Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Song reviews of bands we don't like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nat health Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 16:27
After one listen of each track, I think we're on the same page. On more subdued tracks such as these, Hammill takes it down a notch and doesn't overwhelm.  Very listenable, and the bass in particular is great. 
All the more frustrating, then, when the music gets denser (darker if you will),as with the beginning of "Arrow" from Godbluff, and then Hammill reverts to a bitchy Rod McKuen.  Just kinda kills the mood for me.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 20:13
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

^^Here's an Anathema song for you. Mind you, I only like their early doom metal stuff like this.

As for me, I don't really like Genesis.

Well, I'm generally not a huge doom metal fan, but this is definitively better than their later "prog" stuff. The clean part reminds me of The Cure, and those growls sound quite atmospheric and powerful, and although I'm not a huge fan of growling vocals they fit quite nice, much better than later Evanescence-like harmonies. It's not spectacular, but all the parts are rhythmically interesting, well tied together and solidly performed. And that sludgy production works much better than those "Holywood spectacle" aesthetics that ruined Anathema as well as many other contemporary metal acts for me. Big smile

Glad you found that early doom track interesting, I wish their early stuff got more recognition. Tongue
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HosiannaMantra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 17:40
Oh, sorry, and a Genesis song for you:

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 22:48
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

Oh, sorry, and a Genesis song for you:

Genesis is one of those bands where I enjoy some of their songs, but for every song I like there seems to be 10 songs that I don't. This was a pretty decent song, I liked the sort of early Deep Purple-vibe it had going on in places minus the heavy guitars of the aforementioned band. Also their kind of symphonic sound works better in a shorter format to my ears, as I don't get bored with it like I do on a lot of their more well-known stuff. Smile

So now do I just wait for another person to say a band they don't like?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 13:20
Or say another band yourself if you want.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:05
I'd love to love Pink Floyd, but every time I listen to them, I fall asleep. Embarrassed Same with TD.Embarrassed

I really hate neo prog Evil Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:10
Oh I forgot the last Radiohead ! I didn't expect such a powerful sleeping drug. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe Godbluff would be a good one to find a suitable track for Nat's wants. No, I hadn't listened to early Spock's Beard (or barely). Only album I have had of Spock's Beard is Snow, and Spock's Beard was recommended specifically to me back then because I was a Gentle Giant fan, and the album just didn't meet my expectations, unlike say Et Cetera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tOes0y2hQ, but it's not like I requested a clone. I discovered another modern band back that had some of the same spirit back then called Miriodor, also from Quebec, that exceeded any expectations.
I have these two you mentioned and the first two and I prefer much more the later, the GG influences are more evident on these ones too, in my opinion. I never heard Et Cetera before, awesome music Thumbs Up

Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I'd love to love Pink Floyd, but every time I listen to them, I fall asleep. Embarrassed Same with TD.Embarrassed
What's wrong with that? It's great music to fall asleep Tongue What do you think of this one?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 05:41
Oh it's brutal ! I'm going to fall asleep all of a sudden  Wink
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altaeria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 08:26
For the person (people) who dislike (haven't yet appreciated) 
Van Der Graaf Generator ... 

Please listen to the ENTIRE song before you judge. 
Remember-- We're dealing with Prog music here.  Wink  

Edited by altaeria - July 05 2016 at 08:28
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 09:39

Magma America Great Make Again
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 09:41

Radiohead ! I didn't expect such a powerful sleeping drug. 

Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 09:55
I still listen to Kid A & Amnesiac with a great pleasure. But Moon ... I got lost in Nigel Godrich's fog.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've often thought that it would be an interesting exercise to review albums by bands that I dislike, but sitting through a whole album by a band that I dislike and then having to review it would not be fun (to be honest, I don't even much like reviewing albums I love). I've also often thought that it would be neat to hear more in-depth commentary about music that people dislike.

This is what I went by. I thought that a lot of what you wrote after that was trying to make excuses for what you wrote, and what it supposedly meant.

I am a writer. I'm honest with my feelings and myself. I do my best to ensure that my words do not mis-represent what I am trying to say, but the one thing, you can not state, is that I am not honest about my feelings, and going around saying that you are this or that, or Dean, or whoever, is pointless and above all, totally counter productive.

In essence, and I understand this as well as you and anyone else, we are all IMPORTANT to this, in our own way, even though sometimes it feels like we're trying to elevate ourselves over the music ... and I do my best NOT to do that.

This is about the art and its form, and I tend to consider that "sacred". Thus, I am not going to say that your child's painting is not Picasso (of course it's not!), but to go around telling that child that an artist you are not, when you never know how the kid will grow up ... is where I draw the line!

Inspiration is one of the things that is lacking in the arts, and a lot of it, is because we're making many of those folks become "self-conscious" when they are creating and composing things, and the last thing that we want to do is ... stop them, and slow it down to break it and prevent it from being born into fruition.

This is just about a healthy respect for the art form, not a preference for a "song" or an "album".

I saw, sadly enough, on a top FM radio station, in the 70's and early 80's, what some people do to "music", and sometimes, we're doing the same thing here ... and I find that really sad. 

