Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shuffle n' Rate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 17:51
hey cool..  I can play now... hitting random shuffle... going with first 20

1. Bluebird - Buffalo Springfield....   awesome man banjo RULES!!!!  10/10
2. Jackson-Kent Blues - Steve Miller....  lots of memories wrapped up in this one...  top 5 early Miller fav 9.5/10
3. Happy Together - Turtles    Flo and Eddie rule... one of my favorite sing along songs... 10/10
4. Long Hangover (extended version) - Diana Ross...  12/10... want to get a room full of middle aged tough guys dancing and getting funky.. put this on your portable music player.
5. Wango Tango - THE NUGE!!!  want to get a room full of middle aged tough guys playing air guitar.. put this on.. 11/10
6. Hopelessly Devoted to You - ONJ  want to get a room full of middle aged tough guys crying over past loves and giving sympathetic man hugs. .put this on...  10/10
7. Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis... a old favorite Motown classic of me.. and another alltime favorite sing along song... 10/10
8. I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You - Aretha...  nuff said.. 13/10
9.  Open My Eyes - The Nazz   god almighty what a killer riff...  8.5/10
10. Sounds of Philadelphia - TSOP.. .see Long Hangover.. 15/10. 

11. Heart and Soul - Huey Lewis and the News...  loses a point for not having the video that woman.. god Almighty...  one of my 8'0s favs...  WOOOA!!! 9/10
12. Got to Move (live) - Fleetwood Mac..  the ultimate stuck at work but would rather be at the bar song.. 11/10
13. Stop Stop Stop - Hollies... banjo banjo banjo...  14/10
14. Chest Fever - The Band..  organ organ organ... 14/10
15. With One More Look at You/Are you watching me now - Streisand... nuff said.. 15/10
16. Hard Days Night - Ramsey Lewis Trio... one of the most popular songs with my work crew.. if you ain't groovin and feeling it.. you ain't alive man...  12/10
17. Season of the Witch - Donovan...  organ bass organ bass organ bass.. oohhhhhh...  14/10
18. Deja Vu -CSN&Y   always loved this one..  very melancholy for me 11/10
19. I Just Wanna Make Love to You - FOGHAT!  - talk about some memories.. used to be the song I played when I closed the bar and hit this one up to announce last call...  13/10
20. High/Aflame - Knifeworld.. ...  the guys LOVED this one...  15/10
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 19:07
Emmett Elvin - X-Corpus - dark instrumental - 7/10
Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well 2 - lovely guitar work, prefer part 1 - 6/10
Dave Brubeck - Pick Up Sticks - trad jazz, beautiful stuff from everyones first jazz album - 8/10
AC/DC - Anything Goes - pretty standard stuff off Black Ice - 5/10
Yugen - Le Rovine Circolari - dark angular avant instrumental, love it - 8/10
Anthony Newley - Why? - indeed, why the hell is this on my itunes? (wifey stuff) - 2/10
Bent Knee - Counselor - serious ass kicking - 9/10
Henry Cow - RIO 1 - very odd live improv - 7/10
Stig - Ao Xi - new age instrumental - 6/10
Cassiber - It's Never Quiet - edgy dark & industrial noise rock - 6/10
Barnacled - Simalacrum - dark avant instrumental bassoon & accordion led - 7/20
Cheer-Accident - The Reenactment - wonky pop, sweet - 9/10
Leonard Cohen - Joan Of Arc - music to slit your wrists by - 9/10
Guapo - II - crushingly dark & heavy instrumental zeuhlish avant rock - 9/10
Pixel - Be Mine - sweet modern Norwegian jazz with lovely vocals, top notch - 9/10
Foo Fighters - Breakout - more face of alt rock - 5/10
Cosa Brava - R D Burman - modern edgy avant rock with Middle Eastern flavor - 7/10
Rolling Stones - Play With Fire - man I love this era of the Stones, a classic - 9/10
Tim Hecker - In The Fog III - electronic ambient noise - 8/10
Koenjihyakkei - Nivraym - Japanese full tilt bonkers zeuhl - 9/10
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 15:47
1. The Light Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis (The Lamb) - 7.5/10 Good, but works best as a part of the whole album

2. It's Hard - The Who (It's Hard) - 7.25/10 Kind of repetitive, but fun

3. Thank You For Sending Me An Angel - Talking Heads (More Songs About Buildings and Food) - 8/10 I have no idea what its about but I love it

4. Formeldahyde - Phideaux (Doomsday Afternoon) - 9/10 A gem in modern prog rock. The ending helps me memerize the formula for formeldahyde too. Valarie Gracious has a such a beautiful voice.

5. Misfits - Neil Young (Old Ways) - 9/10 A very underrated Neil Young song. Reminds me of my family road trips as a child.

6. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (A Night at the Opera) - 8.75/10 Yes it's one of the most overplayed songs ever, but you have to admit it's a prog masterpiece

7. Fame - David Bowie (Young Americans) - 8/10 What a strange hit!

8. I'm So Cute - Frank Zappa (Sheik Yerbouti) - 8.25/10 It's never a bad time for Zappa

9. Hang Fire - The Rolling Stones (Best of) - 7/10 Okay I guess. Funny lyrics.

10. And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles (Revolver) - 7.5/10 A good rock song

11. Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana (Unplugged In New York) - 7/10 I love this album but this song always seemed a little boring. It's quite hard to understand his voice at moments

12. Love Will Find A Way - Yes (Big Generator) - 6.75/10 Never was a big fan of this pop song

13. Cans and Brahms - Yes (Fragile) - 8/10 Now this is a GOOD Yes song

14. The Acid Queen - The Who (Tommy) - 8/10 Love this song! Some very progressive chord changes and dark lyrics

15. Mood For a Day - Yes (Fragile) - 9/10 Steve Howe at his finest

16. The Fish - Yes (Fragile) - 9/10 Another song from Fragile? Well, Chris Squire was the greatest

17. All In a Mouse's Night - Genesis (Wind And Wuthering) - 8/10 For a while I hated this because of the childish lyrics. But it's grown on me.

18. The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution - Frank Zappa (Sleep Dirt) - 9.75 Hands down, greatest song he ever composed

19. A Day in the Life - The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper) - 9.75/10 Mysterious and powerful. Really describes The Beatles well.

20. A Farewell to Kings - Rush (A Farewell to Kings) - 8.25/10 Outstanding track
User Banned for this Post
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 00:43
Went with the songs on my Amazon Prime cloud, so there's a lot of music up there that was just added to eventually listen to and a lot of music that i haven't listened. Surprised that 1/3 of the songs were from artists in Prog Archives database (put an * at the end of those).

1. Lindsey Stirling “Crystalize” Lindsey Stirling 6/10 My ex-girlfriend is a fan so I had a couple of Stirling’s albums on the cloud.

2. Russian Circles “Sciphol” Empros 7/10 Been getting into this instrumental post-rock band and most of their catalog is available for Prime members. *

3. Steve Vai “Mullach a’ tSi” The Story of Light 7/10 Nice quiet number. Prime has a good selection of Vai. *

4. Yes “Gates of Delirium” Relayer 10/10 Not a prime album. I had purchased the CD reissue a couple of years back and it came with a free digital download. *

5. Jaga Jazzist “Bananfluer Overalt” Live with Britten Sinfonia 8/10 Surprised me that it’s available for Prime members. That, and One Armed Bandit (minus a song or two). *

6. Portugal the Man “Break” n.a. This is a one-minute break between songs. It would work in context of the songs around it. But can't rate it.

7. Tom Petty “Love is a Long Road” Full Moon Fever 7/10 I like Petty and this album was a huge for him. His first without the Heartbreakers and Jeff Lynne co-writing. This is a nice rocking number from him though one of the songs not co-written with Lynne but with Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers.

