Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStereotypes about your country that annoy you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 14:22
All Americans are obnoxious and unwilling to try to "fit in" when travelling abroad.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 16:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

1. Canadians live in igloos: sometimes, but come late July our igloos melt and we move into Tim Hortons until winter sets in in late August.

2. Canadians drink copious amounts of beer and are always eating back-bacon: Incorrect, we also eat side-bacon.

3. Canadians are polite: What a witless thing to consider. Nincompoopish toomfoolery!, though perhaps I am being too harsh.

4. We all play hockey: most of us just watch hockey on TV from the comfort of our igloos while swigging beer and eating back and side-bacon.

5. We like fish in our drinks: Actually, true. A Caesar is a popular cocktail made with vodka and Clamato (Clamato is a tomato based drink that has clam broth in it). We like to chase it down with beer (while watching hockey in our igloos of course).

Don't you guys have a 25 hour clock? Still doing those seal hunts in Saskatchewan?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 16:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Everything is BIG in the America.

which reminds me of a joke. an American tourist is shown around a German town by a German travel guide. the travel guide shows him a factory and says: "this is our steel factory", to which the American replies "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

the travel guide shows another building: "this is our art museum". "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

another building follows. "this is our university". "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

another building follows. "this is our car factory". "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

quite naturally the travel guide gets pretty bugged by this behavior of his companion, so he shows him another building and starts "this is..." but fakes a coughing fit at this point, and of course before he can continue the American chimes in with his "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger", whereupon the travel guide replies: "I certainly believe you; this is our mental institution" LOL

Edited by BaldJean - April 10 2018 at 16:48

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

All Americans are obnoxious and unwilling to try to "fit in" when travelling abroad.  

I'm an "American" who spent almost 25% of his adult life backpacking.. Before I entered a new country, I made sure I knew enough of the language, and of course the history and other important things.

It is annoying when someone asks something entirely in English expecting a guy in France to know what he's talking about.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 12:28
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Everything is BIG in the America.

which reminds me of a joke. an American tourist is shown around a German town by a German travel guide. the travel guide shows him a factory and says: "this is our steel factory", to which the American replies "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

the travel guide shows another building: "this is our art museum". "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

another building follows. "this is our university". "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

another building follows. "this is our car factory". "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger".

quite naturally the travel guide gets pretty bugged by this behavior of his companion, so he shows him another building and starts "this is..." but fakes a coughing fit at this point, and of course before he can continue the American chimes in with his "oh, we have that in America too, but bigger, ten times bigger", whereupon the travel guide replies: "I certainly believe you; this is our mental institution" LOL

Haha! good one.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

I'm an "American" who spent almost 25% of his adult life backpacking.. Before I entered a new country, I made sure I knew enough of the language, and of course the history and other important things.

It is annoying when someone asks something entirely in English expecting a guy in France to know what he's talking about.

Right! at the very least it would be polite to (at the very least) have a phrasebook with you. I know a lot of americans who, when travelling, claim to be Canadians due to the stigma.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 16:20
Reminds me of a joke I heard while traveling, ethnic humor (and this is the one I remember)

On an airplane, sits an American, an Iraqi, an Egyptian, and a Frenchman.... The American man opens up a carton of cigarettes, and after a single puff, throws the entire carton out the plane.

"Why did you do that?" asks the Iraqi man.
"We have a lot of these in America"

Then, not wanting to be outdone, the Frenchman opens up a bottle of cologne, sprays once, and throws it out the airplane.

"We have a lot of that in France"

So the Iraqi man picks up the Egyptian man and throws him out the plane..

"Why did you do that?" asks the men.
"We have a lot of them in Iraq!"
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 17:55
That all Americans are fat and stupid 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 17:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

All the stereotypes about Americans are true.......everyone watches NASCAR, owns guns, and drinks Miller Lite beer.

Tongue

Wrong
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 18:48
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Reminds me of a joke I heard while traveling, ethnic humor (and this is the one I remember)

On an airplane, sits an American, an Iraqi, an Egyptian, and a Frenchman.... The American man opens up a carton of cigarettes, and after a single puff, throws the entire carton out the plane.

"We have a lot of these in America"

Then, not wanting to be outdone, the Frenchman opens up a bottle of cologne, sprays once, and throws it out the airplane.

"We have a lot of that in France"

So the Iraqi man picks up the Egyptian man and throws him out the plane..

"Why did you do that?" asks the men.
"We have a lot of them in Iraq!"

This one reminds me of this joke:

What is the difference between heaven and hell?

In heaven the cook is French, the car mechanic is German, the policeman is English, the official is Swiss and the lover is Italian.

In hell the cook is English, the car mechanic is French, the policeman is German, the official is Italian and the lover is Swiss.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 11 2018 at 19:07

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 19:03
ehhh...  could imagine there are a good many stereotypes about Americans...  most are probably true so I never get upset myself. I know everytime I go abroad I am asked.. what the hell is going on there.. did you really elect an unquaified mentally and morally deficient misogynist, bigoted reality TV 'star' as President.

I just throw my hands up and say.. hey.. the greatest generation is dying off... this is the new America. We are just as stupid and ignorant and short sighted as the world we used to take care of, care take, and occasionally save.  The only savior the world might have to look upon now is the f**king Chinese hahah... don't look to us anymore..  in fact.. next to Russia.. you best fear us... we have slid THAT far....

Edited by micky - April 11 2018 at 19:05
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 19:31
^You've actually gone abroad since Trump got in..?
Can you loan me some money then...?

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 20:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ehhh...  could imagine there are a good many stereotypes about Americans...  most are probably true so I never get upset myself. I know everytime I go abroad I am asked.. what the hell is going on there.. did you really elect an unquaified mentally and morally deficient misogynist, bigoted reality TV 'star' as President.

I just throw my hands up and say.. hey.. the greatest generation is dying off... this is the new America. We are just as stupid and ignorant and short sighted as the world we used to take care of, care take, and occasionally save.  The only savior the world might have to look upon now is the f**king Chinese hahah... don't look to us anymore..  in fact.. next to Russia.. you best fear us... we have slid THAT far....

Unhappy
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 01:42
The stereotype that Scottish people are 'mean' (meaning miserly in this context) really annoys me as I consider us to be some of the most generous and helpful people on the planet. What little we have we are always willing to share. We can probably blame music hall entertainer Harry Lauder for originating this stigma as his running gag was the lengths the Scots would go to avoid spending money etc. The prick was from Edinburgh to bootOuch

If drinking and fighting were Olympic events our cities would be sinking into the oceans under the weight of gold.....Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234