Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBilly Paul - War of the Gods

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: is this album qualified an entry into
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [100.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Billy Paul - War of the Gods
    Posted: June 14 2016 at 17:11
Just wondering, i found this album to be intriguing, for as a sole album this alone is a unique gem, which mark a segnificant difference from other Billy Paul albums. But is this sole album qualifeid to PAs archives.

I am split in the desission, but i find it is at least an interesting disgussion for this sole album, which Billy Paul remarked to be hes favourite of hes. 

this album is unique. 

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 17:33
I love this album too! An album perfect before a night out on the town.
Must admit that I never thought of it as prog but as a brilliant psychedelic soul album. War Of The Gods fits nicely together with Maggot Brain, The Temptations' 1990, Innervisions, What's going on and the likes. The title track though could be seen as a progressive soul track, I'll grant you that.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 18:23
Prog soul; but prog rock?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 18:44
Totally a Prog Related Album. Thumbs Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 22:00
^ Well sort of, but the only criteria War of the Gods has for ProgRelated (Other than a sw**k psychedelic cover and proggy title) is that it was influenced by progressive rock, and that's if you believe a synthesizer equals a prog influence (debatable since synths were en vogue with many by '73).  

On the other hand an impact from prog may indeed be there, it is a tough call; The music is almost entirely Philly Soul which already used extended arrangements, jazz and classical motifs in the 60s when prog rock was still a tiny infant.   Further, the rock content on WotG is almost imperceptible, so while there may be a prog influence the rock influence is near zero.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 08:47
I span War Of The Gods this morning. It's been a while - probably a full year, but the break was needed methinks. Kinda overdosed on it last summer with a friend of mine. Let's face it this album is just so damn infectious during the warmer summer months. It's also an album you can spin in the near vicinity of women without them looking at you like you just stuck your penis in a poodle.
The title track is still prog soul but a long ways from prog rockWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply