Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you think I am musically ready for a release?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you think I am musically ready for a release?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you think I am musically ready for a release?
    Posted: May 22 2016 at 21:02
Hey guys, my name is Sage Judd. I am 19 years old and I play Piano, Saxophone, and Bass. I make my own music and recordings in a variety of unique styles that draw on a wide variety of influences. I try to incorporate various progressive rock/metal and electronic/hip-hop influences into a primarily jazz-based sound. Sometimes my college music friends appear as guests on some tracks as well. The first two tracks on this post are going to be released on an ep that will most likely be done this summer. The other two are a bit older, but give a good insight into my personal style/approach.

I put a lot of effort into writing, playing, and recording my own music, and I hope you enjoy it! I'll post several tracks here, all of them link back to my soundcloud. I update it fairly regularly, and it is the best place to follow my music.

This is my most recent composition. It is primarily inspired by Zappa's more dark prog-rock works and by a lot of experimental 20th century harmonic devices. There is some math rock influence in there as well. It sounds kind of boss-battle esque, and I am very happy with how it turned out. I used a Yamaha P-105 digital keyboard and a MicroKorg synthesizer for all of my keyboard sounds on this one.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/synth-test-2

This is my other most recent track. This one is a lot more jazz and hip-hop inspired, but it has a lot of rock sensibility. For the synth sound, I actually ran my MicroKorg through an amp simulator and a cab impulse within Cubase. This gave it a really cool distortion, and a tone that sounds like the halfway point between an electric guitar and a synth. The same drum patch as the previous track was used. I'm pretty proud of this one. I also used some chopped up/distorted rhodes patches for the bassline and stutter effects.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/sage-judd-catnip

I had a college friend help me with brass and I did saxophones on this track. We were going for a merging of a big-band jazz sound with elements of prog rock and metal. Somewhat Zappa-inspired. There were some reverse horns and various ambient techniques used on this track as well.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/sage-judd-groof

And finally, I wrote this song a while back when I was on a massive trip-hop kick. I was also listening to a lot of the Brecker brothers. My friend supplied trombone and trumpet, while I did sax and keys. In the solos later, we experimented with various harmonizers. The trumpet had an octave-up pitch shifted harmony, and then a delay. The sax at one point has a fifth-up pitch shifted harmony as well. 

I hope you enjoy, I loved making each of these songs. There are more on my soundcloud page. I am always open and very appreciative of any feedback, I love to hear what you guys think!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 21:36
Very avant garde. I'm no fan of cats but I like Catnip the most.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 08:22
I am by no means an expert on this style of music and am only listening to it on earbuds at work, but to answer your question: Yes, you are clearly ready for a release. I liked all four samples you provided, especially the first two. I think the production and mix on these four are all fine (again, I'm only using earbuds attached to a PC). As compositions, I'm impressed with the complexity of the music while at the same time retaining hooks to attract a wide range of listeners. Very nicely done. I wish I could play instruments like that.

When you do have an official release, I would recommend you go to this forum and suggest yourself to be added to the Archives: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1

Jazz Rock/Fusion seems to be the subgenre your music would fit best in for this site, based on these four songs; maybe even Eclectic Prog. Some other more experienced members of PA could further comment on that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 13:32
Originally posted by sage.judd sage.judd wrote:

Hey guys, my name is Sage Judd. I am 19 years old and I play Piano, Saxophone, and Bass. I make my own music and recordings in a variety of unique styles that draw on a wide variety of influences. I try to incorporate various progressive rock/metal and electronic/hip-hop influences into a primarily jazz-based sound. Sometimes my college music friends appear as guests on some tracks as well. The first two tracks on this post are going to be released on an ep that will most likely be done this summer. The other two are a bit older, but give a good insight into my personal style/approach.

I put a lot of effort into writing, playing, and recording my own music, and I hope you enjoy it! I'll post several tracks here, all of them link back to my soundcloud. I update it fairly regularly, and it is the best place to follow my music.

This is my most recent composition. It is primarily inspired by Zappa's more dark prog-rock works and by a lot of experimental 20th century harmonic devices. There is some math rock influence in there as well. It sounds kind of boss-battle esque, and I am very happy with how it turned out. I used a Yamaha P-105 digital keyboard and a MicroKorg synthesizer for all of my keyboard sounds on this one.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/synth-test-2

This is my other most recent track. This one is a lot more jazz and hip-hop inspired, but it has a lot of rock sensibility. For the synth sound, I actually ran my MicroKorg through an amp simulator and a cab impulse within Cubase. This gave it a really cool distortion, and a tone that sounds like the halfway point between an electric guitar and a synth. The same drum patch as the previous track was used. I'm pretty proud of this one. I also used some chopped up/distorted rhodes patches for the bassline and stutter effects.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/sage-judd-catnip

I had a college friend help me with brass and I did saxophones on this track. We were going for a merging of a big-band jazz sound with elements of prog rock and metal. Somewhat Zappa-inspired. There were some reverse horns and various ambient techniques used on this track as well.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/sage-judd-groof

And finally, I wrote this song a while back when I was on a massive trip-hop kick. I was also listening to a lot of the Brecker brothers. My friend supplied trombone and trumpet, while I did sax and keys. In the solos later, we experimented with various harmonizers. The trumpet had an octave-up pitch shifted harmony, and then a delay. The sax at one point has a fifth-up pitch shifted harmony as well. 

I hope you enjoy, I loved making each of these songs. There are more on my soundcloud page. I am always open and very appreciative of any feedback, I love to hear what you guys think!

Yes. Make more music. First track reminds me of Birds and Buildings more aggressive songs. Love it.
sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 01:04
Shameless self bump/new track combo!

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/slow-jamz-for-sad-yamz

This one is a lot more somber than my normal tracks. I tried to make it very soundscape-esque and bittersweet. I got Zach to do trumpet and trombone on this one and I threw some saxophone on there too, and I think it turned out really well. 

This is another track that is going to be on an EP that will be done very soon. Evil Is Bad 4 U and the synth test I posted earlier will be as well. I am just posting them here because I am not really concerned about some of my material from my release getting out early, not enough people care about me yet to call anything a 'leak', lol
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 01:10
The smarmy in my rejects the substitute for s with z.

Good stuff though! Wink
http://fryingpanmedia.com
sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 01:20
Thank you for listening! My choice in z was based in my own desire to make myself throw up a bit when I see my own title, haha

Edited by sage.judd - June 03 2016 at 13:05
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 00:51
I just started listening a few minutes ago but you sure sound ready to me.  It sounds professional, the quality is good, timing is excellent, and you seem to have all your musical ducks in a row (meaning nothing sounds empty like you're waiting on a part).

This is pretty wild!   Big change from "Evil" to "Yamz" in style.  I like it when artists switch it up.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
 Post Reply Post Reply