Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEuropeans' opinions on UK's EU Referendum...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 16:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Luca Pacchiarini Luca Pacchiarini wrote:

We should call back all our cooks, then after 3 months you'll be crying to get back in again
As a EU supporter and Remain voter I can honestly say you can keep your stroppy cooks and chefs, and your "authentic" trattoria and pizzeria, we can live without them. British chefs and English food were never bad, (just look in any Edwardian or Victorian cook book), it just suffered greatly for the first half of the 20th century because of two world wars and a world depression - we simply forgot what good food and good produce tasted like because we couldn't have it.

Heck yeah--  Yorkshire pudding, Stilton, fish&chips, Shepard's Pie, Cotswold just to start; British fare is among the most tasty and evolved.   As much as I love Italian, Brit cuisine is far more developed.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 16:43
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I blame this ad campaign for Remain losing the referendum:

The young did vote to Remain, it was the wrinklies who voted enmasse to exit
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 16:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm really surprised by this vote repartition, how can it be explained?

I may be wrong, but I think that, in most of the other European countries, the vote repartition would have been the opposite...

Edited by Modrigue - June 24 2016 at 16:49
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 16:52
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I blame this ad campaign for Remain losing the referendum:

True, but it might've inspired the old people to vote leave.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 16:53
The old guys are the little englanders remembering when Britain was great. The youth have limited job opportunities and are looking for work across Europe.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 17:31
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

In fact, I welcome very much the fact that all bets are off, and suddenly politics has become dynamic and interesting again. All possibilities are now open.

A lesson from yesterday. For the first time in many years, every single vote counted. Every single one, without fear or favour, and the people of the country voted in their droves to celebrate that fact, whether you agree with the result, or not. What a refreshing thing, eh? How we could properly transform our politics and country if every single election or vote carried as much weight. When it did, the (mostly lay) people (on the matter), by a clear majority, took the opportunity to deliver a massive great big raspberry to our ruling establishment. Two fingers up, and sod the consequences.

So, 'to each his own'  is just all I can get from your pretty jingoistic thoughts, IMO.
Alas, it seems to stand for the majority of your people... If I'm wrong, tell me then who to blame for this Europe's fate (not yours too??) if not who decided for this damn 'voted' referendum??  'Cause those who lost proved to be too dumb to face the ones who ran a much more dynamic, interesting and clever 'campaign' throughout the whole UK regions.........simple as that Unhappy.

Edited by Tillerman88 - June 24 2016 at 17:39
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 17:57

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

If UKIP wins, You keep that sh*t. Tongue

We already have our own... Unhappy
No kidding there, UKIP and the Tea Party are equally nasty. Now, if only we could ship Nigel out to Alaska....

What you also have is a "Boris":
...and since our Boris was born in New York you're welcome to him too.

It's funny, Dean, I had thought to post comparative photographs of these two demagogic twits, but I was too lazy. I thank you for contributing further to my slothfulness.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 18:05

^ thanks for that supremely balanced view, Luca.

Can anyone find, and post, a link to a video, or photo failing the vid, to a prostate farting old retard? I will not rest until I get to see one in action
Here's one contemplating the Brexit vote:

And here are several celebrating after the vote:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 20:03
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

If UKIP wins, You keep that sh*t. Tongue

We already have our own... Unhappy
No kidding there, UKIP and the Tea Party are equally nasty. Now, if only we could ship Nigel out to Alaska....

What you also have is a "Boris":
...and since our Boris was born in New York you're welcome to him too.

It's funny, Dean, I had thought to post comparative photographs of these two demagogic twits, but I was too lazy. I thank you for contributing further to my slothfulness.

Trump looks like a Boris but acts like a Farage.

Lucky us!  Ouch
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 20:11
Lindsay Lohan apparently has an opinion on this matter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 20:16
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Lindsay Lohan apparently has an opinion on this matter.

"Like, the Brits should leave Britain. I, like, never cared for their drug policies, ya know? It's like when George Washington beat the Redheads at that Gettysburg address. They, like, went to Canadia after that. Which was cool for us."

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 24 2016 at 20:19
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 22:50
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The Brexit may take place again on a smaller scale in the UK. Maybe there will be a Scexit and a Nexit for the UK. Then the United Kingdom will turn into Dissected Kingdom.
Perhaps we'll have The United Kingdom of Scotland and Northern Ireland, and The United Kingdom of England and Wales ?  (Should "United" be in quotes, there?)
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 00:05
The word you're reaching for is "Untied".