8. Jimmy Eat World “Lean” Damage 6/10 - Seems like catchy little pop/rock number. I hadn’t heard it before. Not sure why I added Jimmy Eat World to my cloud. 

9. The Kinks “Ring the Bells” The Kink Kontroversy  7/10 Seems like this band gets underrated when discussing influential British Invasion bands. Nice quiet number.

10. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes “Superstar” Ruin Jonny’s Bar Mitzvah 7/10 - Cover of the Delaney & Bonnie song, best known by the Carpenters. All of Me First’s songs are punk covers of well known songs. Really good fun and a lot of their albums. This version rocks. It’s also from a live album that was performed and recorded at an actual bar mitzvah.

11. Weather Report “The Juggler” Heavy Weather 7/10 Decent track. Kind of drifts into the background. *

12. Banco de Gaia “Drunk as a Monk” Big Men Cry 9/10 This isn’t typical to what I listen to but I got the album a number of years ago and it remains a favorite. Another unexpected find on Prime which I added to my cloud.  I guess this style is ambient dub? Really trancy with some world sounds/beats thrown in.

13. U2 “Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come” The Unforgettable Fire (deluxe) 5/10 This is the last track of the second disc of the deluxe edition. An 1:30 throwaway instrumental so not really fair to rate. Back in ’82, this guy in my Algebra 2 class was insisting that the two biggest bands in the next few will be Motley Crue and U2. If I could have invested in bands, I would’ve listened to that guy.

14. Blur “Pressure on Julian” Modern Life is Rubbish 6/10 Decent track.

15. Santana “Samba Pa Ti” Ultimate Santana 7/10 I can listen to his guitar all day. *

16. ZZ Top “Woke Up with Wood” Afterburner 6/10 They found a formula and stuck with it until their beards overtook their music in popularity. Despite being overrun with synth sounds of the mid 80’s, this was multiplatinum hit album and I liked this track.

17. By Bloody Valentine “Only Shallow” Loveless 10/10 Great opener to a classic in shoegazing.

18. Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg “Since You’ve Asked”  Twin Sons of Different Mothers 6/10 Another left over from my ex-girlfriend. It’s a good album. Not on Prime. This song is melancholic with some nice flute from Weisberg.

19. Rush “Twilight Zone” 2112 5/10 This song just seems cheesy to me. “You have entered the twilight zone...” *

20. Funkadelic “A Joyful Process” America Eats Its Young 8/10 Instrumental funk is the best. Funkadelic was an awesome rock/funk band back in its day. Believe in the mothership.

21. Stevie Ray Vaughan “Change It” The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble 9/10 Had to include number 21 since it rocks and that Portugal the Man song really shouldn't count.

A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 23:01
1. Dark Ages - Jethro Tull (Stormwatch) - 9/10 Very intense. Stormwatch is an underrated album!

2. Sweet Dreams - Yes (Time and a Word) - 7.75/10 Love early Yes! This song has some great and uplifting melodies

3. The Black Angel's Death Song - The Velvet Underground (The VU and Nico) - 8/10 The fiddle is so cool in this. Has a very 18th Century feel to it

4. Rainbow Blues - Jethro Tull (War Child) - 7.5/10 Great song, especially that explosive intro

5. Breath (In the Air) - Pink Floyd (The Dark Side of the Moon) - 8.5/10 Quite a relaxing song.

6. The Unknown Soldier - The Doors (Waiting for the Sun) - 7.75/10 Classic. The ending is so protest-ish. Really like the middle too.

7. Two of Us - Supertramp (Crisis? What Crisis?) - 7/10 Pretty nice love song to close a good album.

8. Harem Scarem - Focus (Hamburgur Concerto) - 8.75/10 Sure it's kind of an alternate take on Hocus Pocus, but the accordion section is so beautiful. I also find it more accessible.

9. The Punk and the Godfather - The Who (Quadrophenia) - 8/10 Great angry rocker about rock. Really deep lyrics as well.

10. Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (Reprise) - David Bowie (iSelect) - 9.5/10 This is a prog masterpiece. Who says prog can't be sexy? This makes prog rock sexual whist maintaining a medley of sections. Bowie was a genious.

11. Kashmir - Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti) - 9/10 Fun to revisit this again. The brass always gets to me. How did they do it?

12. Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin IV) - 4/10 I'm sorry. Please don't kill me.

13. Another Brick in the Wall Part 3 - Pink Floyd (The Wall) - 6.5/10 Sounds like someone's having a bad day

14. The Sleepwalkers - Van Der Graaf Generator (Godbluff) - 9.5/10 Just at the first note I yelled "YES!!!" This song is mad! I love the humorous section too and the middle.

15. Lady Grinning Soul - David Bowie (Aladdin Sane) - 8/10 Ahh what a nice love song. The pianist is on point as well!

16. Girlfriend is Better - Talking Heads (Speaking in Tounges) - 6/10 It's an ok song.

17. Focus II - Focus (Moving Waves) - 8.25/10 Just so elegant...

18. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) - 8.5/10 Rather dreamy. A good song to chill out to

19. In the Beginning - The Moody Blues (Best of) - 7.5/10 Actually, one of the only songs I like off Threshold

20. Keep it Greasy - Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) - 8.75/10 I like when it gets really avent garde with the instrumentation after every verse. And the solo is supurb too!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2016 at 18:18
Perfect time to post my Fall list (helps me take my mind off the elections...)

So I again shuffled close to 7000 tracks on my main computer, added two tracks from 1000 on my tablet, and used a 20-sided die to determine where in the list to place the tab-computer tracks (spots #15 & #17...HA--I knew I could find a good use for that 20-sider I've had hanging around! (since I no longer do role-playing games)).  Lots of smooth female vocals popped out this time!

1. Lovely Rita - The Beatles, (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band) 7.7/10. One of the Beatles' great pop-oriented tracks, of course. I'm admittedly not a big Beatles fan, but still like most of their work, including this.

2. Labyrinth - Majestic (Labyrinth) 7.9/10. A 32 min. spacey epic; maybe a little too lengthy/overblown, but so what? In the right mood, it's quite a trip with its mix of excellent throbbing bass, acoustics, atmospherics, prog-timing/arrangement sensibility and decent female vocals.

3. Time And A Word - Yes (Time And a Word) 8.2/10.  TAAW is, to me, one of Yes's classic, and very underrated, albums (or at least THE great pre-classic Yes album) and this is its perfect short-ballad final track. LOVE is the Word!

4. Lindisfarne - Iona & the All Souls Orchestra (Woven Cord) 6.5/10. 1st real listen to this: Concert setting with orchestra and female vocal is nice, but doesn't grab me like, say, Labyrinth (above). Perhaps some more listens change this? 

5. Without Her - Blood, Sweat and Tears (Child is Father To the Man) 6.4/10 The 60's-ish bossanova-like touch to this one is fairly good, but not one of the better tracks on this album. 

6. 3 - Porcupine Tree (In Absentia) 7.6/10 Has PT's eerie-cool atmospherics and lyrics, but the dominant moving bass-line on this one makes it just a bit more notable than some of their other tracks. 

7. Some Are Born - Yes (Tormato) 7.2/10 Y'know, I did think I really liked this one, but a closer listen to the complexity that I didn't notice enough before bumps this above 7 for me (well, thats part of the value of doing these random lists!).

8. Hard to Explain - Cowboy Junkies (Pale Sun, Crescent Moon) 6.7/10. After "The Trinity Sessions", all other Cowboy Junkies I've heard seems somehow "lesser", but still not bad--also female vocal dominated.

9. My Teton Home - Kate McLeod (Blooming) 7.1/10 This Utah folk-artist's sweet earthy vocals and talented compositions caught the attention of folk-great Tim O'Brien, with whom she plays/sings on this album/track. 

10. She Moves Through The Fair - Fairport Convention (What We Did On Our Holidays) 7.6/10 Its good, slow folky-sentimental material with Sandy Denny's classic vocals.

11. Bedside Manners Are Extra - Greenslade (Bedside Manners are Extra) 6.7/10 Seems to start slow and unremarkable but improves, with a nice key solo.

12. A Face In The Crowd - Tom Petty (Full Moon Fever) 8.5/10  Used to love replaying this one over and over. Tom's profound but simple way of exploring human relationships with "crowd" imagery makes this track one of his better ones.

13. Black Crow - Diana Krall (The Girl In The Other Room) 8-ish/10  Also 1st listen, and the impression is good! But I already knew I liked a lot of her other music. The Crow theme and decent piano solo add nicely.

14. 13 Preludes, op. 32, No. 10 in B-Minor: Lento - Valentina Listitsa (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) 7.3/10  The "Queen of online Classical music" gives a great live/online performance (in around 2012?) but this slower Rachmaninov (I think) piece doesn't show off her amazing rapidfire virtuoso skills (what she's most known for).

15. Degli Uomini - Museo Rosenbach (Zarathustra) 8.7/10 I had grown used to the 2012 re-make before getting this, so I'm noting it sounds less polished, but still quite amazing--one of the better tracks from this classic album.

16. "Stars" - Z  (no album) 7/10 I had to consider hard whether to list this, because its not a single music track-- its a 1-hour mock radio show that I recorded last year ("Z" is also my DJ name). But hey, it popped up, and it is music, (and I started this post so I'm not breaking anyone's rules) so what the hey...Wink  
I experimented with using spacey sound effects as background for talk, and compiled only songs with some kind of "star" themes in them. So while I think my delivery still needs a little work, the show has a cool spacey vibe/aura to it that I liked. Tracks include (in order): Flaming Star, by Sally Oldfield; Written in the Stars by Blackmore's Night; Starman by David Bowie; Star of Sirius by Steve Hackett; Deform to Form a Star by Steven Wilson; Astronomy Domine by Pink Floyd; Astro Cortex by Ozric Tentacles; and Past Orbits of Dust by Rennaissance.

17. Pemulwuy Returns - James Asher (Shaman Drums) 7.7/10. I don't know who this guy is, but his combining world/shamanic (bongos/digeridoos etc.) sounds with modern beats is pretty damn good! I rate this track only slightly lower than some of his others because it's so techno/dance oriented, & I personally don't get into that kind of dance beat much.

18. Habanera - Itzhak Perlman (Sarasate Carmen Fantasy) 8.2/10  Perlman, the master of classical virtuoso violin, shows off nicely in this short Spanish-flavored piece.

19. Forever Together - Bird Thompson (Now Here This) 6.8/10  Bird is a local artist from Santa Fe and a good friend of mine. I think a couple of tracks on his 2007 album are right amazing with their powerful spiritual/Buddhist themes. This one is kind of mid-range good for me; easy laid-back beat. 

20. St. Agnes and The Burning Train - Sting (The Soul Cages) 8.3/10.  Classical guitar solo, also with Spanish flavor. Not sure if it is Sting himself playing, but mighty good.

Edited by zwordser - November 09 2016 at 22:12
Z
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2016 at 06:29
Yeah I'm stressed as well...

1. Filthy Habits - Frank Zappa (Sleep Dirt) - 8.5/10 Really cool track, love the backwards guitar towards the end, and overall nice composition

2. Teenage Wildlife - David Bowie (Scary Monsters) - 9/10 Wish I didn't live the concept. But this song is one of my favorites, especially when the multi-part bridge comes on, that just adds so much

3. Remember a Day - Pink Floyd (A Saucerful of Secrets) - 7.75/10 Emotional lyrics, and such outstanding piano. R.I.P Rick Wright

4. Life on the Nickel - Foster the People (Torches) - 8/10 Great indie rock song, probably closest to rap on my ipod. And this is not rap

5. Trio - King Crimson (Starless and Bible Black) - 8.5/10 Such a nice soothing and ambient improvisation

6. You By My Side - Chris Squire (Fish Out Of Water) - 7.75/10 Really pretty and sentimental love song, but sometimes a little too sentimental. We will always remember you, Chris.

7. Spellbound - Split Enz (Mental Notes) - 7.75/10 Nice ending, really positive way to end a sad album.

8. Candle in the Wind - Elton John (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) - 7/10 Probably should like it more but kind of tired of it by now

9. Hold On - Yes (90125) - 8.5/10 Great song off a mediocre album. Could definitely use this message right now.

10. The Runaway - Gentle Giant (In a Glass House) - 9.75/10 I LOVE this song SO much right now! The guitar and xylophone are outstanding and it's just so uplifting and happy!!!!

11. Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane (Surrestic Pillow) - 7.5/10 Classic, still a great rocker.

12. New Age - The Velvet Underground (Loaded) - 8/10 I always like these kind of well centered tracks. And the buildup in the chorus are really pretty.

13. Turn of the Century - Yes (Going For the One) - 9/10 Has such a great atmosphere. The whole thing is so moving and romantic, one of the best Yes songs out there, never gets old.

14. The Main Monkey Business - Rush (Snakes and Ladders) - 8.5/10 Now THIS is good modern prog!!! Geddy's harmonies are outstanding. Saw it love in Denver, Colorado on the R40 tour, fantastic show.

15. Good Company - Queen (A Night at the Opera) - 6/10 I think the world could love without this song. And maybe even Queen all in all...

16. Sound Chaser - Yes (Relayer) - 8.75/10 Epic and crazy track, but I love where it builds back in at 6 minutes and John Anderson's insane "Cha-Cha-Cha's"!

17. Dust in the Wind - Kansas (Point of Know Return) - 7.5/10 A very sweet one. The violin really saves it

18. 52 Girls - The B-52's (The B-52's) - 7.25/10 The surfer guitar is so good!

19. Mister Kingdom - Electric Light Orchestra (Eldorado) - 9/10 My favorite ELO track, fantastic buildup and lots of emotion. So daydreamish

20. Paperback Writer - The Beatles (1) - 7.75/10 Awesome rocker, great way to end this shuffle
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2016 at 12:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

4. Long Hangover (extended version) - Diana Ross...  12/10... want to get a room full of middle aged tough guys dancing and getting funky.. put this on your portable music player.
Deserves atleast a 16/10
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2016 at 18:00
1 Stahl und Eisen - Vakuum (We Knownono) - friends of mine do industrial with melody and it works 6.5/10
2 Rungholter Tanz 8 - Mechthild von Leusch (Ou Wirnith, Rungholter Taenze, erstes Buch) - cool dark rhythmic ambient stuff, rumour has it that Asmus Tietchens contributed to this 8.5/10
3 It must be a camel - Frank Zappa (Hot Rats) - nice adventurous jazzy feast 8.5/10
4 liq - Helena Gough (with what remains) - top exciting versatile soundscape music 9.5/10
5 The fate of Lee Khan - John Zorn (Xu Feng) - more sound experiments, a tiny little bit more in the direction of rock music, quite noisy though 8/10
6 Nothing can help you to see things clear - HyCo & Okay Blue Fish (Unlucky In Love) - another personal acquaintance, good calm guitar oriented song 7/10
7 Dewey-eyed, then dancing - Bill Bruford's Earthworks (Footloose and Fancy Free) - well done but it's a bit too conventionally jazzy for me 6/10
8 Flume - Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago) - pitchfork loves this, why am I not surprised? Actually a very charming song 8/10
9 Breaking us in two - Joe Jackson (Live at the BBC) - ah! This guy can hardly do anything wrong for me, and this is even one of his best 10/10
10 Bombay - The Sea and Cake (The Sea and Cake) - nicely dynamic but not exactly an earworm 7/10
11 Bogoroditse Djevo (Mother of God and Virgin) - Arvo Pärt (Triodion et al./Collection) - good deep spiritual music but too short on its own to make a big impression 6.5/10
12 Streetscenes, seine Angst - Vladimir Estragon (Three Quarks for Master Mark) - avantgarde opera singing, another one that doesn't work that well in a random mix 5.5/10
13 Three wishes - Roger Waters (Amused to Death) - Roger's voice is good here; I'm not a fan of his use of female backing singers but overall this is pretty elegant with good guitar 6.5/10
14 Crest - Tortoise (It's All Around You) - quite slow and relaxed composition with some memorable motifs 7.5/10
15 Dark Manoueuvres - Envoy (Soma Quality Recordings 4 - sampler) - oumph oumph oumph oumph techno stripped to the basics, why not? 6/10
16 (untitled) - Battles (EP C/B EP) - errr, this is three seconds long 3/10
17 Breathtaking - Holger Czukay (Eleven Years Innerspace) - this could be that last track on Holger's last album, I hope not; it's a relaxed fading out into space 6.5/10
18 Radio Jovian - Tied & Tickled Trio (Observing Systems) - this is a great album but this track is a soundscape like interlude between the "real" tracks that sounds very much like the Rungholter Tanz above; this random mix has a few of these 6/10
19 Metamorphosis 1.2 - Idem (Shorter than a Moment) - and another musician friend of mine, they're all here this time, psychedelic improvisation 6.5/10
20 Masques - Claude Debussy (Complete Piano Music, Gordon Fergus-Thompson) - a rather complex and edgy piano piece 7/10

A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 11:18
1. After the Gold Rush - Neil Young (After the Gold Rush) - 9/10 Saw him open with this last October, really cool melancholic track

2. Lake of Fire - Nirvana (Unplugged in New York) - 8/10 Always liked this one. Kurt Cobain sounds great!

3. Madrigal - Yes (Tormato) - 7.5/10 It's a nice song, very simple

4. Ramblin' On - Procol Harum (Shine on Brightly) - 8.5/10 Funny lyrics, Robin Trowers got good riffs

5. Long and Lonely Way - Phideaux (The Great Leap) - 8.25/10 The sitar makes this so middle eastern, a great crossover track!

6. Appena Un Po - PFM (Per Un Amico) - 9.25/10 Outstanding symphonic prog song, very dreamy, the mellotron makes perfect use

7. Free Fallin - Tom Petty (Best of) - 5/10 This really just isn't my style. It's good, but not my cup of tea

8. Would You Go All The Way? - Frank Zappa (Chunga's Revenge) 7/10 Not much comment...

9. Questions of My Childhood - Kansas (Leftoverture) - 7.25/10 Not bad, but not great. Once again, a bit poppy but at the same time can be progressive

10. Walk this Way - Aerosmith (Toys in the Attic) - 8/10 Ok fine ipod! I'll stip worshiping prog for once, happy? Yeah this is a fun one, lyrics are nice, I guess...

11. Moon Rocks - Talking Heads (Speaking in Tongues) - 7/10 This has a disco feel! I like the synths though

12. Wild Horses - Rolling Stones (Sticky Fingers) - 9.5/10 Now THIS is beautiful! So sentimental, and really sad. I love how the guitar and piano fit together

13. Micro Softdeathstar - Phideaux (Doomaday Afternoon) - 8/10 I have always loved the dramatic intro, and the intense string section is good on occasion too. This is a fantastic opening track.

14. A Venture - Yes (The Yes Album) - 8.75/10 Yes! This is so weird and cool off the uplifting album. One of my first favorite prog songs too!

15. The 58th Steet Bridge Song - Simon and Gardunkle (Best of) - 8.5/10 The scatting at the end makes this so happy!

16. Stay Hungry - Talking Heads (More Songs About Buildings and Food) 8.5/10 The bass at the end really makes this good. If one problem, too short!

17. There, There - Radiohead (Hail to the Theif) - 9/10 Love how this builds up throughout. Really ominous, and the percussion makes it a standout for sure

18. Breakfast in America - Supertramp (Breakfast in America) - 8/10 Why doesn't anyone here like this album, it's so good!

19. Laredo Tornado - ELO (Eldorado) - 8.25/10 Kind of cheesy at moments, but the melodies are really what make it special

