Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Your Music Collection Is Organised

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 14:58
Here's my system: my music collection is divided into months, in which given albums were issued. And so, in Julies I take out a batch of albums which became available in July, and listen to them within the month of July. Just as if I have only bought them. Just as it was intended by the artist/publisher (for instance Yes insisted on their Going For The One to be issued on 7/7/77). Next month - next batch - Augusts, etc. This way all albums from my collection are being served equally over a year and also they (albums) bond with seasons of the year. You know how it is whey some albums feel more wintery and others more summery. The register of all albums is being kept on spreadsheet.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 15:00
I sort my music collection first by format (CD, Cassette, Vinyl), then by genre, then each genre's respective artists alphabetically. 
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 16:48
Alphabetical by artist, going by first names and/or articles (even for individual's names), with "The" as the only exception.  Then chronologically within an artist.  That's it.   I don't categorize by genres or anything like that.  Anything else I've tried in the past has just turned into a big mess where I couldn't find stuff.

I used to alphabetize "library style"--so for individuals, by their last names, no articles counted, etc., but I changed once I started using computers more.  The only reason I still ignore "The" is just because there are so many of them.

Edited by Terrapin Station - July 25 2016 at 16:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123