Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEuropeans' opinions on UK's EU Referendum...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 06:09
I can believe it.  Normally, I see the funny side to most things but this is no laughing matter.  Four days on I am still disgusted and ashamed.  From that great album by Slapp Happy/Henry Cow, 'we recognised Europe, and broke down and cried...'
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 06:19
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I understand that the person who created the petition (currently at 3,391,020 signatures) was Leave supporter who thought the Remain would win by a small majority. LOL

More amusingly, Nigel Fartrage said back in May: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.LOLLOL

LOL  Oh dear, this is a good old fashioned farce then.  And if that's what he said, then a backpedal looks likely.  If even the Leave voters don't REALLY want to leave the UK, how hard is it going to be to get them to disregard the referendum?
There is a list of examples of EU referendums circulating on social media by Remainers that purports to give precedence that a referendum result can be ignored. Again this list was created by a Leave supporter (MEP and Brexit campaigner Daniel Hannon) to be used in the eventuality of the Leave vote failing and it is just as farcical since it sets no such precedent. 

As I said, the referendum result is approval to leave, it is not legally binding as such. In order to leave the British Government has to invoke Article 50. Juncker is pressing for the UK to invoke it immediately, Cameron said emphatically in his resignation speech that he will leave that to his successor, which means it will not happen until October...

As much as I dislike David Cameron I cannot deny that as a career politician with a degree in PPE (aka the blagger's degree) he is both politically smart and politically astute. He will still go down in history as the PM that lost the EU Referendum but he will not be the PM who pulled the plug on the EU and potentially trigger, and oversee, the breakup of the Union. That dubious honour falls on his replacement which is why there isn't a mad scramble for party leadership following his resignation and why Boris and his cohorts are apparently backpedaling on so many of the promises they made during the campaign.

Edited by Dean - June 27 2016 at 06:38
What?
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 06:46
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

From that great album by Slapp Happy/Henry Cow, 'we recognised Europe, and broke down and cried...'

You know you are a Henry Cow fan, when you've even got the same political views and use quotes from their pieces to describe the surrounding world. Wink
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 06:52
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 06:58
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I can believe it.  Normally, I see the funny side to most things but this is no laughing matter.  Four days on I am still disgusted and ashamed.  From that great album by Slapp Happy/Henry Cow, 'we recognised Europe, and broke down and cried...'

My sentiments exactly.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 07:04
Now they can write lyrics to Desperate Straights...
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 07:52
My British husband (we reside in the US) came home Friday night and announced "I'm going to seek solace in alcohol."

We're both still incredibly upset.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 08:21
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

My British husband (we reside in the US) came home Friday night and announced "I'm going to seek solace in alcohol."

Sometimes it amazes me how opposite motives can cause the same reaction. Anti-EU as I am, my thought on hearing the result was "Nunc est bibendum Beer".
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 11:18
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

This morning I received a text from my elderly cousin living in Dortmund asking me to support her as she was launching a petition on the grounds that non-resident British passport holders were excluded from voting in the referendum (since she has lived in Germany more than 15 years so wasn't eligible for a postal vote). She recognised that this was a Quixotic move that would come to nothing but her level of upset is understandable and she felt she had to do something.

Unfortunately within minutes of me agreeing to support her (even though I don't believe any retrospective action will, or should, change anything) she text'd me back saying her son had convinced her to reconsider as she would not be able to cope with the inevitable backlash this would provoke.
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 12:10
I hold a British passport, but I don't think people who are British by descent (I was born a British citizen simply because my father was English) and are non-residents should get a vote. Nor do I like the idea that people who have been non-residents for many years should get a vote. In my case, what makes me most British is that I watch a lot of British TV, do cryptic crossword puzzles, like to make puns, love roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, and love Marmite and Stilton.

Actually, maybe could it open it to some more provided that they can quote enough Monty Python.

