FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStereotypes about your country that annoy you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereotypes about your country that annoy you
    Posted: June 29 2016 at 17:17
What are some stereotypes about your country that really annoy you? I will give a few examples for Germany.

1) Germans wear short leather trousers. Wrong. This may be so in rural parts of Bavaria but nowhere else.

2) Germans use the word "Scheisskopf" as an insult.  Wrong, nobody would think of using that word; it is just a literal and false translation of the English "sh*thead". Germans might say "Scheisskerl" (which would literally translate as "sh*tguy" but of course is not an English word) or "Du hast nichts als Scheisse im Kopf" ("you have nothing but sh*t in your head"), but not "Scheisskopf".

3) Germans eat Sauerkraut all the time. Wrong. Germans do eat sauerkraut but not more (probably even less) often than for example beans, peas or carrots.

4) Germans are stiff and have no sense of humour. Wrong. Germans tend to be a little reserved when meeting strangers, but that is more out of politeness. Once you get to know them Germans can be extremely funny.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 29 2016 at 17:17

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 17:43
None really annoy me specifically, but the idea is pretty annoying. We're a 4 million square mile nation of immigrants. That's not exactly the recipe for homogeneity.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - June 30 2016 at 08:39
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 01:45
1. Canadians live in igloos: sometimes, but come late July our igloos melt and we move into Tim Hortons until winter sets in in late August.

2. Canadians drink copious amounts of beer and are always eating back-bacon: Incorrect, we also eat side-bacon.

3. Canadians are polite: What a witless thing to consider. Nincompoopish toomfoolery!, though perhaps I am being too harsh.

4. We all play hockey: most of us just watch hockey on TV from the comfort of our igloos while swigging beer and eating back and side-bacon.

5. We like fish in our drinks: Actually, true. A Caesar is a popular cocktail made with vodka and Clamato (Clamato is a tomato based drink that has clam broth in it). We like to chase it down with beer (while watching hockey in our igloos of course).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 01:56
Oh come on, you guys are hella polite; if "Nincompoopish tomfoolery" is the worst thing you can say, that just proves it.  (And what's this quiet mythology about Canadians and their doughnuts?)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 02:19
Poles drink a lot.
Poles are right-wing and intolerant. Intolerant Poles are basically pretty loud, making everyone think that the whole country is intolerant or agressive. In fact, around 70% of Poles are happy about being in the EU, which is the highest level in the whole EU.
Poles can't speak languages... I guess this one is founded....Tongue

Edited by ALotOfBottle - November 30 2016 at 05:28
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 03:21
Frenchs work less than other people. True, but it has been proved that Frenchs are more productive Wink

All Frenchs buy baguettes and wear a beret... False.

Frenchs can't speak proper English... this one is rather true.

Frenchs go on strike... rather true, especially now
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 03:51
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Frenchs work less than other people. True, but it has been proved that Frenchs are more productive Wink

All Frenchs buy baguettes and wear a beret... False.

Frenchs can't speak proper English... this one is rather true.

Frenchs go on strike... rather true, especially now

Can you relate to stereotypes that French tanks go faster backwards? Tongue Not meaning to be racist or anything, don't get me wrong.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 04:21
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Can you relate to stereotypes that French tanks go faster backwards?

I'm sorry I don't understand the reference or to which stereotype it refers Cry. I swear it's the first time I hear this.

Can somebody explain it to me?

Edited by Modrigue - June 30 2016 at 04:43
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 04:43
It's a poor joke, rather like:

Q: How many gears does a French tank have?
A: 4 reverse and 1 forward, in case the enemy attacks from the rear.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Oh come on, you guys are hella polite; if "Nincompoopish tomfoolery" is the worst thing you can say, that just proves it.  (And what's this quiet mythology about Canadians and their doughnuts?)

I must say, I felt like washing my mouth out with soap after uttering those words. It's no myth about doughnuts, we are a nation of doughnut loving, doughnut slinging people. Threaten to take away our dougnuts and there will be trouble. The right to bear dougnuts is practically a constitutional right, and if it isn't, it should be. Our national anthem here is practically, "You've always got time for Tim Hortons". No joke, I ate three today (well yesterday, since it's almost 3:00 am). Like with coffee, nowadays, we've got the cheap doughnuts for the hoi polloi and the really upscale, gourmet doughnuts for the hoity toity, I want my chocolate truffles made out of real truffles, crowd.

