Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your favourite books/TV/films from your country
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour favourite books/TV/films from your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 08:36
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Books:
Marko Tapio: Arktinen Hysteria I & II
Veijo Meri: Manillaköysi
Anu Kaipainen: Arkkienkeli Oulussa
Aleksis Kivi: Seitsemän Veljestä
Kauko Röyhkä: Kaksi Aurinkoa
Joni Skiftesvik: Pystyyn Haudattu

Movies:
Aki Kaurismäki: Mies Vailla Menneisyyttä
Mika Kaurismäki: Tyttökuningas
Mika Rättö: Samurai Rauni Reposaarelainen

I like both brothers, but Aki is one of about three living directors who I'd consider favorites.
-Shadows in Paradise
-Ariel
-Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatiana
-The Bohemian Life

Matti Pellonpaa is one of my favorite actors, and I'm always trying to find movies with him in it by the brothers, but maybe in the future.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 10:25
Catch 22......................... Joseph Heller
Sirens of Titan.................. Kurt Vonnegut
Blood Meridian ..................Cormac McCarthy
Moby Dick.........................Herman Melville
A Confederacy of Dunces...John Kennedy Toole
The Sound and Fury..........William Faulkner 
Infinite Jest.......................David Foster Wallace
The Long Goodbye.............Raymond Chandler
IT.....................................Stephen King
Boys Life...........................Robert McCammon 
The Terror ........................Dan Simmons
The Narrows......................Ronald Malfi
Hyperion Series..................Dan Simmons
Breakfast of Champions......Kurt Vonnegut
Picture This.......................Joseph Heller
The Wisdom of Insecurity...Alan W. Watts
Personality Types Enneagram... Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 10:51
Thanks for reviving this; really great to see what people like and to notice so much that I love in people's lists. Kurt Vonnegut is one of my absolute favourite authors, and I have quite the Stephen King collection. I think that if I were to choose one King it would be his collaboration with Peter Straub, The Talisman. My first of his was Pet Cemetary. I love his Bachman Books and read Rage and The Long Walk especially many times over back in the day. Catch 22 is one of my wife's very favourite novels, and she hot me into Cormac McCarthy (starting with The Road which gave me nightmares).

As for Aki Kaurismäki, he was of my favourite directors too for a number of films. I haven't seen anything of his in years. The, to use the English, Man Without a Past film I loved.

Edited by Logan - March 08 2018 at 11:02
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 11:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Thanks for reviving this; really great to see what people like and to notice so much that I love in people's lists. Kurt Vonnegut is one of my absolute favourite authors, and I have quite the Stephen King collection. I think that if I were to choose one King it would be his collaboration with Peter Straub, The Talisman. My first of his was Pet Cemetary. I love his Bachman Books and read Rage and The Long Walk especially many times over back in the day. Catch 22 is one of my wife's very favourite novels, and she hot me into Cormac McCarthy (starting with The Road which gave me nightmares).

As for Aki Kaurismäki, he was of my favourite directors too for a number of films. I haven't seen anything of his in years. The, to use the English, Man Without a Past film I loved. My grandfather was from Finland, by the way (but he spoke Swedish). My dad spoke Finnish cause he was trained in it for military intelligence work.

I totally read you.  I've read Vonnegut and King "wall to wall".  Pet Cemetary may be King's scariest novel.  "The Long Walk" is wonderful.  Never met a Vonnegut or Heller novel I didn't like.  You must have a peach of a wife!  What's the catch?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 11:03
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

As for Aki Kaurismäki, he was of my favourite directors too for a number of films. I haven't seen anything of his in years. The, to use the English, Man Without a Past film I loved. My grandfather was from Finland, by the way (but he spoke Swedish). My dad spoke Finnish cause he was trained in it for military intelligence work.

I totally read you.  I've read Vonnegut and King "wall to wall".  Pet Cemetary may be King's scariest novel.  "The Long Walk" is wonderful.  Never met a Vonnegut or Heller novel I didn't like.  You must have a peach of a wife!  What's the catch?

The only Catch is that we've been together for 22 years.

Seriously, I got lucky, but she could have done much better.

Edited by Logan - March 08 2018 at 11:07
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 11:23
TV: La Petite Vie

Film: Elvis Gratton - Le king des Kings

Book:
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 11:48
I guess Austrian books don't count, so Kafka, Meyrink and Kubin are out.

Books:

Gisbert Haefs - Troja (German for "Troy"; it is a novel).
Hermann Hesse - Der Steppenwolf.
Erich Maria Remarque - Der Funke Leben ("Spark of Life")
Irmtraud Morgner - Leben und Abenteuer der Trobadora Beatriz nach Zeugnissen ihrer Spielfrau Laura ("The Life and Adventures of Trobadora Beatrice as Chronicled by Her Minstrel Laura").
Stefan Heym - Der König David Bericht ("The King David Report").

Morgner and Heym are authors from the former GDR and wrote their novels in the 70s.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 12:38

As for Aki Kaurismäki, he was of my favourite directors too for a number of films. I haven't seen anything of his in years. The, to use the English, Man Without a Past film I loved.
I am really big King-fan, I have read all his books that are translated into Finnish, just read his latest book (End Of Watch). My favourite is the Dark Tower-series. Also liked Vonnegut, my favourite from him is Slaughterhouse 5.

About Kaurismäki, he made his latest movie last year, named the Other Side Of Hope. Haven´t seen it. Man Without a past is also my favourite from him.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 13:04
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I am really big King-fan, I have read all his books that are translated into Finnish, just read his latest book (End Of Watch). My favourite is the Dark Tower-series. Also liked Vonnegut, my favourite from him is Slaughterhouse 5.

About Kaurismäki, he made his latest movie last year, named the Other Side Of Hope. Haven´t seen it. Man Without a past is also my favourite from him.

I should out Kaurismäki's latest. I read about it because of it showing at the Vancouver International Film Festival as I recall. He's commonly considered to be one of the greatest living film directors (well, especially in Art House film circles). Love the Dark Tower series. I love everything Ive read that is Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse 5 is terrific. Sirens of Titan was at one time my favourite when asked. I was obsessed with Kurt Vonnegut, Phillip K. Dick and Stanislaw Lem at one time (those authors are interlocked in my mind as I was heavily into those three at the same time in my life).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2018 at 13:16
^It was my high school times when I read Vonnegut last time. I think with the Slaughterhouse I read then Player Piano, the Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, Cat´s Cradle & God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. I really loved those all, but since then I haven´t read him. I am now reading Solzhenitsyn (you know I really love also some Russian writers, also Bulgakov, Gogol, Dostoyevsky)  First Circle, then I am going to read book about Leonard Cohen, but after those books I think I will read some Vonnegut!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12