Today, I feel vindicated, as do many other folks along with me, for the attitude by many folks that thought so much music was crap, because they did not like the song ... or understand the album. I can remember when "Crime of the Century" came out ... and no one was playing it ... and my roomie was listening to it prior to going on the air, and he had tears in his eyes ... and he went on, and played the album in its entirety that night, and then repeated some pieces later in the morning ... and the album became a hit a bit after that. And that was just ONE ... of the things that I saw suffer some horrible and disrespectful comments.

I do not go around trashing Lynard Skynard, or the Rolling Stones ... I will poke a slight jab here or there, but in general, they have a right to do the music ... and the only thing that you and I are not doing ... is admitting to ourselves ... that they were able to do the music ... and we did not even try! I did try, and am still trying, and I am writing like crazy ... reviews included ... but I am not going to trash the very hand that feeds my very soul!

Sorry about the length ... but in the end, it is not about finding an excuse to say, things that are un-necessary ... the type of things you would not do to a daughter or son! 

They are all ... my family! And I love and respect them for that! Regardless of how they turned out!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 12:25
I'm still trying to figure out your response, as we do still seem to be talking at cross-purposes.   A lot of what you are saying just doesn't seem to address my intentions at all (but then I'm running off on tangents myself, which is my wont). Would be great to have another voice to bring a level of synthesis or clarity to this particular discussion. It's an interesting philosophical discussion, but I'm trying to fugue out exactly where our ideas are at odds with each-other (I guess it has more to do do with the way we go about it).

Sorry snipping:

Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

This is about the art and its form, and I tend to consider that "sacred". Thus, I am not going to say that your child's painting is not Picasso (of course it's not!), but to go around telling that child that an artist you are not, when you never know how the kid will grow up ... is where I draw the line!

I would not do that, and I'm not sure where you're getting that. Tastes are subjective and I would never say someone is not an artist just because it doesn't appeal to me. In fact, I wouldn't say it at all unless I know that someone had never attempted any kind of art yet claimed to be an artist. I have criticised people who claimed to be experts or knowledgeable about something that they were clearly ignorant about (corrected the assumptions)-- I have never thought that all opinions are equal, informed opinions are worth more. And I don't like it when someone claims that something is bad just because they don't like it (subjectivity vs. objectivity). By saying that I don't care for something is not a judgement on the objective worth of a band, merely its personal worth to me. There's a big difference, but this really is a digression....

I wasn't making excuses, I was trying my best to explain my intent with this topic in my response to you, which was intended to be a positive exercise in re-evaluating our notions of bands and hopefully finding music that we do like from bands that had so far not appealed to our tastes. I discovered more for me to like about Spock's Beard (found music I really do appreciate), but I didn't think that the band was bad or needed improvement (that was not the issue). Yes, they could make changes to appeal more to my tastes, but why would or should they? They have many fans, and are making the music they and many people want them too. Why would I criticize them for that? And the kind of person who would think that someone should stop making music just because it doesn't appeal to their tastes thinks in a very alien way to me. I am a big supporter of freedom of artistic expression even when I may be offended by some of it (in some cases I haven't supported it which sometimes put me at odds with the Civil Liberties association as I felt that it was too harmful). Even freedom of speech, which is such an essential part of a free society and democracy, practically must have its limits.

It goes without saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it's fine to have different tastes. What we like is subjective, but I know that perceptions can shift. Incidentally, the topic title is poor, instead of "Song reviews of bands we don't like", it would have been better expressed as "Reviews of songs by bands that we don't currently appreciate". This would imply better that it may be that we simply haven't delved enough into the music yet or simply have not acquired the taste yet, but want recommendations to maybe find music that we will appreciate (it shows an openness). And when I usually say that I don't like something, I usually try to give reasons why, which is a way of opening myself up to discussion as I am interested and hearing what others have to say, maybe re-evaluating my thoughts, finding a new perspective and insights, and discovering that there's more to something than I thought. It's also a very sociable way to engage people in discussion. I don't say "this sucks, end of story".

For me there is almost always something to like when you dig deep enough, look at it in a certain way, or just look in the right places. No one has trashed anything in this thread or said anything about musicians not having the right to make the kind of music that they want to (no artist needs to please everybody and I think that those who try to are almost certainly bound to fail -- I can respect and appreciate an artist's vision or product without necessarily enjoying it). Those who don't have thick enough skins to take criticism probably won't find success. Not only will it affect their motivation, but they are less likely to be open to learning and self-appraisal (I think some change their vision too much because of others desires, but there's a balance needed in our life's journey).

I'm actually not comfortable formally critiquing music as I haven't an academic background in it (I did do film studies, though, sadly, I didn't get to major in it).

There is nothing here that I would criticize my daughter and son for saying, as I try to teach them to think critically and keep an open mind. Question everything, I say, though my wife rather hates that I tell them that since it would be so much easier if they would follow us more. Sometimes I tell them that ultimately they have to accept certain things as requirements. I'm not religious, but I've loved this: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I tell my children that it's fine not to like something, but not to confuse subjectivity with objectivity (understand issues of taste). I do tell them that they should be polite and thoughtful when talking to people and bringing up criticisms (think about how they react to it and think about what they are trying to say). I rather wish I could pass my kids on to you for a couple days, maybe from you they would find some new perspectives (I wouldn't, because I don't really know you, nor do you know me).