20. Songs From The Wood - Jethro Tull (Songs From The Wood) - 9.5/10 I read somewhere that this song is darker than it sounds, which only makes me like it more-the day I discovered this song, a series of unfortunate events unfolded upon me and this song lets me make fun of it all!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 13:22
I tend to keep my iPod on shuffle for albums, but I just finished that full playlist a few days ago (after several months of listening), so I've finally had the opportunity to put some tracks on shuffle. Here goes:
  1. Rayuela - Vientos De La Calma (6/10) - Rayuela is one of my favourite albums of all time, but I think this is probably my least favourite track on it. That isn't saying much, of course, because it's still a very good song. A gentle folk/blues song with fine harmonies, and the excellent standard of interplay that these guys put into all of their songs. 
  2. Sea Level - Shake A Leg (5/10) - Some funky coastal R&B from my favourite Southern Rock fusion outfit. I like the groovy vibe and the big horn section accents, but it gets a tad repetitive. This song unfortunately also has a tendency to get stuck in my head for hours on end.
  3. Pallas - East West (3/10) - I'm not a huge fan of The Sentinel in general, but even as far as the album goes this is probably one of the weaker tracks. Very sappy.
  4. The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) (6/10) - This is a bit more like it! Love the honky tonk-type guitar groove going on in the background. It's hard not to tap my foot along to this one.
  5. Jeff Beck - Day In the House (4/10) - A really sarcastic song off of Guitar Shop, poking fun at the British parliament. This song is sort of funny, but aside from the novelty there's not much to enjoy here except a repetitive drum track/funk groove. Not exactly Jeff Beck's best work.
  6. Van Halen - 1984 (2/10) - Not much to go by here. A 70 second layered synth introduction. It serves as a nice segue into Jump but on its own it's not really anything special.
  7.  Ramones - Teenage Lobotomy (5/10) - This one sounds like every other Ramones song - not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The lyrics, in typical Ramones fashion, are kind of funny, and the band's playing is infectiously upbeat and happy.
  8. Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused (6/10) - One of my more preferred early Led Zeppelin tracks. The heavy parts rock, Robert Plant isn't excessively obnoxious with his singing, and Bonham kills it. I definitely prefer the studio version (which is the one I have on) to any of the live versions. This song works as a 6 and a half minute track. 30 minutes? Maybe not so much.
  9. Yes - South Side of The Sky (8/10) - Yes! There's so much to enjoy about this song. Steve Howe's metallic tone, the gorgeous middle section with the wordless vocals, and the general "on-edge" feel that permeates the whole thing. One of the truly good prog rock songs that Yes put out.
  10. Van Halen - You're No Good (6/10) - Two words: whale sounds. This song has a darker mood than a good bulk of the Van Halen catalogue (Fair Warning omitted), but there are still plenty of feelgood qualities to it. The call-and-answer chorus between Dave and the boys in the band, and, of course, Michael Anthony's amusing bass effects at the start.
  11. Strunz & Farah - Huixamatali (Luna Llena) (4/10) - A very brief instrumental from these guys. I don't think there's a single note of guitar in here, which is peculiar, but instead some jungle drumming and bouncy (pan?) flute melodies. It feels sort of like I'm momentarily involved in some Aztec ritual when this one comes on. 
  12. Aerosmith - Heart's Done Time (7/10) - Perhaps my favourite Aerosmith track. I love the orcas at the start (recorded at the Vancouver aquarium!), and when the main riff comes in, man. What a killer album opener! This is top notch hard rock. 
  13. Grateful Dead - Rhythm Devils (1/10) - The drum solo from 12/31/78: The Closing Of Winterland. God, as much as I enjoy the longer Dead jams, this one just puts me right to sleep. 20 minutes of just percussion isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is when it's as uninspired as this particular jam. And they didn't even have the Nubian guy come on stage to sing for part of it! That guy was a riot.
  14. Joe Satriani - I Just Wanna Rock (5/10) - Well that woke me up! Not exactly the level of cerebral composition you'd expect from Satriani, this is a truly boneheaded power chord groove. But what a catchy one! And the talk box adds a few points to the score.
  15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Am I Losin' (9/10) - Really one of the most underrated Skynyrd ballads. This one is just pure Ronnie Van Zant philosophy. The man spoke words of great wisdom, and this is no exception. The performance from the whole band is completely heartfelt, too. Really one of Skynyrd's classics.
  16. Grateful Dead - Playin' In The Band (8/10) - The version from 8/27/72 (Sunshine Daydream). One of the show highlights, really! This is one of the band's finest psychedelic jams, and the length detracts in no way from it. They were just on fire that day; this one probably could have gone on for double the length and they'd still be sounding fresh and inspired by the end of it. Great stuff.
  17. Senogul - Microcosmos Blues (8/10) - Senogul is one of my modern prog favourites, and this track is good indication as to why. A diverse, evolving instrumental, with all sorts of jazzy grooves, soulful solos, and good juxtaposition between heaviness and serenity. 
  18. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Don't Ask Me No Questions (6/10) - Not one of their finest, but still an immensely catchy piece of Southern Rock goodness. The horn section fits oddly well into the sound, and comes across as surprisingly non-cheesy. A good song all around.
  19. The Guess Who - Key (6/10) - Definitely a unique piece of The Guess Who's catalogue. This song almost ventures into psychedelic/proto-prog territory. Have any doubts of Garry Peterson's capabilities behind the kit? Look no further. I think my favourite part of this whole song is the final minute when the piano comes in, reintroducing the main melody. Beautiful section of music.
  20. Gentle Giant - Nothing At All (9/10) - One of the most beautiful songs in the Gentle Giant discography. The gentle acoustic sections definitely show just how much soul their early line-ups had, and the heavier, bluesy sections work really well, too. All I can is that iTunes must have a thing for drum solos today, because I seem to be getting a disproportionate amount of them!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 14:00
1) Miles Davis - Godchild - 8/10 - wonderful traditional jazz from the master
2) Steve Hackett - Spectral Morning - 8/10 - gorgeous instrumental rock
3) Crippled Black Phoenix - Human Nature Dictates The Downfall Of Humans - 6/10 - pretty standard post rock nothing special
4) Tool - Eulogy - 7/10 - some crushing, some minimalism, always interesting, good stuff
5) The Decemberists - The Abduction of Margaret - 9/10 - I love it when this band gets heavier & dirtier, some lovely grind on this one.
6) Pink Floyd - Anisina - 5/10 - a bit too mellow even for Floyd
7) Zombi - Cosmic Powers - 8/10 - Techno Prog!! love it
8) VDGG - Refugee - 10/10 - just about perfect example of what these guys can do
9) Stormy Six - Leader - 3/10 - too short to really decide anything
10) Phideaux - Dormouse - 4/10 - just a short little theme, out of context on shuffle
11) Far Corner - Do Something - 7/10 - pretty intense Chamber Rock, edgy & dark
12) Jethro Tull - Acres Wild - 7/10 - nice example of folk rock done right
13) Akku Quintet - Phase Transitions - 8/10 - 15 minutes of minimalist modern jazz, lovely stuff
14) Fripp & Eno - Timean Sparkles - 7/10 - beautiful ambient, very quiet.
15) Lindsay Cooper - Horse Waltz - 6/10 - bassoon led instrumental, merely ok
16) The Clash - Armagideon - 7/10 - ragga punky rock, none better at it
17) Chrome Hoof - Death Is Certain - 8/10 - about as heavy as they get, full cookie monster
18) Unit Wail - Humanoid Fish From Encelade - 8/10 - heavy instrumental zeuhly avant rock
19) Gong - A Sprinkling Of Clouds - 9/10 - Spacey goodness from my favorite album by them, Hillage is superb
20) Radiohead - Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors - 7/10 - minimalist alt rock, fun.
Ian

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 16:08
Ephemeral Sun - Approaching Acheron - 4/10 Somewhat generic but acceptable enough, this group has done quite a bit better
Sun Ra - Atlantis - 9.5/10 Absolute classic, probably one of the best tracks from the 1960's, highly noisy experimental space music from a jazz master that had transcended jazz itself
Thinking Fellers Local Union #282 - 5/10 Just a minimal minute-long transitional track, but it works well in context
Nurse With Wound - Blank Capsules of Embroided Cellophane - 9.5/10 Another huge favorite, probably from one of my favorite albums, a 28 minute monolith of a track, I will spoil nothing (and describing NWW is generally impossible anyway)
Don Caballero - Room Temperature Suite - 7.5/10 Probably slightly below average for Caballero, still making it significantly above average overall, this one's from the least of DC's three great albums
Cult of Luna - Thirtyfour - 6/10 This has been an oddly heavy/dark shuffle thus far... Where's all the upbeat jazz and lush prog? I suppose it's only fitting... 10 minutes of standard, good post-metal here, COL certainly has much better
DJ Shadow - Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain - 5/10 Instrumental hip hop built entirely out of a collage of samples. I don't get the hype over this album (Endtroducing) but then I don't have any other hip hop anyway. Some interesting concepts, doesn't do a huge amount for me
Do Make Say Think - You, You're Awesome - 6.5/10 Intriguing brief instrumental from a post-rock group I haven't gotten around to listening to yet
Ozric Tentacles - Sunscape - 6/10 I like Ozric Tentacles. They make good pieces of music. This is a good piece of music. Basically nothing else to say on the subject... OT is a group I almost despise in how insufferably decent they are LOL
Rush - The Camera Eye - 5/10 I'm not saying anything the Rush fans can use against me in a court of law
White Noise - Firebird - 6.5/10 Haven't listened to the full album yet, but I'm not sure how to feel about lame 60's vocals combined with fascinating electronics... I greatly appreciate anything that pretends to be happy and comfortable while simultaneously being subtly terrifying (and vice versa). Really intriguing stuff here
Archie Shepp - Theme For Ernie - 7/10 Brief but memorable track from a great but underknown jazz album (Mama Too Tight). This album does a great job mixing free jazz with graceful Ellingtonian big band melodies, although this track is more the latter than the former. The lengthier tracks on this album are godly, especially the 18 minute opener
Derek Bailey - M9 - 7/10 My favorite guitarist (probably) doing some quintessential solo improvisation. He works better in a group, but his solo work is still worth checking out if you're into aimless avant-garde noodling (so very few of you, maybe ALotofBottle). Bailey influenced Robert Fripp and Fred Frith at least.
Mr. Bungle - The Girls of Porn - 7/10 Probably the dirtiest, filthiest song I have. I'm not their biggest fan, but this group is a delight. I'm just happy they ever existed, even if I don't listen much. 
Jean-Luc Ponty - Nostalgic Lady - 5/10 Jean-Luc Ponty is jazz fusion at its most lifeless and dull... There I said it. Actually I don't hate the guy's music as much as I used to, he's not half bad, this is decent enough
Il Baletto Di Bronzo - Epilogo - 8/10 I actually don't really care much for the rest of this album, but goddamn, when it gets going, this track refuses to take prisoners. Prog never really used piano enough. 
Funeral - Heartache - 7/10 Slow... Dull... Depressive...  I approve. I've got a soft spot for funeral doom metal, and here's the subgenre's progenitors doing what they do best (mope about nothing in particular). This sort of music almost becomes comically downbeat. Quit whining and cheer up you b*****ds
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Lee's Tune - 6.5/10 Once again, they've definitely done better, but this will do in a pinch
The Mothers of Invention - The Uncle Meat Variations - 7/10 Frank Zappa and Co. totally invented Rock In Opposition
Eric Dolphy - Eclipse - 7/10 The album overall didn't impress me much on the first listen, but this track works really well on its own. Jazz cello is always welcome, and there's some really good interplay here. Dolphy would really prove his chops elsewhere, of course
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 20:12
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Rush - The Camera Eye - 5/10 I'm not saying anything the Rush fans can use against me in a court of law