Another good word is "Fuxit"

Edited by Dean - June 25 2016 at 00:25
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 00:34
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Poor Winston must be rolling over.

Laughing probably. [Churchill was the right person to be in charge during wartime but not the right person to have in charge in peacetime.]

What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 00:42
Interesting, but how does that square with his vision of a United States of Europe?   Maybe just a pipedream...

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 01:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Interesting, but how does that square with his vision of a United States of Europe?   Maybe just a pipedream...

Churchill appeared to contradict himself quite often, but that is because he was smarter than most politicians then and now.

In is Zurich speech he called for a "kind of" United States of Europe and even said that "The structure of the United States of Europe, if well and truly built, will be such as to make the material strength of a single state less important. Small nations will count as much as large ones and gain their honour by their contribution to the common cause." ... which kind of sounds like the current EU.

However, he wasn't talking about a system of governance (or at least a system with a central governing body). He envisioned the USofE as a union of European nations in the same general form as the United Nations (he even obliquely refers to that in his speech by way of the Atlantic Charter), with no central governing body and not like a national Union (as in India), a Federation (as in USA) or a Unity (as in the UK). [In that regard the EU is at present a Confederation].

/edit: Note that in the quote from 1953 he said "if we must choose" - (that is, given an either-or choice), in the Zurich speech he advocated having all options (United Europe, United Nations and British Commonwealth of Nations).

Edited by Dean - June 25 2016 at 02:35
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 02:29
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

In fact, I welcome very much the fact that all bets are off, and suddenly politics has become dynamic and interesting again. All possibilities are now open.

A lesson from yesterday. For the first time in many years, every single vote counted. Every single one, without fear or favour, and the people of the country voted in their droves to celebrate that fact, whether you agree with the result, or not. What a refreshing thing, eh? How we could properly transform our politics and country if every single election or vote carried as much weight. When it did, the (mostly lay) people (on the matter), by a clear majority, took the opportunity to deliver a massive great big raspberry to our ruling establishment. Two fingers up, and sod the consequences.

So, 'to each his own'  is just all I can get from your pretty jingoistic thoughts, IMO.
Alas, it seems to stand for the majority of your people... If I'm wrong, tell me then who to blame for this Europe's fate (not yours too??) if not who decided for this damn 'voted' referendum??  'Cause those who lost proved to be too dumb to face the ones who ran a much more dynamic, interesting and clever 'campaign' throughout the whole UK regions.........simple as that Unhappy.

Sigh..... I have not made any jingoistic statements on this, or any other, thread.

Further, you are, of course, right. It is absolutely and utterly shocking when you give those ignorant, lay, unwashed, masses a say in running the country. Ignorant buggers, the lot of them, eh?

Thus, the liberal mentality.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 02:41
Perhaps the sobering hangover is now hitting? Just like any other there are regrets had and confusion about what they actually did

The youth thing, who knows but I imagine (like here or anywhere else) younger folk are generally more international oriented? 
Also while simplistic perhaps there is some truth the theory that the older you are, the less time you have to live with your decisions?

Edited by JJLehto - June 25 2016 at 03:37
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 02:54
^I would agree - and last night I argued with my Dad who voted to leave.  We have been regaled with 'vox pop' interviews with pensioners carping on about immigration and it makes me sick.

Cameron was an idiot for caving in to the strident voices calling for a referendum and gambling his leadership on it. Today, we are a country divided and I hate it and I am ashamed.  People have forgotten why the EU is there in the first place.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 03:48
Interesting read by one of my favorite economists. 
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/column-in-the-wake-of-brexit-will-the-eu-finally-turn-away-from-austerity/
Reminded me that austerity used to be the hot button issue before it became immigrants, and if the EU is intelligent they will take this a sign to ditch austerity and instead focus economic growth driven by infrastructure investment, education, green energy and re-embrace Keynesian (he doesn't use the word) economics and allow fluctuating deficits, opposed to strict budget balancing. 

Disturbingly, it seems Wolfgang Schauble is claiming he will punish the UK for this. A move that I'd imagine may guarantee the death of the EU. I can only assume he's trying to intimidate other EU countries/show the world he will stay tough but Schauble has also proven to be quite inflexible. Germany, as de facto head of the EU, has shown a pretty rigid and dogmatic response to everything honestly..so who knows. 
I do hope the EU learns from this and proceeds wisely

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>