Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedelephant plaza for prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: elephant plaza for prog rock
    Posted: June 29 2016 at 19:46
Norwegian Progressive Rock band Elephant plaza´s debut album MOMENTUM began as a 2-piece project in 2006. Espen Mikarlsen (Guitars) and Gilbert Marshall one day started loosely jamming an idea for a song in our studio – Progstock Studio – and this should later turn into our first song “Naked”. After arranging the songs, drums and bass, additional guitars and vocals also were added in spite of various setbacks over the next years (amongst them, a great fire which burned down the whole studio in 2010).

In several sessions both 2012, 2015 and early 2016, we were able to gather guest singers and musicians for individual vocal and instrumental sessions in Cakehouse Studio (in which we were granted free studio time as a most generous gesture after the fire) and Gilbert Marshall´s and Kim Christiansen´s private recording lairs. These sessions were absolutely marvelous and wonderful. We had asked the singers and musicians years ago and still everyone was still enthusiastic and willing. Absolutely fantastic generous people with absolutely stunning performances. Thanks to all youse…

The album was mixed during February, March and April 2016, and is finally mastered by Hoffe Stannow at Cosmos Mastering in Stockholm, Sweden in May 2016. Stockholm is also the home of Progress Records.

The music was made simply by wanting to spontaneously pour our hearts out musically and lyrically. Just to see what came out with no specific agenda or style. From the moment of jamming those first simple riffs, throughout the massive production that this turned out to be, we have really only wanted to create something that we felt resonate with the musical longings and cravings within ourselves – to make good music and lyrics with emotions and stories that both others and ourselves can relate to…

Gilbert Marshall (Magic Pie)– electric & acoustic guitars, keyboards, lead vocals
Kim Christiansen – lead electric & acoustic guitars, vocals
John Kamphaug (Magic Pie) – bass, vocals
Olav Rygg (Magic Pie Sound Tech) – drums, percussion, vocals
John Petter Sæterdal – keyboards, vocals
Jan-Fredrik Heier – keyboards, vocals

Espen Mikarlsen(composer, arranger) - Lead & Rhythm guitars

With guest singers and musicians:
Eirikur Hauksson (Magic Pie, Kerrs Pink) – Lead & backing vocals
Anett Lunde - Lead & backing vocals
Maria Bentzen - Lead & backing vocals
Harald Hougaard - 6- & 12-string acoustic guitars
Bjørn Myrås - Electric Bass
Liv Frengstad - Cello

Links:

Homepage: http://elephantplaza.com/
BandCamp: https://elephantplazaband.bandcamp.com/releases

Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEz_xGboSNU
puzart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 07:29
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 08:38
This suggestion is another one that came and went without a reply. It doesn't help when Andrew makes so many suggestions on here which simply have the topic title: 'band or artist xxxx for prog rock'. Unfortunately, with the way this part of the forum is organised these days - ie without a dedicated monitor - no suggested sub genre = no collab will probably bother to check it. Cry I listened to this album when the suggestion was first posted, and was tempted to add a reply, but decided to wait and see if someone of a higher authority would chime in first about this habit of Andrew's of not including a sub genre in his topic title.

Well, it didn't happen...so here we are. The music is a mix of prog and AOR to these ears...not outrageously proggy at all, but highly melodic, very good listening, and probably worth a shot in Crossover. There don't appear to be any playable samples on the Elephant Plaza bandcamp page at the moment though, which isn't going to help...and whether this is just a temporary situation or a deliberate act to try to make people buy the album without being able to hear it first I don't know. Other artist's bandcamp pages load OK with the 'play' buttons visible and enabled, so it's not just a browser issue on my own computer. I can understand artists limiting the number of bandcamp tracks from an album that can be streamed to just a few carefully selected songs...but to disable all of them seems entirely counterproductive to me. I guess they are just relying on the two YouTube uploads to promote the album for them. Ermm

As I have already hinted, whether this gets spotted this time round is very much in the hands of the Gods...unless Andrew drops by and adds a sub genre to his topic title, or a collab intervenes and drops a link to the suggestion in a team thread (and I can't personally see that being anywhere other than Crossover).

Note: Drummer Olav Rygg is no longer a member of the band, and they are currently seeking a replacement for him. 

Note # 2: DAVAST added the band to progfreak at the time of the album's release: http://progfreak.com/Elephant-Plaza-166645.html, but there is no PA tab as yet.

Edited by yam yam - January 04 2017 at 08:47
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 19:19
The album has now been released on Progress Records, and that they should be on the site is not in doubt. I think that this is something we could pick up in Crossover, so I'll add it to our list
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 08:32
This is definitely in the prog camp area and agree on the crossover genre...
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 22:05
Cleared in Crossover. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 22:22
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Cleared in Crossover. Thumbs Up

I emailed the band yesterday - hopefully I'll get a biography and photo back from them soon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 19:16
Finally added - sorry it took so long
black_diamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member