FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shuffle n' Rate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuffle n' Rate
    Posted: April 08 2020 at 06:34
Steel Monkey – Jethro Tull, 7/10.
From the Beginning – ELP, 8/10.
Honey, Don’t You Want A Man Like Me? – Zappa, 6/10.
Own the Mystery – Izz, 7/10.
Making Plans for Nigel – XTC, 8/10.
Four Sticks – Led Zeppelin, 6/10.
Just – Radiohead, 8/10.
Paradigm Shift – Liquid Tension Experiment, 7/10.
Unorthodox Behavior – Brand X, 8/10.
Earthrise – Haken, 8/10.
Bullys (sic) – Mike Keneally, 7.5/10.
Farwell to Shadowlands – Glass Hammer, 7/10.
Youth Culture Killed my Dog – They Might Be Giants, 8/10.
Dalem Waturenggong – Dewa Budjana, 7/10.
Inertiatic E.S.P. – The Mars Volta, 8/10.
Everybody Knows a Little Bit of Something – Kings X, 8/10.
The Caves of Altarima – Steely Dan, 9/10.
Eyes Wide Open – Sieges Even, 7.5/10.
Mac Man – Allan Holdsworth, 7/10.
I’m Running – Yes, 7.5/10.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 16:32
Yeah, let's keep this alive!

1 William Walton - XXI. Fox-Trot 'Old Sir Faulk' (Facade)
Weird late 20th century opera 5/10
2 Tony Allen - Ire Omo (Feat. Adunni & Nefretiti) (Film of Life)
Magic afrobeat drummer, feel-good but not overly interesting song 6/10
3 The Grid - Rise (Evolver)
I bought this because I was curious whether techno with help of Robert Fripp can be good techno. Well, it can be OKish. 5/10
4 Nagorny Karabach - Ich und die Wirklichkeit (Geräusche für die 90er, sampler)
The album is called noise for the 90s, actually it's still punk. 4/10
5 Magma - Kobaia Is De Hundin (Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh)
Finally something that is known on this site. 8/10
6 Lewian - Sara's Party (Music from London)
This is actually myself. Not my best but good enough for my own pleasure. 5.5/10
7 The Sugarcubes - Mama (Life’s Too Good)
Fun album, Björk can't do much wrong. 7/10
8 Shudder to Think - Hit Liquor (Pony Express Record)
Pretty sophisticated art indie rock; my favourite up to now. 8.5/10
9 Alias - Beginagain (Muted)
Cool trip-hop. 7.5/10
10 Amon Tobin - Nightlife (Permutations)
Pretty much the same kind of music actually, Amon Tobin knows how to do it. 8/10
11 Belcafe - Track 8 (Touchdown)
Solid rock, nothing special. Somebody gave this to me for free I guess. 4/10
12 Barbara Morgenstern - Fjorden (Fjorden)
Now this is something really special, unique and addictive. 9.5/10
13 Tori Amos - Precious Thing (Silent All These Years)
Good song, somewhat overdone live version. 7/10
14 Karat - Albatros (Albatros)
Popular Eastern German band with their by far best and only prog song. 8.5/10
15 Subway to Sally - Feuerkind (Nord Nord Ost)
German folk/middle age metal band, do very well here. 8.5/10
16 Brian Eno - Pierre in Mist (Nerve Net)
Closest association to Eno in this mix is actually Barbara Morgenstern. 7/10
17 Hassle Hound - Poppy Blush (Limelight Cordial)
I haven't listened to this for ages, surprisingly good and quirky. 7.5/10
18 Irmin Schmidt - Bohemian Step (Filmmusik)
This one doesn't work that well without the film. 6/10
19 Craig Leon - Donkeys Bearing Cups (Nommos) 
Somewhat electronic/techno heavy this mix. Not bad but not much variation. 5.5/10
20 Deichkind - So'ne Musik (Niveau Weshalb Warum)
More German stuff, fun hip hop, most of you will hate this. 7.5/10

Ay! Very light on prog this one, and somewhat light on real highlights, but much stuff that otherwise I wouldn't have listened to any time soon.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 14:54
This thread just got reopened by a staff member, and I don't want it to feel lonely...

