Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello
    Posted: June 21 2016 at 13:53
Hello everyone, I've been visiting this site for about a couple of years now, just haven't really decided to join the forums until now. Anyways, Im from good ole Minnesota and I discovered prog probably around 2011 and 2012. I'm a 22 year old female, and the way I got into prog is I began to get into Phil Collins solo discography (yes, I know, Phil Collins doesn't seem to be well liked around here but idc cuz I love him). I then discovered he was in this little band called Genesis, so I slowly got into the band starting with their latter stuff like Invisible Touch and Genesis and then slowly worked my way to the likes of Selling England by the Pound and Trespass.

I'm a die hard Genesis fan, I love everything they have done and now in 2016 I'm a prog fanatic. There is always so much to discover and I know I'm a lost cause. I love the music, the musicians, and the community seems great. Other groups I love are Brand X, Yes, Camel, Focus, PFM, Gentle Giant, etc. I am mostly into Symphonic and Fusion. Anyways, I hope to get to know some people around and have a great time.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:04
welcome to PA!  Most of the natives are friendly. 
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:17
Thanks for the welcome, I'll have to see if the natives are as friendly as you say Wink
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:09
Welcome to PA! Clap I'm from Minnesota myself. Although I was only born there, I moved soon after.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

the way I got into prog is I began to get into Phil Collins solo discography (yes, I know, Phil Collins doesn't seem to be well liked around here but idc cuz I love him).
Ooh.  Them be fighting words!!!!  LOLBig smileWink  I am actually pro-Phil as well.   Nothing wrong with knowing what you like in your wardrobe, so to speak.  Welcome to PA.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 18:32
Nothing wrong with Phil Collins' pop music, if you like (I do like some it -  In the Air Tonight and Take Me Home are great songs).  Don't listen if anyone gives you grief for it.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 19:14
Welcome aboard, have fun and try not to spend too much.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 21:53
Thanks for all the replies. I must say that the whole not spending too much is really difficult. I see more and more stuff that I need to get lol. It'll never end.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 22:06
Get out while you can.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 01:48
Will find more pleasure via PA library. Welcome. Cool
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 06:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Get out while you can.

I can't help myself. 
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 18:19
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Get out while you can.

I think that ship has long sailed lol
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 05:28
If on your fist post I changed location, gender and Genesis/PC for Pink Floyd that could be my introduction Tongue 
I hope you're listening to PFM in Italian Smile 

Welcome and enjoy your stay Thumbs Up
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 10:15
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

If on your fist post I changed location, gender and Genesis/PC for Pink Floyd that could be my introduction Tongue 
I hope you're listening to PFM in Italian Smile 

Welcome and enjoy your stay Thumbs Up

Oh course I'm listening to PFM in italian, Their second album, Per Un Amico, is my personal favorite. One of my top 3 favorite albums.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 10:40
^ That's great! "Per Un Amico" would certainly be on mine too, along with Quarteto 1111's last album... and waaaaaaay too many albums for the third spot LOL Maybe "Nursery Cryme"? Wink
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 11:18

Thanks for all the replies. I must say that the whole not spending too much is really difficult. I see more and more stuff that I need to get lol. It'll never end.

Hmm,,,where have I heard that before? Smile

Welcome to the forum.

Can you comment on some of your symphonic and fusion choices?
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 18:00
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Hmm,,,where have I heard that before? Smile

Welcome to the forum.

Can you comment on some of your symphonic and fusion choices?

Oh, come on, I'm sure I'm the only who has said that Wink.

