Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg in the year 2016: Where are we at now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in the year 2016: Where are we at now?
    Posted: June 16 2016 at 05:12
Some 45 years after the birth of progressive rock, where are we at right now? What's good or bad about the current prog scene? How do think digital pirating has affected prog? Has prog become "more outré or progressive" now that record executives no longer drive the artist's direction? And the vinyl craze. Has prog benefitted from the new remixes, remasters and audio restorations of vinyl (some of which transfers to digital mediums)? Or do you feel it's just a cash cow for the vinyl reissuing companies?

Prog in 2016: Where do you think we're at right now?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 07:47
Still waiting for Infernal.....
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 08:57
No reason to complain and nothing to fear, alive and well and living in...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 11:52
Hello Steve.....
I don't really know what the current state of prog is....I tend to listen to the older stuff and only occasionally buy new modern prog bands. But it seems like there are plenty of those around and plenty here who are into prog these days.
I don't see the area in general getting much bigger since as always the public goes for pop and mainstream music....but with the internet the prog that is around certainly is getting more exposure.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Ier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:27
I think prog is doing pretty well. A lot of new prog out there since it's more easy to share your music to the outside world (social media in particular). No need to wait for the right record deal, but now you're completely depending on other things.

Well, even Steven Wilson had to put his music on several streaming websites. https://www.facebook.com/notes/steven-wilson/steven-wilson-talks-streaming/1160792253941035
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 14:27
I am quite content with the position Prog is in. I listen to anything from any era, and the modern stuff...some of it is excellent (got the new Gandalf's Fist release and love it). I am like a Prog Evangelist...just keep introducing and promoting it to others. 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 04:39
I know exactly where I am - 6 miles North of York. But I don't know exactly how fast I'm moving due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Seriously, we're in 2016 with lots of great prog still being made. Still a niche market, but better that than being like One Direction, Adele, Kanye "can't sing for s**t" West and Justin f*****g Bieber.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 05:13
I'm a bit surprised that no one mentioned the of rash artists from prog and other genres that have passed away recently. To me, personally, prog in 2016 seems like the year of the fallen artist. Aside from that, all is the same as ever.
I'm not going to post much in the PA discussion forums as I feel that I've said all that I can say about prog and other topics in the past. But I would like to suggest that members that have never seen icons such as Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel, and bands like King Crimson and Marillion do so, if possible. I know that a majority of PA members have already, but for those that haven't, well, time waits for no one.

Enjoy these living treasures if you can.

Steve

Edited by SteveG - June 17 2016 at 05:44
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 11:58
I think prog is doing reasonably well, though there is quite some stagnation and retromania just as everywhere in popular music. There is no shortage of new bands, even if most of them sound much like bands that have been around earlier. There are good labels specializing in prog and related genres. Sure, prog albums rarely show up in the album charts, and prog artists no longer sell out big arenas, but I probably speak for many of us here when I say that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Regarding those that have passed away - I don't want to be impious, but people like Keith Emerson or Chris Squire were past their heyday, and if a genre's future seems to depend on such veterans, that future seems cloudy. I don't feel that this is the case with prog!

What bugs me, though, is that the hipster press, while new directions in prog are not much in sight, have adopted the custom of calling bands such as Motorpsycho, Mastodon or Tool "prog rock" who are IMHO only marginally prog. Or is it just me that I am unable to follow the course prog has taken lately?

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 13:08
Hey Steve
I'm kinda good with prog today......I just read your OP and first thought was how many artists we have lost this year and we are just half thru 2016. Cry

There are tons IMO, new artists that people are calling "prog", which is fine by me. Some of the music, if not most, sounds very common nothing incredibly too exciting but its new bands trying to find their house sound. Some I hope stick to it and work thru this process.

Like most I will always listen to the old but I really like some of the new'ish music too, kinda artists that might be NOS (new old stock LOL), Steven Wilson, Marillion, IQ, Riverside......

I love the vinyl reissues coming out, especially the remix issues ie: The Can (these are glorious!!), KC, Rush, Peter Gabriel, Marillion.......The original issues on vinyl sound pretty good most of them, except for KC, but some of these the new remix has brought out different angles and tidbits I never noticed on original issues, and for me the better audio gear of today is helping me hear detail and alivenessErmm, that I did not hear in the past.

So over all I am pretty happy with prog today.
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 02:23
Prog is as dead as it was 30 years ago. Some folks try to revive the dead and only thing they get is kitsch, which doesn't give anything new to the genre, as everything that was to be discovered in prog was discovered.

Edited by Affek - June 18 2016 at 02:24
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 04:46
We are still waiting for more prog metal to come out.

Progressive metal: 1984 -- at least 2094

There are too many ideas that are yet to be expressed in the language of metal.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 05:49
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

Prog is as dead as it was 30 years ago. Some folks try to revive the dead and only thing they get is kitsch, which doesn't give anything new to the genre, as everything that was to be discovered in prog was discovered.

Depends on exactly what you mean by "prog" I suppose.  But taking a broad view of progressive music I'd say it's never been in better health.  There's exciting, fun and original music being made all over the place if you want to seek it out with open mind and eager ears Smile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 07:24
Like Jazz, Blues, Country and many other genres, progressive music has turn into a "specialty" enjoyed by a few, and unknown to many. True, everyone knows that jazz, blues, classical, etc are all about, and hardly know what prog, or progressive music is. Most people will identify it as rock, or classic rock, but know very little about it's inner details (sub-genres) and other details, statistics, artists, etc, that it fans enjoy.
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 08:05
Mascodagama, the only truly progressive artist nowadays is Death Grips. These guys push boundaries forward and forward, as they really ARE something new. The rest is just using the same ideas, again and again.
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 08:06
I think prog is pretty healthy these days, there aren't the mainstream superstars there were in the 70's. That era to me is pretty dead though there are bands playing similar styles or being deliberately retro. I do like and buy some of those. There are loads of wonderful young bands exploring interesting and entertaining areas out there. I'm loving it. Avant, Electronic, Fusion/Nu Jazz, Psyche & Prog Metal seem particularly strong these days. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 12:39

Mascodagama, the only truly progressive artist nowadays is Death Grips. These guys push boundaries forward and forward, as they really ARE something new. The rest is just using the same ideas, again and again.

I don't agree, but I've been on the Internet for long enough that I don't expect to change the mind of anyone in possession of such certainty.

Death Grips is pretty rad though, no argument there.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 16:16

Everything that was to be discovered in Prog was discovered? As an amateur guitarist I find this view dreadful and demoralizing. Even if true, it should (and will) be made untrue.

Well then...not everything was discovered, it seems.

Edited by HackettFan - June 18 2016 at 16:18
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 16:51

Oh ok, so Dalek never existed?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 16:54

You need to get out more.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>