1. Frank Zappa - Catholic Girls (You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 6): 3/10, Ugh... not how I wanted to start this. This has more energy than the studio version at least but I just can't stand Frank's misogyny, and this particular version contains a musical quote from a certain Zappa song that I hate even more than this one. Negative vibes. Next!
2. Kelly Bailey - Black Mesa Inbound (Half-Life 2 OST): 6/10, Just some ambience. Sounds cool but doesn't feel all that substantial out of the context of the video game it's from.
3. Triumvirat - The Sweetest Sound Of Liberty (Spartacus): 6/10, I suppose this is decent, but this really needs a more imposing vocal performance to be of much value. Helmut Köllen is most certainly no Greg Lake.
4. King Crimson - Three Of A Perfect Pair (Heavy ConstruKction): 7/10, Can't compare to the studio version but this is quite a cute version of a classic KC song nonetheless.
5. Spyro Gyra - Body Wave (Breakout): 7.5/10, A tad dated and a tad too slick, but I can't not chug my posterior along to this. Smooth jazz that doesn't want to come to terms with the fact that it's smooth jazz is my favourite kind of smooth jazz.
6. Andy Summers & Robert Fripp - Guide (Bewitched): 7/10, Quite nice, although it does feel a little bit feeble compared to the ambient excursions on Fripp's solo albums from around the same time.
7. Giles, Giles & Fripp - How Do They Know? (The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles & Fripp): 7.5/10, The folky/jazzy verses are wonderful but the military march-esque chorus doesn't sound like it belongs in the same song. Michael Giles's drumming is stellar throughout.
8. Radiohead - Exit Music For A Film (OK Computer): 5/10, A mediocre acoustic guitar ballad for the most part, and by the time it eventually transforms into an apocalyptic-ish rock anthem it's too little too late for me. Maybe this album just hasn't grown on me yet but in my humble opinion the band had mostly yet to learn how to write interesting songs at this point in time.
9. DJ Shadow - Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt (Endtroducing): 8/10, Very moody and atmospheric, a deserved classic even though overexposure is slowly starting to take its toll on it for me.
10. Pink Floyd - The Trial (Is There Anybody Out There?): 5/10, Not exactly a standout in the Floyd's catalog and out of context this just sounds a bit doofy. The vocals aren't very strong in this version either.
11. Ultravox - Vienna (Vienna): 7/10, Wow, I haven't heard this in quite a while. It's actually a lot better than I remember. The silly drum machine does undercut the whole thing quite a bit but nonetheless I am genuinely impressed by the bridge and the chorus.
12. Talking Heads - Heaven (Fear Of Music): 6/10, I haven't heard this in a while either, but this doesn't do much for me anymore even though I remember liking it much more in the past. Anyway, enough famous songs already, give me something at least slightly more out of the box!
13. Ozric Tentacles - It's A Hup Ho World (Live At The Pongmaster's Ball): 7/10, There we go! This is mostly standard Ozrics fare, but the standard Ozrics fare has always sounded pleasurable to my ears.
14. Rush - Leave That Thing Alone (Counterparts): 6.5/10, I hold pretty negative memories of this album (haven't heard it in too long to know if they're justified or not) but this is a song I'd call above average.
15. Premiata Forneria Marconi - Impressioni Di Settembre (Storia Di Un Minuto): 7.5/10, A beautiful, well-built up power ballad, although if you want me to nitpick I suppose it could be a bit more climactic. The synth solo near the end could be a bit crazier and the coda feels like a slight letdown compared to what preceded it.
16. Camel - Drafted (Pressure Points: Live In Concert): 5.5/10, Chris Rainbow's voice has too much of a generic 80s feel to me and doesn't do justice even to this already rather average song.
17. Zabutom - Initiate (Redux34): 7.5/10, Very impressive in all its bombastic beepy glory. I wish the percussion had more bite, but that's what you get with the chiptune genre.
18. Steve Hackett - The Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere (Spectral Mornings): 7/10, My knowledge of traditional Japanese music sadly isn't developed enough to know if Steve's seemingly rather stereotypical interpretation of it would make the skin crawl of any Japanese person who laid their ears on it, but thankfully my own ears find it rather nice.
19. Kraftwerk - Elektrisches Roulette (Ralf Und Florian): 7/10, A cool thing, and an interesting snapshot of the band at the crossroads between atonal experimentation and playful synthpop.
20. Peter Hammill - Careering (PH7): 6/10, The excellent Eno/Bowie-inspired production and guitar and saxophone solos just barely make up for the lack of a discernible melody, but I could see this growing on me in the future.

Could be better, but a decent sampling altogether, I suppose.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 14:44
1. Il Banchetto - PFM (Per Un Amico) - 9/10 Really good song. Very uplifting while also progressive. The build up is very majestic and I love the weird instrumental section

2. Emperor in His War-Room - Van Der Graaf Generator (H to He Who Am the Only One) - 6.5/10 Really sad, but a bit too long with not much happening. The solo is okay, the songs should just be a little bit shortened

3. Secret Messages - ELO (Best of) - 7.25/10 Love the intro, the song is a bit poppy, but it still has somewhat of an ominous feel that makes it interesting

4. Tears - Rush (2112) - 8.5/10 Oh if Rush had more songs like this! Really love the mellotron and flute! Quite relaxing as well

5. Questions of My Childhood - Kansas (Leftoverture) - 6.75/10 A bit too poppy at times, but still can hold its own

6. Cooks Country - The Who (It's Hard) - 5/10 Why did I buy this album four years ago? I used to worship this song but it's actually pretty bad!

7. Long Haired Lady - Paul McCartney (RAM) - 8/10 So psychadelic and pretty, makes me think of love. The end is really good-with trumpets too!

8. Who Loves the Sun - The Velvet Underground (Loaded) - 7/10 Happy feel to start on album, and has one really good part later on in the song.

9. Breakfast in America - Supertramp (Breakfast in America) - 8.5/10 This album is really overlooked among prog fans. It's probably even better than Crime of the Century!

10. Summer and Lightning - ELO (Out of the Blue) - 9/10 One of there best dogs for sure, it does kind of steel from Steve Miller Band at one moment, but the lighting strikes and thunder with the keyboards make it so much fun to listen to!

11. Magdalene (My Regal Zonophone) - Procol Harum - 8/10 Rather relaxed march, very dignified and easy to listen to

12. Rebel Rebel - David Bowie (Diamond Dogs) - 7/10 Overplayed, but how can you tire of this riff?

13. Can-Utillity and the Coastliners - Genesis (Foxtrot) - 8.75/10 Fantastic!

14. Lucky Man - ELP (ELP) - 8.5/10 One of the only ELP songs I like these days. R.I.P Keith and Greg. What lucky men they were!

15. Awaken - Yes (Going For the One) - 10/10 If you often read my reviews of songs, you may realize that I never give a song 10/10. This song is the reason. This song is the most perfect composition ever written, and there is nothing that can match up to it. Not Close to the Edge, not Supper's Ready, not even something by Mozart or Beethoven! This is the song that will be played at my funeral, it is the song that everyone should listen to at least once in there life, it is no doubt, the greatest piece of music ever written and ever will be written. I am dead serious. If you reading this and you haven't heard this song...listen to it right now. "There's no doubt! No doubt!"

16. Sentimental - Porcupine Tree (Fear of a Blank Planet) - 7/10 Really nice song with a great chorus, but kind of rips off Trains at the end. Also, hard to follow Awaken.

17. Hairless Heart - Genesis (The Lamb) - 8.75/10 Really emotional. Great instrumental track. Not much to be said about it. Just listen

18. Dog-Like Sparky - Cardiacs (Sing to God) - 8.5/10 First hearing this, I was gaping at how music could actually be like this. Pretty good stuff!

19. Almost Like Love - Yes (Big Generator) - 6/10 And it was going so well...

20. Flap Off You Beak - Cardiacs (Sing to God) - 8.75/10 Yay! More Cardiacs! This song is extraordinarily different yet still seems like it could be on the radio. Good way to end this shuffle
User Banned for this Post
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 19:46
Let's do 10.

Chicago - Make Me Smile (Chicago II) : 8/10, Absolute banger. Chicago's horn section flawless as usual and dynamic vocals, love it!

A Silver Mt. Zion - God Bless Our Dead Marines (Horses in the Sky): 8.5/10, Always weird to hear Efrim sing. The second half really hits a soft spot. Haunting violin and vocal harmonies.

Slayer - Metal Storm/Face the Slayer (Show No Mercy): 7.5/10, Might seem like an ironic statement but Slayer is really the only truly metal that I enjoy listening. One of their least "angry" songs, great guitar work.

Men Without Hats - I Got The Message (Rhythm of Youth): 9.5/10 6/10, Guilty pleasure of mine right there. Synth pop at its finest that chorus is so damn catchy.

SBB - W Kolysce Dloni Twch (Pamiec): 9.25/10, That part starting at about 5:45 gets me freakin ecstatic every time with the shouts, the sublime guitar and all.

Ravi Shankar - Raga Ahir Bhairai (3 Ragas): 6.5/10, Lovely raga but feels rather dull following the magnificient opening piece.

Roxy Music - End of the Line (Siren): 8/10, Ahhhh Roxy Music. I usually only care for Bryan Ferry's vocal performance but this song offers a quite pleasant violin solo.

Bacamarte - UFO (Depois Do Fim): 9.25/10, Love this album so much. The classical/medieval feel of this song makes it really appealing to me. During the climax around the middle, the tense guitar riff contrasted with the spacey synth gives such a special effect.

The Marshall Tucker Band - Ramblin (Where We All Belong): 6/10, Huge MTB fan here but I don't really dig their heavy-blues output preferring instead their more folk material. This one's pretty good though.

Jethro Tull - Moths (Heavy Horses):9.5/10 8/10, Honestly this is a fantastic Tull song. As good as it gets in their case. Pumped me up so hard on this specific occasion. I think this one will be under heavy rotation for the next few months with summer approaching.

Edited by Larkstongue41 - March 31 2017 at 19:53
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:01
1 Das Puffstück - The Blech (Liebeslieder) 7.5/10
Slow burning but dramatic piece of this too little known original and quite progressive band.
2 Send Home the Slates - Camel (Harbour of Tears) 9/10
Wonderful melody with perfectly fitting arrangement and voices.
3 Small Wonders - Who Made Who (Who Made Who) 7.5/10
I surely don't have much steel guitar in my collection; nice little understated song.
4 Fingerabdrücke - Tom Liwa and Florian Glässing (Lopnor) 6/10
Sensitive poetic songwriting, OK but not spectacular.
5 West - Pinback (Blue Screen Life) 7.5/10
More sensitive poetic songwriting, but now with the irresistible Pinback twist on it.
6 Hunter Vessel - Björk (Drawing Restraint 9) 8.5/10
I've got to forget that this is Björk and I'd want to hear her voice, but getting past this feeling, this is strong and original music.
7 Strip the Soul - Porcupine Tree (In Absentia) 6.5/10
Not my favourite from this album that I like quite a bit overall; the riffs are too cliched here.
8 Another Night - Camel (A Live Record, remastered and extended) 6.5/10
I like this song, but this bonus live version suffers from a pretty suboptimal sound.
9 The Finding in the Temple: III. Gigue - Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber (The Mystery Sonatas) 6.5/10
Nice 17th century violin and keyboard; I'm not really into this music.
10 Patient (Like the Water) - Hattler (The Kite) 7.5/10
Kraan bassist Hellmut Hattler's solo work is somewhat smoother and more radio friendly than Kraan but very competent, groovy and pleasant.   
11 Flyin' High - Pierre Moerlen's Gong (Pentanine) 4.5/10
Pity that the great Pierre Moerlen left with a somewhat underwhelming album; this is going nowhere.
12 Versus Alleluiatici: De Profundis - Nova Schola Gregoriana, Alberto Turco (Adorate Deum: Gregorian Chant from the Proper of the Mass) 6/10
In the middle of a mix isn't really the right place for Gregorian chants but the spirit shines through a bit.
13 Apparently - Rainbirds (Rainbirds) 6/10
1987 in Germany this album was a sensation; the great voice and guitar explain why. Not the strongest song though.
14 Know - Massacre (Killing Time) 8/10
Ah, gimme some dark experimental noisy stuff now, this is what this mix needed!
15 Winds of Change - Mike Batt (Waves) 9/10
I have a sentimental side and such a legendary melody can lure me in big time.
16 Sleeping Beauty - Phantom Orchard Ensemble (Through the Looking-Glass) 6.5/10
I'd have liked to hear more from this album but this is just a 90 seconds filler soundscape.
17 Finest Worksong - R.E.M. (Man on the Moon Live USA 1992) 5/10
Not R.E.M.s finest hour and the pedestrian live sound doesn't help.
18 Member of the Tribe - Adrian Belew (Inner Revolution) 5.5/10
Straight Rock'n Roll is not for me as much as I like the man's guitar playing and singing in general.
19 Timeslip 2 - Carnival of Souls (Carnival of Souls) 7/10
Another short filler with some anarchistic noises, nothing big but I'm enjoying it.
20 La Faulx - Univers Zero (Heresie) 9/10
Up to now this was by and large a rather mediocre (if pleasant enough) mix, but it ends on a high with this 25 minutes scary monster of a track.

A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 08:32
1. Hang Fire - The Rolling Stones (Best of) - 5.5/10 Simple Sister

2. Revolution 1 - The Beatles (White Album) - 5/10 I perfer number 9

3. Heaven and Hell - The Who (Best of) - 6/10 Great. Looks like I'm getting all classic rock.

4. Eminence Front - The Who (It's Hard) - 3/10 Some car commercial has forever ruined this song for me because now whenever I hear it, I feel the urge to spend money and be a normal American consumer.

5. Move On - David Bowie (Lodger) - 8/10 Now here's something good! Great African influence!

6. Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles (Magical Mystert Tour) - 6.75/10 Still love the Beatles

7. Jokerman - Bob Dylan (Best of) - 7.5/10 A poetic artist, but I normally don't pay attention to lyrics

8. A Farewell to Kings - Rush (A Farewell to Kings) - 8/10 Very nice introduction, and a great guitar solo later on

9. A Soapbox Opera - Supertramp (Crisis? What Crisis?) - 9.25/10 This is really good. It feels so dramatic and progressive only in four minutes and includes a string section. They really make it feel like a soapbox opera!

10. Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones (Best of) - 7.75/10 Weakens the shuffle, but I still love this one. Really pretty melodies, and makes me wish they wrote more like this.

11. So Fine - Electric Light Orchestra (A New World Record) - 8/10 A typical ELO song, always a pleasure. Gets me excited for the summer. Interesting solo in he middle

12. The Enemy Within - Rush (Grace Under Pressure) - 8.5/10 Awesome rock song! At the same time, you can find the fear in it while it is still accessible. Works great to start the fear trilogy!

13. I'm Not In Love - Talking Heads (More Songs About Buildings and Food) - 6.75/10 "I am not-in-love...with this song"

14. Title Music From Merchant Ivory's Film Bombay Talkie - Shankar Jaikishan - 9/10 Fantastic and moving instrumental Indian song with sitar and scatting! THIS is what I need on my ipod! More world music!

15. Revolution - The Beatles (Past Masters) - 6.5/10 Another Revolution? C'mon Beatles! You already had a revolution 14 songs ago! Actually, I perfer this version.

16. Hang Onto Yourself - David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) - 7/10 Great but the problem with these simple structures classic rock songs is I can't really comment on anything special with them. Well, this has good guitar.

17. A Man Is a Man - The Who (It's Hard) - 7.5/10 This makes me nostalgic toward the best summer of my life.

18. The Battle of Epping Forest - Genesis (Selling England) - 8.75/10 Yes! After so much boring or overplayed rock, we get some great prog! I honestly don't know what I like about this one. I do really like the climax after the reverand's section, which has some bipolar guitar. Really fun song.

19. Behind Blue Eyes - The Who (Who's Next) - 8/10 Ugh god. Okay. Don't get me wrong. I love The Who. And I love this song. It's just listening to it on my ipod makes me feel like a cliche kid who tries I be so cool by liking classic rock. I do not love classic rock. I love prog rock. Anyway, I actually do like this.

20. Michelle - The Beatles (Rubber Soul) - 8/10 Such beautiful melodies!

Well that one could have been A LOT better.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2017 at 21:02
1. Koenjihyakkei - Arimmada Horva (Viva) - 8/10 - completely bomkers and wonderful
2. Mott The Hoople - Sucker (Best Of) - 6/10  - Boogie Rock good fun
3, Zamla Mammaz Manna - Liten Karin (Sclargens Mystic) - 5/10 - folky silliness
4. Radio Massacre International - improv 2 (October Gallery) - 7/10 - synth driven spaciness, love these guys
5. Frank Zappa - Blessed Relief (Grand Wazoo) - 8/10 - my favorite period of Frank
6. Sky - Hotta (Sky 2) - 8/10 - groovy stuff from the instrumental classically tinged masters
7. Foxx & Budd - Someone Almost There (Drift Music) - 6/10 - extremely slow flowing ambient, nice
8. Ut Gret - Distant Voices 2 (Recent Fossils) - 4/10 - new age filler
9. Karenautas - La Marquina Karmatica (Recreo) - 8/10 - dark edgy chamber rock from Argentina
10. Chumbawumba - Amnesia (Compilation) - 5/10 - fun indie rock
11. Gilgamesh - With Lady & Friend (Arriving Twice) - 8/10 - quality canterbury, beautiful
12. U Totem - Dance Of The Awkward (s/t) - 7/10 - bouncy edgy avant, good stuff
13. Alamaailman Vasarat - Vasaraaslalainen (Kaarmelautakunta) - 8/10 - kletzmer flavored bouncy lounge music from the Finnish masters, superb
14. John Lee Hooker - I Cover The Waterfront (Mr Lucky) - 7/10 - slow paced gloomy blues, voice to die for
15. The Small Faces - Itchycoo Park (Compilation) - 10/10 - stone cold 60's psyche classic
16. Trey Gunn - Kuma (3rd Star) - 7/10 - super noodly stick work with Crimson tinge
17. National Health - Croquette For Electronic Beating Group (Missing Pieces) - 8/10 - mellow canterbury superb
18. Tori Amos - Silent All These Years (Little Earthquakes) - 8/10 - angst ridden singer songwriter, love this stuff
19. Spratleys Japs - Fear (Pony) - 9/10 - achingly beautiful
20. Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love (The Whole Story) - 6/10 - as good as pop gets

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2017 at 20:38
Hadn't done this in a while, so tried it with mixed results. The danger of using the Amazon Music which combined the songs on my computer with all the "free" songs I added through from Amazon, some of which was rather selected indiscriminately. I have to clean it up one of these days. But for sake of having done it, my list:

1. Porcupine Tree “Dark Matter” Signify - 8: One of my favorite PT albums, and nice headphones in the dark track. Good start.

2. Mile Davis “All Blues" Kind of Blue - 10: One of the all-time great jazz albums, this is also great on the headphones.

3. Judas Priest "Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days" Metal Works '73-'93 - 3: Whoops. From the album Turbo, I must have just added all the songs from the Metal Works compilation. This was their attempt to incorporate some of the hair metal sounds of the time. Can you say career low point?

4. Simon Collins "Powerless" U Castastrophe - 5: By son of Phil, this song is along his dad’s contemporary pop stylings, I guess. Better known prog-wise for Sound of Contact. This is a rather unmemorable anthem type track.  

5. Black Sabbath "Rat Salad" Paranoid - 6: Filler, non-vocal track with the drum stylings of Bill Ward. Great album though.

6. T. Rex "Telegram Sam" The Slider -  8: Ah, cool. From my favorite T. Rex album. I can groove to this.

7. Deborah Brown "My Romance" Jazz After Dark, Vol. 2 - 6:  Vocal jazz standard. I must have added that when I was dating my last girlfriend. It’s pleasant enough, but I had no idea it was part of my song collection.

8. Big Big Train "Dragon Bone Hill" Goodbye to the Age of Steam - 6: Hey, a prog track. It’s a quaint acoustic instrumental number. Basically a filler. It’s nice enough.

9. Blind Faith "Sea of Joy" Blind Faith -  8: Great track, get to listen to Stevie Winwood sing.

10. Kyuss "800" Blues for the Red Sun - 6: Oh hey, another instrumental filler from a great album. Woot.

11. U2 "Stories for Boys" Boy - 7: Single mix, bonus track from extended version added through Amazon. Like the youthful exuberance.

12. Rockabye Baby! "Battery" Lullaby Renditions of Metallica - 7: Say what? I must have added this in some kind of drunken stupor. Actually, the Rockabye Baby! series of albums is an interesting set of instrumental ‘lullabye’ versions of well known rock and pop artists. This track is working for me. Just the intro part of the song, but still, it’s working for me. Must be the Guiness I am enjoying for St. Patrick’s Day.

13. Santana "Toussaint L'Overture" Abraxas - 8: Live, instrumental bonus track on whatever reissue I got. I can dig it.

14. Pete Townshend "A Little Is Enough" The Best of Pete Townshend - Coolwalkingsmoothtalkingstraightsmokingfirestoking - 7: Nice track from Pete’s best solo album Empty Glass.

15. Gloria Gaynor "I Will Survive" Pure Disco - 5: Disco anthem, yay!

16. Judas Priest "Dragonaut" Redeemer of Souls - 4: Getting the worst in Priest. What the heck is a Dragonuat - ‘Fire in the sky, paralyzed with fear, you know you’re gonna die, Dragonaut is here’ Wow. I wrote those lyrics back in middle school. How did they know? Did they find my old trapper keeper?

17. Funkadelic "Music for My Mother" Funkadelic  - 8: This is more like it. I can listen to Funkadelic all day long.

18. Boston “More Than a Feeling” Frat Rock, Vol. 1 - 8: I am feeling nostalgic. Rating this higher than I should. Still, makes me feel good. I really don’t want to see Marianne walk away. But she does...

19. The Sex Pistols “Anarchy in the U.K.” - 10: Yeah, let’s kick some butt. Liven up this rather dull party! Snarl!

20. Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe “Brother of Mine” Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - 7: Hmmm, so this how the playlist ends. Eh, it’s one of the better tracks on the album. Some hippy dippy lyrics to make me feel good. 
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 20:18
Why not

1. Stereolab - Olv 26 (Emperor Tomato Ketchup): 8.5/10, Great avant-pop song. I definitely think this band should be on PA's.

2. Led Zeppelin - How Many More Times (I): 8/10, Kickass Zeppelin track, incredible midsection.

3. Kraftwerk - Tanzmusik (Ralf und Florian): 9.25/10, I love this song so much, probably my favourite from Kraftwerk. Great atmosphere.

4. The Mamas & The Papas - Make Your Own Kind of Music (Best Of): 6/10, Nice vocal harmonies. As much as I love some of their songs, most of their material is not that interesting, this song included.

5. Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely (Songs in the Key of Life): 8.5/10, Groovy. Puts one in a good mood for sure.

6. Syd Barrett - Here I Go (The Madcap Laughs): 5/10, Big fan of Syd here, but this is one of his weaker songs imo.

7. Henry Cow - Nirvana For Mice (LegEnd): 8/10, Probably the "easiest" Henry Cow song. Gotta love that sax.

8. Caravan - Limits (If I Could Do It All Over Again...): 7.5/10, Always overlooked this song since it's one minute long and serves as an interlude between two longer pieces, but it's great by itself. I always thought Robert Wyatt was singing this one.

9. Soft Machine - Save Yourself (Soft Machine): 7/10, Speaking of Wyatt. I love that album, but this song is a weaker link.

10. Kraftwerk - Ruckzuck (Kraftwerk): 9/10, Flute metal!! Gets me so pumped up. Probably my favourite Kraftwerk album.

11. King Crimson - Pictures of a City (Radical Action...): 8/10, They have done a great job in re-arranging the old material, especially on this one. The new guy Jakzyk on vocals disappoints me though...

12. Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Centro Mani E Centro Occhi (Darwin!): 9/10, Such a great singer, great instrumentation too. Intense ending.

13. Steely Dan - Brooklyn (Can't Buy a Thrill): 8/10, One of my favourite pop songs ever. I'll have the chorus stuck in my head all week, no problem with that.

14. Can - Yoo Doo Right (Monster Movie): 8.5/10, That bass line!!! 

15. Ramones - Swallow My Pride (Leave Home): 6.5/10, Good ol' Ramones song. A nice one.

16. Talk Talk - Eden (Spirit of Eden): 8.5/10: Meditative, melancholic yet showing a hint of hope. I really have to be in the right mood to enjoy Talk Talk.

17. Mike Oldfield - In High Places (Crises): 5/10, I usually love Jon Anderson's voice, but not here.

18. Kate Bush - Fullhouse (Lionheart): 7.5/10, Lovely. She has such an enchanting voice.

19. Franco Battiato - Una Cellula (Fetus): 8/10, Great use of synthesizer.

20. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - We Drift Like Worried Fire (Allellujah...): 9.8/10, Wow... What a great one to finish this. I absolutely admire everything GY!BE have released over the years, but this song is special. So powerful, such raw emotions... Spectacular!

Edited by Larkstongue41 - March 12 2017 at 21:01
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 12:59
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

17. One Summer Dream - Electric Light Orchestra (Face the Music) - 9.75/10 Personally, I find this to be a really sad song of heartache. On top of that, it's rather hypnotic which emphasizes the sadness. This might just be the best ELO track ever written.

ohhh...  best?  Hard to say.. but the fact it is in the conversation is enough.  One of my absolute favorites from them

well decribed btw. It hits me where it counts as well.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 12:14
Yesterday's wasn't so good. Let's try this again

1. Mood For a Day - Yes (Fragile) - 9/10 Amazing composition from Steve Howe

2. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? - Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) - 8.5/10 Sometimes crude humor is okay. Especially if it has a progressive middle section

3. Why Did I Fall For That? - The Who (It's Hard) - 8/10 Really underrated song, has a great use of harpsichord. So far, this shuffle has been much better then yesterday's

4. Bargain - The Who (Who's Next) - 8.5/10 This is a good song, but please ipod, don't overwhelm this ipod with The Who

5. R.E.S - Cardiacs (A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window) - 9.5/10 Greatest band ever! This song is so crazy and 70s like, but then it suddenly goes into an awesome more modern guitar solo! Love it!

6. Get Off My Cloud - The Rolling Stones (Best of) - 7/10 Not bad, I once loved this, but that was middle school

7. Fool to Cry - The Rolling Stones (Best of) - 8/10 Better then the last one. More emotional with great keyboards

8. Nine Cats - Porcupine Tree (On the Sunday of a Life) - 9/10 Fun ballad, the keyboards that kick in part way through are really good, and the final guitar is outstanding

9. My Life - Billy Joel (Best of) - 8/10 Nice song, Billy Joel's got some good stuff

10. Amazona - Roxy Music (Stranded) - 8.25/10 Not a horrible track, an avant garde love song with a bad introduction but it gets better...why do I always think of red haired chicks when I hear this?

11. Guide Vocal - Genesis (Duke) - 4/10 One of "those" songs that needs the rest of the medley

12. Eldorado - Electric Light Orchestra (Eldorado) - 8.75/10 Nice meloncholic ELO song with a really good ending

13. Tryin to Grow a Chin - Frank Zappa (Sheik Yerbouit) - 9.25/10 One of my favorite Zappa tracks, great memories with this! "I wanna be dead! In bed please kill me, cause that would thrill me!"

14. La Villa Strangiato - Rush (Hemispheres) - 9.5/10 A lot of great moments here, good quintessential prog track

15. Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before it is Recycled - Porcupine Tree (Lightbulb Sun) - 9.25/10 Has an excelent use of banjo at the beginning, and the ending has spoken word, which I find to be a positive impact on songs. Oh yeah, and the title is really cool.

16. Lovely Rita - The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper) - 8/10 Always a classic

17. One Summer Dream - Electric Light Orchestra (Face the Music) - 9.75/10 Personally, I find this to be a really sad song of heartache. On top of that, it's rather hypnotic which emphasizes the sadness. This might just be the best ELO track ever written.

18. Love Theme From "Number Seven" - Phideaux (Number Seven) - 9.75/10 This is the remastered version of Number Seven, so this version is 14 minutes including "Stori Senti" I think it is. Anyway, this is outstanding. Acts as a classical compilation at the start, but ends with Italian Influence. The end is enlightening!

19. Looking For Someone - Genesis (Trespass) - 7.5/10 Good song, but a bit hard to follow the last couple masterpieces

20. My Wife - The Who (Who's Next) - 8.5/10 Oh fine...would rather end this shuffle with something other then The Who, but at least it's one of there strongest and more progressive songs

This was a REALLY good shuffle!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 20:06
1. Atmosphere - Funkadelic: 4/10 , keyboard improv from Bernie Worrell

2. To Fracture - Canvas Solaris: 7/10,  instrumental progmetal with ethereal keyboard bridge

3. I Know What I Like  (Live) - Genesis : 6/10 from Seconds out, ok delivery of great song. One of the few I would say PG was absolutely essential

4. Forgotten in Space - Voivod: 4/10, one of the weaker songs from the first album of their scifi progmetal phase

5. Warp Zone - Martyr: 7/10 , Randomizer lands on Montreal consecutively. Gnarly vocals with very unusual chord progressions and arpeggios

6.  Thoroughly at Home - Animals as Leaders : 7/10, one of the few raucous start to finish from the debut

7. Concerto in D (2nd movement ) - Steve Howe : 6/10, no vocals, yay!

8. I/O - Hikashu : 6/10 , Newer addition to my collection.  Fun RIO

9. A Passage to Bangkok - Rush : 4/10 , One of the least pleasurable early Rush songs

10. Lord of this World - Black Sabbath : 7/10, Interestingly similar riff to above song but much more organic

11. Bring the Young - Strapping Young Lad : 7/10 , Sludgy closer to SYL, good song

12. Korramda Peim - Ruins : 7/10, Vocal craziness with complex rhythm

13. Still of the Night - Whitesnake : 3/10, a 20 something male in the US in the 90's had to have something in the collection that a girl you brought home from the bar wouldn't immediately seek an exit strategy when you put it on. Not the worst radio hit in the world, by a long shot.

14. Carheart - Virus : 8/10, My favorite from this list, punky with unorthodox guitar work

15. Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With - King Crimson : 3/10, one of the worst KC songs ever. Only slightly better than that Whitesnake song.

16. 3° tempo: Moderato (Fare You Well Dove) - New Trolls : 4/10, Sounded a little late for 1976

17. Padres - Runaway Totem : 4/10, good idea, poor execution

18. The 17 year Cicada - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum : 6/10, one of the quieter tools on Of Natural History

19. Trapped Under Ice - Metallica : 5/10, good energy for what/when it was written. Now?....yawn

20. Mouth - Idiot Flesh : 4/10, Ragtime sounding piece from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum predecessor

No masterpieces from Mr Randomizer today.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 18:07
1. Nobody Told Me - John Lennon (Best of) - 6.75/10 Good song, not what I'm looking for today

2. Presto Vivace and Reprise - U.K (U.K) - 5/10 Needs the two preceding tracks

3. Alaska - U.K (U.K) - 7/10 Wow, more U.K

4. Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles (White Album) - 6.75/10 Nice story, pretty good song

5. Chance Meeting - Roxy Music (Roxy Music) - 8.5/10 Here's what I'm looking for! Nice ballad with crazy avant garde guitars!

6. Homeward Bound - Simon and Garfunkel (Best of) - 8/10 Nice, small song that's always enjoyable after a long day

7. Corporal Clegg - Pink Floyd (A Saucerful of Secrets) - 8.75/10 One of the funniest and craziest Floyd songs out there! Great kazoos! "All right then, in you go!"

8. When I'm Sixty-Four - The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper) - 6/10 I fear I will be always listening to music like this when I'M sixty-four

9. Beautiful Boy - John Lennon (Best of) - 4/10 What am I 4? I really should delete this...

10. Colony of Slippermen - Genesis (The Lamb) - 8.5/10 Really love the intro, but the synthesizer solo is where it's at

11. Bicycle Race - Queen (Best of) - 7/10 Still a funny song, but Queen is taking up pointless slots that should be used for good bands like Cardiacs

12. Baba O'Riley - The Who (Who's Next) - 3/10 ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I'm fed up with overplayed classic rock!!!

13. Complicated - The Rolling Stones (Between the Buttons) - 7/10 This is good because it is NOT overplayed. Between the Buttons is a fun album too!

14. Morning Bell - Radiohead (Kid A) - 8.5/10 This is nice. I love how the guitar builds in the end. The melodies are rather re-assuring

15. Gun Shot a Cry - Eek-a-Mouse (Mouse-a-Mania) - 7/10 The only reggae song on this ipod

16. Easy Does it - Supertramp (Crisis? What Crisis?) - 7/10 Right. Good intro. Let's hope the next song isn't so happy-go-lucky

17. Theme One - Van Der Graaf Generator (Pawn Hearts Bonus Tracks) - 8.25/10 Excellent, some how this is motivating

18. Save Me - Queen (Best of) - 8/10 One of the few Queen songs I can stand

19. Birmingham Blues - ELO (Out of the Blue) - 3/10 God dammit A_Flower, why must you always just HAVE to have the whole album. Some songs are just bad!

