Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shuffle n' Rate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justin4950834-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 21:21
  1. Gigue - Gyan Riley (Stream Of Gratitude) - 8/10 Crazy classical guitar scaling.
  2. Little Rain - Jimmy Reed (Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood) - 6/10 Old blues song that sounds like people are walking around in the background on time.
  3. Come Down In Time - Elton John (Tumbleweed Connection) - 9/10 Great string arrangements.
  4. Takin' Care Of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive (The Best Of) - 6.5/10 So tempted to skip this.
  5. Morecambe Bay - Alex Gifford (Plus From Us) - 8.5/10 Simple songs reveal so much more when you listen to them closely.
  6. Bringing Down The Light - David Sylvian & Robert Fripp (The First Day) - 9.5/10 Makes you stop think.
  7. Miss Amanda Jones - The Rolling Stones (Between The Buttons) - 8/10 Nice fuzz guitar riffs.
  8. Been Alone So Long - Peter Hammill (Nadirs Big Chance) - 10/10 Incredible heart wrenching ballad.
  9. One In A Million - Guns N Roses (GNR Lies) - 8/10 Ive always loved their acoustic sound.
  10. Angelina - Bob Dylan (The Bootleg Series) - 8/10 Nice gospel sound.
  11. Long Promised Road - The Beach Boys (Surfs Up) - 8/10 Good simple pop song
  12. Cities - Talking Heads (Fear Of Music) - 8/10 Good song but wasn't listening closely enough to comment on it.
  13. Busted Down Around O' Connelly Corners - The Doobie Brothers (The Captain And Me) - 7.5/10 Really short but really catchy.
  14. Codona - Codona (Codona) - 9/10 Sparse but connected.
  15. Sarabande G Minor Version - Goran Sollscher (Bach: Works For Lute) - 5/10 Too boring.
  16. These Dreams Of You - Van Morrison (Moondance) - 8.5/10 a lot going on in this tune.
  17. Just Like I Treat You - Howlin Wolf (The Chess Box) - 8/10 Some boogie blues.
  18. Lets Dance - David Bowie (Lets Dance) - 8.5/10 Actually a really good song.
  19. The Great White Buffalo - Ted Nugent (Tooth Fang and Claw) - 8.5/10 Used to freaking love this
  20. Sarve Sham - Ravi Shankar (Chants Of India) - 8.5/10 Any kind of raga is usually better than than the average song.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 19:14
I think I'm getting addicted to doing these!

1. Pigs (Three Different Ones) - Pink Floyd (Animals) - 8.5/10 Great song, remember first hearing it and thinking it was the weirdest song ever! Love how he harmonica solo makes it feel like a psychedelic farm

2. Girl - The Beatles (Rubber Soul) - 7/10 Has some nice harmonies

3. Many Too Many - Genesis (...And Then There Were Three) - 8/10 The guitar riffs are very emotional, really good for a Phil Collins era Genesis song

4. Marooned - Pink Floyd (The Division Bell) - 7/10 Probably one of the best songs from this album

5. Swamp - Talking Heads (Speaking in Tounges) - 7.25/10 Cool track, the live version is really awesome too

6. Can't Get It Out Of My Head - ELO (Eldorado) - 7.5/10 Such a sweet love song. The string section is super powerful

7. A Hard Days Night - The Beatles (1) - 6.5/10 Seems like not too interesting but the guitar solo is pretty good

8. Hello Goodbye - The Beatles (Magical Mystery Tour) - 7/10 Such a fun, happy song, and the vocals are just outstanding!

9. Pure and Easy - The Who (Who's Next Bonus Tracks) - 5.75/10 It's alright. Kind of hoping something better will come on

10. Jungle - ELO (Out Of The Blue) - 7/10 Funny and weird, the strings make it a bit more interesting

11. Inca Roads - Frank Zappa (One Size Fits All) - 9.5/10 Amazing! The guitar solo build up to the amazing harmonies is so cool and then I love the singing at the end when it randomly chants out "Guacamole Queen Guacamole Queen Guacamole Queen"

12. Time - Pink Floyd (The Dark Side of the Moon) - 9/10 Always been a masterpiece in progressive music

13. Down By The Seaside - Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti) - 6.5/10 Great message but just not a perfect song

14. Another Night - Camel (Moonmadness) - 7/10 Intense one, heard some better Camel songs but this is a pretty good one

15. Station to Station - David Bowie (Station to Station) - 9/10 Perfection. I always imagine The Thin White Duke stepping off of a train at the beginning. Then it gets too it's funk section and you feel so joyful

16. Giant - Gentle Giant (Gentle Giant) - 6.75/10 I don't know how to describe this song. It's simple but complex at the same time. It's just sort of a "cute" prog song in a way

17. Siberian Khatru - Yes (Close to the Edge) - 9.75/10 If anyone asks me what prog rock is, I usually just show them this song because it's so quintessential

18. The Needle and the Damage Done - Neil Young (Harvest) - 4/10 A little hard to follow the Yes song, and just sort of depressing

19. Don't Worry About the Government - Talking Heads (Talking Heads:77) - 7.5/10 Such humorous lyrics and great melodies. One of my first favorite songs when I was little too

20. Beltane - Jethro Tull (Songs from the Wood Bonus Track) - 6.75/10 So awesome when you first hear it, but then gets a little boring. However it's gotten a little new fresh for me now!
User Banned for this Post
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 08:40
Small Bump!

1. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song) - Billy Joel (The Stranger) - 8/10 Probably one of my favorite Billy Joel songs for it's somewhat Latin Tropical feel while remaining a New York song

2. Bell Boy - The Who (Quadrophenia) - 8/10 Good memories, love Keith Moon's speaking on it!

3. Cooks Country - The Who (It's Hard) - 6.75/10 Used to love this but looking back there isn't too much to it

4. Cheap Day Return - Jethro Tull (Aqualung) - 7/10 Nice short ballad

5. Don't Stop (Color On the Walls) - Foster the People (Tourches) - 8/10 Yes, this is a pop song that is sort of new, but it's cool and indie rock. I think a lot of these young indie rock bands are slightly prog influenced

6. Lady - Supertramp (Crisis? What Crisis?) - 8.25/10 Fun, upbeat love song! A good example of an underrated Supertramp song

7. The Runaway - Gentle Giant (In a Glass House) - 9/10 Mind blowing opener, epic guitar riff, and stupendous xylophone solo!

8. It's No Game - David Bowie (Scary Monsters) - 8.75/10 What could be better than Bowie singing like he's paranoid while a Japanese woman speaks in the background?

9. A Cry For Everyone - Gentle Giant (Octopus) - 7.75/10 Beautiful song, a lot happening in this one. A good example of a hard rocking Giant track

10. Wreck - Gentle Giant (Acquiring the Taste) - 8/10 More Gentle Giant? Why not? Strangely sea chantish, and I love the symphonic interludes

11. Valedictory - Gentle Giant (The Power and the Glory) - 7/10 ANOTHER ONE? How many more? Pretty good reprise of Proclamation but we need to stop all the Gentle Giant soon

12. Uncertain Smile - The The (Soul Mining) - 7.5/10 Makes me feel nostalgic, one of the first song I purchased back in the 6th grade (and one of the only good ones!)

13. Move On - David Bowie (Lodger) - 8.5/10 Such an amazing song, very dreamy and I love the African like melodies

14. Oh No - Frank Zappa (Weasles Ripped My Flesh) - 8/10 Hilarious, I always picture a drunk rich pompous man singing this

15. Big Brother - David Bowie (Diamond Dogs) - 7/10 Intense track, but it needs to be with Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family to be perfect

16. The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) - The Doors (Best of) - 6.5/10 Pretty good, but not my favorite

17. Lovely to See You - The Moody Blues (On the Threshold of a Dream) - 7.5 Never was a big fan if this album, but this song is starting to grow on me!

18. Get Off of My Cloud - The Rolling Stones (Hot Rocks) - 6/10 *Yawn*

19. Fat Old Sun - Pink Floyd (Atom Heart Mother) - 8.5/10 The guitar solo at the end makes me tear up

20. Infinite Space - ELP (Tarkus) - 7/10 Pretty cool Keith Emerson song, a nice riff at the start
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justin4950834-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:39
  1. Atom Heart Mother Suite - Pink Floyd (Atom Heart Mother) 10/10 Dramatic as F#$k, equivalent to seeing a symphony playing the sh*t out of some straight up snobby Amadeus white wig bull sh*t, while a bunch of insightful, musically inclined hippy's high off god knows what starts wailing around and crashing the party while the guests are choking on their red wine and sausage patties. All the while the symphony says eh... wtf midas well just go with it. meanwhile the music gets more and more intense until the whole god forsaken building explodes into f@*!ing smithereens.
  2. Messenger Of All's Right - Echolyn (I Heard You Listening) 9/10 This is what prog rock should sound like now days.
  3. Hereafter - Dixie Dreggs (Dreggs Of The Earth) 8/10 A big orgy of violins, cellos and strange sounding jazz instruments.
  4. A Girl I Knew - Steppenwolf (Steppenwolf) 8/10 Cool and cocky, and not giving a f*&$k.
  5. (What Did I Do To Be So Black And Blue) Black and Blue - Louis Armstrong (1923-1934) 7/10 You just know Louis was horny as a bulldog when he recorded this song.
  6. Saying To The Land - Far East Family Band (The Cave - Down To Earth) 9.5/10 Like an urban, dreamlike landscape with flocks of birds soaring through the sky and naked japanese people prancing around eating raw fish, sword fighting with sticks and telling stories about their great ancestors who did the same exact f#%@ing thing.
  7. Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - The Kinks (Muswell Hillbillies) 10/10 I don't care who you are, a white middle aged hairy man looking for some long lost love through old beaten down prog or a hip ass black pimp who's got b@%ches left and right and Chris Brown ringing through his ears, this song is bad as f@*$k... like in a good way.
  8. Figue - Gyan Riley (Stream Of Gratitude) 7/10 Some knowledgeable old white bearded professor teaching a pack of dorky looking mamas boys classical guitar, but gets carried away into his own self loathing narcissism.
  9. Transmitter - Daniel Lanois (Shine) 8/10 Authentically uplifting and remorseful in a self pitiful way.
  10. Satin In A Coffin - Modest Mouse (Good News For The People Who Love Bad News) 8.5/10 Uncontrollably rigid and frightening. Would make Tom Waits tilt his head.
  11. Couldn't Get It Right - Climax Blues Band (Gold Plated) 9/10 Makes me wanna take a road trip to six flags and buy a barrel full of that delicious colorful dot ice cream and dump it all over myself.
  12. Predictable - Pete Townsend (Psychoderelict) 3/10 This song is predictable. And it makes me wanna shoot myself.
  13. Back Of A Car - Big Star (Radio City) 9/10 Sounds like a bunch little 10 year olds got together smoked a lot dope and made a bloody masterpiece.
  14.  Not Sorry - The Cranberries (Everybody Else Is Doing It, Why Can't We) 9/10 Elegant. Like a still pond in the middle of a dense forest with a bunch of effing fairies flying around.
  15. White Russian - Marillion (Clutching At The Staws) 7/10 Extremely dated and slightly homo sexual but with a sweet ass guitar solo in the middle that pushes the rest of the pretentious knuckleheads to go further into pretentiousness.
  16. Self Defense - Horslips (The Unfortunate Cup Of Tea) 6.5/10 What happens when a band of Irish lads quit drinking.
  17. Broken Idle - Anthony Moore (World Service) 4/10 bland as sh#t I'd go with Slapp Happy any day.
  18. Stone Cold - Rainbow (The Best Of Rainbow) 7/10This is a good song to listen to while your in the sh#tter wiping your ass.
  19. Afterbirth - Komara (Komara) 7/10 Should be the soundtrack to Planet Of The Apes. That scene in particular when the monkeys are in a big battle ripping arms off of humans and clubbing each other with sticks. Is that in the movie? Maybe not... whatever.
  20. Uncomfortable Cafe - Bill Rieflin (Birth Of A Giant) 7.5/10 Just like the title states. At the front of the Starbucks line the lumberjack with more beard then face orders his raspberry chocolate dipped banana scented caramel swirl extra skimmed milk no whip latte and to the right of you theirs 20 year old hipsters with headphones on as big as them listening to the latest electronic indie hipno crap. To the left theirs the 17 year old highschool kid scrunched down in his chair, laptop half open rapidly scanning the place with his eyes as if he just out ran the F#%&ing FBI. And of course right in front of you is the frowning f my life clerk sputing some  foreign mumbo jumbo that only the upper class local starbuckian flock can comprehend. Can I just get a regular F***ing coffee.

