Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do the people you know think of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 23:10
And to make matters worse, not a lot of people know about prog, especially since it's more of an underground scene nowadays. The almost universal response to when I mention that I like prog is "Oh, so you like Dream Theater?" Not that there's anything wrong with Dream Theater, but there's more than just Dream Theater in the prog scene. 

And if they don't know about prog, people usually get disinterested when I play them some prog. Maybe it's just not the same as the current pop stuff they're accustomed to that ends up turning them off. Heck, I don't know. Yes, prog can be outside the box of dance rhythms and 4 chord progressions, but that doesn't make it bad.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 23:44
Originally posted by Mellowtron Mellowtron wrote:

Unfortunately, trying to show other people this music is rather difficult. The last couple times I tried to play King Crimson's first album to a couple of ladies, they got completely freaked out by the cover art....LOL

I don't blame them, maybe you should have just played the music and not shown them the cover. I find that album cover to be pretty revolting myself. Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 06:16
my coworkers love it. I am always chosen to provide music at work. Mainly because I choose the good stuff, not the popular stuff LOL

Do they know it is ..prog.. probably not. They are for the most part a younger group for who tags and labels don't really mean sh*t. All they care about is whether it is good music or not. Probably another reason why I am always chosen to provide the music for our work days... one moment it is ADII, next one it is Dionne Warwick, the next is likely Battiato.  I could care less about 'prog'... I just love good music myself.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 10:21
Most hate it, but if people ask what I'm listening to and whats with all the festivals I'm happy to tell them and give them samples of the stuff I like. Often there is dislike and bewilderment but occasionally I get a good reaction and people ask what else to check out. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 10:29
Most of the people I know don't think of prog.
They may like some prog but don't even realize it...

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 17 2016 at 10:31
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mellowtron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 22:14
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by Mellowtron Mellowtron wrote:

Unfortunately, trying to show other people this music is rather difficult. The last couple times I tried to play King Crimson's first album to a couple of ladies, they got completely freaked out by the cover art....LOL

I don't blame them, maybe you should have just played the music and not shown them the cover. I find that album cover to be pretty revolting myself. Tongue

Yeah that cover was definitely a product of its time during the psychedelic era. I have no idea why Crimson went with that cover. Then again, Crimson's always seemed to focus more on the music than visuals.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 03:56
Prog is so much very diffrent music, making the question impossiable to answer.
But in general most of people dont dislike melodic music with a vocals, prog or not prog.
10+ minutes instrumentals don't go down very well in most party's, dosent matter if it is Jazz, Classic, Prog or Heavy.   

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Wherever I go, I try to interest people around me in the music of my favourite band, Triumvirat, but mostly, to no avail.
        At work I get funny looks kind of like "TriumvirWHAT?" Actually, they kid me a lot, with my obsession with the band. But in terms of actually listening to them or other prog? Most of them couldn't be bothered.
              My sisters don't take an interest; they are pretty mainstream in their music taste.
               Luckily, my best friend likes prog, and will listen to it with me. Not all is accessible to him, but he does like Triumvirat and Le Orme, for example.
                I have another friend who likes progressive music, but we don't listen to it together; he is too busy watching science fiction movies, series, etc. which is ok in itself, but limiting in terms of prog appreciation.
                      My late father, who was from the generation that grew up on 1940s jazz, actually could get something out of progressive rock; my mother never heard it.
Today, at the gym, the recreation person didn't like the ACDC playing on the radio, and asked if she could change the station, and I ventured

"Only if you play Triumvirat"

Incredulous stare, and replied "What???"

"Triumvirat"

Then there was no response from her, and she put a mainstream pop station on, and that was the end of that.

TypicalLOL (not that Triumvirat would be on the radio, but you get my drift.)
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:38
^You would get the same response from your average King Crimson fan.
Magma America Great Make Again
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 14:27
In a nutshell, and focusing on non-musician friends:

* Plenty of them like various prog/prog-related artists.
* They tend to like stuff that has more of a connection with "traditional" pop songwriting skills (which I have a major fondness for, too)
* They tend to dislike stuff with "goofy vocals"
* The more avant-garde something becomes, the less they tend to like it.

However, since I'm a musician and I've been involved in a lot of prog, a lot of fusion, and a fair amount of more avant garde-leaning stuff (outside of prog/fusion. too), most family members and friends have attempted to appreciate my professional work for what it is.

On the other hand, probably only one family member, a brother-in-law, would list prog/prog-related arists among his favorites.  His top ten would likely be: Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, ELO, Ambrosia, Supertramp, Doobie Brothers, Kansas, Styx . . . all of whom I like a lot, too. (Yes, he was in his teens and early 20s during the 70s--he's just a few years older than me.)

