Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow important is order of listening?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 15:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I like to start with the first and end with the last.

Same.

As an example, if you started PF at the back end, like The Wall, or such, and then went backwards, then the first 2 albums would be totally weird and not fun to listen to. If you went in order, how the band went from square one to the end, makes a lot better sense and also explains the band better, while also helping clarify and see how the music developed.

Interesting topic ... I'm not sure that listening to Beethoven's 9th first before anything else, is going to help me enjoy Beethoven even more ... thus, to me, I prefer that we look at the "artist" and their scope of work, as opposed to the order of things. 

IF we look at the "work" within the life of an artist, then the order is not as important, although in rock history, any band changes are very dramatic, but then that's like saying Mozart's 987 exercises for violin and viola and bathtub, showed anything about his talent for opera! Or vice versa!

Interesting question! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 18:19
I don't think there is a right answer here, but ultimately it depends on what your purpose is.  if it's finding music you enjoy listening to, I would start with either the most current or the most acclaimed (by fans or critics - your choice)

if you want to truly understand a band's development (versus 'merely' enjoying their music), chronological is the way to go, along with a look at other sources of info, such as changes in band membership and ideally interviews from the band for the time period in question.

When looking at enjoyment and applying it to a band, there are few i know so well to have a strong opinion.
With PF, i would probably start with DSOTM because of it's sheer impact and move forwards.  The recordings prior to that seem to be a very different band (i'm not sure about Meddle). 
With Rush, i would encourage starting with either Moving Pictures or 2112.  They have so many variations in style, I would be unsure of where to go next, though my instinct would be Signals.

When exploring new bands on PA, I have usually started with one of the highest rated options, usually biasing towards more current releases if ratings are close.  The only risk is sometimes disappointment if the first exposure to a band is far better than other releases.
More heavy prog, please!
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 04:00
When purchasing, I need to find an album that's a good welcome mat for getting into a band. Then I usually check out what's popular, highly rated, has famous songs and good reviews to help me decide where to go next. I like filling in chunks of periods and finally buy the least popular ones to complete the gaps.

When listening, I do also prefer the journey from beginning to most recent. Or at least chunks of important periods.

Sometimes getting to know one period helps me to appreciate more another period. The most recent example is that I bought Supertramp's "Crime of the Century", my first Supertramp album, and I thought it was okay. Then I bought "Even in the Quietest Moments" and "Breakfast in America" together and they really helped me appreciate "Crime" more.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 08:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Interesting topic/notion.

Yeah I guess.. it is important but I suppose often it is just shear luck or timing.

Case in point.. The Decemberists. For years I had heard of this great band coming out of Portland (my home town) but never got around to checking them out. Finally when Crane Wife came out I took the plunge and adored that album.  then I went back and checked out their earlier albums. Loved those, even if different. Then of course HoL came out and smoked anything they had done previously and again different from any of their previous albums.

I don't know if I would have enjoyed the band, become such a fan, if I had started right in with the first. It is good but not the zap to the noggin that some of the later albums were. As far as following their progression, and this band is a good example of that as their albums (until very recently) were definite progressions from album to album. Doesn't really matter where one starts. You can follow it by starting the end, the middle or of course the beginning. The important point is getting hooked on a band, by the band, and that is often the luck of the draw on which album you choose (or fate has chosen) to start with.

Ha Mick, I think I got you into the Decemberists!  (you're welcome)

You're right of course, the order doesn't really matter.  Sometimes you just have to wait for that 'thing' to click and after that you just want more and that's what leads you back (or forward) in a band's discography.

I didn't get into the Decemberists at first either.  My oldest kid went gaga for them from the beginning with 'The Tain' and didn't understand why I wasn't interested even a little.  A few years later he and I spent an evening watching the 'A Practical Handbook' DVD and that turned out to be one of those days I won't forget until the Alzheimer's kicks in.  I was totally smitten and dove headfirst into their back catalog, never looking back.  By the time 'Hazards of Love' came out I was a total fanboy, waiting impatiently for anything new they felt the need to push out.