I had too much time on my hands today.

Edited by justin4950834-2 - September 24 2016 at 20:40
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 02:29
There's currently 65 days and 9 hours + of music on my iTunes. A truly strange selection but still with very high personal ratings. Yes, I like my music collection very much:

1. Pauls Dambis: Jūras Dziesmas (Sea Songs): I. Pūti, Pūti, Vēja Māte 10/10 - Long title for a 2 minute + deliciously and sublimely floating choir piece. "Typically" stunning for a modern Balkan (Latvian) composer.

2. Wire: The 15th 10/10 - Lovely tune full of emotion and an almost naive charm. No one quite sings like this anymore. Good example of how these late 70's early 80's post punks were more musically interesting than they are given credit for (among proggers). In short: perfect pop.

3. Franco Micalizzi Sospetto (Titolo Di Testa) 10/10 - Drop dead gorgeous theme song from what is seems to be a spaghetti western. A perfect melody featuring wordless vocals, cembalo, horns and more.

4. Bermuda Jam - Good Trip Lollipop 8/10 - Late 60's occult weirdo psychedelia with a backwards feel. Scary fun, evil laughs, nursery rhymes and organ washes. Freaky!

5. Sepultura - Murder 8/10 - Early thrash/death-metal is always welcome. Although not as wonderfully gloomy as Beneath The Remains, I consider Arise to be Sepulturas last genuine classic album. Murder is perhaps no standout but great, effective metal with enough stuff going on to keep things entertaining throughout. 

6. Yello - Blue Green 9/10 - Oh I love early Yello. And here we have some sort of grand electronic space blues anthem that no one else could get away with. 

7. Damnation of Adam Blessing - Le Voyage 7/10 - Great overlooked early psych rock. This is from the self titled debut in 1969. Nice driving tune with brilliant vocals but you got to hear their early heavy "metal" bangers "Driver" or "Cookbook". They deliver the riffs.

8. Mel Henke - The Lively Ones 7/10 - Silly little misogynistic jazz "poetry" (well, its spoken) short that grooves well in an 1962-lounge or Vegas style. Eventually the ladies backing Mel takes over and steals the show.   

9. The Cure - Close to me 10/10 - More perfect pop. Do I really need to explain this? I'm quite certain its the #7 version because of the catchy little trumpet solo at the end.

10. Anthrax - Deathdrider 8/10 - Not the biggest fan of Anthrax and this speedy gem from their debut featuring ace falsetto screamer Neil Turbin works better for me than most anything released after. Emo dude replacement Joey Belladonna is to blame.   

11. Slayer - Live Undead 9/10 - What more thrash metal? I got atleast 20 times more jazz here why isn't that showing up at all? But South of Heaven sounds even more fantastic now than it did in my teens so I'm not complaining. 

12. Antonio Vivaldi/Zefiro Ensemble - Concerto in Re maggiore per oboe, archi e basso continuo - I. Allegro 7/10 - Vivaldi can be extremely thunderingly violent you know. The power metaller of the Baroque era - but this is just nice and pleasant. The oboe has this quacking-quality that I enjoy. 

13. John Williams - The Long Goodbye (Trumpet Version) 8/10 - More soundtrack music. Faux mexican mariachi easy listening. Kind of kitschy I guess but tastefully done with a memorable, melancholic melody.

14. Ennio Morricone - La Resa Conti 10/10 - Best yet! How to build tension and drama in three minutes lesson 101. All you need is a glockenspiel, strings, a twangy guitar, trumpet, a church organ, a choir, castanets, a kettledrum and your good to go. From "For A Few Dollars More". 

15. Red Nichols & His World Famous Pennies - Bug-A-Boo 8/10 - From: Halloween Stomp, a collection of cozy scary tunes ripped from 78RPM's. Likable grooves and good fun. Moa-ha-ha!

16. Yma Sumac - Jivaro 10/10 - Yma at her most brutal. Dark hypnotizing voodoo spells being cast in your general direction with pounding percussion and out of this world vocals. Plus a bass heavy male choir to match.

17. Umberto - Night Stalking 9/10 - Umberto doing his best Fabio Frizzi/Goblin-impression and arguably outdoes them both! "Can he really be that good?" - you ask. Well, check out Prophecy of the Black Widow (or From the Grave) on bandcamp to find out.

18. Fairuz - El Yom 'Ulliqa 'Ala Khashaba 8/10 - This Lebanese chanteuse almost makes me want to get up and dance most of the time. Almost. This is from some religious mass (she's christian) I think, and a-capella but her voice alone carries more than enough beauty, emotion, space and atmosphere. She's been making beautiful music for 50 years or so by now and this one is no exception.

19. Don Gere - Werewolves on Wheels (end theme) 9/10  - Another OST. Goofy satanism with Amon Düül II-like dark and heavy psych jamming. A devilishly thrilling bluesy riff keeps the tune wandering... towards the gates of hell. 

20. Ennio Morricone - Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura, Pt. 6. 8/10 Again!? Sratching, crawling, ploinky abstract soundscapes by Ennio and his Gruppo d'Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza. Which is probably why it sounds just as much like Egisto Macchi.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 26 2016 at 03:00
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 12:57
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Emo dude replacement Joey Belladonna is to blame.

What's emo about Joey Belladonna? Angry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 13:16
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Emo dude replacement Joey Belladonna is to blame.

What's emo about Joey Belladonna? Angry
Not as in emo the genre. His traditionally based heavy metal kind of emotional - occasionally "beautiful" vocal delivery don't go well with the aggression and speed of Thrash Metal (imo). I prefer more aggressive, spitting or snarling vocals - either that or over the top falsettos (also gangshouts, screams, barks, growls, grunts etc).    

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 14:39
Quote Predictable - Pete Townsend (Psychoderelict) 3/10 This song is predictable. And it makes me wanna shoot myself.

Now I'm very worried about what happens if you come across a 2/10 or even 1/10 song.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 16:50
Round II:

"Losing My Edge" - LCD Soundsystem (12" Single, 2002/LCD Soundsystem, 2005) But I was there! I was there in 1968, there at the first Can show in Cologne. (10/10)

"ULT" - Denzel Curry (Imperial, 2016) Explosive opening cut from a fiery debut mixtape. (10/10)

"At Your Best (You Are Love)" - Frank Ocean (Endless, 2016) Beautiful cover of a soul classic, featuring contributions by James Blake and Jonny Greenwood. (10/10)

"Runway D" - Death Grips (Fashion Week, 2015) Comes from an instrumental only album that mystified the noided back when they were wailing and gnashing their teeth for Jenny Death. It's alright. (6/10)

"0.001% ???" - Kaytranada (0.001%, 2016) Surprise, instrumental focused mixtape coming off his Polaris Prize win for 99.9%. (8/10)

"FACT mix 568" - Mike Patton (2016) Mr. Bungle frontman does a crazed mix featuring soul, worldbeat, Nick Cave, and "America, F**k Yeah". (9/10)

"veil scans" - Tim Hecker (2016 Adult Swim Singles Program) Hecker's contribution to this year's series is a beautiful little drone piece that outdoes his full length from earlier in the year. (8/10)

"Dirt" - Bones (Scumbag, 2012) His breakout track, after it was sampled by a bigger musician. (10/10)

"Viholliseni Maala (In The Land of My Enemy)" - The Brian Jonestown Massacre (Revolution Number Zero, 2013) Catchy cut from a catchy limited edition EP. (10/10)

"The Capsule's Pride (Bikes)" - Bwana (Capsule's Pride, 2016) Promising electronic artist breaks out by remixing the AKIRA soundtrack to amazing effect. (10/10)

"Blessings" - Chance The Rapper (Coloring Book, 2016) Smooth, spiritual minded track with gospel elements. (9/10)

"FACT Mix 554" - The Body (2016) Experimental metal duo surprises by putting together a mix of classic blues recordings. (100/10)

"feed1" - Autechre (elseq 1-5, 2016) Leadoff track for a four hour monolith of rough, raw, noisy IDM. Threw BBC DJs and listeners for a loop. (10/10)

"Sunny Duet" - Noname (Telefone, 2016) One of this debut mixtape's many cool, calm, sunny cuts. Refreshing. (10/10)

"Blood" - Algiers (Algiers, 2015) Key track on a fierce, soul and gospel infused, sociopolitical minded debut. (10/10)

"Period Piece" -Jenny Hval (2016 Adult Swim Singles Program/Blood B*tch, 2016) Dark, yet ethereal, yet gothic, yet peaceful. Perfection. (10/10)

"We Are The Music Makers" - Aphex Twin (Selected Ambient Works '85-'92, 1992) RIP Gene Wilder. (9/10)
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 21:33
Not in this lifetime, its too shortSmile
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 01:08
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Not in this lifetime, its too shortSmile
When life gets too stressful this is what I do instead of meditating: rating 20 random songs at PA. Real relaxation.

1. The Palm Court Theatre Orchestra - The Sheik Of Araby 8/10 - Shuffle has seemingly decided to go full weirdo (or is it me?). Bonus prog-related fun fact: Julverne covered this 1921-ditty on Emballade (Le Sheik)

2. Eartha Kitt - Mink Shmink 9/10 - money schmoney... what better than to follow up Le Sheik than a tounge in cheek sensual song by "the most exciting woman on earth" - according to Orson Welles?  

3. Ahmad Jamal - Squeeze Me 7/10 Finally! Jazz! And just about the coziest "friends or family over for dinner" kind of tafel-jazz I can think of. -Play like Jamal... Miles Davis used to tell his pianists. As Ahmed pioneered a use of space and coloring of harmonies rather unique in the late 50's. 

4. Frantz Casséus and Lolita Cuevas - Little Bird 7/10 - An Hawaiian folksong recorded in 1953 and sung beautifully in creole. I don't have a heart of stone so I like it very much.

5. House Guests - My Mind is Set Free 4/10 - Slightly annoying soul/funk that lacks soul. But it has a great beat and bassline - which must be why I've decided to keep it. Until today that is.    

6. Bennie Maupin - Excursion 8/10 - Within the album context it's surely a 10/10 but not right now. The most out there and abstract tune on Bennies Mwandishi-styled debut and Saperlipopette!-favorite: The Jewel in the Lotus.

7. Marcello Giombino - Procession In Lhasa (Tibet) - 9/10 I'm sure you've all heard this Library-album: Mondial Folk Synthesizer III countless times already but in case you haven't, this sounds exactly like a golden oldie by The Residents. And I can never get enough of that.

8. Ennio Morricone - Faccia a Faccia (titoli) 7/10 - With a touch of genius as always but a little too overblown and epic for listening at home. Like watching Lawrence of Arabia on your iPhone.

9.  Ennio Morricone - Indagine su un Cittadino al di Sopra di Ogni Sospetto 10/10 - Out of 22 906 songs!! What are the odds? I have quite a lot of Morricone though. And this is soundtrack music done so magnificently it can be used to describe practically any motion you like. Or unlike 99% of scores composed over the last 30 years or so, you can just listen and enjoy the music.

10. Capelli Dritti - I Recidivi 1/10 Absolutely atrocious chipmunks-rock from an 7" Collection of italian New Wave that I haven't had time to listen all the way through yet. Go away! 

11. Gérard Manset - Long Long Chemin 6/10 - An ok+ song sung in french. I quite like the moody mood throughout but Gérard has plenty more memorable stuff in his discography.  

12. Eric Framond (aka Camille Sauvage) - Anticpation 6/10 - Competent french Library-jazz with slightly hysterical, wordless mezzo-soprano vocals on top. Not in that mood today it seems - or about 358 days of the year. But for that remaining week no other music will do.

13. Arthur Blythe - Down San Diego Way 6.5/10 This album opener: a cheery and joyful jazz-fiesta with a carnival feel that truly works along with the rest of "Lenox Avenue Breakdown" - but not as much on its own.

14. Fred Astaire - Cheek to Cheek (Top Hat) 8/10 - What can I say: I was born an old and grumpy man AND THIS IS REAL MUSIC! Anyway I always thought you could hear just by listening to their voices that while Frank Sinatra must have been an a****le Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby were both nice and warmhearted men. 

15. Pharoah Sanders - Colors 6/10 - The five and a half minutes after The Creator Has A Master Plan that ends Karma. Completely overshadowed by that beautiful monster epic and deservedly so. Nice to get some more of Leon Thomas but I've never really payed much attention to it - its just there.

16. Miles Davis - Yaphet 10/10 - Thank you shuffle! Recorded in late 1969 but not released until Big Fun was reissued as a double CD 30 years later. Containing enough bonus tracks for a whole album with Yaphet being aong them. One of Miles few takes on "world jazz" featuring tamboura, sitar, tabla, berimbau... its a real trip. Or Bitches Brew on a trip to India. 

17. Arachnoid - Le Chamaderè 8/10 - The 37th random choice from the shuffle-selection brings us to the first full blooded slice of progressive rock. It doesn't really get going until the voice of a child interrupts the vocalist four minutes or so into this 14 minute long medium-sized epic. But from there on its a tour the force of gloomy horror-prog the way only late 70's french ensembles heavily inspired by 1973-74 King Crimson-era can do it. 

18. Enrico Rava - Closer 9/10 - Infectious european freejazz from the italian HORO records legendary "Jazz Confronto"-series. European, but the american guy on double bass: Calvin Hill almost steals the show. Free but not without groove. Which is the way I like it.

19. Bolt Thrower - The Killchain 8/10 - Poor, poor all you progfellas that are unable to enjoy a perfect death metal growl. With riffs other bands would sell their mother, left testicle or soul for, this is still merely another fine album track for Bolt Thrower. 

20. Art Zoyd - Génération Sans Futur 10/10 - This almost makes me cry. I can die a happy man now. Last shuffle I'll do here and I get the ultimate RIO-track by the ultimate RIO-band from their ultimate RIO-album. A perfect symbyosis of beauty and aggression, its jazz, its Bartok and it rocks (if you're a rocker at heart you'll disagree + hate it)! 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 26 2016 at 03:05
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 12:49
Hey, great that people have revived this thread again. I was going to post another for the Fall, but might as well just keep this one going.

I'm itching to get another random list in myself, probably soon.

Z
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 12:55
really cool stuff guys.. keep 'em coming.  Sorry to say I don't have an ipod.. even a goddamned smart phone to participate.  All my music is in my head and don't need portable music devices I guess... something is always playing in my head.

that said... looks like a lot of fun and enjoyed reading the posts. Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 06:37
Here we go!

1. Yellow Submarine - The Beatles (Revolver) - 7/10 Still good after all these years

2. Here is the News - Electric Light Orchestra (Time) - 8/10 Such a cool song! Love all the newscasts spoken in the background

3. Power to the People - John Lennon (The Best of John Lennon) - 6.5/10 Very nice song with a good message, but not an all time favorite

4. My Eyes Have Seen You - The Doors (Strange Days) - 7.5/10 A weird one, I find it creepy in a good way

5. The Overload - Talking Heads (Remain in Light) - 4/10 One of the only Talking Heads songs I never really liked. Just i slow and brings you down after such an awesome album

6. Sexy Sadie - The Beatles (White Album) - 7.25/10 Just the fact that this is about the Mahavishu Yogi makes me crack up every time!

7. Glass Arm Shattering - Porcupine Tree (Deadwing) - 9/10 Gorgeous conclusion. I almost cry when the sha-la-la-las come on

8. Flying - The Beatles (Magical Mystery Tour) - 5/10 Feel bad for this one following the PT track

9. Dream On - Areosmith (Best of) - 8/10 Sure it's a little overplayed, but it's still awesome!

10. I'm Looking Through You - The Beatles (Rubber Soul) - 7/10 Yet another Beatles song! This was a favorite of mine when I was younger

11. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight - R.E.M (Automatic For the People) - 8/10 I don't know what it is about this one, but O really like it!

12. Penny Lane - The Beatles (Magical Mystery Tour) - 7.75/10 How many more Beatles songs? This is a very nice one

13. Magdalene (My Regal Zonophone) - Procol Harum (Shine on Brightly) - 7.25/10 A nice little march like ballad

14. Behind the Lines - Genesis (Duke) - 6.5/10 Good song but best when the whole Duke Medley is played together

15. Let's Make the Water Turn Black - Frank Zappa (WOITFTM) - 7.5/10 Very funny and random song to have on shuffle

16. Time For a Change - Split Enz (Mental Notes) - 8/10 The ending is amazing!

17. Survival - Yes (Yes) - 7/10 I like when it calms down and Jon Anderson sings

18. Up to Me (Jethro Tull) - 8/10 A fun Tull song, the flute medleys are great as usual

19. Miracles Out of Nowhere - Kansas (Leftoverture) - 8.25/10 Really amazing when the build up comes in. All the medleys build up on each other. And the ending is great too!

20. Pibroch (Cap in Hand) - Jethro Tull (Songs From the Wood) - 8/10 Forgot about this dark Tull song. Very heavy for an Ian Anderson song
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 07:00
Not quite certain why I feel the need to comment on these, but

Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

Yours Truely, 2095 - ELO (Time) - 5/10 Don't know why I used to love this song...it's kind of annoying. But I love the bridge when he goes "Is that what you want?"
a perfect 10 from me. Silliest lyrics ever but written (infact so silly it borders on genius) but an extremely infectious synth-pop tune. Should had been no. 1 in the charts (and released as a single)

Roll Over Beethoven - ELO (ELO II) - 9/10 Quick story to tell about this one. I was shuffling my ipod on a bus and my friend (who was a girl) decided to join me in what I was listening to. For a few songs we had some normal Talking Heads and Beatles. But then this came on. She immediately said, "What? This song just changed from a classical song to a 60s rock song, what is this!?" Shortly after, she took her headphone out and stopped listening to my music with me. Not surprised. Anyway, I love how they put so many new melodies in this one! So awesome!
I'll side with your friend (who was a girl) 2/10 Baroque 'n Roll is a generally a horrid concept (although Beethoven is Romantic era)

2. Here is the News - Electric Light Orchestra (Time) - 8/10 Such a cool song! Love all the newscasts spoken in the background
In almost full agreement here: 10/10 again Time is better than the Beatles - almost ABBA-level pop-perfection. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 13:22
1) Anyone's Daughter - Adonis III (Requested Document Live Vol. 1) 9.5/10
Great very dynamic melodic prog; the live version is wilder and less civilised as live versions should be, phantastic guitar
2) Tarwater - Euroslut (116 1210) 6/10
Slow, haunting and atmospheric, somewhat monotonous and too long for its substance
3) The Swell Season - The Auld Triangle; live version (Strict Joy) 4/10
Great at the end of a live show enjoyed with somebody special, not so convincing at home in the shuffle
4) Men at Work - Catch a Star (Business as Usual) 9/10
Very relaxed charming song with reggae elements; the band started with a handfull of great songs like this which made me hope for more than what we eventually got from them
5) Holger Czukay and U-She - Transmigration (Time and Tide) 7.5/10
Good enjoyable though not very memorable sound alchemy with U-She's voice working well here
6) Fred Frith - Troja Suite: The Wedding, Catwalk Remix (Ear to Ear 3) 7/10
More sound experimentation based on a more memorable repetitive motif but with less variety than Czukay & U-She
7) Solarference - Prickle Holly Bush (Jeckyll and Hyde Soundtrack Live) 7.5/10
Nice folk song with strong vocal duet and the duo's trademark weird electronic accompaniment
8) Doctor Nerve - Out to Bomb Fresh Kings (Every Screaming Ear) 5/10
Glorious noisy jazz punk, very short and I'm not in the right mood today
9) Zero 7 - Polaris (Simple Things) 8/10
Relaxed trip hop works better for me today; probably Zero 7's best
10) Helge Schneider - Wundervolle Welt (Guten Tach!) 8/10
German comedy cover of "What a wonderful world"; probably only Germans find this funny, but I definitely do
11) Serge Blenner - L'ile de joie (Equateur) 7.5/10
Accessible but intelligent melodic electronic music
12) Novalis - Kein Frieden (Neumond) 8/10
Not proggy but a very well done anti military rock song from the eighties
13) Geisterfahrer - Frisch an der Angel (1979-89) 6.5/10
Straight and dark leftfield German post punk band; good song but mix, sound and voice could be better
14) No Doubt - Different People (Tragic Kingdom) 6.5/10
Commercial rock with good sophisticated songwriting and very strong singer; this patchwork song has strong parts but is overall not my favourite of them
15) Swans - The Apostate (Seer) 9.5/10
One of these unstoppable volcano eruptions by Swans with quite some build up, wild and powerful
16) Wolfgang Schubert - The Traveller (Messin' With The Buttons) 6.5/10
"Drum and Bass" electronic music from Switzerland, good to hear but not all too exciting
17) Halma - Folden Fog (Broad Peak) 7.5/10
More Germans, they're ubiquitous in today's mix; very calm and soothing instrumental post rock this time
18) Shudder to Think - Full Body Anchor (Pony Express Record) 7/10
Great sophisticated independent rock band with experimental elements with an atypical and short acoustic piece here
19) Miles Davis - Tutu (Tutu) 7.5/10
Certainly not his most loved work but this song has a certain sticky addictive quality and I don't mind 80s sound as much as many others; love the trumpet anyway
20) Bill Bruford's Earthworks - The Wooden Man Sings, and the Stone Woman Dances (Foot Loose and Fancy Free) 8/10
Instead of Miles now Bill goes fully jazzy and he and his band do it very well. There's more composition and twists and turns here than in much improvised jazz though, which I like
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 06:33
1. Somebody to Love - Queen (Best of) - 6.5/10 Oh no not again. Well still a pretty love song

2. Just Another Nervous Wreck - Supertramp (Breakfast in America) - 7.25/10 Love this album, underrated for prog but popular in pop

3. Heart of the Sunrise - Yes (Fragile) - 9.5/10 Outstanding prog masterpiece. Rick Wakeman is a genius here and the song never fails to bring goosebumps

4. Moonchild - King Crimson (In the Court of the Crimson King) - 7.5/10 First of all, I love the intro. The improvisations are kind hard to listen to at times and sticks out too much on the album, but they do a good job

5. A Song For Jeffery - Jethro Tull (This Was) - 8/10 The best Tull is early Tull!

6. Something Happened to Me Yesterday - The Rolling Stones (Between the Buttons) - 6/10 It depends in my mood. Sometimes I hate this, other times I can laugh along with it

7. Octopus's Garden - The Beatles (Abbey Road) - 5.5/10 Not today...

8. Hang Fire - The Rolling Stones (Best of) - 7/10 Always liked this one, like the lyrics

9. Fixing a Hole - The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper) - 7.75/10 Pretty cool song, always makes me smile

10. Secret Messages - ELO (Best of) - 7/10 I like the progressive and the song isn't so bad. What do you think Saper?

11. A Passion Play (Part 2) - Jethro Tull (A Passion Play) - 9.25/10 "The Hare Has Lost His Specticles!"

12. Old Ghosts - Jethro Tull (Stormwatch) - 8.5/10 This song is so cool! It really embodies the prog in Tull

13. D.J - David Bowie (Lodger) - 8/10 Why doesn't anyone like Lodger? It's just as good as Low and Heroes!

14. Wild Honey Pie - The Beatles (White Album) - 6.75/10 I don't care how short it is, it's a fun song

15. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers - Van Der Graaf Generator - 9.5/19 The Supper's Ready of the sea. The dark side of Close to the Edge. This was ahead of its time for sure

16. Slippery People - Talking Heads (Speaking in Tongues) - 6.5/10 Love when the synths come in

17. First Week/Last Week...Carefree - Talking Heads (Talking Heads: 77) - 7.75/10 A great tropical atmosphere!

18. Journey From Mariabronn - Kansas (Kansas) - 8.75/10 This song is so crazy! It's awesome! I especially love the over the top ending!

19. The Witch's Promise - Jethro Tull (Benefit) - 9/10 You can never have too much Tull!

20. Firth of Fifth - Genesis (Selling Englad by the Pound) - 9.75/10 Second greatest song ever. Tony Banks beats both Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. This song has gotten me through so much...
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColonelClaypool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 05:51
I rarely play shuffle as I prefer listening to an album in its entirety, but this was fun.

1. Gong – Pinkle Ponkle. 8/10. Gets lost a little when listening to it as part of the full album, but on it's own like this it's a different kind of beast. Groovy.

2. Beck – Brother. 4/10. I had forgotten I had this. Quite uninteresting.

3. Devin TownsendOmnidimensional Creator. 5/10. Just a short dialogue segment from the Ziltoid album. No actual music.

4. Porcupine TreePhase III. 7.5/10. I quite like Voyage 34 as an album.

5. EgyptStalker. 7/10. Doom, baby, doom!

6. No-manLighthouse. 6.5/10. Pleasant, but not very exciting.

7. RushThe Stars Look Down. 7/10. Good, but not one of their best.

8. Porcupine Tree – Fuse The Sky. 8/10. Part of The Sky Moves Sideways, Phase 1. The best PT album, in my opinion. Needs the rest of the track for an even higher grade.

9. QueenFather To Son. 8.5/10. One of the best tracks from one of the best Queen albums.

10. SoundgardenFull On (reprise). 6.5/10. Kevin's mom.

11. Tangerine DreamThe Kitchen/Unicorn Theme Reprise. 6.5/10. Some years ago, I got a lot of TD from a friend. Never really listened much to it.