Edited by Logan - June 27 2016 at 12:13
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 12:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I hold a British passport, but I don't think people who are British by descent (I was born a British citizen simply because my father was English) and are non-residents should get a vote. Nor do I like the idea that people who have been non-residents for many years should get a vote. In my case, what makes me most British is that I watch a lot of British TV, do cryptic crossword puzzles, like to make puns, love roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, and love Marmite and Stilton.

Actually, maybe could it open it to some more provided that they can quote enough Monty Python.

Yes, but do you also have bad teeth? LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 12:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'm the same, I haven't lived in England for 18 years & didn't inquire about voting. I hold 2 passports, UK & USA. I still feel very British watching EPL, following all the sports, the wife does a lovely Sunday lunch with roast beef & yorkshire puddings. We watch loads of British television. We import marmite & chocolate. I'm currently sitting at work in my England shirt waiting for the match to kick-off. I do have bad teeth by American standards but they are nuts about that stuff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 13:08
Oh great, just what we need. Bad teeth jokes. Ouch

What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 13:20
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'm the same, I haven't lived in England for 18 years & didn't inquire about voting. I hold 2 passports, UK & USA. I still feel very British watching EPL, following all the sports, the wife does a lovely Sunday lunch with roast beef & yorkshire puddings. We watch loads of British television. We import marmite & chocolate. I'm currently sitting at work in my England shirt waiting for the match to kick-off. I do have bad teeth by American standards but they are nuts about that stuff.

I hold three passports, Brit/Canada/Australia which makes me feel very connected to the Commonwealth. I grew up in a very English part of Vancouver, Canada and have lived most of my life in Canada. I used to complain to my parents about having so many English friends, as I didn't think it good integration, but British culture, and a sense of Britishness, is such a big part of my identity. My mum is Australian, but at her school they were to taught to speak with a British accent and most Australians think she is English. Britain leaving the EU may scupper my plans to move to Europe.

I have good teeth, as did my father, but I do have rather bad breath, mostly due to all of the Marmite and Stilton (doesn't really give bad breath).

Side-note: Since immigration played an important role in people wanting to leave the EU, I wonder if people would be more pleased to welcome migrants who also admire Monty Python? I think I'd like, say, Anjem Choudary more if he loved Monty Python (not that he's a migrant, but first generation, and doesn't consider himself to be British).

Edited by Logan - June 27 2016 at 13:38
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 13:22

Well, with the pound quickly falling down, one can expect British people not being able to pay for their dentist's fee.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 13:27
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Well, with the pound quickly falling down, one can expect British people not being able to pay for their dentist's fee.

Ah, the penny drops....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 13:58

I take it that economics isn't really one of your strong points.
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 15:01
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Recently regarding the BREXIT vote a famous American political humorist said.....
"48% voted for Sense and Sensibility and 52 % voted for Pride and Prejudice".Wink

I think Beardfish is more appropriate then Austen Stern Smile: 48% voted for Comfortzone and 52% voted for The Sane Day.

Although Shakespearean comedy made particularly unfunny by me should not get a word in, but the 48% who voted remain called the results a "Comedy of Errors", the 52% who voted leave said of the results "All's Well That Ends Well" and a number of the eligible people who didn't vote called it "Much Ado About Nothing".   ‎Jeremy Corbyn decried the results as "Love's Labour's Lost", and David Cameron found the whole thing a Tempest.

Okay, Measure for Measure, a pretty poor attempt. I'm no Bill Maher.

Edited by Logan - June 27 2016 at 15:02
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 15:05

Well that would probably be bad if the dentists made you pay in USD. I think the GBP is still at like 1.33 tho

Edited by A Person - June 27 2016 at 15:06
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 17:09
Sometimes an event has to actually occur for people to understand the reality of it, the gravity.   The one good thing to come may be a greater appreciation of what one has, what it means to be part of a larger whole versus by oneself.   I like the Churchill quote Dean posted about England 'Looking to the sea', it's romantic and I'm sure speaks to many.   But the feeling of loss appears quite high right now, and will probably smart for months.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>