Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shuffle n' Rate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuffle n' Rate
    Posted: June 14 2016 at 18:41
4-5 Years ago, there was a thread of a similar nature-- (and with some time on my hands, I've decided to revive the idea!) .....

If you have a significant number of digital/digitized albums on your computer, shuffle your entire collection (and/or if you have a way to randomize CD/vinyl into the mix do that). Post the 20 songs/tracks from the top of your resulting list (track/artist/album), rate each, (preferably 1-10, but however), and write a brief 1-2 sentence comment/critique.

And no cheating or skipping around; whatever musically comes to the top, U list and rate!  All inclusive: not limited to any specific musical genre.

Here's mine taken from all the songs currently on my computer (about 6000 total, about 2/3 of my entire collection). It ended up being an unusually prog-heavy and in particular, Rennaisance-heavy list (but I'm not complaining):

1.  Prologue: The Blackboard, Ayreon (Theory of Everything, Disk I)  6/10. An OK intro to a so-so double disk album.

2. The Modern Adventures of Diogenes, Plato, and Freud, Blood Sweat and Tears, (Child is Father to the Man) 7.5/10.  Favorite track on this album, the strings/classical feel is excellent!

3. The Rain Song, Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy) 7.3/10.  Its classic LZ!

4. I've Had Enough, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, and Linda Ronstadt, (Trio) 4.2/10.  Mostly Linda with backup from the others; I like Linda's voice (she's won like, what, 8 Grammy's?) but this isn't my cup o' tea.

5. Yours is No Disgrace, Yes, (The Yes Album) 9.5/10. Yes's Bonanza-crazed bonanza! There was a time I could not stop listening to this; now I can, but it still sounds great!

6. Wanderer, Renaissance, (Innocents and Illusions), 7/10.  One of the better tracks from this early Rennaisance; really like the harpsichord sound.

7. Circle, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, (Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars) 5.5/10. In a certain hippie-ish mood I might rate this a little higher.

8. Break the Chains, Khan (Space Shanty) 8.5/10.  A song of motivation from a great one-album wonder!

9. Words of Love, The Beatles (On Air Live at the BBC: Volume II) 4/10. Short early 60s rock ballad: the Beatles have much better material.

10. MX Missiles, Andrew Bird (Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs), 7.8/10. I really like this guy's mellow quirkiness, and this is one of his more "proggy" albums.

11. Kiev, Renaissance (Prologue). 8/10. This album is the grand introdution of Haslam-era Rennasance, and Kiev is one of the better tracks--Love the "Rachmaninoff" solo section.

12. Wish I Were Here, Spock's Beard (Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep) 6.7/10. Reminds me that I probably haven't listened to this album enough, and it may have some room to grow on me.

13. Linus and Lucy, Vince Guiraldi Trio (A Boy Named Charlie Brown) 5.9/10. I've heard this called less-than-great jazz, but hey, I like Charlie Brown, and this is his music. Used to play it myself.

14. Mr. Pine, Renaissance (Innocents and Illusions) 6.2/10.  I have mixed feelings about this track; don't especially like the song structure, but sometimes it really grabs me with its bit of bluesiness mixed with Rennaisancy sound/atmosphere, and I want to give it, like, an 8.

15. Hold On My Heart. Genesis (We Can't Dance) 3.6/10.  Just don't much care for slow/pop Genesis. 

16. Culling of the Fold, The Decemberists (The Crane Wife) 7.5/10. Sometimes hard to tell if/when the Decemberists are being "dark"--as this piece. Dark up-beat folky humor? Either way, skillfully performed.

17. Suite No. 3 in G Major: Menuet, Handel (Water Music/Neville Mariner). 6.5/10.  A dainty little piece.

18. Heat of the Moment. Asia (Asia) 5.8/10.  Reminds me of High School when this was popular on the radio. 

19. The Tango III, Felix Martin (The Scenic Album) 8.3/10. An excellent hard, skip-beat prog tango from this virtuoso (saw him at Baja Prog and knew I needed to get album). Too short, though.

20. Prelude, George Winston, (December) 6.8/10.  I swear I've seen this album in every thrift store I've ever been to.  I am a Winston fan, though, and often like soft piano tracks like this for background. 

Edited by zwordser - June 16 2016 at 12:13
Z
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 19:47
I have a small, motley collection of digital only albums and a few albums digitised for transfer to my phone. Shuffling them all gave me:

"Aquarius" - Boards of Canada (Music Has The Right To Children, 1998) One of the key tracks on BoC's magnum opus. Ethereal synths float around great bass and beat samples, progressing through different permutations. Orange! (10/10)

"Mike Dred Original Mix Tapes 04A" - Mike Dred (c. 1990) One of many rave era collections digitised and shared by Dred in recent months. Part one of two, in this case. These all bridge various electronic and Jamaican styles and genres. (10/10)

"Renewable Destination Side B" - Caboladies (Renewable Destination, 2011) Rip of an obscure, vinyl-only noise album. The whole thing is very light, calming, and sounds almost like a nature recording. (10/10)

"Book of Saturday" - King Crimson (Larks' Tongues In Aspic, 1973) We all know this one. Pretty little reprieve after the storm of "Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part I". (9/10)

"The National Anthem" - Radiohead (Kid A, 2000) Bass driven, free jazz spouting monster of a track. (9/10)

"Getting Sodas" - The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die (Whenever, If Ever, 2013) Emo meets post rock. Turns out wonderful. (8/10)

"Ghost!" - Kid Cudi (Man On The Moon Part II, 2010) Decent, sleazy track off Cudi's best album. It was all downhill from here. (6/10)

"Rose Quartz Turning Into Glass" - maudlin of the Well (Part The Second, 2009) Orchestral unto post rock unto math rock unto light post metal. (10/10)

"Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down" - Interpol (Turn On The Bright Lights, 2002) Melancholy track deep into its album; I don't like it as much as the tracks from side one of said album. (7/10)

"Chain Smoker" - Chance The Rapper (Acid Rap, 2013) Bonus track for the main upload of Chance's breakout mixtape. Nice cut. (7/10)

"Disco Infiltrator" - LCD Soundsystem (LCD Soundsystem, 2005) Brash vocals, ascending electronic sounds, yet another brilliant DFA beat. (10/10)

"Spread Eagle Cross The Block" - Death Grips (Exmilitary, 2011) I F**K THE MUSIC! I MAKE IT COME! I F**K THE MUSIC WITH MY SERPENT TONGUE! AIN'T NO FUN IF THE ALIENS CAN'T HAVE NONE!!! (10/10)

