Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAqualung 40th release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2016 at 07:24
worth every penny, no question - brilliant remix, the way it should have been all along! holy cow.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 02:26
The question is : Why was this album so successful in the first place ??
It's a great 'classic' album from the time. It's held up well.
Sure, modern remixes will enhance certain 'faults' (mostly discovered since the fact) but, I find it difficult to fathom the fact that someone who disliked this album back then, would like it now. All because of remix.
Why not remix Invisible Touch ?? It sounded cool at the time, but hasn't aged that well. A fresh spin on the album and we'll have hundreds of fans saying what an ingenious album this one is............

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 20 2016 at 02:27
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 03:45
No thanks Ian, I'll save my hard-earned and go see Martin in concert instead.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 04:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Sure, modern remixes will enhance certain 'faults' (mostly discovered since the fact) but, I find it difficult to fathom the fact that someone who disliked this album back then, would like it now. All because of remix.
Why not remix Invisible Touch ?? It sounded cool at the time, but hasn't aged that well. A fresh spin on the album and we'll have hundreds of fans saying what an ingenious album this one is............
I don't think that any non Aqualung fan is going to convert for a better sounding album. It's only the album's long time fans that have suffered from the lousy sounding original vinyl, and the horrible run of CD remasters, that will really appreciate Wilson's cleaned up and more detailed sound on this remix. The mastering is also noteworthy, but the author remains a mystery to me.
Valen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 08:12
Hi Guys

Here's my take on this latest iteration of the album:

https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2016/07/20/jethro-tull-aqualung-1971/

Cheers
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 21:24
The good thing about Aqualung 45th anniversary version is that it has almost 2 albums of individual compositions(not including multiple versions of songs) and the songs I didn't like much from the original 11 song album have alternate versions which I do like eg. Wind up early version and Hymn 43 quad version. There's probably just as many cool songs on Warchild 40th anniversary too. There's more studio compositions on the second disc. So there's less fine tracks on disc 1 and more fine tracks on disc 2 than Aqualung 45th. Also there is close to an album of classical compositions(not including multiple versions of songs). A passion play 40th anniversary is also just as good. 2 albums worth of tracks not including the repeated compositions on disc 2 which appear on the album. These 3 packages match the excellence of TAAB.

Edited by dr prog - July 25 2016 at 21:24
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 23:09
I love the album and have bought a few copies in my time so far, I may have to wait until they release their 40tyof version of this album before I buy yet another copy, but you never know.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 23:12
@dr prog: Speaking of Thick As A Brick, any thoughts on SW's attempt at that? I bought the 2015 single disc version (I heard the boxset was a bit of a fiasco) out of curiosity and thought it was okay. Not as good as at vinyl version I found a few days prior, but decent, even with the minor cosmetic things he did.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - July 25 2016 at 23:13
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 01:38
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

<div style="line-height: 18.2px;">
@dr prog: Speaking of Thick As A Brick, any thoughts on SW's attempt at that? I bought the 2015 single disc version (I heard the boxset was a bit of a fiasco) out of curiosity and thought it was okay. Not as good as at vinyl version I found a few days prior, but decent, even with the minor cosmetic things he did.

I only have the remaster. There's no real extra material on the remix and I'm happy with the sound of the remaster. I may get it at some point. Haven't got minstrel remix either due to lack of extra material over the remaster. Is there a big sound improvement?
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 03:16
I, personally, don't like the SW mix of TAAB. At some parts it sounds truly awful (for example the crazy flute solo in "Tales of Your Life" sounds muffled and dead). I prefer the 1997 version.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 03:28
I still have my vinyl copy I bought in 1989 and it sounds great. Always happy to spin it once in a while. This was how it was meant to be (at least, at the time....).   Why not remaster all the 80's plasticiary to today's standards. It will improve a lot of sh*t, really.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 08:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

This album was released in 1971 on LP/Cass/8-trk......For most of us, unless our parents were super into music and audio gear and had extra money and bought high end gear, the sound that we as young kids heard was really bad. Compared to audio gear of today and really the past 20 years...Like many I have original issue of this album and even playing it on my modern gear of today the sound is much better but the new gear just brings out the bad more.
Most heard this album on cassette and 8-trk, not the best format for high fidelity. It was reissued in 1973 by Chrysalis on cassette, somewhere I have this version, but I have no cassette deck anymore.