Edited by Logan - June 30 2016 at 05:05
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 04:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Q: How many gears does a French tank have?
A: 4 reverse and 1 forward, in case the enemy attacks from the rear.

Ok, thanks... But I'm really sorry I swear I still honestly don't understand to which stereotype it refers, the relation with Frenchs or why it can be considered racist? It's the first time I hear this joke.

Or maybe this is a stereotype on Frenchs that I didn't know?

Edited by Modrigue - June 30 2016 at 04:49
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 04:55
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Can you relate to stereotypes that French tanks go faster backwards?

I'm sorry I don't understand the reference or to which stereotype it refers Cry. I swear it's the first time I hear this.

Can somebody explain it to me?

It's about a stupid joke that the French soldiers always "defend" or retreat during battles, so they produce tanks, which drive faster backwards than forward.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 05:07
I'm really sorry guys, I can't help you here. It's the very first time I hear this stereotype and I honestly did not knew about it.

BTW, I still don't understand why it can be considered racist...

Edited by Modrigue - June 30 2016 at 05:12
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 05:17
It's not really racist since the French aren't really a race. I'm of French ancestry, by the way. There are a lot of jokes about the French Army retreating and surrendering easily. I don't like them.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 05:30
there are roumers that ther is living and breathing polar bears, parading in Oslo, which is false. Only place for polar bears in Norway is on Svalbard. some miles of the coast of Finnmark.

Norwegian are not born with skiies on their legs, its just a saying which makes every young Norwegian being forced wether they like it or not, to partake in cross-country activities, to become the new Northug or Dælie

Norwegian doesnt like to talk to complete strangers, that is partly true, we look down, even in a almost empty buss, if one sits in fronts, one walks headfirst to the far back, or sits in an empty seat. not looking or says hi to the other person

Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 05:32
^^Ok... I learned something today...

BTW, concerning Frenchs going on strike, it's rather due to French constitution than to a genuine French mentality. Very few employees are syndicated in France, but the importance of strikes is inversely proportional.

Edited by Modrigue - June 30 2016 at 07:14
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 07:04
Here's a stereotype about Americans that happens to be true:

"A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me? An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?" -- Terry Pratchett
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 07:15

Poles can't speak languages... I guess this one is founded....Tongue

In my experience, I have met two Poles that speak English very well. One is a colleague at work that was born in Poland, but is now a U.S. citizen; the other is an archivist and genealogist that came into the U.S. to give a lecture on Polish genealogy last year. Two branches of my family immigrated to the U.S. from the villages of Borek Wielki and Krzywa (both in Podkarpackie) between 1899 and 1910. I don't know how well my great-grandparents spoke English as both died before I was born.

Admittedly those are the only Poles I have met in person.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 07:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

1. Canadians live in igloos: sometimes, but come late July our igloos melt and we move into Tim Hortons until winter sets in in late August.

2. Canadians drink copious amounts of beer and are always eating back-bacon: Incorrect, we also eat side-bacon.

3. Canadians are polite: What a witless thing to consider. Nincompoopish toomfoolery!, though perhaps I am being too harsh.

4. We all play hockey: most of us just watch hockey on TV from the comfort of our igloos while swigging beer and eating back and side-bacon.

5. We like fish in our drinks: Actually, true. A Caesar is a popular cocktail made with vodka and Clamato (Clamato is a tomato based drink that has clam broth in it). We like to chase it down with beer (while watching hockey in our igloos of course).

LOL One thing I have always admired about Canadians is their amazing sense of humor. I'm a big fan of Tim Hortons. Always have to stop at one when I'm in New York State. Still don't have a passport to get into Canada; but before 9/11 always enjoyed trips to Toronto. I have some distant relatives in Alberta and British Columbia that immigrated from County Antrim, Northern Ireland a long, long time ago.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 10:05
All the stereotypes about Americans are true.......everyone watches NASCAR, owns guns, and drinks Miller Lite beer.

Tongue
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 10:15
Yeah, we know. Stern Smile
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>