I am critical of what my children produce, but in a constructive way to help them improve, as I would have with my students (but that analogy doesn't really work as I'm not trying to help the musicians to improve, unlike my children). Sometimes musicians, and others, have asked me for advice, and I've been overly critical. I tried to hard to think of things that I thought could be maybe improved -- and then realized how stupid and wrong I was later on. Sometimes in those cases I listened with the wrong ears as I tried to listen too critically which ended up being more about my ego than encouraging and helping others -- it seemed good intentions to me at the time, but the wrong approach. It's like that proverb, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I wish I could find a balance of honesty and piety in writing and in discussion, but I long gave up on the dream of writing professionally (though I do edit other people's writing for a living, which is funny cause I ramble when I write here). I'm not as direct as I often would like to be because I do always fear offending people (part of having a level of social anxiety I suppose).

Anyway, this may be my last post in this thread. I am pleased with the people who have taken part in the exercise.

Edited by Logan - July 11 2016 at 13:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 17:40
Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 00:09

Thumbs Up

It's good to understand the subjective nature of it all. 

All I can tell you is that our house, had a very big library of literature (over 40k books of Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian material) and to this day, I can not look at all this, and think ... it's all crap. We might not like some of it, but in the end, we can not stop anyone's ability from putting it out and sharing it with the public.

The same for music, for which we also had over 3K albums of classical music, with over 200 operas. After a while, there is no such thing as "bad", since ALL OF IT, is just different, though you might like Beethoven better than Stravinsky and I prefer Stravinsky over Beethoven.

To me, it's like going back, and say that this and that by one of those giants is not good. In the end, our comments do not matter at all ... but for me, it goes like this:

Please don't dominate the rap,Jack
If you got nothing new to say
If you please, go back up the track
This train got to run today

Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill
Heard some say: "Better run away"
Others say: "Better Stand still"

Now I don't know, but I been told
It's hard to run with the weight of gold
On the other hand, I've heard it said
It's just as hard with the weight of lead.

have a terrifically wonderful day ... this has been a very nice discussion, even if we might not agree wholeheartedly. I think we're saying almost the same thing.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 00:53
A last word or few. A poem, unfortunately untranslatable in English. I'm a writer too. 

COPIER

Erre l'artiste dans le potager,

Cherche beauté, endives Warhol

Passe en revue les magazines,

S'arrête au seuil, critique,

Lève les yeux au ciel, s'isole,

Se croit à l'abri, dégringole.

Il est couché là, à ses pieds,

Le tableau qu'il vient d'achever,

Cerné de feuilles, comme encadré,

Ombre athlétique de sa pensée.

Se pourrait-il que j'ai copié, rien inventé ?

Le même bleu devant, derrière mes yeux ?

Etrange ressemblance, semblant d'étrangeté.

Est-ce un faux air, suis-je faussaire ?

Où suis-je sampleur comme toi,

Ne me le reproche pas, non, ne me le reproche pas. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 09:36

A last word or few. A poem, unfortunately untranslatable in English. I'm a writer too. 

COPIER

Erre l'artiste dans le potager,

Cherche beauté, endives Warhol

Passe en revue les magazines,

S'arrête au seuil, critique,

Lève les yeux au ciel, s'isole,

Se croit à l'abri, dégringole.

Il est couché là, à ses pieds,

Le tableau qu'il vient d'achever,

Cerné de feuilles, comme encadré,

Ombre athlétique de sa pensée.

Se pourrait-il que j'ai copié, rien inventé ?

Le même bleu devant, derrière mes yeux ?

Etrange ressemblance, semblant d'étrangeté.

Est-ce un faux air, suis-je faussaire ?

Où suis-je sampleur comme toi,

Ne me le reproche pas, non, ne me le reproche pas. 

I can probably give this a go, but it would be rough, very rough, as my French is not up to snuff, but my sister is in Paris, and is an artist and probably can do this real easy ... she works in translations and teaching English and what not around Paris.

I have the same problem with Portuguese, as the verb usage at times is really pushing the levels of understanding, and making it really hard to explain/express in English, however, a bad translation, at times, is better than none. 

Same thing happened on a Camoes poem (Alma Minha Gentil), where the translations are awful, when it might be best to let go the rhyme and meter, and just plain out translate it. At least one would get the better idea of what it is about, instead of having some kind of flowery BS in the translations. My dad's Shakespeare's translations are not exactly literal, but they are closer to the wording, than anything else, as well. Reading them, I can see the difference, but it does not hurt Willie on the stage for my tastes ... the story still comes through, though a few sets of words do not. And somehow, this is what I think of music ... the lyrics might not make it through, but I can close my eyes, and still fly to ANGE, BANCO, AMON DUUL 2 and such, because the music itself is so evocative.
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2016 at 01:28
I can't imagine what would be my record collection if I understood all the languages.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>