Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDr Space to leave Øresund Space Collective.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dr Space to leave Øresund Space Collective.
    Posted: July 11 2016 at 05:08
Some sad news posted in the Facebook Øresund Space Collective group and on Dr Space aka Scott Heller's page, I hope this is alright to post on here:

"I want to thank all the players that have played in ØSC over the years and all the people who have helped us (Concert promoters, Sapphire Records, friends, etc..). Dr Space has decided to take an extended break from the band. We will still play Psycho Las Vegas and Reverence Festival but these will be the last concert for now with Dr. Space. The band might decide to play with out me, we will see.. We will still release records. No worries.. Lots of cool music still to come..."

We don't know the exact circumstances that has led to Dr Space finishing up with the band (or even if it means `finishing the band up'), and I have no idea if it's burn-out, bad blood with the other contributors or perhaps just a case of a group simply having run its course?

It's just disappointing because anyone who has been checking out their LP's/CD's, authorised `bootleg'/legal free download concerts or their live shows would probably feel the same as I do that their last several releases have been absolutely superb, just getting consistently better and better all the time.

As for `We will still release records'....not sure if that means there's plenty of recordings ready to be polished up for future releases, or that other members of the revolving-door Collective will be free to use the ØSC name for further studio works...

But it would feel very strange seeing ØSC albums without Dr Space's contributions...he's pretty much the heart and spirit of the group. In it's own little way, it would be like Tangerine Dream releasing albums without Edgar Froese, or Gong releasing new albums without Daevid Allen - I mean, that would never happen, right? Oh.....

Anyway, cherish those ØSC albums ever more now, space cadets!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 05:15
Sad news, especially since they just released a new "West, Space and Love" volume (which I still have to check out). 

It looks like I'll see the last concert with Dr Space, though.

Edited by Meltdowner - July 11 2016 at 05:15
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 05:26
I haven't got it yet either, Sam. They've also got another LP out called `Ode to a Black Hole' but I'll have to do a catch-up order for both of them very shortly. I tend to fall behind a little on their latest ones because I'm still constantly spinning the previous ones!

That's awesome about the live show. Who knows, it will likely be recorded, it might even (likely!) be a future release, a nice way to remember it. Fingers crossed!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 05:34
I'm listening to "Ode to a Black Hole" right now, it's very krauty Cool

That would be really great Thumbs Up
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 05:46
Sam, is `Ode' two separate pieces, or one cut into two?

I noticed it's on CD and vinyl, and I didn't want to get the LP if it fades out and back in on each side! I'd rather just the single CD is that's the case.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 05:51
It's an hour long song split in two. I'd get this one on CD too.
 Post Reply Post Reply