"WhiteTrashMidwesternTown" - Bones (Rotten, 2014) One of the lesser tracks by the prolific gothic rapper. He has some knockouts, though. (6/10)

"spaces how V" - Autechre (elseq 1-5, 2016) One of dozens of killer, mechanical, experimental cuts off a new hours long collection from these long running IDM gods. (10/10)

"Have You Seen Her Lately?" - Pulp (His 'n' Hers, 1994) Another classic Pulp cut about the downs of relationships. Jarvis Cocker implores a girl not to see some sort of bad boyfriend. (10/10)

"Excerpt From 6,000,000,000,000 Miles Before The First..." - maudlin of the Well (Part The Second, 2009) Hey! Another maudlin cut! (10/10)

"Second Guessing" - R.E.M. (Reckoning, 1984) A fun little track from R.E.M.'s best album. (8/10)

"Bloodflood" - alt-j (An Awesome Wave, 2012) Key late cut from this opaque breakout LP. (10/10)

"Sleep Sound" - Jamie xx (In Colour, 2015) There was only one bad track on this wonderful dance/dance-pop album, and this one isn't it. (10/10)

"The Pin Drop" - Steven Wilson (The Raven That Refused To Sing, 2013) How about this one? Nothing on that album was fresh, but it was all deliriously enjoyable. Plus I made a mixtape out of it and several 4 1/2 cuts. (...10/10)
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 20:04
Great list!  I'm only familiar with about half of what you posted, but love the maudlin of the Well, as you do.
Z
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 21:50
Ice 9 - Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien (6/10) Some cool riffing and an awesome Kurt Vonnegut allusion but not exceptional.

Fifty-Four - Sea Level - On The Edge (1/10) A very generic, dated sounding late 70's jazz fusion instrumental from an otherwise OK album.

Red, White & Blue - Judas Priest - British Steel (Bonus track) (4/10) Not my favourite song from them; it gets a bit slow and repetitive. The sort of thing you'd wave your lighter to if it was played live, though.

Terremoto - Strunz & Farah - Heat of The Sun (5/10) Sounds like just about every other Strunz & Farah track from the same era; good, but not great.

Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part 2 - King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic (9/10) If you didn't believe that King Crimson had an influence on metal, listen to this again. The opening riff and the ballistic ending will, to quote Jack Black, "blow the classical music out your butt".

Travelling Riverside Blues - Led Zeppelin - Coda (2/10) Not a fan of this one at all, really. The instrumental track is too repetitive, I don't like the guitar tone and I really don't like Robert Plant's singing.

Kiss of Freedom - Uriah Heep - Into The Wild (6/10) A fairly decent prog-ish closer to a par-for-the-course modern release by a classic band.

One Way Out - Allman Brothers Band - Live: SUNY at Stonybrook 9/19/71 (3/10) A great tune, but the recording quality at this show is quite poor. The Eat A Peach version is definitely still the go-to.

Crime of The Century - Supertramp - Crime of The Century (7/10) A powerful closer; the saxophone at the end is chilling.

Roll On Down The Highway - BTO - Not Fragile (9/10) The single best rock song to come out of Canada; this guitar solo is one of my favourites because every time you think it's going to end (and don't want it to), it just keeps on coming!

Giant - Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant (8/10) An awesome opening to a stellar career. I've always loved this song, feeling that it felt kind of like a collaboration between Genesis and Deep Purple.

Windows of The Soul - Steve Vai - The Ultra Zone (3/10) Of his ballads, this isn't one of the better ones, it feels sort of forced or "saturated" most of the time.

Thelonius - Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow (2/10) The weak track on an otherwise brilliant album.

Dear Father - Yes - Yes (Bonus track) (4/10) One of the better very early Yes songs, but doesn't hold a candle to anything from The Yes Album and on.

Savoy Truffle - The Beatles - White Album (1/10) Filler.

Cool Dry Place - Traveling Wilburys - Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 3 (5/10) While not instrumentally interesting, a funny and catchy song nonetheless.

The Sky Is Crying - George Thorogood - Move It On Over (6/10) A very well-done blues standard.

Let Nature Sing - Richard Betts - Highway Call (7/10) A very beautiful country song with outstanding instrumental interplay from everyone in the band, and simple yet effective vocal work.

To Be Over - Yes - Relayer (4/10) The weakest of the three songs on Relayer, there are some pretty moments but it ultimately lacks the grandeur of other Yes ballads like And You And I.

Hidden Shadows - Herbie Hancock - Sextant (8/10) My favourite of the three Sextant excursions, this has the most accessible groove and delves into dissonance the least often, but still makes for a satisfying voyage.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 10:25
Looks Like Fun!

Something - The Beatles (Abbey Road) - 6.75/10 Beautiful love song, really describes what it's like falling in love, and how you're never sure if this love will grow or not. It gets most progressive in the middle, but doesn't get a huge rating because it's not a full on masterpiece prog song

Jet - Paul McCartney (Best of Wings) - 5.5/10 Has some good chord changes and I lie the reggue of it

One For the Vine - Genesis (Wind and Wuthering) - 9.5/10 Hands down one of the greatest prog songs of all time! The way the piano fits Collins melodies-and the avant garde-ish middle is amazing! This is Tony Bank's swan song!

Let it Grow - Eric Clapton (Best of Eric Clapton) - 6.5/10 Bought this one a long time ago because it made me think of my cousins. It is very overlooked and is actually a great tune!

Now I'm Here - Queen (Best of Queen) - 5/10 Really don't listen to this one so much. Queen can occasionally get on my nerves

Baby Don't You Do it - The Who (Who's Next Bonus Tracks - 3.5/10 not really getting a good shuffle today!

Doctor Jimmy - The Who (Quadrophenia) - 8/10 Awesome song, really dramatic climax for Quadrophenia, love the trumpet!

Hello I Love You - The Doors (Waiting for the Sun) - 6.25/10 Funny song, but not perfect

Duchess - Genesis (Duke) - 7.5/10 Not to shabby for Phil Collins era, great ambient feel at the beginning

The Necromancer - Rush (Caress of Steel) - 6/10 Really forced, tries too hard to be prog with it's narration. Other then that, it has some awesome sections

Paranoid Android - Radiohead (OK Computer) - 9/10 Basically the first modern prog song I ever listened to. Awesome changes for a 6 minute song, always a pleasure to hear

Words (Berween the Lines of Age) - Neil Young (Harvest) - 6.75/10 Great bass line for the guitar solo. My parents love Neil

Sea Breezes - Roxy Music (Roxy Music) - 8.25/10 One of my favorites from one of my favorite bands. Great meloncholic feel and then gets quite schizophrenic in the middle. Really can describe the human condition

Five Per Cent For Nothing - Yes (Fragile) - 2/10 BubumbumBEMbumbumBEMBEMbumbembombumBEMbumbumBEMBEMbum...you know the rest

We'll Let You Know - King Crimson (Starless and Bible Black) 5.5/10 One of the few weaker songs for the Crimson King

In a Glass House - Gentle Giant (In a Glass House) - 9/10 A lot of emotion is put into this song-makes me think of this school I visited that is partially made out of glass and once suffered a school shooting. Has so much going on, and the ending part has some of the most powerful lyrics

Wild is the Wind - David Bowie (Station to Station) - 6/10 good love song but kind of drags on

The Face - Gentle Giant (The Power and the Glory) - 7/10 love the guitar riff tags! Great violin solo too

The Jean Genie - David Bowie (Alladin Sane) - 6.5/10 Used to really like it, but heard it a lot by now

Custard Pie - Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti) - 7/10 Cool underrated hard rock song!

Skating Away - Jethro Tull (War Child) - 8/10 Love this song, builds up and is very humorous. One of my favorite Tull songs for sure!
User Banned for this Post
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justin4950834-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 14:23
  1. Cassandra Gemminni III - The Mars Volta (Frances The Mute) - 7/10 Lots of energy but just a snippet from the full song.
  2. Devils Food - Alice Cooper (Welcome To My Nightmare) - 6/10 Its listenable... I guess.
  3. Gone Hollywood - Supertramp (Breakfast In America) - 9/10 Album gets a lot of hate but great song none the less. Great sax, great dynamics.
  4. Inchworm - Battles (Gloss Drop) - 8.5/10  What can say, theirs nothing quite like it.
  5. Down Home Special - Bo Diddley (Bo Diddley The Chess Box) - 5.0/10 Old recording, boring, not a huge blues fan.
As If Your Eyes Were Partly Closed, As If You Honed The Swirl Within Them And Offered Me The World - Brian Eno (Drums Between The Bells) - 8/10 Such a long title for such a short song, but it still managed to move me in that short amount of time.
  1. Phantasmagoria In Two - Tim Buckley (Goodbye And Hello) - 7.5/10 Very good vocals, that's about all it has going for it though.
  2. Into The Storm - Yes (Fly From Here) - 8/10 Warm, organic production with some classic guitar work by Steve Howe.
  3. The Hearts Filthy Lesson (Simenon Mix) - David Bowie (The Hearts Filthy Lesson) - 7/10 Dense and trippy but repetitive.
  4. First Light - Robert Fripp (A Blessing Of Tears) - 8.5/10 Strangely beautiful and hypnotic. A very quick 8 min.
  5. The Moles Are Coming - The Residents (Heaven?) 5.0/10 Crappy production and not as believable as Duck stab or Eskimo, but I kind of liked the flamenco style horns toward the end.
  6. Even Better Than The Real Thing - U2 (Even Better Than The Real Thing) - 7/10  Its good.
  7. All This Time Were Given - Echolyn (I Heard You Listening) - 10/10 Amazing,one of the best progressive band that is still going.
  8. Spirit Of Survival - Yes (Magnification) - 6.5/10 Yeah ok, can we get something besides Yes for a change.
  9. Inside Looking Out - Mark Hollis (Mark Hollis) - 9.5/10 It brings you somewhere else.
  10. Gaayatri - Ravi Shankar (Chants Of India) - 10/10 Beautiful, Other Worldly, extremely hypnotic, do not try at home.
  11. Mother Whale Eyeless - Brian Eno (Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy) - 9.5/10 A lot emotion put into it... if you listen closely, lets just say... its classic Electronic/Glam Eno.
  12. Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long) - Passengers (Original Soundtracks 1) -  9.5 Anxious, tense and dark, with a gloomy western themed overtone.
  13. Pigs... (In There) Robert Wyatt (EPs) - 9/10 Weird but unexpectedly very good.  
  14. Creator - The Meat Puppets (Up On The Sun) - 8/10 Interesting and kind of unpredictable.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justin4950834-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 14:32
  • Cassandra Gemminni III - The Mars Volta (Frances The Mute) - 7/10 Lots of energy but just a snippet from the full song.

• Devils Food - Alice Cooper (Welcome To My Nightmare) - 6/10 Its listenable... I guess.

• Gone Hollywood - Supertramp (Breakfast In America) - 9/10 Album gets a lot of hate but great song none the less. Great sax, great dynamics.

• Inchworm - Battles (Gloss Drop) - 8.5/10  What can say, theirs nothing quite like it.

• Down Home Special - Bo Diddley (Bo Diddley The Chess Box) - 5.0/10 Old recording, boring, not a huge blues fan.

• As If Your Eyes Were Partly Closed, As If You Honed The Swirl Within Them And Offered Me The World - Brian Eno (Drums Between The Bells) - 8/10 Such a long title for such a short song, but it still managed to move me in that short amount of time.

• Phantasmagoria In Two - Tim Buckley (Goodbye And Hello) - 7.5/10 Very good vocals, that's about all it has going for it though.

• Into The Storm - Yes (Fly From Here) - 8/10 Warm, organic production with some classic guitar work by Steve Howe.

• The Hearts Filthy Lesson (Simenon Mix) - David Bowie (The Hearts Filthy Lesson) - 7/10 Dense and trippy but repetitive.

• First Light - Robert Fripp (A Blessing Of Tears) - 8.5/10 Strangely beautiful and hypnotic. A very quick 8 min.

• The Moles Are Coming - The Residents (Heaven?) 5.0/10 Crappy production and not as believable as Duck stab or Eskimo, but I kind of liked the flamenco style horns toward the end.

• Even Better Than The Real Thing - U2 (Even Better Than The Real Thing) - 7/10  Its good.

• All This Time Were Given - Echolyn (I Heard You Listening) - 10/10 Amazing,one of the best progressive band that is still going.

• Spirit Of Survival - Yes (Magnification) - 6.5/10 Yeah ok, can we get something besides Yes for a change.

• Inside Looking Out - Mark Hollis (Mark Hollis) - 9.5/10 It brings you somewhere else.

• Gaayatri - Ravi Shankar (Chants Of India) - 10/10 Beautiful, Other Worldly, extremely hypnotic, do not try at home.

• Mother Whale Eyeless - Brian Eno (Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy) - 9.5/10 A lot emotion put into it... if you listen closely, lets just say... its classic Electronic/Glam Eno.

• Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long) - Passengers (Original Soundtracks 1) -  9.5 Anxious, tense and dark, with a gloomy western themed overtone.

• Pigs... (In There) Robert Wyatt (EPs) - 9/10 Weird but unexpectedly very good.  

