FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp me make some prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me make some prog
    Posted: July 07 2016 at 18:57
Hello fellow proggers, i'm new on the forums, been listening prog for 10 years now (i'm 24) and playing guitar for about 8 years. I really want to compose some prog music but i don't know how, specifically when to shift time signatures. I know some music theory, all about modes, scales, cadences, but i can't make a good prog song (can't go past the 5 min mark)
Any composers that can give me some advice? I'll appreciate it very much.
If it helps, my favorite bands are Dream Theater, Riverside, Ayreon, Haken, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Opeth, Symphony X, Seventh Wonder to name a few.
SleepySleepySleepySleepySleepy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 19:31
Steal a passage you like, put it in a song, pretend you thought of it, feign surprise if you get caught.   Everybody else does it, why not you --

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 19:59
Don't force yourself to write prog. If you go for all of the cliches, you won't be the next Yes or Genesis, you'll (99% of the time) just sound contrived and uninspired.

Just try to focus on writing music that you feel satisfied with; the genre tag others assign it really doesn't matter.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 20:02
One tip that I will give you, though, if you're concerned about length. After all, who isn't? Wink

Take two songs that you have written that are under 5 minutes long. Simply write a bridge that connects the two. Repeat until you have completed a side-long epic. Then, to make it "epic", just make sure that the last section uses the same melody as the first section, but more drawn-out, and in a major key. See: Supper's Ready.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply