Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Info on Marillion Release - FEAR (Sep 23)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Info on Marillion Release - FEAR (Sep 23)
    Posted: June 21 2016 at 10:11
Prog magazine has a new interview with Marillion frontman Steve Hogarth that reveals a few details about the band's fall release:

Marillion have tackled issues without preaching to their audience on 18th album FEAR, says Steve Hogarth.

The abbreviation stands for f**k Everyone And Run – but the frontman insists they’re not trying to offend people needlessly.

It’s to be released on September 23, just before the band launch a North American tour, followed by UK and European dates.

Hogarth says: “We’ve used ‘FEAR’ as a title with some relish, but only as it shows we haven’t shied away.

“It’s said with sadness. There are two basic impulses behind human behaviour – love and fear. All the good stuff comes from love.”

Among the tracks are New Kings, which “looks at the ravening beast that capitalism seems to have evolved into,” El Dorado, which “examined the notion of political entitlement,” and The Leavers, which “examines the impact of life on the road for those constantly waving goodbye.”

The album will be available in CD, vinyl, special edition CD, ultimate edition box set and digital versions.

I thought the band's last release, Sounds That Can't Be Made, was one of its lesser efforts, but am hopeful the new disc marks a return to greatness. What say you?

https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 11:33
I recall reading somewhere that this may be the "proggiest" album they have done since Marbles. I can't recall the source. It could have been Prog magazine or it could have been on Facebook. Anyway, a blog post about the album gives a list of working titles for six tracks, plus their running times. Three of them are well over the 10-minute mark.
As quoted from that Blog post:

"Another very different record to anything we've really done before. It's five songs, I think. Maybe only four - we're still trying to finish the fifth one - but they're ten, fifteen minutes long. They're long musical pieces."

Edited by progaardvark - June 21 2016 at 11:35
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:34
This sounds exciting !!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 22:01
I haven't really gotten much into the Hogarth era of the band, but I really liked "Sounds that can't be made" a lot... for very different reasons than why I liked the Fish era. I hope this one comes out really great.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 13:21
I stopped following Marilion a while ago, mainly because the material was not to my taste any longer. I hope they make a come back with this new release.
Project Nightscape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 14:01
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I stopped following Marillion a while ago, mainly because the material was not to my taste any longer. I hope they make a come back with this new release.

It took me some time to adjust to the band's different, more alt-pop/rock bent but I've since grown to enjoy it. If you haven't already, I encourage you to check out a couple of the longer, 'proggier' tracks from Marbles: "Ocean Cloud" and "Neverland."  

https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 14:35
Originally posted by Project Nightscape Project Nightscape wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I stopped following Marillion a while ago, mainly because the material was not to my taste any longer. I hope they make a come back with this new release.

It took me some time to adjust to the band's different, more alt-pop/rock bent but I've since grown to enjoy it. If you haven't already, I encourage you to check out a couple of the longer, 'proggier' tracks from Marbles: "Ocean Cloud" and "Neverland."  

Marbles was the last album l heard, and it really didn't impressed me at all. Not that they are not a good band, it's just that the music is not really my cup of tea.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 16:55
I gave up, for years, on h era Marillion after Afraid Of Sunlight. In the last few years, with many vinyl issues of more recent albums, I gave them a go and realised I've been missing out. This Strange Engine, Marillion.Com and Anoraknophobia are all superb - good mix of decent Pop/Rock and Prog, still proving that they're constantly developing and trying different things. Hats off to the boys.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 18:19
STCBM was a HUGE disappointment to me!

I am really looking forward to FEAR!
firstlensman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 06:46
"The Sounds That Can't Be Made" cannot be considered a 'lesser effort' just for the opening track 'Gaza' alone. The Songs 'Montreal' and 'The Sky Above The Rain' just add to the value of this album. 'Gaza' is just such an immense track. I've played it to people that do not like prog and they are caught up in this epic song too!
First Lensman
"Forever caught in desert lands, one has to learn to disbelieve the sea"
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 07:01
FEAR and The Sounds That Can't Be Made are both not what I seek in music.
The same goes for Radiation.

I am happy to see and read that Marillion are still able to enjoy people. For me, the love is long gone.
Less is More, Marbles, Somewhere Else and Marillion.com  were the last albums I fully enjoyed.
 Post Reply Post Reply