• Creator - The Meat Puppets (Up On The Sun) - 8/10 Interesting and kind of unpredictable.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 17:37
I have trouble with numerical ratings but I'm up for giving this a go.

Kiln – Mono (s/t):  Droney, slightly glitchy electro-acoustica.  I bought this because the same people later formed a group called Fibreforms who released a brilliant album,  Treedrums. The track is pleasant enough, but it doesn’t do much for me.

Rabih Abih-Khalil – Beirut (Blue Camel):  Pensive solo oud intro leads into an upbeat desert jazz number - tempted to say desert hard bop! - underpinned by Ramesh Shotram’s percussion.  Superb, searching alto sax solo from Charlie Mariano.  This is just great, like pretty much everything R A-K does.

Wo Fat – The Shard From Leng (Black Codes):  Jazzy and bluesy psych rock power trio. I love how loose the band sound here, but at the same time it’s in the pocket, grooving. Really enjoying this, I should listen to WF more often. Vocals kick in after about six minutes, sounding like a gruffer and grungier Dusty Hill, waxing Lovecraftian after several bong hits.  Then we get a guitar wig out that builds to freaky, noisy climax. Nice.

Alex Cline Ensemble – Evening Bell (To The Memory of Toru Takemitsu) (The Constant Flame):  Sort of Buddhist improv. It’s a lovely, meditative, piece. But I’m not in the mood for this and skip after six out of twelve minutes.

John Fahey – View (East From The Top Of The Riggs Road / B&O Trestle) (The Yellow Princess):  Solo guitar piece. Recognisable as JF within three notes I’d say. Never get bored of this album.

John Cale – Half Past France (Paris 1919): Good song but I can’t be arsed with it now for some reason. Skip.

SunnO)))/Boris – Fried Eagle Mind (Altar):  Nope, too long and too boring for current mood. Skip.

Už Jsme Doma – Kouzelnik (Pohadek Ze Zapotrebi Znovuudelani Fortelne): Groovy jazz punk prog.  Nutty drum solo! f**k knows what this is about but I love it.

Magma – Malawëlëkaahm (Wurdah Itah):  Can’t remember when I last span the album, but this Side One opener is classic choral Magma and gets quite intense. Tempted to abandon my shuffle session and just listen to Magma now. But no!

Celtic Frost – Sorrows of the Moon (Into the Pandemonium): This was the album where Tom G. Warrior realised he could do whatever he wanted, with mixed results.  I think the earlier stuff was better, but this is a laugh for the tortured Goth vocals.

Time for bed now but this is fun, I'll do more later.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 15 2016 at 17:39
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 19:58
Animals - Talking Heads (Fear of Music) - 9/10 So funny, David Byrnn talks about how animals are always bumping into things and setting a bad example, and the Eno ending is superb!

Knots - Gentle Giant (Octopus) - 8/10 Took me 15 listens but I love this one! It's best when the piano kicks in

Fretless - R.E.M (Until the End of the World Soundtrack) - 7/10 such earie feel, "Don't Talk to Me About Being Alone"

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (Best of) - 8/10 awesome track, my favorite MJ song, love the guitar and strings

Dance on a Volcano - Genesis (A Trick of the Tail) - 7/10 The song that made my sister hate Genesis and prog in general. But for me, I love this one, great melodies, and cool drumming

Sofa No. 2 - Frank Zappa (One Size Fits All) - 8.25/10 Perfect ending to a perfect album. Love how he sings it in German. The ending gives me goosebumps!

Proclamation - Gentle Giant (The Power and the Glory) - 9/10 Been getting a lot of Gentle Giant on these. This so happens to be my favorite for it's build up in the middle to it's scary organ part

The Three Fates - ELP (ELP) - 5.75/10 Meh, not my favorite, good piano, but goes on too long

Look Into the Sun - Jethro Tull (Stand Up) - 7.5/10 There is no such thing as a bad Jethro Tull song. I love this one! Very sad and emotional

Circus of Heaven - Yes (Tormato) - 4/10 Why? Why this one? The first half is quite childish and the second half starts with a good melody but then...Jon Anderson's son... also, it has no clowns! Or lions! Or bears!

Hats of to (Roy) Harper - Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin III) - 5/10 Kind of funny, but overall mostly boring. This shuffle started so strong lets hope it gets better soon

I Can Bet - Paul McCartney (NEW) - 6.5/10 Not bad for being off his new album, but the best song from this album is Queenie Eye

Break of Dawn - Michael Jackson (Best of) - 7.5/10 Yet another Michael Jackson song! Really cool love song, really like the chorus on this track. I also like when he starts sounding creepy

Yours Truely, 2095 - ELO (Time) - 5/10 Don't know why I used to love this song...it's kind of annoying. But I love the bridge when he goes "Is that what you want?"

Then I got Wild is the Wind by David Bowie again. But I just did that one on my last post! Therefore I must skip it. What are the odds? I have 1,506 songs on my ipod.

Fashion - David Bowie (Scary Monsters) - 7.75/10 Such great lyrics, and the scatting at the end is my favorite part. A great one for Bowie

Catherine of Aragon - Rick Wakemen (Six Wives of Henry VIII) - 7/10 Not bad, actually really good and stately. Gets forgotten underneath Catherine Howard and Anne of Cleves

Moon Rocks - Talking Heads (Speaking in Tongues) 5/10 Another song I should probably listen to some more

Roll Over Beethoven - ELO (ELO II) - 9/10 Quick story to tell about this one. I was shuffling my ipod on a bus and my friend (who was a girl) decided to join me in what I was listening to. For a few songs we had some normal Talking Heads and Beatles. But then this came on. She immediately said, "What? This song just changed from a classical song to a 60s rock song, what is this!?" Shortly after, she took her headphone out and stopped listening to my music with me. Not surprised. Anyway, I love how they put so many new melodies in this one! So awesome!

Reptiles and Samurai - Oingo Boingo (Nothing to Fear) - 9.25/10 Really underrated song my dad showed me. I don't even know what reptiles and samurai have in common, but the song is so good and funny, I highly recomend it!