Genesis was another interesting one for me.  I never 'got' those guys growing up, they seemed like a weird English folk band with no sense of melody to me.  'Lamb' was one of those albums my prog-nerd friends praised but I couldn't manage to sit through more than a few minutes without getting bored.  Then I went to see their 'Duke' tour and was really impressed with their live stage presence.  After that I worked my way back into the early stuff and slowly came to appreciate just how innovative they were in the early days.  Same goes for Yes who I didn't think much of until I saw them on the 9012Live tour.  I eventually ended up here on PA and spent a very engrossing autumn working my way chronologically through their discography writing reviews.  It wasn't until then I realized their best work came before 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' and the lounge act called 'Big Generator'.  And for years I thought 'Bungle in the Jungle' represented all that Jethro Tull had to offer, but then I happened upon 'Aqualung' and released how much I was missing.

On the other hand Marillion was a band that grabbed me from the very beginning, and it was only well into the Hogarth era that I started to lose interest.  R.E.M. was like that too, I was hooked the first time I heard 'Chronic Town' and looked forward to experiencing every album after that as soon as it released.

So yeah, the order of listening doesn't seem to matter much.  I think what happens is that something in a song or the setting or the timing or even an album cover just clicks.  After that the rest just happens.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 11:18
I recently did an order listening with David Bowie, but only because I bought a Censored ton of his albums when I found out he passed away. It didn't affect my opinion of his work, seeing as I was already a fan, but it was certainly interesting.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 09:33
I've tried to get into bands by entering in their discography release after release, 1970 after 1969, the first before the second, etc... But I'm not sure it's always the best way to discover a band: as an example, I still think that Iron Maiden's Powerslave (1984) is better than their very first LP (1980), the music of Yes in '71-'72 was superior to their '69-'70 first LPs, and Tangerine Dream's Phaedra is more fascinating than the harsh (and somewhat recorded in a hurry) Electronic Meditation.
Of course, there are also some bands which made a better music at their beginnings: I first discovered Cabaret Voltaire with Groovy, Laidback and Nasty (1990) and... Well, it really took me some courage to try their earlier material!

Furthermore, not being from a filthy rich family, I couldn't go and buy records every month and I had to rent them at my local library: so, there are a lot of bands/musicians whose discographies I've explored in a... less than straightforward way, due to the fact that I had to wait days or weeks before the records that I was looking for were returned!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 09:54
Order of listening is not important to me at all. Almost all of my listening time right now is spent looking for new music (usually 2010 or newer).
If I find something I like I will look for other albums by that band and will listen to those in the order I find them. I seldom, if ever, listen in chronological order. 
sokorny View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 00:17
In regards to Mastodon I got on board with their Leviathan album which was amazing ... and then I was blown away with their Crack the Skye album (still by far my favourite album by them).

In general I will visit music review sites to find out what most classifiy as the band's best album (if I am trying to get into them). I did this with bands such as Haken, Leprous, Gentle Giant etc.

Other times I hear a particular album and then will check out their back catalogue (I did this with Protest the Hero "Volition").

To me it really depends on the evolution of the band and their sound, and also your personal choices. I have a few friends who are more traditional metal fans who have shown interest in Dream Theater, so I recommended they check out Train of Thought or Systematic Chaos. However for others more interested in prog music I'd recommend Images and Words, Metropolis, Six Degrees etc.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 07:40
I tend to see out the most popular and raved about albums of a band first and then if i like them i pursue further. Sometimes a little appreciated early discography takes me by surprise and i actually like it better than the later more popular albums (Magma and Sonic Youth for example) and sometimes i totally agree with the consensus of the masses (David Bowie and Radiohead for example). Once i deem a band worthy of investigating i usually start at the beginning after being exposed to another later album first. You also have to take EPs into mind. Many bands have crap loads of EPs that sit in between actually full release albums. These are very indicative of what a band is all about as well since they often incorporate different musical approaches not heard on full-lenth releases
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 11:51

For me, it depends on whether I think I'll like the band based on others' reviews. If I think the music will be right up my alley, I will buy the albums in order of release, so as to appreciate the band's musical development.

