Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Obscure Prog Band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Obscure Prog Band?
    Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:09
What is your favorite obscure prog band?
For me, its the German prog band "Eloy". They have released several amazing albums, such as "Oceans", "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes", and "Dawn". Some of my other favorites would include Gentle Giant and Camel, both of which have had some amazing stuff released.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:18
Hmm, not sure I'd really call Eloy "obscure"; they have quite a large following on this site. But then again, that is just on this site! LOL

I'd say that my favourite obscure band would be Rayuela, a folk/fusion outfit from Argentina that released one album in the late 70's. The album isn't groundbreaking at all, but it's very competently-performed, the solos are soulful but intelligent, and they know how to do romance in prog like no one else. Overall I'd say that "Rayuela" is one of my top 10 albums, if not top 5. 

Some other less famous bands that I really love, but may not necessarily be considered obscure on this site, are Bubu, Maneige, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Finch, Amenophis, Syrinx, and Arco Iris.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:21
Whooh, that is a tough one, inn'it.   Morgan (UK), Cartoon (US), Yezda Urfa (US) Finch (NL) to name a few.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:38
For would be: Arco Iris(Argentina),  Marco Antonio Araujo(Brazil), The Winstons(Italy), AG A.M(Germany), and many others...
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 20:26
None of them are around anymore but these are some great bands that are kind of obscure:

Carol of Harvest - one beautiful psych/folk album that missed its era by about five years.

Cerberus Shoal - several outstanding Avant records. Also some duds but you take the good with the bad when it comes to Avant.

Faun Fables - husband & wife wyrd folk, they're busy raising a bunch of kids these days.

Justine - one really original and engaging folk revival album laced with psych and a little pop, then obscurity and some tragedy.

Sad Minstral - a thoroughly likeable and engaging Italian guy that for some reason only managed one record, but one that has no bad songs at all.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 02:36
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Faun Fables - husband & wife wyrd folk, they're busy raising a bunch of kids these days.

I've seen them live last summer - they were really good! I also got to talk to them for a few minutes, they were such nice people!

Comus (although it gets a lot of love recently, it has become fashionable to listen to Comus)
East Of Eden (their work Snafu is probably one of my Top 5 albums)
Mighty Baby
Pazop
T2
Tortilla Flat
Beggar's Opera
Broselmaschine

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 02:51
The Red Masque

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 08:33
Though they were not accepted as prog by PA, I would say my favourite obscure prog band is 

Giger Lenz Marron

-consisting of former Dzyan members Peter Giger on drums and percussion and guitarist Eddy Marron, with jazz bassist Gunter Lenz. They are really something, some fusion beyond the ordinary!

Edited by presdoug - June 26 2016 at 12:35
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 09:38
Obscure? Tai Phong of course.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 14:08
Don't think I have a single favorite obscure band.....but I really enjoy the early 70's  Brit proto/prog and prog bands like.....Spring , Fantasy, Beggars Opera, Web, Cressida, Titus Groan, Ton Ton Macoute, .....if anyone has any names of obscure ones from that genre please list them....I'm always looking for any I might have  missed.

Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HosiannaMantra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 14:15
Samurai, East of Eden, Triade, Sfinx, Beggars Opera, Eiliff, Ragnarök, Kebnekajse, Fläsket Brinner, MIA, Crucis, Piirpauke, In Spe, Jukka Tolonen

Edited by HosiannaMantra - June 26 2016 at 14:16
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 15:23
Just off the top of my head:

Clouds
Aksak Maboul
Etron Fou Leloublan
Los Jaivas
Bark Psychosis
Dreadnaught
Las Orejas Y La Lengua
Nimh
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 17:31
Split Enz
User Banned for this Post
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 17:51
the Beggars are making quite a few lists, almost put them myself -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 19:33
Pink Floyd. I wish more people knew about this totally cool band. They deserved more than they got
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 20:23
^ Hey if Floyd can have money problems anyone can -

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 21:19
Ritual.

Go buy The Hemulic Voluntary Band.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 03:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Don't think I have a single favorite obscure band.....but I really enjoy the early 70's  Brit proto/prog and prog bands like.....Spring , Fantasy, Beggars Opera, Web, Cressida, Titus Groan, Ton Ton Macoute, .....if anyone has any names of obscure ones from that genre please list them....I'm always looking for any I might have  missed.

Smile

How about the band Circus featuring Mel Collins?

Here the whole album:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 03:19
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Smile

Myself, I would like to recommend Mighty Baby. This is as funky as prog/psych gets! Smile

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 03:32
TORTILLA FLAT

Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnT5ffjM2Go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>