Supper's Ready - Genesis (Foxtrot) - 9.75 Perfect one to end this shuffle. We have all heard it. My favorite parts are all of them but of course I love Willow Farm which is where my avatar name is from. The ending is so powerful when it starts fading out. Always a pleasure
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 20:59
1. Doors To The Cloud - Calle Debauche - Salvation Of The Motherland - 4/10 - slightly inferior album missing the main man 
2. Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd - WYWH - 9/10 - strong song on a great album, the acid starts to bite
3. Llueve - Karenautas - Recreo - 7/10 - really lovely Chamber Rock from a young Argentinian band, lilting vocals
4. Part 6 Infinite Background - Finnegans Wake - The Bird & The Sky Above - 3/10 - Free jazz on the weakest FW album.
5. The Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen - Sounds of The Suburbs Compilation - 6/10 - fun goth pop
6. Not Every Sequwl Finds A Name - Might Could - The NESFAN Triology - 4/10 - guitar combo from Chicago lead by Luis Nasser
7. Sumu - KTU - 8 Armed Monkeys - 7/10 - Accordion Avant!! featuring Mastallotto & Levin - fun  nonesense.
8. The Passenger - Iggy Pop - Compilation - 8/10 - fun edgy punky pop from one of the masters 
9. The Things We Throw Away - Jakko Jakszyk - Bruised Romantic Glee Club - 5/10 - very mellow instrumental track
10. Messiah - Revivor - Voire Dire - 4/10 - straight heavy rock, average
11. Crane - Fernwood - Almeria - 7/10 - guitar led instrumental mellow new age stuff
12. As Subtle - Ergo - As Subtle As Tomorrow - 6/10 - modern experimental jazz 
13. Down Through The Night - Hawkwind - Space Ritual - 8/10 - Spacey goodness from their definitive album
14. Printemps Noir - Noetra - Definitivement Bleus - 6/10 - experimental chamber jazz/fusion
15. Mela - Julie Slick - s/t - 6/10 - heavy instrumental edgy prog
16. Carrying No Cross - UK - Danger Money - 8/10 - one of the better UK tracks in typical progrock stylings from Wetton/Jobson
17. Block Rocking Beats - Chemical Brothers - Compilation - 6/10 - heavy repetitive dance beat, groovy
18. Sweet Jane - Lou Reed - Retro - 7/10 - mangled grindy dirty rock n roll, love it.
19. I Feel Free - Cream - Best Of - 9/10 - heavy blues rock from the masters
20. I Can Make You A Man - Rocky Horror Picture Show - s/t - 9/10 - kitsch to the max, high kick it  baby
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 04:45
1. Beyond the stars - Cynosura - 431 - 9/10 - Good start to the exercise. A musical adventure.
2. Witch - Cold - 13 ways to bleed on stage - 7/10 - A little hard rock..
3. Comatose - Depeche Mode - Exciter - 4/10 - Pop / Alternative. A little too simple to my ears at the time of the exercise.
4. Curiosity - Camel - Camel - 8/10. A little almost jazzy spice to the list.
5. Bush - Solutions - Golden State - 7/10. Some more hard rock / Grunge.
6. 2 Hearts - Toto - Kingdom of Desire - 6/10. Always love a little Toto. Not the best track from the album.
7. Joanni - Kate Bush - Aerial - 7/10. Pleasant slice of Kate Bush weirdness.
8. Looking for Fantasy - Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon - 8/10. Pleasant Hackett fare.
9. Cotton Camp - Camel - Dust and Dreams - 10/10. Soaring lead guitar. Dramatic music. Very under rated Camel album.
10. My Last Farewell - Dream Theater - The Astonishing - 10/10. Brilliant from a brilliant album which frankly shocks me as to the ratings and reception here on PA. I''ll save my rants regarding that for another day.
11. Face your Fear - Tony Iommi - Fused - 7/10. One of the best rock vocalists of all time (Glen Hughes).
12. Batteries not Included - Jethro Tull -  A - 7/10. Nothing like a bit of Tull to spice up a playlist.
13. Lie - Dream Theater - Bergum - 8/10. Dream Theater ear blistering.
14. Waiting in the Weeds - The Eagles - Long Road out of Eden - 10/10. I love this band.
15. Rediscovery part 2 - Symphony X - The New Mythology Suite - 10/10. Dramatic and hard.
16. I Got a Name - Jim Croce - Platinum Collection - 7/10. Classic.
17. Leopards - Big Big Train - English Electric Full Power - 10/10. A breath of fresh air and english countryside.
18. This Final Resting Place - Anubis - A Tower of Silence - 10/10. Simply Brilliant album.
19. Rubber Universe - The Alan Parson's Project - The Time Machine - 8/10. Nice bright instrumental.
20. Byzantium - Kansas - Somewhere to Elsewhere - 7/10. Instantly recognizable Kansas sound but not their best track.

I have an extreme amount of music and this was a fun exercise as it got me to listen to some tracks that I no longer really play.

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 11:52
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

1. Beyond the stars - Cynosura - 431 - 9/10 - Good start to the exercise. A musical adventure.
3. Comatose - Depeche Mode - Exciter - 4/10 - Pop / Alternative. A little too simple to my ears at the time of the exercise.
6. 2 Hearts - Toto - Kingdom of Desire - 6/10. Always love a little Toto. Not the best track from the album.
8. Looking for Fantasy - Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon - 8/10. Pleasant Hackett fare.
9. Cotton Camp - Camel - Dust and Dreams - 10/10. Soaring lead guitar. Dramatic music. Very under rated Camel album.
10. My Last Farewell - Dream Theater - The Astonishing - 10/10. Brilliant from a brilliant album which frankly shocks me as to the ratings and reception here on PA. I''ll save my rants regarding that for another day.
11. Face your Fear - Tony Iommi - Fused - 7/10. One of the best rock vocalists of all time (Glen Hughes).
12. Batteries not Included - Jethro Tull -  A - 7/10. Nothing like a bit of Tull to spice up a playlist.
14. Waiting in the Weeds - The Eagles - Long Road out of Eden - 10/10. I love this band.
15. Rediscovery part 2 - Symphony X - The New Mythology Suite - 10/10. Dramatic and hard.
17. Leopards - Big Big Train - English Electric Full Power - 10/10. A breath of fresh air and english countryside.
18. This Final Resting Place - Anubis - A Tower of Silence - 10/10. Simply Brilliant album.
19. Rubber Universe - The Alan Parson's Project - The Time Machine - 8/10. Nice bright instrumental.
20. Byzantium - Kansas - Somewhere to Elsewhere - 7/10. Instantly recognizable Kansas sound but not their best track.

I have an extreme amount of music and this was a fun exercise as it got me to listen to some tracks that I no longer really play.

I likes your list! Anubis is on my get list, but haven't heard it yet.

