Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 08:59
I've dipped my toes in the Limelight category (best newcomers) and found that:

Circuline sounds a lot like Magenta,
and that Good Tiger are The Mars Volta under a different name?

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 09:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I've dipped my toes in the Limelight category (best newcomers) and found that:

Circuline sounds a lot like Magenta,
and that Good Tiger are The Mars Volta under a different name?

You've never heard Tides of Man, Dance Gavin Dance, and The Safety Fire? That's what they sound like to me. The Mars Volta is way more complex and isn't as entrenched in post-hardcore.

... Sorry. I'm just a huge Volta fan :) 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 09:07
No worries Greg. I dig em as well, but I do hear a LOT of similarities between the two. The Lars Volvo though are, as you say, a lot more interesting to these ears. 
Sorta like the similarities between Alcest and Deafheaven. Miles apart yet at the same time I feel the latter is a complete ripp-off of the formerWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 10:29

I'll list the possible candidates for album of the year, in case there are some folks who are too lazy to follow linksTongue

Anderson/Stolt - Invention Of Knowledge

Surely that hasn't even been released yet?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'll list the possible candidates for album of the year, in case there are some folks who are too lazy to follow linksTongue

It's out; I've got it. It's quite nice.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:46
I probably just haven't searched enough, but I can't see the page explaining the nomination process.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:28
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's out; I've got it. It's quite nice.

According to Amazon it's released on 24th June. Where did you get it?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 15:49

Between The Buried And Me - Coma Ecliptic
Big Big Train - Folklore
Dream Theater - The Asstonic
Haken - Affinity
Messenger - Threnodies
Purson - Desire's Magic Theatre
TesseracT - Polaris
iamthemorning - Lighthouse

I know I have some pretty weird taste-buds and that I tend to veer away from the pack, yet it surprises me that I struggle to find one album to root for in this little tournament. I've listened to all albums here bar Polaris and Coma Ecliptic and find little that touches me on an emotional level. Maybe I should just vote for Purson and be done with it....which is kinda funny seeing as I find it the least "prog" sounding album on offerLOL

I created an account, just to vote for Purson, and it wasn't on the list.

I found most of the nominees in most categories either far too fanboyish or far too obscure. 
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Project Nightscape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 16:44

That's right, Hawkwind is there!LOL
No Ozrics though which I find a little odd. 

Would've thought Anekdoten were featured somewhere as well. They fit the demography perfectly.

Thanks for the nod toward Anekdoten. I hadn't heard the band before your mention. I'm near the end of my first spin of Until All the Ghosts are Gone (2015) and really digging it.
https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 16:47
I don't really like people's choice type awards. I'd rather a jury of music academics and professionals debate then decide according to very well-defined criteria, and then put the results in a box marked "Don't Open Till Doomsday".

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 17:32
Purson are in album of the year.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 18:10
I thought the Storm Thorgerson Design Award was going to talk about album covers, not re-release boxes
http://fryingpanmedia.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 08:16
I've bought quite a few of Prog Magazine's issues over the years when I see it at the local Barnes & Noble. Their coverage of non-British bands is pretty minimal, so it makes some sense (however unfair this is), that representation from other countries in their awards isn't as diverse as it should be. Sometimes a group outside the Anglo-American sphere gets an article here and there, but yes, their coverage of RPI is practically non-existent.

Write them an e-mail and let your thoughts be heard. Since it's a for-profit company in the business of making money, having markets chiefly in Britain and a smaller US market, I have my doubts they'll change their glossy, loads-of-pictures, but weak-on-content format.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 08:44
Originally posted by Project Nightscape Project Nightscape wrote:

That's right, Ha<span style="line-height: 1.4;">wkwind is there!LOL</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">No Ozrics though which I find a little odd. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Would've thought Anekdoten were featured somewhere as well. They fit the demography perfectly.</span>

Thanks for the nod toward Anekdoten. I hadn't heard the band before your mention. I'm near the end of my first spin of Until All the Ghosts are Gone (2015) and really digging it.

No problem. I'm glad I could be of service

- Douglas Adams
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 12:43
What is the time frame for album of the year?   I ask because we're less than half way thru 2016.    Are albums released the second half of 2015 included?   

So far,  my favorite album of 2016 is Gandalf's Fish "The Clockwork Fable".   Of the nominees,  I'd would vote for Haken.   I haven't heard Dream Theater's release yet, as I'm waiting for the CD price to drop drastically.  I live on a budget.