Anyways, with fusion, I kind of stumbled upon it through Brand X because obviously Phil Collins was in it, and it just kind of went from there. I'm not fully into jazz music, in fact, I absolutely hated jazz growing up, but I have now gained a huge appreciation for jazz within a rock context. Besides Brand X, I'm also really into Return to Forever, Weather Report, U.K.'s first LP, Bill Bruford's early albums, Allan Holdsworth, a couple of Jan Akkerman LPs too. I'm also discovering some great fusion from other countries like Kenso from Japan and Arti e Mesteiri, D.F.A., and Area from Italy. I also enjoy some of Zappa's more fusion related albums like Hot Rats and the Grand Wazoo, but overall I'm not a huge fan of his work. One big fusion group that I just seem to have a hard time getting into is Mahavishnu Orchestra, which is a shame but maybe someday. Also, my favorite fusion album has to be Brand X's Moroccan Roll. The thing that I love about fusion is that it just puts me in a great mood because it's upbeat and fun.

And then with Symphonic prog, my favorite go to's are probably the ones I mentioned already, Yes's classic albums, Genesis, Focus's first four LPs, Camel's first LP all the way through Breathless, Flower King's first official LP, Harmonium, PFM comes across as quite symphonic too. I've also been on a huge Banco del Mutuo Soccorso kick as of lately. I will say that the big symphonic group I do not enjoy is ELP. I just don't like that kind of sound like even bands who sound like ELP such as Le Orme or Triumvirat, are just not my thing.

Anyways, I could probably go on a little bit more but I think that's probably good for now, anyways, are you yourself a fan of these two genres? If so, what do you enjoy? And if not, then what is your thing?

Edited by BunBun - June 30 2016 at 18:02
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 02:49
^  I've always been a fan of 70s Jazz/Rock/Fusion and Brand X was a good thing for you to stumble upon. Return To Forever "Romantic Warrior" and "Where Have I Known You Before" are favorites as well as some of the solo albums like Al Di Meola "Land Of The Midnight Sun" and "Elegant Gypsy" and also Stanley Clarke "Journey To Love" with Jeff Beck adding guitar to a few tracks.
When it comes to Allan Holdsworth I like "Bundles" by Soft Machine, "Expresso" by Gong, "Believe It" and "Million Dollar Legs" by New Tony Williams Lifetime. 
Also by Soft Machine there is "Softs" with John Etheridge on guitar.
Isotope with guitarist Gary Boyle played high energy. instrumental J/R/F.
If you see a pattern here it's because I do favor guitar when it comes to this type a music.

I spent less time listening to symphonic than I did fusion but I liked the early Camel albums and some Focus and PFM. Some others were Earth And Fire, Amos Key, Novalis and Sebastian Hardie. 
(Don't tell anyone but I never got into ELP).
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^  I've always been a fan of 70s Jazz/Rock/Fusion and Brand X was a good thing for you to stumble upon. Return To Forever "Romantic Warrior" and "Where Have I Known You Before" are favorites as well as some of the solo albums like Al Di Meola "Land Of The Midnight Sun" and "Elegant Gypsy" and also Stanley Clarke "Journey To Love" with Jeff Beck adding guitar to a few tracks.
When it comes to Allan Holdsworth I like "Bundles" by Soft Machine, "Expresso" by Gong, "Believe It" and "Million Dollar Legs" by New Tony Williams Lifetime. 
Also by Soft Machine there is "Softs" with John Etheridge on guitar.
Isotope with guitarist Gary Boyle played high energy. instrumental J/R/F.
If you see a pattern here it's because I do favor guitar when it comes to this type a music.

I spent less time listening to symphonic than I did fusion but I liked the early Camel albums and some Focus and PFM. Some others were Earth And Fire, Amos Key, Novalis and Sebastian Hardie. 
(Don't tell anyone but I never got into ELP).

Sorry it took me a few days to reply, anyways, You mentioned a few albums ill need to check out like Stanley Clarkes's Journey to Love, and I have yet to get into soft machine, but ill need to give them another good listen down the road. Also, i did start to notice the guitar pattern, do you play guitar yourself at all?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 12:28
^  The albums I mentioned are some of my favorites and you should be able to find a few things in that batch that you like. There were a lot of good J/R/F albums that came out in the seventies.
Yes, I do play guitar and you can see some of my guitars in the Musicians: List Your Equipment section.

When you get around to it you might listen to DFA, Iceberg and Electric Outlet.  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>