Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (172)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [12.50%]
2 [25.00%]
1 [12.50%]
4 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (172)
    Posted: May 27 2016 at 00:19
Michael Bundt : Just Landed Cosmic Kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wwa201LScU

Elephants Memory : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC17RRpqAHk

Le Groupe X : Frrrrrigidaire 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZnqz_uFMs

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 : Strangers From The Universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Fz_S8345Y
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 00:20
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 Strangers From The Universe album cover

Review by LearsFool 
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
LearsFool avatar
5 stars A crazed, fun, rocking record from your Local 282. Here, we have a very rock oriented oddity, with the guitars and mandolin sometimes being made to sound like sitar as well. And of course, as quirky and hilarious as ever with the lyrics and singing. "My Pal The Tortoise" and "February" particularly stick out from the weird, euphoric soundscape. In fact, "February" has to stand as the best track, with the sitar sounding mandolin and the ever rocky guitar playing to their fullest amongst complex craziness and a bit of noise. "Socket" and "Pull My Pants Up Tight" are also stellar, the latter being a calmer, quieter respite. And "Cup of Dreams" has an intro that is either eighty years old, or some dour electronics, before some more great rock-via-sitar. All of this is performed brilliantly by our band, especially Hageman pulling off the sitar-out-of-mandolin playing. Very energetic and enjoyable, and as odd as can be expected from a quirky avant prog band with way too much skill and time. Highly recommended, just excellent.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 00:24
Afficher limage dorigine

After spending some time with Peter Seiler in a duo called Sirius, Michael Bundt (ex-Medusa) went on to record several solo electronic works that resembled both the space majesty of early Jean Michel Jarre and the quirky krautrockish kinetics of Moebius & Plank. Michael Bundt used to play the bass with several bands as Nine Days Wonder on We Never Lost Control and Only the Dancers, Wintergarden on Wintergarden III, Medusa on a CBS single, and German Band called Nerve. His debut solo album Just Landed Cosmic Kid was originally released in 1977, was the first of 3 solo LP’s made around the time. This seminal album contains luscious space electronica throughout, and was one of the first cosmic disco albums ever penned. It has since become a collectors item, mainly for its main highlight The Brain Of Oscar Panizza which has been hailed by many as one of the seminal early krautrock tracks, as is still played in many club mixes…. But if you did a little deeper the album has a whole host of treasures including La Chasse Aux Microbes, gorgeous 8 min emotional-space trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG0w5EBqF-Y
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 01:01
Hey, I got quoted! Big smile

And an easy vote for the 282.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 01:06
Thumbs Up Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 03:46
Afficher limage dorigine

4.0 out of 5 stars
By Rand Higbee on January 16, 2005
Format: Audio CD
Elephant's Memory is a difficult group to pin down. With shifting lineups (Carly Simon actually once sang for them!) and a constantly evolving sound, even the guy who wrote the liner notes for this CD can't quite seem to keep it all straight. (Ask yourself who the lead female voice is on this album. Though nothing on this CD actually indicates it, the singer must be Martha Velez.)

One is tempted to say that Elephant's Memory was a product of the 60s and leave it at that. A combination of acid rock and jazz, this 1969 first album from the group might remind you a bit of Jefferson Airplane with a Big Band/Jazz twist.

The album is a little too inconsistent to be called a classic, but it has enough good tracks and showed enough promise to warrant the 4 stars I give it. "Band of Love" is probably the best of the bunch here, with a feel good chorus where it sounds like the entire band joins in to sing along. "Yogurt Song" and "Hot Dog Man" show the group was not above having a little fun, while "Don't Put Me on Trial No More" and "Takin' a Walk" show signs of the harder direction the group would soon take.

Elephant's Memory grabbed their 15 minutes of fame in 1972 when John Lennon discovered the group and used them as the backing band for his album "Sometime in New York City." What could have been a star turning break for the group ended in disappointment as the album became Lennon's biggest mistake. Bad reviews and bad sales made Lennon quickly forget about Elephant's Memory.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 03:49
Afficher limage dorigine

3.00 stars
Le Groupe X is nothing else than a name invented by Italian composer Gianluigi Pezzera.However the main occupation of Pezzera was sound engineering and in fact he became known during the 70's as a sound technician for several Pop, Jazz and Rock artists, among them Franco Battiato, with whom he worked on at least three albums, ''Pollution'', ''Sulle corde di Aries'' and ''Clic''.His first album with the very strange title ''Frrrrrigidaire'' was released on the C.P.T. label, actually a branch of the Italian EMI.It is however unclear if the whole album was performed only by Pezzera or he was backed up by a group.

Anyway, musically ''Frrrrrigidaire'' proposes an all instrumental keyboard-based Progressive/Art Rock with the synthesizers of Pezzera in evidence, switching from melancholic moods with a Classical edge to pleasant and quirky keyboard Fusion with lots of acrobatics and impressive skills.The music is often quite similar to the Library albums of BRAEN'S MACHINE with piano and dual keyboards leading the way in dreamy, atmospheric or more complicated themes.The dramatic title-track is definitely the highlight of the first side with a style crossing the borders of GOBLIN and LE ORME and lots of shifting climates.The flipside is dominated by the 13-min. suite ''Multi Facet'', where Pezzera's inspirations are fully revealed.Filled with cinematic textures, Folk touches, experimental bites, jazzy segments and of course symphonic flavors, this piece shifts between ambiental and rich soundscapes with either mellow passages or full-blown proggy parts and comes as a nice package of multi-influenced Progressive Rock, albeit a bit uneven.A more pronounced jazzy taste is offered in the closing ''Transfert 2002'' and the combination of synthesizers and piano along with a discreet brass section.Overall, the music is nice and elegant, not helped by some bland moments with a partly cheesy sound.

The album remains very rare until today and if you have the bucks to purchase it be sure to be a lover of keyboard-driven Prog/Fusion.If so, the chances to love this effort are more than high.Recommended.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 09:07
Only knew Thinking Fellers and I voted for them. I liked the other three as well.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 09:09
A great album Thumbs Up Hope to find the vinyl in Montreal tomorrow. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 19:18
I owned the Michael Bundt LP once, sold it, and haven't regretted it ever since. So this time the only one I knew already is ranked 4. Le Groupe X is kind of fun but ultimately the way they put together the different parts sounds too arbitrary and random to me. The Thinking Fellers one seems like a good album that would take me more time to get into probably. Elephant's Memory is very charming and as a fan of Broadcast singer Trish (RIP) I gotta give them my vote.

Edited by Lewian - May 28 2016 at 19:19
 Post Reply Post Reply