On the other hand, if the band if from a subgenre I'm not familiar with, or their music is somewhat outside my comfort zone, or the early music is dramatically different in style their later style, I will tend to start with their highest rated albums first.

For example, like many others on PA, for Gordon Giltrap I skipped the folk albums and jumped directly to Visionary. I then bought his next couple of albums in order. In contrast, I bought the first five Rainbow albums in order (insert joke about having bough one, or two, or three too many), skipped the next couple of albums due to not enjoying the 80s pop-rock sound, and took a chance with the last one (being relatively satisfied with it).

Another consideration is price. For example, if the debut album is out of print and relatively expensive, I have no qualms about buying an mp3 version of a later album, as long as it's still relatively well-received. I usually don't buy compilations, since I figure that if I like the band, I'll buy most of their albums anyway.

Edited by Replayer - May 31 2016 at 11:53
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 15:02
It seems there are two different 'order of listenings' being mentioned here: song order on an actual album and order of albums by a specific band. 
Obviously the band meant for a certain order on an album so I suppose that matters (especially on themed or concept albums...)....but regarding chronological order of releases...it depends on when one first 'discovers' a band and how one progresses through their catalog.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 20:07
Hey Osh - there's lots of discussion of how people end up getting into bands here, but if I understand you were also specifically asking for people to list good listening order of albums, right?  So that you can find new music you like?

I don't think I'd go as far as to order an entire discography, but this might be a good place for people to pick out what they think is either a band's finest album or most accessible one.  For example, for me I'd say Opeth's finest is Deliverance, so I'd say start there with them.  But if someone were to list the most accessible, they'd say Damnation.  (Nowhere near as good in my opinion and not at all representative of everything else they've done, but definitely accessible).

Are there some bands you are thinking about trying and want some recommendations?
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 22:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It seems there are two different 'order of listenings' being mentioned here: song order on an actual album and order of albums by a specific band. 
Obviously the band meant for a certain order on an album so I suppose that matters (especially on themed or concept albums...)....but regarding chronological order of releases...it depends on when one first 'discovers' a band and how one progresses through their catalog.

There are albums that i feel would be better with a different track order. Led Zep 4 comes to mind. The damn thing should have ended with Stairway To Heaven. What a great closer it would have been.

It's also fun to just throw your whole library on DJ list on an older Itunes setting (they took it away Cry) and listen to all your faves randomly. Woohoo!!!!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 02:52
Well, when you were a kid in the 70's and discovering bands as you went along, you obviously didn't follow their albums chronologically, unless you could afford buying a few albums of the same band at once.

I often started a band on hunches, choosing between cover artworks, instruments & line-ups and track list and lengths, and I must say I was rather good at it
However in the 70's & 80's in Toronto, I also often relied of Vortex Records' Bert's advice on which album to start with... to say that I rarely started with the debut album.

Didn't stop me from enjoying the band's overall oeuvre... I was never one to love a particular album because I started onto the band with it.

However, if I have a chance to discover a band nowadays (no matter what decade), I'd tend to start more or less chronologically. However rating sites tend to also skew these chronological attempts

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 12:43
I generally try to seek out the 'best' album first (generally ones that are highest rated, either by people here I trust or places such as allmusic). If I'm trying to get into a band, I don't really have the time and patient to sift through crap/average albums to determine if I want to explore the band further.

Thankfully, with youtube and bandcamp and soundcloud and etc. finding samples is much easier nowadays (even compared to 10 years ago) so I generally have a decent idea of if I want to take the plunge with a full album.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12