Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do the people you know think of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:23
Null.

Edited by DeadSouls - October 23 2017 at 17:38
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:47
Who gives a damn what other people people think of prog? They don't like it, they can get out of the car and walk.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:54
Depends on the prog in question really
Porcupine/Swilson/Syd Arthur/Sigur Ros/Radiohead and the likes go down like hot chocolate with most of my friends. If I then pop on Samla Mammas Manna I'll quickly be all by myself (and that one guy who is still struggling to put on Wu-Tang Clan).
I don't think I ever use the word prog outside of PA though. I never introduce myself as a progger/proghead - I am a music fan first and foremost that just so happens to enjoy a lot of the stuff (some) folks call prog.
Either way, I have stopped caring about what others think about the music I love. I ocassionally slip in some weird sh*t at parties and so forth, but it is almost always followed by completely flabbergasted attendants that look like someone set fire to their eyebrows.
I do have a few friends who are into the more left-field areas of music, but they tend to bow out at Trout Mask Replica.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 17:58
My father played an important role getting me into prog playing Manfred Mann's Earthband's Watch on the car tape deck to me. He also had some good albums, Aqualung, some Novalis (local heroes), ELP and Deep Purple. But soon I found out that he didn't really care about rock music; I think he rather bought this stuff because some friends of him found it cool. When he played the MMEB tape that initiated my passion for music, he didn't even know what band it was, he had just grabbed something that was flying around in the car. He is an amateur choir singer these days and only listens to classical music, same his wife.

My brother is mostly into rock/pop stuff that is more easy going, but he has his moments. For him Talk Talk's Colour of Spring is the best album ever, which shows some taste, I'd say. He never was remotely as much of an Earthband fan as I am, but still likes Nightingales & Bombers, which is their best for me, too. Most prog leaves him cold, though.

I have some friends who listen to good music including some prog. A good friend of mine doesn't like the label "prog" and "prog fans" because he thinks that making a label of it means trying to go back to the seventies (he has a point there...). He looks for qualities in today's music that are new and contemporary (whatever that means) but is quite knowledgeable and very keen on good 70s prog such as Zappa, Can, Pink Floyd, several RPI bands. Another friend of mine loved "crossover" prog when we were 15-20, like Supertramp, Alan Parsons, end 70s Genesis etc., but disappointingly changed his taste later to pure charts music. Another friend is one of the world's biggest David Bowie fans but will happily join when I ask her to see for example Jaga Jazzist or Steve Hackett live. By and large, friends of mine who care about music love at least some prog.
Sardonite Calamity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 19:33
My mother hates prog, and wonders why it's called prog if it sounds like it's stuck in the 70's. My dad likes prog, but I'm the biggest consumer in my family, my siblings don't really listen to music. My best friend likes pop, so he hates it (and rock in general) most of my friends think it's weird that the music I listen to is around 20 minutes long (but I think its completely normal). I also consider 9 minutes short for prog, or as a song in general   

Edited by Sardonite Calamity - June 11 2016 at 19:36
I used to have a really good signature but I forgot it...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 19:43
Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

My mother hates prog, and wonders why it's called prog if it sounds like it's stuck in the 70's. 

red neck laughing emoticon

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 20:41
My husband loves prog. I don't care about the rest of the world as long as he gets what I'm on about.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 20:42
When we're driving in the car, and I ask my daughter what music she wants to hear, her answer is "Anything but Yes."

So I'm batting .500 in my immediate family.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:04
They don't know what it is k
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:40
My family tolerate it. My sis loves Floyd, Yes, Genesis, select Zappa, Sabbath, Marillion etc. - she hates VDGG / Hammill and the handful of Extreme bands I listen to with a passion.
My Dad puts up with it, including when I blare Gorguts at full volume. I once got him to watch an interview with Jens Kidman and Tomas Haake (Meshuggah) and he said that they come across as 'intelligent guys' for headbangers.
A young lady at my work was already familiar with Floyd, Opeth, Karnivool, Lamb Of God and had seen Tool live. I was lending her many CD's and got her into, of all things, VDGG - she kept Present for at least a month. She also fell for Rush, Anglagard and the Ozrics.
I find the majority of folks just haven't got the attention span to sit through most Prog though.
Some even say it's 'crazy music'.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 11 2016 at 21:41
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:53
None of my friends know what it is. Cry Those whom I try to convince did not like it. It can't be the length, because a lot of my friends are into classical or jazz music and are used to pieces longer than 20 minutes.
My brother has Genesis in his music collection, but when I tried to introduce King Crimson to him, he says he gets tooth pain from it.
In Germany no one I talked to have ever heard of King Crimson. In Japan, where I am living now, people at least heard of the band's name. My Japanese teacher says, she knows the band because her sister plays it now and then. Thumbs Up
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 22:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Some folks seem to think that rock'n'roll is music and classical and anything else isn't! 