LOL

• Jeff Beck - Declan (Who Else!) [7/10] - A really beautiful instrumental, with a bit of a Celtic feel to it. Definitely one of the stronger pieces to come from Jeff Beck's more intimate, heartfelt side. 
  • Billy Cobham - Le Lis (Spectrum) [7/10] - Yeeeeaaaah. Real smooth stuff right here. Like, maybe even a bit too smooth. I feel a little naughty listening to it.
  • Deep Purple - Highway Star [Live] (In Concert) [10/10] - Yeeeeaaaah!!! One of the true rock masterpieces, this track is. And what better way to make it kick absolute butt than to do it live? 
  • King Crimson - Cat Food (In The Wake of Poseidon) [8/10] - Keith Tippett is a genius. His playing here is so off-kilter and abstract, but simultaneously so cool and laid back. And the lyrics are super funny, too. 
  • Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks (IV) [8/10] - Hell yeah! One of the Led Zeppelin songs to end all Led Zeppelin songs. Possibly Bonham's best drum sound, period; so huge and booming. The harmonica and slide work here are also killer. In short, this is blues rock done right. 
  • Quella Vecchia Locanda - Sogno, Risveglio, E... (Quella Vecchia Locanda) [7/10] - Well this sort of killed the good vibes that I had going. Which is too bad, because in the original context of the album it makes for a haunting, dignified closer, but on its own it doesn't work super well.
  • Joe Satriani - Ride (Flying In A Blue Dream) [5/10] - One of the few Satriani vocal tracks. I actually kind of like his voice, and it definitely works here. The song itself is inoffensive hard rock. Nothing too bold, but then again, it doesn't really have to be.
  • Island - Herold and King (Dloreh) (Pictures) [5/10] - I was just listening to this the other night. While I find the first side of Pictures to be utterly mesmerizing and morbidly fascinating, I always found the two tracks sprawling the second side to sort of lose themselves a little. It's a very odd experience listening to this, but oddly unmemorable once it's over.
  • The B-52's - Love Shack (Cosmic Thing) [11/10] - Yeeeeaaaah! Who needs boring, wussy prog when you have real classics like this one? 
  • King Crimson - Pictures of A City (In The Wake of Poseidon) [10/10] - Hell yes! Have your Schizoid Men, but to me this is the very finest piece of proto-jazz-prog-metal that KC ever conceived. Michael Giles absolutely SLAYS this thing, and Fripp just cranks it up to 10000 and never tones it back down. And Mel Collins makes me think inappropriate thoughts with his performance here. Then when they just trash all their instruments for like a minute straight at the end, I get so amped up. This is prog that rocks, man.
  • Judas Priest - Heavy Duty/Defenders of The Faith (Defenders of The Faith) [8/10] - *Grunts*. The megalithic, booming drum beat, that hard-hitting wall of power chords, Halford's typical lyrical sleaziness... What's not to love? 
  • Yes - Roundabout (Fragile) [10/10] - Hell yes! Like I've said before, "K, I don’t care how many times you’ve heard this on the radio, this is an objective masterpiece of a song. From that minimalistic intro by Steve Howe, you can hear the tension brooding. This isn’t like anything else written before it. But with a major D chord and a descending fingerstyle pattern, the tension is released, overshadowed by a lighter mood. Or is it? When that bass groove sinks in from Chris Squire, you can feel the vast scale of entire worlds being created, cracked open and split apart. And the whole middle section where Bruford gives 'er on the percussion, leading back into a recapitulation of the intro, it’s just one of the greatest tension and release passages in modern music. And let’s not forget Rick Wakeman’s organ solo. As Dewey Finn said in School of Rock, “listen to the keyboard solo on Roundabout – it’ll blow the classical music out your butt.” Essential, essential, essential listening."
  • Molly Hatchet - Jukin' City (Flirtin' With Disaster) [8/10] - Aw yis. A genuine piece of Southern Rock goodness. Love how deep the swing is on this one.
  • Strunz & Farah - Rio Nuevo (Frontera) [7/10] - One of the better songs off of this early Strunz & Farah album. There's a bright, jovial quality to it, accentuated by the flowing panflute lines. Great stuff for fans of classical guitar and acoustic world music.
  • King Crimson - Easy Money (Larks' Tongues In Aspic) [8/10] - Man, iTunes is just giving me all the best riffs today! Fripp is a beast here, and Jamie Muir is a genius. This is heavy prog done right!
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd - Railroad Song (Nuthin' Fancy) [8/10] - One of the unknown Skynyrd gems. The harmonica slays, and even if there's no guitar solo in this one, it still rocks and grooves along.
  • Van Halen - Judgement Day (For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge) [8/10] - Shuffle is on a roll tonight! One of the best Van Halen tracks of the 90's, if not at least the hardest rocking. 
  • Molly Hatchet - Let The Good Times Roll (Flirtin' With Disaster) [9/10] - As a matter of fact, Danny Joe Brown, I will! This is feelgood summertime road trippin' Southern Rock at its finest.
  • Rush - La Villa Strangiato (Hemispheres) [4/10] - Yawn... This was the coolest song on the planet for about the first four times I heard it, then it got old real quick. 
  • Charlie Daniels Band - The South's Gonna Do It (Fire on The Mountain) [9/10] - You know it, man! There are few usages of fiddle in rock music that come close to this one, and very few songs that are more toe-tap-inducing. Love it!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 20:43
1) U2- Love n Peace or Else - 2/10 - what is this doing on my ipod?
2) Eccentric Orbit - By Air Express To Venus - 5/10 - not a great progday recording, cool band though
3) Yochko Seffer - Polyglotte - 7/10 - dark experimental jazz - lovely
4) Nik Bartsch Ronin - Modul 55 - 10/10 - the finest minimalist jazz
5) Porcupine Tree - Occams Razor - 5/10 - nice little interlude
6) Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band- Mickeys Sons & Daughters - 10/10 - man I love the Bonzos
7) Rolling Stones - Love Is Strong - 4/10 - not their greatest era
8) Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores - Amplifier Hum - 8/10 - weird even for the Eyesores, dark and edgy, sweet
9) LOTR Soundtrack - Concerning Hobbits - 7/10 - nice
10) Egg - 7 is a Jolly Good time - 10/10 - bizarrely wonderful, very odd.
11) Jeremy Flower - As October Becomes - 8/10 - dark edgy folk with Carla & Matthias from SGM guesting
12) Quiet Sun - Sol Caliente - 7/10 - 801 material in its original form, crunchy instrumental guitar
13) Korn - Dead - 4/10 - bagpipe metal!!
14) AC/DC - Shot Down In Flames - 10/10 - good old rocking music, love these guys
15) 3 Mice - 20 Heart - 7/10 - quirky instrumental slightly edgy - nice stuff
16) Comus - To Keep From Crying - 6/10 - dark acid folk, not as good as their debut
17) John Lee Hooker - My Dream - 8/10 - this guy oozes gravelly blues
18) The Residents - Walter Westinghouse - 4/10 - i have no idea what this is about
19) Breznev Fun Club - Ludiche Ecchimossi 1 - 7/10 - pleasant instrumental prog
20) Zoe Keating - Flying and Flocking - 8/10 - solo looping cello, I'm entranced
Ian

A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 22:54
1. Mrs. Santa Cruz County - Cracker (Oh Cracker, Where Art Though) - 8/10 I like how throughout the whole thing it's so sweet and happy and then after the chorus it gets really scary then goes back to normal

2. Evelyn, a Modified Dog - Frank Zappa (One Size Fits All) - 6.75/10 "Arf, she said."

3. No Quarter - Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy) - 9/10 One of Zep's most progressive. The keyboard is so weird, I always imagine a dark and scary ocean or like The Odyssey

4. Sofa, No. 2 - Frank Zappa (One Size Fits All-again) - 8.75/10 I love swan songs that are beautiful and symphonic but at the same time really weird, like this German Zappa conclusion.