12. Porcupine TreeWaiting Phase One. 8/10. Another Chris Maitland-era PT track, which is my favoured period.

13. Gentle GiantThe Queen. 5.5/10. Well, it's the UK's national anthem and seeing as how I'm not British I don't find it all that interesting.

14. ELPI Believe In Father Christmas. 7/10. A very proggy Christmas?

15. Led ZeppelinCommunication Breakdown (Live BBC Sessions, Tasty Pop Sundae version.) 9/10. It's Zeppelin. It's a live track. What's not to like?

16. MastodonBedazzled Fingernails. 7.5/10.

17. Jethro TullSweet Dream. 7/10.

18. MastodonHalloween. 8/10. Brann Dailor does what he does best, drumming like a madman.

19. Monster MagnetTemple of Your Dreams. 10/10. The coolest band on the face of the planet, and this is quite possibly my favourite song by them.

20. Brimstone Solar Radiation BandLet The Sun In (It's Not Gonna Last). 7.5/10. Hometown heroes from Bergen. Pretty decent psychedelica.

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 17:11
1. Freewill - Rush (Permanent Waves) - 8/10 Killer track. Gotta love Geddy's yelling about civil rights

2. Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadows? - Rolling Stones (Flowers) - 7.5/10 Love the wildness of this while it still remains vintage

3. John, I'm Only Dancing - David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) - 7.5/10 Classic

4. Love Me Do - The Beatles (1) - 7.25/10 Really more in the mood for prog right now but haven't heard this one in a long time

5. Hard Days Night - The Beatles (1) - 7.75 What did I just say about classic rock?

6. Something in the Way - Nirvana (Unplugged in New York) - 8.5/10 The cello is so awesome. This song is just so ominous but still gets to you

7. California Girls - The Beach Boys (Best of) - 7/10 At first I thought "Oh god no" but then getting into it, this is probably one of the few BB songs I can stand

8. Lucky Man - ELP (ELP) - 8/10 Very pretty song. I always think of the Simpsons episode where Homer sings along with the moog synthesizer

9. A Christmas Camel - Procol Harum (Procol Harum) - 8.25/10 Now THIS is what I've been looking for. It's quite messed up and strange. I love the guitar solo!

10. Crew Slut - Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) - 8.5/10 Really funny song. I always laugh at "Hey I'll buy you a pizza". An the ending is really good too!

11. All Together Now - The Beatles (Yellow Submarine) - 1/10 Please no. Anything but this Kindergarden hell.

12. Pilgrims - Van Der Graaf Generator (Still Life) - 7.75/10 Ah, that's better. Quite an overlooked one. Probably one of few VDGG songs with uplifting lyrics

13. Sharleena - Frank Zappa (Chunga's Revenge) - 8/10 A relaxed love song. The vocals are pretty cool

14. The Knife - Genesis (Trespass) - 8.75/10 Outstanding. A good one on the dark side of prog rock

15. Look Back in Anger - David Bowie (Lodger) - 8.5/10 I like how intense it is, but it's still not too hard to listen to

16. Open Your Eyes - Peter Hammill (Nadir's Big Chance) - 8.25/10 Some good punk to brighten the day

17. Just The Way You Are - Billy Joel (The Stranger) - 8.75/10 Makes me wonder why I hate love

18. Air Born - Camel (Moonmadness) - 8/10 The middle section is very nice, and the song is pretty. But probably best to listen to in the winter

19. Blackstar - David Bowie (Blackstar) - 9.75/10 R.I.P

20. Citadel - The Rolling Stones (Their Satanic Majesties Request) - 9/10 Best played at high volume
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 17:35
1. Crew Slut - Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) - 8/10 
2. Sharleena - Frank Zappa (Chunga's Revenge) - 8/10 
3. Fifty/Fifty - Frank Zappa (Over-Nite Sensatio) - 8/10 
4. Mr Green Genes- Frank Zappa (Uncle Meat) - 10/10 
5. Peaches En Regalia - Frank Zappa (Hot Rats) - 10/10 
6. Joes Garage - Frank Zappa (Joes Garage) - 8/10
7. Camarillo Brillo - Frank Zappa (Over-Nite Sensation) - 10/10
8. San Ber'dino - Frank Zappa (One Size Fits all) - 8/10
9. Stuff up the Cracks - Frank Zappa (Crusin' with Rubin) - 8/10
10. Brown Shoes don't Make it - Frank Zappa (Absolutely Free) - 10/10 
11. The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet - Frank Zappa (Freak Out) - 10/10
12. Trouble Every Day - Frank Zappa (Freak Out) - 10/10
13. Wowie Zowie - Frank Zappa (Freak Out) - 10/10
14. Love of my Life - Frank Zappa (Freak Out) - 10/10
15. Duke of Prunes - Frank Zappa (Absolutely Free) - 10/10
16. Ship Arriving to Late to Save a Drowning Witch - Frank Zappa (Ship Arriving to Late to Save a Drowning Witch) - 10/10
17. 20 Small Cigars - Frank Zappa (Chunga's Revenge) - 8/10 
18. Montana - Frank Zappa (Over-Nite Sensation) - 8/10 
19. Lumpy Gravy Part 1 - Frank Zappa (Lumpy Gravy) - 10/10 
20. The Idiot b*****d Son - Frank Zappa (We're Only in It for the Money) - 10/10

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 16 2016 at 17:47
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>