20. Houses In Motion - Talking Heads (Remain in Light) 8.75/10 Luckily, we can end this shuffle on a positive note
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 15:37
  1. The Beatles - You Never Give Me Your Money [Abbey Road] - 5/10 - Not a bad song at all, but, like most Beatles music, doesn't do anything really strong for me.
  2. Gary Burton - Olhos De Gato [The New Quartet] - 6/10 - Delectable instrumental ECM jazz with tasteful vibraphone player. Very mellow and soothing, even if it isn't life changing.
  3. George Harrison - My Sweet Lord [All Things Must Pass] - 5/10 - A pretty repetitive song, but quite uplifting and catchy.
  4. Deep Purple - Burn [Burn] - 8/10 - Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! Cool This is my second favourite driving song from Deep Purple after Highway Star, and one that I'm surprised hasn't gotten me any speeding tickets. I absolutely love Jon Lord's keyboard work during the solo section. The man was a legend!
  5. Miles Davis - Miles Runs The Voodoo Down [Bitches Brew] - 8/10 - I was just listening to the whole album last night, and this is no exception to the standard of quality that Davis et al. pulled off on all 90+ minutes of it. This particular track has a fantastic funk feel to it amidst all the avant craziness. 
  6. Genesis - I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) [Selling England By The Pound] - 4/10 - Never did like the poppier feel of this one a whole lot, but it's inoffensive as a whole, which is more than can be said for the never-ending Epping Forest
  7. Jean Sibelius - Valse Triste [Kuolema, Op. 44] - 8/10 - Quite a beautiful, expressive piece that builds in intensity towards its sombre end. Quite poignant given the subject matter of the play that it was written as incidental music for.
  8. Joe Satriani - Ten Words [Super Colossal] - 4/10 - This is quite uplifting after the last one. A Satriani pseudo-ballad, this one isn't especially expressive compared to many of his other works, but it's not a bad song at all.
  9. Joe Satriani - Cool #9 [Joe Satriani] - 5/10 - This is one of the better tracks off of this incredibly bluesy album. A jam-based funk rock piece, there's plenty of fine guitar soloing in here, but it isn't really something that you'd be too into unless you're a Satriani fan.
  10. Outlaws - Keep Prayin' [Outlaws] - 7/10 - Darn fine Southern Rock N' Roll off of one of the best debut albums in history. Infectiously catchy with a nice shuffle beat and blistering blues figures. 
  11. Birds and Buildings - Sunken City, Sunny Day [Bantam To Behemoth] - 8/10 - After a long and chaotic album, this is a perfect ending. Breathtaking, relaxing, mesmerizing, with vivid imagery... and perfectly titled, too. 
  12. Willie Nelson - City of New Orleans [City of New Orleans] - 10/10 - This is a piece of genuine Americana. So many bittersweet and nostalgic memories and images captured in the lyrics, and Willie's soulful vocals make this cover his own. 
  13. Judas Priest - On The Run [Point of Entry] - 7/10 - Yeah! Who doesn't love a hair metal take on the good ol' fashioned blues shuffle?
  14. Grateful Dead - Dark Star [Sunshine Daydream: August 27, 1972] - 9/10 - This may very well be the deepest, jazziest, most exploratory Dark Star in the entire Grateful Dead universe. Simply breathtaking.
  15. Steve Vai - Sisters [Passion and Warfare] - 6/10 - A very intimate, almost bluesy side of Steve Vai that we don't get to hear very often. This instrumental really reminds me of The Boy From Seattle, but this one is much sweeter. 
  16. Jon Anderson - Dance of Ranyart [Olias of Sunhillow] - 5/10 - Typical sun-worship-save-the-whales Jon Anderson fare, with a New Age sort of sound to it, but like all Jon Anderson sun-worship-save-the-whales music, it's filled with uplifting melodies and gorgeous harmonies. Very easy to enjoy music.
  17. Birds and Buildings - East Is Fort Orthodox [Multi-Purpose Trap] - 7/10 - The typical headspinning complexity that you come to expect from Birds and Buildings, with a very dramatic flair. This particular one is more on the symphonic side of things, with violin and mellotron creeping their way into the mix. Like most Birds and Buildings, I can't say I'm a fan of the vocals, but at least they're far better mixed than on Bantam To Behemoth, and the instrumental arrangements are impeccable.
  18. Steve Vai - Little Green Men [Flex-Able] - 6/10 - This one was definitely written with a Zappa-esque intention. The gnome voices are surprisingly non-annoying, and the beat is pretty funky underneath all the silliness. Altogether, this song is a whole lot of fun. 
  19. Joe Satriani - Devil's Slide [Engines of Creation] - 9/10 - This is simply my favourite techno song of all time, and the perfect start to a very unique album in Joe Satriani's homogeneous discography. So exhilarating and futuristic, there's such a cool, frantic Blade Runner type of atmosphere to it all. 
  20. Crucis - Abismo Terrenal [Los Delirios Del Mariscal] - 9/10 - Simply awesome. Leave it to these Argentinian geniuses to show the world how space rock should be done. All the cosmic atmosphere, but with none of the drawn-out psychedelic trippiness and all of the sexy, groove-based ferocity that makes this one of the top South American albums of the 70's (amidst fierce competition). 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 11:27
1 ring moonlets - North Sea Radio Orchestra (I a moon) 6/10 Nice but the highlights are elsewhere on this album
2 Year of the Dog - F u c k  Buttons (Slow Focus) 5.5/10 Monotone hypnotic electrorhythm with some variation but little composition
3 Feurio! - Einstuerzende Neubauten (Haus der Luege) 7/10 Pretty monotone as well but exciting industrial rhythm
4 A Diamond is the Devil's Eye - Eric Bachmann (Short Careers) 8/10 Pleasant minimalist soundtrack music with good dynamic
5 Mad World - Tears for Fears (The Hurting) 6.5/10 Good song, addictive melody, not too keen on the eighties keyboard and drum sound here
6 Prologue - Renaissance (Live at Carnegie Hall) 8/10 They know how to open a concert
7 Radiator - Aphex Twin (Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2) 8.5/10 Minimalist and ambient but near perfect in its own way
8 Nebel steigen auf - Richard Strauss (Eine Alpensinfonie Op. 64) 7/10 This is just 18 seconds of the Alpensinphonie but a pretty good use of them
9 Piano Phase (D*Note's Phased & Konfused mix) - Steve Reich (Reich: Remixed) 5.5/10 This doesn't really benefit from a techno remix; anyway, there seems to be something of a minimalist theme in this mix
10 Holding Out My Hand - Colin Bass (Live at Polskie Radio 3) 6.5/10 OK melodic song, not very exciting at first but with a good build up toward the end
11 Track 2 - AMM (Uncovered Correspondence - a Postcard from Haslo) 9/10 Subtle calm meditative improvised music where every note and every nuance counts  
12 Tron - Foals (Antidotes) 6.5/10 Good compact sound, not yet as mature and confident as they are these days
13 Tomorrow's Started - Jason Lytle (Spirit of Talk Talk) 7/10 Good if not overly adventurous cover version, pretty faithful to the spirit of Talk Talk indeed
14 Konstancja - Przemyslaw Staczek International Group  (White Grain of Coffee) 7.5/10 Smooth and enjoyable Polish modern jazz
15 3x0 - Pinback (Summer in Abaddon) 8/10 Typically cute Pinback song with good harmony vocals
16 Wer hierher kommt, will vor die Tuer - Kante (Rhythmus Berlin) 6.5/10 Another solid catchy rock song
17 Mystery (RPS no. 8) - Holger Czukay, Jah Wobble, Jaki Liebezeit (Full Circle) 8/10 Love the jungle atmosphere on this, the vocals are not really my cup of tea
18 Traces - Meredith Monk (Songs of Ascension) 6.5/10 And more minimalism... unfortunately only a short filler on this great album
19 Eisblumen - Subway to Sally (Nord Nord Ost) 9/10 Archetypical anthem of German folk metal rockers STS, perfectly balancing their middle age and heavy elements
20 Moria - Anyone's Daughter (Requested Document Live 1980-1983 Vol. I) 6/10 One of the fastest and hardest AD tunes, sound not perfect here