5. Turn to Stone - ELO (Out of the Blue) - 7.25/10 Nice percussion that fades in at the start. A fun ELO song. Geez, I get a lot of ELO on shuffle.

6. Paintbox - Pink Floyd (Relics) - 8/10 Good song, especially how it's really weird and psychedelic but at the same time has a consistent beat

7. El Sondidito - Unknown (Unknown) - 5/10 "Un, dos, tres, CUATRO!!!"

8. Jealous Guy - John Lennon (Imagine) - 9/10 So sweet and symphonic, probably my favorite John Lennon song.

9. Word on a Wing - David Bowie (Station to Station) - 8/10 Whenever I hear this, I always imagine Bowie in a bar fantasizing beautiful women on a beach. I love the "ready to shake this scheme of things" part.

10. To Cry You A Song - Jethro Tull (Benefit) - 8/10 Hard rocking song, that riff is just unbelievable!

11. Hold Out Your Hand - Chris Squire (Fish Out of Water) - 7.75/10 Really keyboard based, pop-prog song. Pretty cool, and R.I.P Chris Squire

12. Run Through the Light - Yes (Drama) - 8.25/10 The solo in the middle is great, this is my favorite kind of 80s based prog

13. Miss Amanda Jones - The Rolling Stones - 7/10 Serves well on shuffle, but kind of a stereotypical blues rock track with not much special

14. The Camera Eye - Rush 9.5/10 Unlike mechanicall flattery I will not be going to court for hating this because it's an all time favorite of mine

15. The Ghost Song - The Doors (Best of) - 8.25/10 Jim Morrison's poetry over the music is so different and cool, making this a stand out on our shuffle

16. Child of Vision - Supertramp (Breakfast in America) - 8.75/10 The piano is amazing, I love how it brings this album to a close

17. Carpet Crawlers - Genesis (The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) - 9.75/10 One of the most majestic and elegant songs ever recorded in history. There I said it."

18. Whatever Happened to all the Fun in the World - Frank Zappa (Sheik Yerbouti) - 8/10 Because who says short songs are not good?

19. Jeremy Bender - ELP (Tarkus) - 7/10 Pretty funny song, also unique. Also, R.I.P Keith Emerson and Greg Lake

20. Ten Years Gone - Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti) - 8.5/10 One of the most saddest of the classic rock songs. As well as being sad, this also has great guitar, making it a amazing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 17:33
I just went with 10 this time, ended up being a pretty quick playlist

Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe Pt. 4 - 6/10 Jarre gets way too much praise for his 70's work, but there's still some definite quality here
Low - Drag - 8.5/10 Great slowcore/indie rock here, I've been listening to this album (I Could Live in Hope) extensively over the past couple moments, and this is one of the best tracks on it
Peter Brotzmann - Untitled - 6/10 Just a brief bonus track on Schwarzwaldfahrt, a lengthy album comprised entirely of Brotzmann and Hans Bennick jamming in the woods (literally). Weird stuff, could work really well in context
Tortoise - The Taut and Tame - 7.5/10 One of the most inventive groups of the 90's establishing their originality and influence
Camberwell Now - Element Unknown - 6.5/10 Another brief one, slightly oddball but mostly disquieting instrumental from the group formed out of the ashes of This Heat, can't wait to get around this group
The Raincoats - Red Shoes - 7.5/10 Not quite post-punk or art rock, hardly prog, yet neither avant garde nor pop, not sure how to refer to these gals (all female group), but this album Odyshape is highly original and recommended. One of the shorter but still quintessential songs on the album
John Cage - Perilous Night #4 - 5/10 Minute long minimal track on prepared piano, clearly not meant to stand on its own merits, I'll just give it a neutral rating
Pink Floyd - Let There Be More Light - 7.5/10 The gems on A Saucerful of Secrets don't get discussed often enough, this is a really good track here unfortunately buried in Floyd's extensive discography
Einsturzende Neubauten - Finger Und Zahne - 7/10 Nine seconds of what sounds like an apple being bitten. May Einsurzende Neutauten never die
Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader - 8/10 Just some random track off of some obscure album nobody's ever listened to. No point me going into depth on something so arbitrary and unknown.

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

• King Crimson - Pictures of A City (In The Wake of Poseidon) [10/10] - Hell yes! Have your Schizoid Men, but to me this is the very finest piece of proto-jazz-prog-metal that KC ever conceived. 

I used to think Pictures of a City was better than Schizoid Man (was I ever so young...?). Then I remembered that I prefer to have correct opinions. I guess not all of us can aspire to holding accurate beliefs. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

14. The Camera Eye - Rush 9.5/10 Unlike mechanicall flattery I will not be going to court for hating this because it's an all time favorite of mine

Nah I don't hate The Camera Eye or most Rush songs for that matter. 5/10 really just signifies apathy for me. Glad you enjoy it more though.

Edited by mechanicalflattery - December 19 2016 at 17:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 00:04
Haunted by holiday blues, the aimless stranger turns once more to the cruel whims of Fate, surrendering all volition, allowing her to purge his soul by the power of random probability...

Gentle Giant - The Moon is Down 9/10 - HELL YEAH
Kayo Dot - The Antique 8/10 - I found Choirs of the Eye utterly dull on my first and only listen, but found this one to be really quite good on its own, I'll have to give this another chance
U Totem - The Judas Goat 8.5/10 - Lengthy cut off of my favorite Rock in Opposition album
Tortoise - Jetty 7/10 - I don't always understand Tortoise, but I always respect them
David Bowie - Black Country Rock 4/10 - Even back when I was obsessed with The Man Who Sold the World, I knew this song was crap
Moe! Staiano - Forfeit Breathing 7/10 - The drummer for Sleepytime Gorilla Museum does some wicked solo avant-garde percussion work
U Totem - January Sky 5/10 - The second U Totem album features lots of good music and terrible use of vocals, this track being a key example
Stereolab - Lock-Groove Lullaby 6.5/10 - Damn good album, probably the worst track on it, but still definitely enjoyable
Labradford - Banco 6/10 - Not notably engaging, but this brand of slow post-rock definitely has potential
Thergothon - Everlasting 8/10 - Quintessential funeral doom metal from one of my favorite metal albums
Concussion Ensemble - Nausea 6/10 - Now here's some heavy rock for you
Gentle Giant - The Boys in the Band 8.5/10 - I frequently have to remind myself why I bother listening to groups that aren't Gentle Giant
Vortex - Absquomboum 7/10 - Starts weak, but gains steam. Another group in my backlog.
Pulsar - The Strands of the Future 7/10 - Spacey 22 minute epic, quite good if not mindblowing
Jose Cid - A Partir Do Zero 6.5/10 - Catchy, well-composed, not stellar, but worth checking out
King Crimson - Fallen Angel 4/10 - Oh look, it's the worst full song of KC's "classic" era, off of their weakest album
CW Vrtacek - Inside 5/10 - Basic minute long instrumental, calming enough I suppose
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm 7.5/10 - Great low-key duet between Blakey (my absolute favorite drummer) and Paul Chambers on bass
Earth - High Command 7/10 - A delightful ode to everybody's favorite pastime: doing dope with high-ranking SS officials... This is an awkward time to mention that Earth is one of my favorite groups
Death in June - We Drive East 8/10 - I REALLY need to get around to listening to these guys, definitely up my alley

His task complete, the stranger recedes once more into the shadows, unsung and soon forgotten
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 20:34
1. All Spectacular - Cardiacs (Songs For Ships And Irons) - 8/10 Fantastic swan song! Love the guitar solo!