Yet, I paid  30 dollars for "The Clockwork Fable".  Why?   Because the premise was so damned ambitious,  I was willing to preorder album unheard on a hunch that it must be a masterpiece or the deluded ravings of a madman.   Plus I have so much Dream Theater in my collection, I feel I can afford to wait on The Astonishing in much the same way I waiting for Steven Wilson's 4 1/2 to drop to the bargain basement.  

I will check out Big Big Train too.  I haven't got round to it yet.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - June 21 2016 at 13:15
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 07:26

Just goes to show that 2016 has been a pretty poor year for RPI....nah hang on a minute, there are quite a few 2015 releases, so I guess they're cutting the year abnormally. So yeah no RPI, fusion, space rock, avant or any of the more boisterous genres, but that is probably to be expected. 

Btw I voted for King Crimson in the live event. I foresee the gig in September being absolutely spectacularBig smile
Shame I couldn't vote for Fire! Orchestra...

These annual prog awards would be a great place for people with a passing familiarity with prog - accent on the "passing familiarity" part - to explore unfamiliar music.  That's probably the main contribution these awards can bring to music fans.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 09:45
I voted for everyone, so I am fair Big smile.......Great magazine but the awards are always mehh. I mean Dream Theater should not even be on ANY list for Astonishing, at best it was a Disney movie soundtrack.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 15:51
Ridiculous that Billy Ritchie and 1-2-3 (Clouds) haven't received the top awards - Without him/them, there would have been no Yes, no ELP, no King Crimson etc etc. Don't take my word for it, watch TRAILBLAZERS of PROG ROCK, shown on Sky Arts TV this week.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 16:45
There would've been no Yes, ELP, or Crimson without 1-2-3 ?   I doubt that very much.   An influence, which 1-2-3 certainly had, does not mean Lake, Emerson, Squire, Howe, Fripp or anyone else would not have gone on to make the equally innovative albums they did.   No one is responsible for anyone else's work despite an influence here or impact there.   Would there've been no Eddie Van Halen if Jimi Hendrix hadn't existed?   No Jackson Pollock without Picasso, or Star Wars without Star Trek ?   I'm guessing they would all still exist, if perhaps in a slightly different way.

Influential to be sure.   Responsible for a whole movement?   No.

Edited by Atavachron - June 28 2016 at 19:02
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Kay Jay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 05:16
Here is a letter I have submitted to prog magazine..Whether they will publsih we will see. The second half of letter concerns my views on Prog awards...It seems to me the list is based around what the writers go see and listen too...way to narrow..and they get feee tickets to nearly all gigs..I wish!

In response to John Malcolm’s letter about ditching the free CD. I would like to say certainly not. It is the best free disc with any magazine I buy. More fool him I say as the current disc surely has some of what he likes.  Seems a bit reactionary to hear one track he does not like then never bothered again. Anyway it is not often you feature a more extreme band. I have discovered so many great bands from listening to them, and has cost me a bit in buying discs too, but that is what the bands featured want. I am already big fan of Mystery and Delusion Rain is a 10 minute classic. The following Panic Room track is more sublime Prog and that band need support going by Glyn Barnes letter in same issue. I have ‘Skin’ and it is excellent The addition of guitarist Dave Foster has made the band even better. The third track by Proud Peasant is another classic (albeit a cover) I could go on as this is a great disc, Prog magazine CD’s are the only ones I get which I play several times over. The likes of Classic Rock ones normally get one listening.

I also have a criticism of the PMA nominations being  too restrictive. So many London gigs nominated for gig of the year, great if you live in London, but what about the world wide readers who have  no chance of getting to these shows. I live in Bristol and see occasional gigs in London, usually when a band is not playing here, but the expense can be a bit prohibitive. I saw Steven Wilson in Bristol but cannot vote for that! Why not just have Steven Wilson’s tour? I saw King Crimson in Cardiff so the only one eligible to vote for, or is Night of the Prog 2015 a specific gig? Must say I do not know any of the Limelight acts so a hard one to vote for. And I listen to helluva lot of music.

Prog is still the best mag out there though!

Keith Shapland

Bristol

PS. Tame Imapla’ Currents is never prog ..why not have the Pet Shop Boys in your magazine too as sounds similar to me. (I note Tame Imapla are not on Prog archives, therefore not prog at all)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>