Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCourt Of The Crimson King vs. Wake Of Poseidon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which album do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
53 [80.30%]
13 [19.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 00:50
Court. Poseidon's title track was "meh", but everything else is peachy. I think had they put in "Groon" and Lake's "Lucky Man" on the original release, it would have been on the level as Court.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 03:15
I believe there is a underlining concept that ties In Court, In Wake and Lizard, loosly but a theme non-the-less
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 05:18
Any similarity between ITCOTCK and ITWOP is largely due to the composition and recording time period - they're very close. Had CDs been around in 1969 much of the material may have been just one album; it's a little like part 1 and 2 (a little like Sgt Pepper and Mystery Tour for me). The music is all part of an era which is hardly a problem; few negatively criticize Mozart piano sonatas for being similar at times.

It's really a perception defined by the limitations of the record medium.

I would note that personnel changes on Poseidon give it a different, um, for want of a better word, mottled patina.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 08:41
I agree that Posiedon is probably better. I always perfected Pictures of a City over Schizoid Man. On Posiedon, you get the funny piano-happy Cat Food, but on ITCOTCK, your stuck with Moonchild. I love Court, but Poseidon just has better songs and a better tune
User Banned for this Post
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 10:03
In the Court of the Crimson Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 10:51
In the Wake of Poseidon. It may not have the historic significance of Itchycock (which may be considered the first sign of maturity of prog), but I think it is in many ways an improvement.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 18:22
I bought ITCOTCK soon after it came out and thought "some of this is interesting", but I hated Moonchild.

I bought ITWOP on the day of release on the strength of ITCOTCK, as I figured that they would improve with experience. Instead, I thought "this is pretty mediocre - it's the same music recycled". After a few weeks, I thought "this is pretentious crap" and got rid of it.

Since then, I can only listen to Epitaph and the title track from the debut; Moonchild makes me cringe.

Not a Crimson fan!

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 21:43
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Any similarity between ITCOTCK and ITWOP is largely due to the composition and recording time period - they're very close. Had CDs been around in 1969 much of the material may have been just one album; it's a little like part 1 and 2 (a little like Sgt Pepper and Mystery Tour for me). The music is all part of an era which is hardly a problem; few negatively criticize Mozart piano sonatas for being similar at times.

It's really a perception defined by the limitations of the record medium.

I would note that personnel changes on Poseidon give it a different, um, for want of a better word, mottled patina.

For me the problem is not so much that the songs are similar, but that I just don't like them as much. If they had all been as good as their counterparts from Court I would really love the album and not care if it followed the same pattern.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 21:45
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I bought ITCOTCK soon after it came out and thought "some of this is interesting", but I hated Moonchild.

I bought ITWOP on the day of release on the strength of ITCOTCK, as I figured that they would improve with experience. Instead, I thought "this is pretty mediocre - it's the same music recycled". After a few weeks, I thought "this is pretentious crap" and got rid of it.

Since then, I can only listen to Epitaph and the title track from the debut; Moonchild makes me cringe.

Not a Crimson fan!

If you like Epitaph and Court of the Crimson King from the debut, you may also like the title track from Poseidon... it wouldn't hurt to give it a try on Youtube or something. Those three make a very nice set of songs with a very similar feel.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 03:11
Pity lake didn't sing on lizard. Would have improved indoor games and and happy family

Edited by dr prog - May 30 2016 at 03:13
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Daveprogger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 09:18
In The Court Of The Crimson King, until recently i only owned Court, i did hear Poseidon, and the other albums, But Court is the best of the two, and the best of all crimson albums, i very happy in the last year i now own every album.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 10:51
My vote is Wake by a very large margin. 
  1. The production on Wake is much better. Court sounds incredibly, incredibly dated.
  2. I find it interesting people think that Wake is just a carbon copy of Court, but never pick up on the fact that side one of Larks' Tongues follows the exact same mold (i.e. distorted jump-scare song, peaceful number, morose ballad).
  3. Picture of A City is more amped up than Schizoid Man, IMO. While Schizoid Man just gives 'er right from the start, Pictures of a City has a lot more tension from all of the dynamic changes and build-ups and releases, then when the first verse starts it's like they kick the volume up just an extra notch. Also, the fast middle section in Pictures is more frantic. Overall a far more powerful opener. 
  4. Cadence and Cascade is not a carbon copy of I Talk To The Wind; they convey very different emotions. Cadence and Cascade is almost joyful, I Talk To The Wind is just bleak and depressing.
I consider both to be 5 star albums, but I would have no probably calling Court a high 4.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

...I find it interesting people think that Wake is just a carbon copy of Court, but never pick up on the fact that side one of Larks' Tongues follows the exact same mold (i.e. distorted jump-scare song, peaceful number, morose ballad)...

Holy Censored, I'm not the only one who thought that! LOL

I think some fans do pick up on that, but give it a pass because it changes up the formula a bit. "Schizoid" and "Pictures" have a verse/verse/wacky jazz instrumental/verse/noisy code structure, while "Larks..., Part 1" structure is more complex, which is ambinet/heavy metal/funk/Mahavishnu Orchestra meets Quadrophenia-era Who/violin solo/another heavy metal/ambient. "Book Of Saturday" is written in a different key than "I Talk To The Wind" and "Cadence And Cascade" and it's similarities are not as explicit. As for "Exiles", it... well... okay, it's another ballad, though, interestingly, I think it has more in common with "In The Wake Of Poseidon" than "Epitaph". 