My wife would list some prog/prog-related artists among her favorites now, too, probably--especially Todd Rundgren (my #3 artist) and Yes (my #4 artist), though when I met her, she really hadn't heard much progressive rock at all.  She does enjoy other prog artists who are favorites of mine, and some of her other favorites are non-prog artists that I turned her onto, but I don't think she'd list any other prog(gy) artists as her own favorites aside from Rundgren and Yes.

Edited by Terrapin Station - July 25 2016 at 14:29
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:34
The last time I spoke to Neil Young he thought it was played out. David Crosby said never heard the term before. I'm not kidding. Prog is very misunderstood, even by old timers in rock.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 08:40
I was visiting some friends this past weekend who are at university right now and I got invited over to what was essentially a sorority house. Unfortunately for the girls there, I was tasked with picking music for the evening. I started out just putting on hard rock and classic rock, which I figured would be "neutral" enough for their tastes (they were all modern mainstream pop fans). After a while I decided to slip on The Yes Album just to see how they'd react. To my surprise, they seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, even bobbing their heads along, humming along, etc. at times. 

Then I decided to step it up a little, and went for Khan's Space Shanty. Strangely enough, still no protest. Then Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste. "This is pretty good!". CHRIST PEOPLE EVEN I HATED THIS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT. So I took it another step further and put on Herbie Hancock's Sextant. After they still seemed to be more or less enjoying it, I was tempted to put on Larks' Tongues In Aspic, but then we went home for the night. 

So apparently prog isn't as inaccessible as its made out to be. At least, as long as you make sure not to hype it up excessively and say that "prog is the only true music" or some such thing before you put it on, I've noticed that most people tend to enjoy it.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:28
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

So apparently prog isn't as inaccessible as its made out to be. At least, as long as you make sure not to hype it up excessively and say that "prog is the only true music" or some such thing before you put it on, I've noticed that most people tend to enjoy it.

This is also what I am thinking. Most people aren't into prog just because they have never heard of it, and many would appreciate it if they just knew that it exists. Of course, there are those stupid anti-rock prejudices so common among classical, avant-garde and jazz listeners (as well as among some listeners of electronic music or hip-hop) of that keep them from trying it out in the first place. Also, there are those rock journalists who either ignore it completely, or claim that it "had run its course" or was an "abomination mercifully ended by punk". But I feel that more people would be ready to listen to prog if they had an idea.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 10:51

That's why the label "Prog" really doesn't mean anything outside of literal definition, good music is good music. If one enjoys classic rock I would find it hard to believe that they would not enjoy the classic prog bands. I think the stigma was just created by prog snobs, because at the end of the day it's just rock/hard rock. 
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 14:41
I know very few people who have tastes similar to me, and usually a showcase of my musical tastes garners some raised eyebrows.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:14

I was visiting some friends this past weekend who are at university right now and I got invited over to what was essentially a sorority house. Unfortunately for the girls there, I was tasked with picking music for the evening. I started out just putting on hard rock and classic rock, which I figured would be "neutral" enough for their tastes (they were all modern mainstream pop fans). After a while I decided to slip on The Yes Album just to see how they'd react. To my surprise, they seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, even bobbing their heads along, humming along, etc. at times. 

Then I decided to step it up a little, and went for Khan's Space Shanty. Strangely enough, still no protest. Then Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste. "This is pretty good!". CHRIST PEOPLE EVEN I HATED THIS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT. So I took it another step further and put on Herbie Hancock's Sextant. After they still seemed to be more or less enjoying it, I was tempted to put on Larks' Tongues In Aspic, but then we went home for the night. 

nice... Clap

I made the point earlier in this thread.. others have in others... young people for the most part don't care if it is prog or not.. they just like good music. I have my own expriences with younger kids and music a lot less mainstream than your selections and they loved it. Granted they were generally men... not being lucky enough to be the fox (fortunately perhaps) set loose in a sorority henhouse LOL

It is the older folks most apt to care. Classfying it, promoting it or comparing it to other obsolescent ( in a young person's mind)  genres of music.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kespuzzuo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 15:55
Well, here's my story.
My father listens to 70s hard rock, disco, funk, new wave, etc. his favourite band is ELO, he used to listen to classical music during his time at university. My mother listens to top 40 music. I was in a waiting room, the radio was on a 80s music station, and the radio announcer said "now let's play Invisible Touch by Phil Collins", and i liked that song because it was catchy. I shazamed that song and my phone said it was a Genesis song. So I searched through Google and I found out that Phil Collins had a band. I listened to the Invisible touch album and i loved it. I thought that Genesis was a pop group. I wanted more Genesis. I clicked on a Peter Gabriel-era Genesis album video and it felt a bit boring. Months after that, i decided to buy Foxtrot (because people on the internet were claiming that Genesis was better during the 70s), I listened to the whole album and i loved it even more than Invisible Touch. I discovered that Genesis was more epic during the 70s than then 80s.

