Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Obscure Prog Band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 08:45
I'd have to go with Van Der Graaf Generator. I guess you can call most of their albums obscure.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 09:12
VDGG...obscure....?   Don't let the Hammill fans hear you say that.
LOL

To the other mentions.....love that 'Mighty Baby' album and the 'Circus' (1969) one also....those early prog things really are fun to listen to.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 10:25
so many of my favourite prog bands are "obscure"
will try to write more later
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 10:38
Oh, and Satanique Samba Trio is another band that i'm love right now :D
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 11:28
Out of the hundreds I could have mentioned for some reason I felt like mentioning pioneering but overlooked US proggers McLuhan. Anomaly is an  amazing/bizarre progrock-opera of sorts and somehow sounds distinctly american.

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 11:48
Depends what you consider obscure. Magic Pie, Le Orme, Anekdoten or Anglagard are obscure for the general population but not for prog fans. Hell, even Van der Graaf Generator or Gentle Giant are obscure for non-prog fans (and if I ask most of my friends Yes and ELP are "obscure"). Well, I think it's Sebastian Hardie although they're not that obscure really. But even among prog fans I don't see it mentioned that often and they're pretty good.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 11:52
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Depends what you consider obscure. Magic Pie, Le Orme, Anekdoten or Anglagard are obscure for the general population but not for prog fans. Hell, even Van der Graaf Generator or Gentle Giant are obscure for non-prog fans (and if I ask most of my friends Yes and ELP are "obscure"). Well, I think it's Sebastian Hardie although they're not that obscure really. But even among prog fans I don't see it mentioned that often and they're pretty good.

Yep...obscure is a relative term depending on the population of listeners you are referring to.

Sebastian Hardie is obscure even to some prog fans....I did not learn about them until about 10 years ago.

Going to ck out Magic Pie.....someone told me they were good.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 18:30
Koi from Sweden
Bubu from Argentina
Ezra Winston and Asgard from Italy
The Vow and Martigan from Germany
Moria Falls from UK
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 18:35
Gotta go with Plat Du Jour from who's sole release from 1977 might be my favourite of that year. Another would be Archaia also from that year for some strange reason. Love those two bands.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 20:11
Hard to imagine what I have that would be considered obscure here

Karenautas - Argentinian Chamber Rock
The Nerve Institute - solo angular avant
Pikapika Teart - Siberian Chamber Rock
Upsilon Acrux - Brutal prog
Reve General - Volapuk spin off
The Future Kings Of England - the greatest Space Rock band that no-one knows
SKE - Yugen keyboardist solo album

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 20:59
Oh, I don't know...Captain Beyond?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 23:08
http://thesoundofsincerity.bandcamp.com
The Sound Of Sincerity is neat. Proggy post-hardcore.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Nawlinstoo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nawlinstoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 08:23
HooffootWink
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 08:27
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Gotta go with Plat Du Jour from who's sole release from 1977 might be my favourite of that year. Another would be Archaia also from that year for some strange reason. Love those two bands.

Those are great picks
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 10:44
-Advent
- Gandalf's Fist
- Seven Steps to the Green Door
-Tea Club
-IO Earth
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 14:08
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 18:19
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Faun Fables - husband & wife wyrd folk, they're busy raising a bunch of kids these days.

I've seen them live last summer - they were really good! I also got to talk to them for a few minutes, they were such nice people!

I'm sure they're nice people, would love to see a concert if I ever get the chance.  They're going to be in New York in July but unfortunately I'll be traveling Cry
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 19:18
Buon Vecchio Charlie, Bauhaus, Osanna (RPI)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 19:19

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Faun Fables - husband & wife wyrd folk, they're busy raising a bunch of kids these days.

I've seen them live last summer - they were really good! I also got to talk to them for a few minutes, they were such nice people!

I'm sure they're nice people, would love to see a concert if I ever get the chance.  They're going to be in New York in July but unfortunately I'll be traveling Cry

I saw them last year, really good gig, had their kids running around at the front with the child minder. Really liked the atmosphere.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 21:02
Esperanto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>