Oh, and for a bonus, "Easy Money" kind of reminds me of "Ladies Of The Road" and "Talking Drum" is the "Devil's Triangle" of the album, though its sound is less Holst and more, say, Santana. "Larks,... Part 2" is the one track that comes closest to being its own entity.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - May 30 2016 at 12:34
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 22:05
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

...<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I find it interesting people think that Wake is just a carbon copy of Court, but never pick up on the fact that side one of Larks' Tongues follows the exact same mold (i.e. distorted jump-scare song, peaceful number, morose ballad)...</span>

Holy Censored, I'm not the only one who thought that! LOL

I think some fans do pick up on that, but give it a pass because it changes up the formula a bit. "Schizoid" and "Pictures" have a verse/verse/wacky jazz instrumental/verse/noisy code structure, while "Larks..., Part 1" structure is more complex, which is ambinet/heavy metal/funk/Mahavishnu Orchestra meets Quadrophenia-era Who/violin solo/another heavy metal/ambient. "Book Of Saturday" is written in a different key than "I Talk To The Wind" and "Cadence And Cascade" and it's similarities are not as explicit. As for "Exiles", it... well... okay, it's another ballad, though, interestingly, I think it has more in common with "In The Wake Of Poseidon" than "Epitaph". 
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Oh, and for a bonus, "Easy Money" kind of reminds me of "Ladies Of The Road" and "Talking Drum" is the "Devil's Triangle" of the album, though its sound is less Holst and more, say, Santana. "Larks,... Part 2" is the one track that comes closest to being its own </span>entity<span style="line-height: 1.4;">.</span>

I hadn't thought about the "Larks Tongues" similarity, but even if it follows the same (or similar) mold, it's got very important differences that make it different. Besides, it does have better songs than "Poseidon". "Larks part one" is instrumental and mostly sounds like an improv... it actually doesn't sound anything like either "Schizoid Man" or "Pictures" to me. "Book of Saturday" is... well, it's forgettable, but it doesn't have any flute (which is a key element for "I Talk to the Wind" and "Cadence". "Exiles" may be a ballad as "Epitaph" or "Poseidon" (and "The Court of the Crimson King" too)... but the great difference is that the other 2 are heavy on "Mellotron" sound in a Moody Blues stile, giving them a sound that "Exiles" doesn't have. For me, "Easy Money" sounds closer to "Schizoid Man" than anything else (mostly because of the live versions, which are sort of heavier and I listen to them more often), and has nothing to do with "Moonchild". "Talking Drum" may have a little to do with the "Moonchild" ambient part, or "Devil's Triangle", but really, not a copy at all. And "Larks 2" indeed doesn't seem to have any counterpart at all.    Also, the completley different line-up and rather different instruments use make a very big difference in the sound. No sax nor flute; much less use of Mellotron, and when it's used it doesn't take the shining spot as with "Epitaph", "Court", and "Poseidon"; Wetton sounds very different than Lake (and for me much less enjoyable); the inclusion of the violin, of course; and the rhythm section works very different... even more so because of Jamie Muir.

Edited by Dellinger - May 31 2016 at 22:09
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 22:07
I find it rather curious that on the posts there are mostly people praising Poseidon over Court, but on the votes Court is winning by a very large margin. And this is not the first time I note this sort of things on polls.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 22:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I find it rather curious that on the posts there are mostly people praising Poseidon over Court, but on the votes Court is winning by a very large margin. And this is not the first time I note this sort of things on polls.

That's because the ones voting court don't really care and just vote it because it came first and is meant to be a landmark album. But listening seriously Poseidon is a high quality album and debut is just good enough to get a pass mark imo

Edited by dr prog - May 30 2016 at 22:23
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 22:27
Once Sinfield, Giles, McDonald and Lake all left, the band were just a bits and pieces band who lost their melody

Edited by dr prog - May 30 2016 at 22:28
Cookie13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 09:34
In The Court Of The Crimson King.
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 10:00
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Once Sinfield, Giles, McDonald and Lake all left, the band were just a bits and pieces band who lost their melody

"Book Of Saturdays", "Exlies", "Larks...,Part 2", "The Night Watch", "Fracture", "Red", "Fallen Angel", "Starless", "Frame By Frame", "Matte Kudasai", "Indiscipline", "Waiting Man", "Man With An Open Heart", "Dig It", "Three Of A Perfect Pair", okay, I'll stop now. LOL

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - May 31 2016 at 10:01
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

"Book Of Saturdays", "Exlies", "Larks...,Part 2", "The Night Watch", "Fracture", "Red", "Fallen Angel", "Starless", "Frame By Frame", "Matte Kudasai", "Indiscipline", "Waiting Man", "Man With An Open Heart", "Dig It", "Three Of A Perfect Pair", okay, I'll stop now. LOL

You nailed it......too many great songs to name after the so-called 'hey day' of McDonald and Giles and Lake.
btw ..I was always a bit disappointed in McDonald and Giles solo album after they left...for two such talented people it was not that great....a good album but it lacked something imo.

KC is probably my favorite prog band of all time if push came to shove....the first two albums are both very good imho but I'll go with Court for the title track which has always blown me away with it's construction melody and lyrics....but I really like the title track from Poseidon also and I think the album does get dissed too often.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>