Edited by Lewian - February 19 2017 at 11:29
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 09:07
Just filtered some of the bad songs off my ipod, let's see how I did!

1. The Jean Genie - David Bowie (Best of) - 6.75/10 Oh...a little overplayed, but actually a really good track

2. Natural Science - Rush (Permenant Waves) - 8.5/10 Awesome and environmental

3. Electric Guitar - Talking Heads (Fear of Music) - 7/10 Quite an interesting track, not bad, but not horrible

4. Death on Two Legs - Queen (A Night At The Opera) - 9/10 Now THIS is a good Queen song!!! Normally I hate them, but not when they do something like this!

5. Sleep Dirt - Frank Zappa (Sleep Dirt) - 8/10 A nice acoustic little track before the epic ocean at the end

6. When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin) - 9.25 Always one of my top choices for Led Zeppelin. Never gets old, the guitar riffs are some of those that always just stick with you

7. Duchess - Genesis (Duke) - 7.75/10 Love the ambient intro, and the song is a very nice section in the Duke Melody

8. Black Cat - Gentle Giant (Aquiring The Taste) - 6/10 I know I should really like this one like most GG song, but I just haven't necessarily fallen for it yet

9. Baby Don't You Do It - The Who (Who's Next Bonus Tracks) - 3/10 What is THIS doing on my ipod!!! I made sure this song and most of those other bonus tracks were deleted! Oh well, as the Cybermen say, DELETE!

10. Black Country Rock - David Bowie (The Man Who Sold The World) - 8/10 Awesome rocker, one of my most favorite Bowie albums for its creepy ominous atmosphere

11. Baby Dream In Cellophane - Porcupine Tree (Stupid Dream) - 8.5/10 If more artists wrote songs like Steven Wilson, the world would be a much better place

12. Sweet Dreams - Yes (Time and a Word) - 8/10 Uplifting hippie messages are usually good to have in your collection

13. Hoedown - ELP (Trilogy) - 8.75/10 Better then any classical version, in my opinion for its crazy keyboard harmony!

14. Grey Seal - Elton John (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) - 8.25/10 Not much to say, just listen

15. Aisle of Plenty - Genesis (Selling Enlgand By the Pound) - 7/10 Sure, it's the tiny conclusion, but it really plays of the album, doesn't it?

16. Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles (Magical Mystery Tour) - 9.5/10 Wow...emotional song. Normally I don't pay attention to lyrics, but these lyrics are very good

17. Blood on the Rooftops - Genesis (Wind And Wuthering) - 9.75/10 Never really understood it back when I heard this album in 8th grade. But I just recently discovered it's about seeing such horror on the news that you have to just turn it off, which is still 100% relevant in this scary age here in America

18. The Sleepwalkers - VDGG (Godbluff) - 9.25/10 Yes this one is very good. The keyboard riff is so outstanding, I love the little humorous section, and the end fantastic! These guys were so ahead of there time!

19. Human Highway - Neil Young (Comes a Time) - 8.5/10 Great refresher after the former darker songs

20. You Better You Bet - The Who (Best of) - I still really like this song, reminds me of some of the first plays I was ever in...aw, the nostalgia...
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 22:13
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^You bet. I'd recommend start with checking out Matrix 5 (which includes Anaklasis). Terrifying but also insanely out there, inventive, otherworldly, beautiful and fantastic.

Thanks! yeah I like this kind of stuff.

Edited by zwordser - January 21 2017 at 22:14
Z
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 05:34
^You bet. I'd recommend start with checking out Matrix 5 (which includes Anaklasis). Terrifying but also insanely out there, inventive, otherworldly, beautiful and fantastic.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 21 2017 at 05:48
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 20:57
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I really love my music collection. I thought it was 20 but its 21 - so sorry

Krzysztof Penderecki - Anaklasis 8/10 - composed in 1959 and means "refraction of light". The young avant-garde genius of Krzysztof gently builds up to a thick wall of terrifying sound from 42 stringed instruments that literally make my hair stand on end. Unfortunately that wall rather quickly dissolves into nothingness until a completely bonkers percussion solo seemingly performed on buckets, bottles, rocks and cutlery comes crashing in... now back to eerie and quiet again - followed by a final wash of breathtaking horrorstrings. Its almost like a sketch for the life-changing Threnody composed less than a year later.           

Sounds like its worth checking out!
Z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>