As to your last comment, Yep, that's part of the point of doing this: dust off some of those old tracks in the dark corners of your digital world, remind yourself of what you have, and perhaps renew some listening to music that you may not be otherwise inclined to pull out.
Z
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:05
1. Diamond Jack - Wishbone Ash (Front Page News): 8.5/10 An album that I don't rate as one of their best, but this closing track is pretty good.
2. Another Life - Mostly Autumn (Passengers): 7/10 Nice vocal from Heather Findlay and a lovely solo from Bryan Josh
3. The Way Of Love - Neal Morse (Songs From November): 6/10 The closing track of a really good album of pop (not prog) songs - unfortunately probably the weakest song on the album.
4. God's Theme - Neal Morse (Testimony): 8/10 Nice instrumental which was reprised on his Testimony 2 album
5. Misled - Quireboys (A Bit Of What You Fancy): 6/10 Not one of the better songs on the album
6. Calling Home - Flower Kings (Flower Power): 4/10 Sorry, again not one of the better tracks
7. High Water Everywhere - Joe Bonamassa (Live From Nowhere In Particular): 4/10 Again, not really my cup of tea
8. On A Perfect Day - Spock's Beard (The First 20 Years): 9/10 I really like this one, even though I prefer the Morse era Beard
9. Vital Asset - Ted Turner (Eclektic Value): 6.5/10 OK, not the best track on the album
10. Numbers - Flower Kings (Banks Of Eden): 8/10 A pretty good epic track, although the rest of the album is better
11. Every Mother's Son - After The Fire (Der Kommisar - The CBS Recordings): 5.5/10 A B Side Bonus track - OK but there are better songs on the CD
12. Front Page News - Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash (New Live Dates Vol 1): 8.5/10 An excellent live version of this song
13. All Of The Above - Transatlantic (Live In Europe): 9.5/10 The track that first got me into Transatlantic, Neal Morse etc. A classic.
14. Dance Of The Marionette - After The Fire (Signs Of Change): 9/10 ATF when they were a prog band rather than their later New Wave period.
15. Won't You Give Him One More Chance - Wishbone Ash (Bare Bones): 4/10 Bare Bones was a great idea - an unplugged album of Wishbone Ash songs - but they made a mistake by including four new songs amongst the classics. This was one of them, and it doesn't do it for me at all
16. After The War - Asia (The Essential Collection): 3/10 Not one of their best
17. In Held Twas In I - Transatlantic (SMPTe): 4.5/10 SMPTe is a great album - to me this is the weakest track
18. Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here): 6.5/10 I prefer Shine On and the title track, but this isn't bad
19. Master Of Disguise - Wishbone Ash (Bare Bones): 8/10 Written by Andy Powell, sung by Martin Turner on the Just Testing album. Here Powell gets to sing it and it sounds really good.
20. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - Asia (The Essential Collection): 8/10 This is one of their better songs
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 15:14
I often like to shuffle, though most of my collection is not on my iPod

1. Nebehr Gudahht - Magma (MDK) Not that great as a stand-alone, and not one of my most listened to Magma albums even though it's the album that got me into them. Vander is shrieky. 6/10

2. Ivanoe - Vortex (bonus track off 1975-1979). Excellent jazzy bonus track, but quite short so 8/10.

3. Aggressione - Bixio/Frizzi/Tempere (Sette Note in Nero). Love this track off the soundtrack; a favourite of mine in my collection (10/10)

4. Catalogo Incompleto - Morricone (alternate version off Cossa Buffo). Love the soundtrack and theme, and I like this fully instrumental version very much. I do love in Morricone soundtracks having variations on the same themes. (8/10). Morricone's my fave for his 60s and 70s works.

5. Wasan - J.A. Caesar (Kokkyo Junreika). Excellent one to come up with. Another particular favourite of mine. Very Japanese, lovely vocals, and an easy 10/10.

6. El blues de la Marisquera - Tundra (EP). Haven't listened to this for ages, but it's fantastic hard blues rock, loses one point for an unnecessary fiddly bit (9/10)

7. Via Nino - Non Credo (Improprera). My favourite Non Credo album, but as a stand alone not so good. Still 8/10.

8. Soleil d'Ork - Magma (again) (Udu Wudu). So groovy. Not an album I listen to much, but do love this track. (9/10)

9. And Magma again... "Iss" Lansei Doia (1001 Degress Centigrade). 10/10 for sure. This is the track that got me into Magma and it still may be my favourite thing they've releqased. It's so joyous and delightfully jazzy. I think Magma was a their best with the first two albums.

10. Ennio Morricone again (I do have more music by him than anyone else on my iPod, with Magma coming second). Eclipsi Seconde (Controfase). It's experimental academic music. (7/10)

11. Ennio Morricone again - La terra vista della Luna (La Streghe). Beautiful, but too short in this one (7/10)

12. And Morricone again... Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura 3 (Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura). Pretty awesome jazz fusion, similar to some Hancock (9/10)

13. Karai Mo Me - Geinoh Yamashirogumi (Chi no Hibiki...) Beautiful choral vocals. I tend not to play this classical type album as much as some others by GY, but I do love it (10/10).

14. Witch's Song, I am Your Pussy - Gong (Flying Teapot) Great fun (10/10)

15. James' Big Bang Party - Paul Piot & Paul Giot (Blow Up Presents...) Fun track froma compilation album with a big band sound (7/10)

16. Duke and Trane - Heikki Sarmanto (New Hope Jazz Mass). Excellent churchy choral jazz piece with middle eastern qualities (10/10)

17. Ice - Hush (Extradition). Not my absolute favourite off this acid folk album, but still very lovely. Very religious qualities. Been too long since I last listened to it (7/10)

18. The Journey - Perry Leopold (Christian Lucifer). Wow, 12/10. I adore this album and I love this track. It's one of my favourite songs.

19. Qivem Vrastorr - Koenjihayakkei (Angherr Shisspa). This album I haven't listened to for years, it's justa bit crazy for now, though it was my favourite album for a while. Nether-the-less, this is a great Magma-ish track (9/10)

20. The Price is Too High - Franco Micalizzi (Napoli Violenta). Good soundtrack music (7/10)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justin4950834-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 15:32
I enjoyed that, I can't resist to do another one.

3 Legs - Paul McCartney (Ram)  8/10 - Good warm up song, probably would have been a higher rating in the past.

Goin' Through The Motions - Blue Oyster Cult (Spectres)  8.5/10 - Another good and catchy simple song, that again... was mo better when I first heard it.

Sarabande From Violin Sonata In B Minor - Al Di Meola (Land Of The Midnight Sun)  6.5/10 - Too short, wasn't able to catch my attention in this moment in time.

Not One Of Us - Peter Gabriel (3)  8.5/10 - Very good, Cool sound effects and production, but still one of the weaker songs off this bloody masterpiece.

Turn It On Again - Genesis (Duke)  7.5/10 - Not bad, they haven't yet abandoned their earlier progressive elements.

