Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Moody Blues vs. Procol Harum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Would you eat cake if given the opportunity?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [34.78%]
45 [65.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Moody Blues vs. Procol Harum
    Posted: June 11 2016 at 00:46
No neither or both allowed. You must choose one. I choose Procol Harum.
User Banned for this Post
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 01:01
Difficult question. Procol Harum's "In Held 'Twas In I" is what I consider to be the first prog rock suite, a great, great piece. On the other hand, The Moodies have created so much good material that I'll have to go with them. Both are really great, though!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 01:26
Moodies
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 01:27
Procol by a mile. Love the Moodies' classic stuff, especially the magnificent In Search of the Lost Chord, but Procol has always been one of my favorite bands.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 02:45
Oooh, for me The Moodies. Loved them since my teen-years. NOTHING will change that. PROCOL, I tried to get into for years - I have a couple which are good, but don't move me as much as The Moodies. Sooooo.....
The Moodies were early, like PROCOL, but way advanced in their approach and ideals, with incredible production - when I spin a Moodies album, their sound (let alone, ideals) are way ahead of their time. Seriously, they are superb musicians, and definitely showed it off.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:05
Procol Harum
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:23
Voted Procal as although the band were probably in a similar RnB band as The Moodies.
Procal lived and disbanded the first wave if Prog, with the intention of making Prog, as opposed to the Moody Blues who drifted into but then perfected their take on Prog.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:59
Moody Blues for me. They were my gateway into Prog. All others came after them.

Edited by SquonkHunter - June 11 2016 at 05:00
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:04
Timothy Leary's dead
PROGMATIC
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:31
Moodies----I love some of Procol Harum but lot's of it I find a little boring.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 09:02
Tough choice......love them both.....but going with The Moodies ,... their first 4 themed albums are simply essential regarding early prog .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 12:29
Moodies by far. Not many groups can beat the quality of the Moodies 67-72 studio albums.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:53
Weird. I was just listening to Procol this morning, and I was thinking about how they became very uneven after A Salty Dog. I rarely listen to anything of theirs after that (except the exceptional Live with the Edmonton Orchestra release from '72).

The Moodies, however, were much more consistent over the same span, and even made some pleasant albums after they reformed in the late 70s. The Moodies greatest albums trump those of Procol, in my un-humble estimation.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 14:11
Moodies from DOFP to Seventh Sojourn are one of my favorite bands ever. Coincidentally those two are the albums I like the most. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 17:54
Easily, TMB
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 18:05
Procol Harum.

I find the Moodies a bit .........safe.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:21
Yes, of course, I love cake. Just ate 2 slices after dinner today.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:09
Two bands I like a lot, but I have to go with The Moody Blues, though Procol Harum is not far behind.

Edited by Manuel - June 12 2016 at 05:09
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 06:26

I like Procol Harum just a little bit more.

snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 16:11
Moodies by far.

DOFP and TOCCC are 2 essential prog albums. The first one to me is one of the first genuine progressive rock albums despite a number of people siting King Crimson's debut as having that honour.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>