These remixed 70's albums, played on (at least my) new modern audio gear has a sound that is leaps and bounds better than anything I can remember. As you all know I pretty much only do vinyl, and hearing these classic albums in this manner with a cleaner improved overall mix is simply heaven.

The album was successful because of the music, as a kid I did not complain about the mix or muffled sound because I did not know better. But today I have a choice and am more picky because of this choice, I want to hear the music in the best possible way with the best sound I can afford, I am 52 and don't want to cheat myself out of hearing music in this manner, makes no sense. For me it truly makes the music, the vibe, the words and the artists feelings come thru in a more appreciable fashion. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 20:34
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

I, personally, don't like the SW mix of TAAB. At some parts it sounds truly awful (for example the crazy flute solo in "Tales of Your Life" sounds muffled and dead). I prefer the 1997 version.

Yeah, I remember that. Either SW was more interested in Evan's harpsichord or he forgot to turn up the volume on the flute part. 

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

No thanks Ian, I'll save my hard-earned and go see Martin in concert instead.

Either that or pick up a copy of Barre's Back To Steel. I found it displayed on the shelf next to near Anderson's Homo Erraticus and got both, along with the Aqualung box set, just out of sheer curiosity.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 18:50
Well, I just listened to the first disc, and, it's kind of hit and miss for me. I don't like Wilson's take on the title track, "Up To Me" and "My God". I think "Wond'ring Aloud", "Slipstream", "Locomotive Breath" and "Wind Up" are okay. I like "Cheap Day Return", "Mother Goose" and "Hymn 43", with the latter benefiting the most from the remix.

And then there's "Cross-Eyed Mary", which has to be the most jaw-dropping remix on Disc 1. To put things in perspective, I was listening to this on headphones and it still felt like my house was going to explode.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 21:15
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Well, I just listened to the first disc, and, it's kind of hit and miss for me. I don't like Wilson's take on the title track, "Up To Me" and "My God". I think "Wond'ring Aloud", "Slipstream", "Locomotive Breath" and "Wind Up" are okay. I like "Cheap Day Return", "Mother Goose" and "Hymn 43", with the latter benefiting the most from the remix.

And then there's "Cross-Eyed Mary", which has to be the most jaw-dropping remix on Disc 1. To put things in perspective, I was listening to this on headphones and it still felt like my house was going to explode.

Listen to the quads. Hymn 43 quad is the only version of that song I enjoy enough to keep listening to. Love it. My God quad is the only version of that song I like really. The crappy vocals are gone from both songs. Wind up early version is the only version I like of this song too. 

Edited by dr prog - July 27 2016 at 21:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 23:02
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I hate to be a naysayer.....but do we really need another version of Aqualung...?

Disapprove

I'm with you. Too many versions of the same album (not only Aqualung, but many other classics as well), and if you have a good equalizer, you can adjust the sound yourself, pretty close to all these remastered versions.

I have Audacity and I'm experimenting with the equalizer to adjust Jeffery's bass on the remix of "Locomotive Breath". Got some good results.

Also, it just hit me try to use the same tool to up Ian Hill's bass on Judas Priest's Stained Class.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 06:27
I had it on LP and 8 track initially (I had an 8 track player in my first car).  Made a cassette of my LP when I had a cassette player in another car later. 

Bought it on CD in the late 80s or early 90s.  Ripped that to MP3s 10-15 years ago. 

I need to check out the Steven Wilson remix and the bonus tracks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 01:15
I've been listening to the remix of the title track, wondering why I'm not too fond of it and something just floored me. During the solo, Martin's guitar is significantly louder in the right channel than John's piano is in the left. It's not too bad, until you realize that some of the guitar is also in the left channel, to the point that it's practically a mono recording. Considering that John is barely audible in the right channel, it throws off the dynamic off kilter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12