Black Dog - Babe Ruth (First Base)  9.5/10 - Here we go, now its getting interesting. Great vocals, great guitar work, amazing piano solo!!, its the lesser known but better Black Dog.

Deep Distance - Ashra (New Age Of Earth)  8/10 - A little on the corny side, but I still got sucked into its soothing sound.

A Clearing - Brian Eno (Ambient 4 On Land)  7.5/10 - Its pretty good, a lot of pieces similar to it.

Knots - Gentle Giant (Octopus)  10/10 - A masterpiece on every level. I could never get sick of listening to this, its just way too freaking surreal.

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin (IV)  10/10 - What a coincidence, and I promise this wasn't planned. I guess I change mind this Black Dog is better, and for some reason I was able to get really into it, even know Ive heard it 1000 times.

Wild Tyme - Jefferson Airplane (After Bathing At Baxters) 7/10 - I was actually able to get into this free spirited, hippy dippy song.

Lie To Me - David Byrne (Rei Momo) 6.5/10 - I got a little sick of the Latin rhythms towards the end. 

Fur Luise - Cluster & Eno (Cluster & Eno) 9/10 - Its like an ocean of lush synth with wave after wave of pure joyfulness bliss crashing down on you.

Queen Of The Highway - The Doors (Morrison Hotel) 6.5/10 - captures your attention then looses it.

Mother Knows Best - Richard Thompson (Rumor & Sigh) 7/10 - good lyrics and good guitar work that heightens the energy, not exactly my cup of tea though.

Song Of The Viking - Todd Rundgren (Something, Anything?) 8.5/10 - Quirky and a nice melody with some unexpected twists.

Cirkus - King Crimson (Lizard) 10/10 - F@#king Incredible, an endless collage of other worldly textured sounds clashing against each other. Perfect.

Sad Song - David Byrne (David Byrne) 7/10 - More David Byrne, I guess I lean more towards The Talking Heads.

Forgiving - Jakko M. Jakszyk (The Bruised Romantic Glee Club) 7/10 - Nice Cello and strings. Soothing but lost my attention.

Since You Been Gone - Rainbow (Down To Earth) 5/10 - I really did not want to end with this. What are gonna do, except skip the song... which I did. Ill admit I did like that key change towards the end.

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 15:50
My second effort (well, if A Flower can do it....)

1. Why Don't We - Martin Turner and Friends (The Garden Party): 9/10 Ted Turner sings his own composition. Recorded at a live gig at which I was present. One of the best Wishbone Ash songs from the 1980s.
2. Entrance - Neal Morse (?): 9.5/10 My joint favourite Neal Morse album. This song has very powerful lyrics
3. Johnny Left Home Without It - Wishbone Ash (Nouveau Calls): 7/10 Very 1980s influenced instrumental
4. Changing Tracks - Wishbone Ash (Bona Fide) 8/10: This shuffle seems very biased towards Wishbone Ash so far! This song rocks!
5. Wind At My Back - Spock's Beard (The First 20 Years): 9.5/10 Only Neal Morse could write a worship song without mentioning God
6. Stranger In Your Soul - Transatlantic (Live In Europe): 7.5/10 Described as "the epic to end all epics." I won't disagree
7. The Storm Before The Calm - Neal Morse (Testimony): 6.5/10 When is this shuffle going to get beyond Wishbone Ash and Neal Morse's various bands?
8. My New World - Transatlantic (SMPTe): 8/10 Not yet!! Great song though.
9. Maggie May - Rod Stewart (Back To The Seventies): 8/10 At last! A classic song.
10 Evergreen - Mostly Autumn (Catch The Spirit): 9/10 One of the first Mostly Autumn songs I heard. A beautiful song.
11. Fritha - Camel (A Live Record): 8/10 Short but lovely
12. She Is Everything - Spock's Beard (The First 20 Years): 7/10 Coming straight after Camel, this sounds quite similar to their style.
13. Nowhere To Hide - Mostly Autumn (Catch The Spirit): 7/10 One of the better MA songs where Bryan Josh takes the lead vocal
14. Outward Bound - Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash (New Live Dates Vol 1): 8/10 Excellent twin guitar instrumental
15. Silver Glass - Mostly Autumn (Heart Full Of Sky): 8.5/10 Beautiful
16. Hocus Pocus - Focus (The Best Of Focus): 8/10 Love it!
17. The King Will Come - Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash (Live bootleg recording): 8/10 This is from a performance at the Acoustic Festival Of Britain in 2011. Doing an acoustic version of this song was a tall order, but they pulled it off.
18. Almighty Blues - Wishbone Ash (Bona Fide): 7/10 I prefer Wishbone Ash with Martin Turner on vocals, rather than Andy Powell, but having said that, Bona Fide is a pretty good album and the two tracks that this shuffle has pulled up are both excellent.
19. Ancient Remedy - Wishbone Ash (Bona Fide): 7.5/10 Make that three tracks!
20. Day For Night - Spock's Beard (The First 20 Years): 7/10 OK, one of the weaker tracks on the first CD of this compilation.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 15:58
I'll try to get the format right this time...

Los Campesinos Y El Viajero - Arco Iris (Sudamérica O El Regreso A La Aurora): There’s some awesome prog on this record, but this a nice sunny bit of Argentinian folk pop.  2:18 of lovely vocal harmonies, good way to kick off.  7/10

Countermeasures - Gregg Bendian’s Interzone (Interzone): Vibes led free jazz-rock, but proggy with it. This one has a good groove and Gregg builds up a head of steam on the vibes, plus swinging arco double bass solo.  Nice, I should listen to this more often. 7/10

Earth Song - Sam Rivers (Crystals): Storming big band avant-jazz. Genius! 9/10

Dominoes / Celebration for the Gray Days - Ghost (Hypnotic Underworld): That’s the Japanese Ghost. Drifting psych ballad – not doing it for me. 4/10. Skip.