2. Black Mountain Side - Led Zeppelin (I) - 8/10 Very pretty song with nice guitar and percussion

3. So Fine - Electric Light Orchestra (A New World Record) - 7/10 Always makes me think of summer and fun times. Great song

4. Your Mother Should Know - The Beatles (Magical Mystery Tour) - 7.25/10 Something about the piano in this makes me really like this song

5. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen (Best of) - 3/10 And the shuffle was going so well...

6. A Token of My Extreme - Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) - 8.25/10 Really funny track about religions believing in sexual orientations towards appliances

7. The Story In Your Eyes - The Moody Blues (Every Good Boy Deserves Favour) - 7/10 A fun song, works best while listening to the whole album

8. Play the Game - Queen (Best of) - 7.5/10 Well this one is more half decent. When I soon delete this horrible album from my ipod, maybe I'll keep this and a few others

9. Exiles - King Crimson (Larks Tounges in Aspic) - 9/10 One of the most quintessential prog rock songs. I probably perfer the live version off USA, but this is still outstanding

10. Waiting on a Friend - The Rolling Stones (Best of) - 7/10 Nice song, quite relaxed

11. I'm One - The Who (Quadrophenia) - 7/10 Really good song, but just was never a favorite for me

12. Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin (II) - 6/10 Not perfect

13. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres - Rush (Hemispheres) - 9.5/10 Always have loved this one, really sticks out in the entire Rush catalog

14. Houdini - Foster the People (Torches) - 8.25/10 Great song, not much I can say about it. I do love some of these modern indie rock bands like Foster the People or Portugal The Man. I find them to be prog inspired but commercial intended. Good music!

15. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds - The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper) - Never gets old, a childhood favorite too

16. Good Company - Queen (A Night at the Opera) 5.5/10 God dammit! Another Queen song? This must stop!

17. Don't Bring Me Down - Electric Light Orchestra (Discovery) - 7/10 Just saw a Doctor Who episode with a lot of ELO. This song is a pretty fun one

18. It's Over - Electric Light Orchestra (Out of the Blue) - 8/10 Unlike Queen, I'm quite happy to get all this ELO on shuffle. This one has always been a favorite of mine. Very bitter sweet.

19. Honey Pie - The Beatles (White Album) - 7/10 This song is so funny! I read that Paul wrote it in tribute to the music his father loved

20. The Anarchist - Rush (Clockwork Angels) - 7.5/10 Intense stuff. They opened with this on R40, fantastic show!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 09:46
I really love my music collection. I thought it was 20 but its 21 - so sorry

Krzysztof Penderecki - Anaklasis 8/10 - composed in 1959 and means "refraction of light". The young avant-garde genius of Krzysztof gently builds up to a thick wall of terrifying sound from 42 stringed instruments that literally make my hair stand on end. Unfortunately that wall rather quickly dissolves into nothingness until a completely bonkers percussion solo seemingly performed on buckets, bottles, rocks and cutlery comes crashing in... now back to eerie and quiet again - followed by a final wash of breathtaking horrorstrings. Its almost like a sketch for the life-changing Threnody composed less than a year later.           

New Model Army - Drag it Down 9/10 - is really dense, packed, effective and clever songwriting from start to finish. I can see why Sepultura were such big fans. I like the kind of pessimist - almost conservative nature of their anger about statues being pulled down "So melt down all the ornaments, Move out all the graves" removing history - good or bad from our consciousness.

Agitation Free - A Quiet Walk 9/10 - takes its time slowly sauntering along towards its hypnotic second half-middle-eastern sounding kraut jam. Stunning.

Girolamo Frescobaldi - Cento Partite Sopra Passacagli (II Parte) 8/10 - a nice little baroque harpsichord ditty that perfectly continues the pastoral feel of the former tune.

The Cosmic Gardeners - Way of Going 8/10 - It's never wrong with a pleasant psychsong full of hippie vibes as long as its drenched in sitar and has a nice beat. 

Fairuz - Wata’eddouar 8/10 - her gentle voice is enough for me to love this but the superb string-arrangement almost overshadows our Lebanese Ambassador to the Stars and Neighbor to the Moon.

Edda Dell ‘Orso - Agente Speciale LK Operazione Re Mida (Main Theme) 9/10 - Wordless vocal of the highest order backed by a simple-but haunting music box-imitating cembalo. Short and sweet.

The Mothers of Invention - I Ain’t Got No Heart 6/10 - Not terribly exiting but a fine and disrespectful 60’s psych-pop pastiche. 

Secret Chiefs 3/Ishraqiyun - Balthassar : Melchior : Kaspar 8/10 - Undoubly one of the most exciting living progressive bands on the planet. Based on an afghan tune this is infectious "world music» chock full of rocking sarangi-riffs (I think) is way cooler than the world music you (think you) know. 

The Residents - Loneliness 8/10 - Their one minute of genuine melancholy that doesn’t seem to be in cheek or ironic (is there any difference between the two?).

Kate Bush - All the Love 10/10 A masterpiece. Goosebumps, tears, shivers, hard-on... you name it. 

Peteris Vasks - V. Meditation 8/10 Lovely modern classical from one of my favorite living composers. As the title suggests its easy on the ears, but I’d imagine far too sad and depressing for the new age crowd. 

Gene Pitney - Town Without Pity 8/10 Shuffle has served me tons of greatness and this is Golden Globe-winning theme song no exception. 

Can - Dizzy Dizzy 8/10 - Its Can which means it brilliant by default. Dizzy Dizzy just wanders and loosely grooves along without doing any harm. Cozy.

Gianni Dell'Orso & Gianni Oddi - Summer Fashion 8/10 - Pure loungy ear-massage. Perfect easy listening-delights such as this isn’t easy to compose, but takes a lot of craft and a good ear.  

Al Bowlly When My Little Pomeranian Met Your Little Pekinese 8/10 - listening to this unbelievably sugary sweet & (perhaps not so) innoncent, fun and totally charming duet makes me realize that 1933 is just as far away and otherworldly as Planet Gong or Planet Kobaïa - in a slightly different way though. 

Demolition Hammer - .44 Caliber Brain Surgery 10/10 - Ha-ha! I couldn’t have made a more fitting follow up had I cheated! Ridiculously infectious and catchy thrash-death aggression that seriously takes some genuine skills and abilities to nail. Gotta love those gang shouts.

Elocoide - Mitosi 9/10 - now what is this then? Gamelan-sounding electronic minimalism from Italy - 1987. And ever so lovely.

Evaristo Felice Dall’Abaco - Sonata in si minore op. III nº 3 per due violini e continuo. Allegro e Spicato 7/10 phew… - long title for a sweet little tune lasting less than two minutes. I guess there’s no denying Evaristo is a second tier Baroque composer that could have been sued by both Vivaldi and Corelli for plagiarism but he certainly had a knack for for carving out some wonderful melodies that stays in your head. 

Giovanni Tommaso - Underground Number Seven 9/10 - AWESOME proggy jazz rock fusion hidden on a 70’s documentary soundtrack  (the rest of the album is nothing to write home about though). Y'all love this tune I swear. Probably perfect for driving.

Death Angel - Kill As One 10/10 - Oh god one of my favorite thrash metal tunes! - Or metal anthems! Those falsetto screams! Those riffs! Their drummer was only 15 years old! Every single sentence needs to end with an exclamation mark! 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 15 2017 at 02:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>