How's that for weird?

I think on this forum there's next to nobody who says that but then this kind of strawman-assailing comment is par for the course coming from you.
SpookyGhost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 00:29
All my friends hate prog, My best friend has a true hatred for Genesis and Rush because "The lead singers are too high pitched" which I can see for Geddy lee, but not Peter Gabriel
I don't know what to put here
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 02:46
my GF - that's the crap my BF listens to
my brothers - yeah, that weird kind of jazz-rock stuff you play
my colleagues - that avant-garde stuff you like (some of it is indeed avant-garde)
my parents - you could at least listen to stuff that is easily understood
my non-music friends - that weird uncommercial stuff we only get to hear when you're around
my music friends - prog; jazz & jazz-rock/fusion

the others - they don't know (I don't speak about it) and they don't care (and I don't care of theirs and will not tell them mine)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:26
The most accessible songs, short and melodic, are liked by many, like "Cadence and "Cascade" for example, or songs that became popular, like "Living in the Past", or "From the Beginning", are remembered and liked by older people. The younger generation, the ones who like Usher, Beyoncé, etc, don't really care much frankly, but appreciate some of them as oldie-style music. Very few have ever tried a whole album, since not even the music They liked is presented to them in that format; in fact, hardly anyone downloads a whole album from iTunes these days, so our loved "whole album concept music" is not a very popular idea for modern day musicians,
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:38
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

A young lady at my work was already familiar with Floyd, Opeth, Karnivool, Lamb Of God and had seen Tool live. I was lending her many CD's and got her into, of all things, VDGG - she kept Present for at least a month. She also fell for Rush, Anglagard and the Ozrics.

Sh*t, Tom....at no point you thought `I should probably be asking this girl to marry me....'?! This sounds like the girl we all dream about!

Ha, even my Italian ex HATED the Italian prog stuff, I remember getting her to explain the lyrics of Le Orme's `Felona e Sorona', and after a minute or two she said "I don't know...some nonsense about planets...and brothers and sisters...I don't have time for this crap...."

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 12 2016 at 05:51
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 06:55
^ Mike, she is practically married - and 27 - too young. Very pretty, too
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 07:34
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The most accessible songs, short and melodic, are liked by many, like "Cadence and "Cascade" for example, or songs that became popular, like "Living in the Past", or "From the Beginning", are remembered and liked by older people. The younger generation, the ones who like Usher, Beyoncé, etc, don't really care much frankly, but appreciate some of them as oldie-style music. Very few have ever tried a whole album, since not even the music They liked is presented to them in that format; in fact, hardly anyone downloads a whole album from iTunes these days, so our loved "whole album concept music" is not a very popular idea for modern day musicians,

Thank you, Manuel!  I think it's important to consider the age and generation of listeners in this conversation.  Most of my friends are the people I work with.  I'm 50, so I'm at least 20 years older than most of them.  I don't spend a lot of time trying to convert people, but I know most of them wouldn't be moved by prog.  However, one of my immediate supervisors is in his early 30s.  He loves rock from the classic prog era, so he and I love a lot of the same bands!
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:00
Well, my parents, the majority of my friends think that it's crazy-stoner music, but i converted some of them to prog, it's very simple in reality to do this, but you have to wait the right time(the time when they are bored from past and present music(rock, pop,etc) and on a point where it's very close to they give up from all types of music, and then, i show them progTongue).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:54
My wife hates it, she calls it "guy music."  

Mind you, this lady attended Yes 35th Anniversary tour (pictured with me and Lord Richard!) and The Musical Box's "Lamb" show.  

At least she gave it a shot! 

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by cstack3 - June 12 2016 at 16:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>