So in a trip I decided to put SEBTP, but my mother got bored and thought it was slow and boring. I had to change the album to music she likes. My father is OK with me listening to prog.
And when I decided to make my own prog album (sorry for self-promoting), both my father and mother listened to it. My mother said it was nice and futuristic, she liked it even if it was a 40-minute long song. My father liked it too. Maybe they liked it because I'm their son, parents are usually yessayers towards their sons.

My ex-english teacher from school loves prog. One day we decided to give alternative interpretations to songs. I picked a Mars Volta song, he asked me the name of the band. He listens to his favourite music on classes, I remember he listened to Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, Megadeth and Dream Theater. He's kinda into prog, he's around the prog spectre.

Some of my cousins listen to prog, they are excellent guitar players. They went to my birthday party and named bands such as Gojira, Animals as leaders, Opeth, ect.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 21:18
Originally posted by Kespuzzuo Kespuzzuo wrote:

My ex-english teacher from school loves prog. One day we decided to give alternative interpretations to songs. I picked a Mars Volta song, he asked me the name of the band. He listens to his favourite music on classes, I remember he listened to Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, Megadeth and Dream Theater. He's kinda into prog, he's around the prog spectre.

English teachers seem to be disproportionately prog-minded. Same with physics teachers. Matter of fact, back in high school, my physics teacher, my French teacher and I had a game that we had going where we'd name a lyric from a prog song and everyone else would have to guess the song. (eg. "Spoonful of miracle" -> Supper's Ready, "dirty holes" -> Yours Is No Disgrace, etc.). I'd say that more than half of my last semester of grade 12 was exclusively prog talk. During lectures, during labs, at lunch, you name it. I'm pretty sure that they walked in on each other's classes taking tests just to say something like "seasoned witch" (Close To The Edge, obviously). 

Yeah, grade 12 physics was the highlight of all of high school. If it was an early morning class and we walked in groggily and yawning, Mr. E would put on this baby to wake us up:

Never failed to get us guys going, but I don't think the two girls in our class were quite as keen on the genre.  LOL

About halfway through the semester we ended up compiling a list of all the essential prog listening we had to complete by the end of the year. I think we ended up playing through all of Yes from The Yes Album through to Relayer (plus selections from Drama, Talk and The Ladder), all of Genesis from Trespass to The Lamb, some select King Crimson essentials (Schizoid Man, Lizard, Larks' Tongues Pts. 1 & 2, Starless), Cygnus X-1 & La Villa Strangiato, Echoes, the first UK album, a bit of Marillion here and there, plus whatever obscure Argentinian or Italian album I dredged up that week. Looking back, we accomplished quite a lot in that course. Oh yeah, and then we learned some physics on the side. Tongue
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
The misanthrope View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 08:19
I had one friend in school who liked it, and his father introduced me to prog. most people dislike it. they do not have the attention span to listen to a song over three minutes long. I hear a lot of the usual nonsense that the music is pretentious, or too weird.    
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 06:14
I don't recall any English teachers who were huge prog fans, but on the other hand, I don't know if I ever knew any English teacher's musical tastes in any detail.  I did have a high school English teacher who was a HUGE Monty Python fan--and he was also from England (this was during the later 70s . . . he had just moved to the US a few years earlier).  He was also a SciFi fan--especially re novels and short stories, so I'd be surprised if he didn't like prog a bit, though I just can't recall talking about his musical tastes . . . which is a bit weird, since it was well-known in high school that I was a musician, and I talked to him a lot after class.  I just can't recall anything he would have said about his musical tastes, though.

I also had a high school visual art teacher who was a huge pot/acid-head.  He kept a file cabinet full of High Times magazines in his classroom.  He was one of the best teachers I ever had, actually, as he'd talk about general wisdom--where it really was wisdom--gained in his life, about all sorts of topics, as much as he'd talk about art (and actually, the Monty Python fan English teacher was a lot like that, too, and was also one of the best teachers I ever had).  With art, he was really skilled with kind of a psychedelic surrealism (unsurprisingly enough), and he encouraged creativity/experimentalism.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>