Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCourt Of The Crimson King vs. Wake Of Poseidon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which album do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
53 [80.30%]
13 [19.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Court Of The Crimson King vs. Wake Of Poseidon
    Posted: May 28 2016 at 06:13
Greetings to all of you,

I would really like to know your opinion on a topic which I have thought about a lot recently. It concerns the first two King Crimson albums "In The Court Of The Crimson King" and "In The Wake Of Poseidon".

It always surprises me that many people I talk to seem to prefer In The Court Of The Crimson King to In The Wake of Poseidon. Well, I am of the opposite opinion, so I am prone to say that In The Wake Of Poseidon is kind of the better In The Court Of The Crimson King and I have listed some points below that may explain what makes me think so:

1. In The Wake Of Poseidon works better as an album (for example due to the circumstance that we are guided by the Peace-Themes here), furhtermore because
2. In The Wake Of Poseidon has the better songs (the Peace Themes, Cadence And Cascade [to me one of the best Crimson songs ever], Pictures Of A City, In The Wake Of Poseidon, The Devil's Triangle)
3. because In The Wake Of Poseidon-songs that sound somewhat similiar to tracks from In The Court Of The Crimson King are not mere epigones and tend to sound more "grown up" than their "predecessors" (like "In The Wake Of Poseidon" is far more emotional than "Epitaph", at least to my ears)
4. because In The Wake Of Poseidon has a coherent atmosphere other than In The Court Of The Crimson King.

In the end, let me emphasize that this is criticism at the highest stage and that In The Court Of The Crimson King, especially seen in music-historical terms, was a milestone in rock music and that one may hardly doubt that the first Crimson-album is a masterpiece.

What do you think?
Mesmo a tristeza da gente era mais bela
E além disso se via da janela
Um cantinho de céu e o Redentor

- Antônio Carlos Jobim, Toquinho & Vinícius de Moraes - Carta ao Tom 74
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 06:18
In the Court IS the better album, BUT I think In the Wake is also among my personal favorites from the group. Top 4, actually, along with Discipline and Larks' Tongues in Aspic.
Progrockdude
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 06:50
Hard choice, but I think Court. As a side note, am I the only one, who thinks In The Wake Of Poseidon has an absolutely hideous cover?
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 07:20
In the Wake may be more consistent, but it never rises beyond consistency; whereas the songs that work on In the Court are overwhelming and obviously more memorable.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 07:31
I like both just about equally. Good albums without being mindblowing (unless you experienced ITCHYCOCK first hand back in 1969). Used to have a preference for Poseidon, but I gather that's down to it being my first Chin Fingsome purchase.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 08:34
I too like both. But, have to go with the first release...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 10:06
Love them both but Poseidon (at least vinyl side 1) is really an attempt to replicate the successful formula of the debut a little too closely...albeit with the Peace theme floating around, but still...

Pictures of a City == Schizoid Man (brash sax with fast unison run middle)
Cadence ==  I Talk (calms things down with a mostly acoustic twisted prog ballad)
In the Wake == Epitaph (mellotron drenched Lake vocal)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 10:41
I heard Poseidon first, and it blew my mind away. When I got to hear Islands, I thought this group was up to something serious, and decide to look for the rest of their albums. When I heard In The Court, I could see how the band had evolved and grown, but still, I really loved their first release, so, for very personal reasons, Poseidon gets my vote, mainly because for me, is the album that open the door to the King Crimson experience.
Badabec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 10:53
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Love them both but Poseidon (at least vinyl side 1) is really an attempt to replicate the successful formula of the debut a little too closely...albeit with the Peace theme floating around, but still...

Pictures of a City == Schizoid Man (brash sax with fast unison run middle)
Cadence ==  I Talk (calms things down with a mostly acoustic twisted prog ballad)
In the Wake == Epitaph (mellotron drenched Lake vocal)

You may have a point, but I would not compare Cadence And Cascade with I Talk To The Wind becaues both songs have a different colour of sound and Cadence And Cascade takes more a direction towards the Lizard-album (which is my favourite King Crimson album by the way) whereas I Talk To The Wind is - in my opinion - by far not as playful as Cadence And Cascade.