I Did Not - Ghost Rhythms (Madeleine): From Ghost to Ghost Rhythms, some randomiser! This is great though, one of my favourite tracks by GR. Combining a limpid piano with growling guitar for an intro section that I’m semi-sure has a melody copped from a John Lewis third stream album. The melody recurs through the quite varied segments of the piece in different voicings. Killer sax work too. 9/10

Two Words Ruder - Prescott (One Did): I think this is considered avant-prog at PA, but I’m not sure what it is really. Superb rubbery bass playing, lurching ryhtms, off-kilter melody.  If Thelonius Monk had an indie band…unique stuff.  8/10

Merak - Tape (Casino): Typically lovely bit of post-prog from the Tape boys. Organ, shimmering harmonium and subdued guitar diffidently combine to create a contemplative mood. 8/10

Dunaj - Reve General (Howl): Ominous violins vs. cellos riffage.  7/10

Part E - Charles Gayle (Touchin’ On Trane): A fairly quiet moment from an absolutely raging free jazz album. 7/10

Les Diapos - Philippe Besombes (Libra): Two minutes of spooky organ stabs and piano string abuse, occasional ghostly phased vocals. Freaky.  5/10

Blue Rondo - Jackie McLean (One Step Beyond): Fairly straight ahead jazz. Great vibes work from Bobby Hutcherson. 7/10

Halo - Vespero (Droga):  Bit of a feature for their excellent synth player this one.  And typically busy drumming from Ivan Fedotov keeping everything cooking. 8/10

Terre 2 - Xing Sa (Création De L'univers): Low key Zeuhl. This album works more as a whole, but individually it’s still a nice enough track. 6/10

Hmmm, time to go and watch TV with the wife it seems.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 16 2016 at 16:03
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 17:37
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

I likes your list! Anubis is on my get list, but haven't heard it yet.

As to your last comment, Yep, that's part of the point of doing this: dust off some of those old tracks in the dark corners of your digital world, remind yourself of what you have, and perhaps renew some listening to music that you may not be otherwise inclined to pull out.

Thanks Bill. A Tower of Silence by Anubis is the one to get from them - stunning album.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 00:08
Ready for round 3!

Presto Vivence and Reprise - U.K (U.K) - 6.25/10 Pretty good ending to the melody, but my favorite part is By the Light of Day

Sheep - Pink Floyd (Animals) - 8.75/10 Really wanted to give it 9, the ending riff just makes me want to jump in the air

Benny the Bouncer - ELP (Brain Salad Surgery) - 4.25/10 Alright song, pretty funny. I like when Lake sings "Oh what a terrible sight" though

Coming Back to Life - Pink Floyd (The Division Bell) - 7/10 You gotta love that cowbell

Inside and Out - Genesis (Spot the Pigeon) - 8/10 Very good Genesis track, really peaceful and underrated

Broken Hearts Are For A******s - Frank Zappa (Sheik Yerbouti) - 5/10 The guitar riff and title are awesome, but the song goes downhill when it gets too bathroom humourish

Sorrow - Pink Floyd (A Momentary Lapse of Reason) - 7.25/10 Progressive, but a bit too depressing. I wonder how much more Floyd were gonna get?

Believe Me Now - ELO (Out of the Blue) - 4/10 Just...one of those songs. But this one is pretty dramatic!

Some Other Time - The Alan Parsons Project (I Robot) - 7/10 Such a cool song! Really powerful!

Larks Tounges in Aspic Part 2 - King Crimson (Larks Tounges in Aspic) - 9/10 Some of Fripp's greatest guitar work as well as Cross's violin

In the Cage - Genesis (The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway) - 9.5/10 Words cannot explain

Electric Guitar - Talking Heads (Fear of Music) - 6.75/10 Funny lyrics and cool sound effects

You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful, and You're Mine - Ringo Starr (Best of) - 3/10 I forgot why I have this song on my ipod

The Superman - David Bowie (The Man Who Sold The World) - 7/10 Such good harmonies and drumming!!!

Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin III) - 7/10 The screaming is great!

The Seeker - The Who (Best of) - 6.5/10 Used to love this, saw them do it live, it was wonderful

First Week/Last Week...Carefree - Talking Heads (Talking Heads: 77) - 8/10 Such a cool tropical atmosphere

Carry That Weight - The Beatles (Abby Road) - 8/10 The most reflective part of the album, really cool reprise of You Never Give Me Your Money

Easy Money - King Crimson (Larks Tounges in Aspic) - 9.25/10 This song is SO creative and weird, with its scary riff and chant at the begining, and then all the messed up improvisations. But at the end, I just love the sinister laughter

Jerusalem - ELP (Brain Salad Surgery) - 6.5/10 Great organ, cool lyrics
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 09:15
Round 2 for me : )
1. Cryin' - Aerosmith - Big Ones - 7/10 - Bluesy Hard Rock. A bit of Tyler howling to start with Smile
2. Paintbox - Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture - 9/10 - Very welcome track in the playlist so far.
3. Trial of Tears - Dream Theater - Falling into Infinity - 10/10 - It doesn't matter what these guys play, I love it - DT define prog metal / hard prog music at its best for me.
4. Never give Up - Royal Hunt - Paper Blood - 6/10 - Straight ahead rock / metal formula. Not bad but doesn't touch the three before it thus far. Comic book stuff.
5. Bobby Brown Goes Down - Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti - 8/10 - Some Zappa warped humor to lighten the proceedings.
6. I - Black Sabbath - The Dio Years - 9/10 - Highly energetic. One of the best vocalists in rock who is sorely missed.
7. The Shadow of Uther - Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy - 7/10 - Keeps the energy flowing.
8. I Believe - Riverside - Out of Myself - 10/10 - Warm and Dark at the same time. Nice track indeed.
9. Here we go Again - Ray Charles - The Very Best of Ray Charles - 7/10 - Huh?? The Computer chose LOL. Still very pleasant soft old blues.
10. Dyers Eve - Metallica - And Justice for All - 4/10 - Comic Book Thrash Metal.Nuke
11. A Nod and a Wink - Camel - A Nod and a Wink - 10/10 - Breath of fresh air after the previous track. I love this track.
12. Deep in the Motherlode - Genesis - And then there were Three - 8/10 - Go West Young Man!!!
13. Miss You in a Heartbeat - Def Leppard - Retro Active - 7/10 - Def Leppard in Ballad mode.
14. The Grand Collapse - Evergrey - Hymns for the Broken - 9/10 - Energizing the proceedings once again.
15. Prima Donna - Uriah Heep - Return to Fantasy - 6/10 - Not Uriah Heep's best. But jazzy fun track.
16. As I sat Sadly by Her Side - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - No More shall We Part - 9/10 - Different but damn good track.
17. That's What I Get - 9 Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine - 7/10 - Strange but interesting.
18. Darkest of Forms - Fright Pig - Out of the Barnyard - 7/10 - Really has to be listened to as part of the album and not separately.
19. Bad Boy - Rush - 12.5.74 Bootleg - 7/10 - Straight ahead rocker from a now iconic band.
20. Stalled Armageddon - Headspace - I am Anonymous - 10/10 - Love this album.

Again proved to be an enjoyable exercise listening to tracks that I would not have necessarily listened to from my collection. The new Big Big Train is taking up the most space relating to my ear time at present.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>