This may be another point why I like In The Wake Of Poseidon more than In The Court Of The Crimson King: because it is more playful than its predecessor, I think.
Mesmo a tristeza da gente era mais bela
E além disso se via da janela
Um cantinho de céu e o Redentor

- Antônio Carlos Jobim, Toquinho & Vinícius de Moraes - Carta ao Tom 74
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 10:55
Hard decision for me... I like both of them equally.

I like Peace Theme's but they don't make the difference to me.

It really depends of my mood, i've been more involved on "In the Wake of Poseidon" lately, but it's still hard, so no vote. Ermm

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 11:08
In the Wake of Poseidon, because I can at least tolerate it unlike The Court. 

Edited by Pastmaster - May 28 2016 at 11:10
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 12:49
ICOTCK no question. Poseidon is almost the same album.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 17:18
In the wake for sure. The songs are just better. In the court is outdated and a couple of songs are a bit boring and show the bands lack of experience together. Wake is not a copy. They are the same band so of course they will have a similar sound. To say in the court is better is just wrong imo
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 18:58
If I could forget what came first it'd probably be a draw. I can enjoy them pretty much equally well when listening to them. But I can't forget  that Court came first and was super original whereas Wake was kind of like Court.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 19:48
In the Court, although Cadence and the title track of in the Wake are both as good or better than their counterparts on in the Court.  
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 20:26
Ik the Wake,... but both are unique albuns, but In wake have more developed ideas and ecplores more fields
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 21:35
I prefer the debut but not by much. Poseidon is very underrated, I like it more than Lizard, Larks and Islands.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 22:39
In the Court, very easily. I do see the resemblance between both albums, like trying to copy their debut, but that's not what really bothers me from Poseidon... it's rather that I prefer every single equivalent song from ItCotCK.
- The Peace Themes are just forgetable. Too short, and if I remember well, barely audible.
- I really like 21st Century Schizoid Man (though it took be a while to get used to it, and I still prefer later live versions with guitars playing the parts of the Sax), while Pictures of a City is just annoying.
- I Talk to the Wind is beautiful, though still not among my favourite Crimson songs, Cadence and Cascade is just boring, and I prefer Lake singing much better than Haskell.
- In the Wake of Poseidon is indeed a wonderful song, by far my favourite on the album, but I still like Epitaph much better (my favourite Crimson Song, along with Starless, and the one with the most emotive singing from Crimson, Greg Lake, and one of the most emotive for me in prog and rock)... and I would also compare In the Wake with The Court of the Crimson King... and I do like Court a bit better too.
- Cat Food is a nice little song with some really interesting piano, but still not nearly enough to make the album better.
- I guess The Devil's Triangle could be related to Moonchild... and in a way to The Court. Related to Moonchild because of the long improvisation/ambient nature of the song... in which case Devil's Triangle may be a bit better, but because of the more traditional and beautiful song format at the beginning of Moonchild I give the nod to that one. And I could relate it to The Court because of the use of Mellotron and that it's got a small reprise from the main theme from Court... but still the song on the debut is much more enjoyable to me, while Devil's Triangle sort of goes into improvisation territory that I don't really enjoy so much (in any case, I much prefer the early live versions of Mars over Devil's Triangle).

So, all in all, I find ItCotCK far superior and more enjoyable... easily a 5 star album (despite the long improv section on Moonchild), while In the Wake would be... just about a 3 star album, I guess.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 23:37
Cadence, cat food, Poseidon and pictures are excellent. I only think schizoid is excellent from debut but even that rips off the Beatles a bit with the vocals

Edited by dr prog - May 29 2016 at 17:53
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 00:29
debut
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>