Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe most progressive album by Yes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 09:34
Neither are my favourite but...
I was going to vote Oceans, but reading the above posts...i'm changing my mind and voting Close to the Edge :)

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 09:41
The most "prog"? CttE.

As you worded it "...most progressive....", The Yes Album.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 12:55
Honestly, for "most progressive," I'd probably say Fragile.  They were approaching everything in a literally experimental way on that album, deconstructing normal song structures, normal ways of approaching instrumental parts, exploring contrapuntal structures in odd ways, and they were willing to try any and eveything--throwing together all sorts of different genres, especially on the short solo tracks.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 15:49
My fav is the Yes Album
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 16:34
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Honestly, for "most progressive," I'd probably say Fragile.  They were approaching everything in a literally experimental way on that album, deconstructing normal song structures, normal ways of approaching instrumental parts, exploring contrapuntal structures in odd ways, and they were willing to try any and eveything--throwing together all sorts of different genres, especially on the short solo tracks.

yeah I could see that.  My first inclination is to say Tales for the shear brass balls it took to do that album, a disaster in the waiting for any other group but in the end it was just some really A+ sympho sh*t.... 

while Tales might have been the album that pushed the boundaries of prog to its zenith,  as I often say, everything prog was worked itself up TO Tales.. everything after was downhill sylistically and it became a parody of itself (continued still today with all these f**king retro prog by teh numbers bands)

but musically...  yeah... I could see Fragile.Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 14:57
Most crazy prog: Relayer
Most classic prog: Close to the edge
Most innovative prog: Fragile
Most conceptual prog: Tales....
Most soft prog: Going for the one

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 15:26
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

For my senses thereīs nothing progressive in relayer. I have always found it utterly dull and unbalanced and harsh sounding, the first time I heard sound chaser I burst out laughing. Still do. Actually a rather funny album  LOL  

The mighty Soon section ? A typical brilliant Yes piece but feels like doesnīt quite belong there. Iīd put it into Oceans instead. Without it that Moraz era album would have been a total disaster. Not his fault of course, he did the best he was allowed to contribute, and actually itīs totally irrelevant who plays keys there. Progīs rock bottom nevertheless Dead

The harsh sounding is essentially what makes it so progressive.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 05:25
Saying that there's nothing progressive about Relayer definitely indicates using a different definition of progressive than I use.  ;-)
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 06:50
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

For my senses thereīs nothing progressive in relayer. I have always found it utterly dull and unbalanced and harsh sounding, the first time I heard sound chaser I burst out laughing. Still do. Actually a rather funny album  LOL  

The mighty Soon section ? A typical brilliant Yes piece but feels like doesnīt quite belong there. Iīd put it into Oceans instead. Without it that Moraz era album would have been a total disaster. Not his fault of course, he did the best he was allowed to contribute, and actually itīs totally irrelevant who plays keys there. Progīs rock bottom nevertheless Dead

Exactly. It was an album intended to push musical boundaries rather than please the listener. It did please a lot a of listeners (me included) but that was not what it was designed for.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 06:50
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

This. Thumbs Up
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 08:36
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

This. Thumbs Up
Relayer is crazy, bayyyyy-bee! It's out of sight!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 13:32
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

This. Thumbs Up
Relayer is crazy, bayyyyy-bee! It's out of sight!
How are you Rednight? Wink

Yes, Relayer does have some madness in the method! Great descriptive. Smile 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Pigab View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 06:11
Close to The Edge
Harmonicbliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 13:59
Tough Choice- i am going to go with Fragile-
Although i consider "oceans" a close second!
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 04:15
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

My fav is the Yes Album

Clap Wow, youīve got some taste ! Yes ! Mine too. Itīs the opposite to dull relayer, in everything really LOL. 
One of the Progīs most underestimated/noticed classics really. And one of the most positive albums from Yes and in entire Prog actually, their 4th best to my senses. Peter Banks RIP and Tony Kaye created an unique sound melting rock, pop, psych and avant-gard into a big symphonic sound. Very nice and very melodic really. In a way, the debut is the most prog of them all. They made Beatlesīs "Every Little Thing" stellar. They had some attitude to create very melodic yet heavy and above all positive stuff. They were the pioneers. 

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - April 05 2017 at 04:17
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 04:33
Topographic............simples !!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 05:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

[QUOTE=Terrapin Station]Honestly, for "most progressive," I'd probably say Fragile.  They were approaching everything in a literally experimental way on that album, deconstructing normal song structures, normal ways of approaching instrumental parts, exploring contrapuntal structures in odd ways, and they were willing to try any and eveything--throwing together all sorts of different genres, especially on the short solo tracks.

In a way yes but itīs fragile. Their forte has always been in shorts tunes and sheer melody really. 

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - April 05 2017 at 08:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 05:28

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

while Tales might have been the album that pushed the boundaries of prog to its zenith,  as I often say, everything prog was worked itself up TO Tales.. everything after was downhill sylistically and it became a parody of itself (continued still today with all these f**king retro prog by teh numbers bands)

Exactly. "...everything after TfTO was downhill" (in 1974 -75, to be exact but NOT all bands/artist) and not only stylistically but IN MUSICALLY. Hell with all styles, itīs the music that only matters, right ?  "...became a parody of itself". Yes the mighty pioneers of Prog did nothing but. Yes tried to copy their own formula, The Edge (one epic + two shorter tracks) for the third time and everything fell into parts, resulting into noise (cacophony) (well, the last tune is the most boring POP song Iīve heard from then, or pretty any band. Progressive ? Give me a break.   
All is just as far as possible from the world of the Common Man, and Jon Andersonīs silly (really this time) lyrics and his worst singing ever donīt help either to apply what they are doing there. And master engineer Mr. Eddie Offord, what did he do beside digging his nose ? The most unbalanced album/work I have ever heard and I have heard thousands of albums. Honesty not his finest hour anyway. Well, amusing effort in all and just makes me laugh Smile

No wonder punk happened in 1976, and punk has absolutely nothing to with Progīs decline. Prog killed its own bird.

1974 is the origin of storms. 

Still after all, Jon Anderson despite his awful mistake is my hero from the early days and truly is one of the Giants of Prog. Peter Gabriel as well but I never ever cared about his work after 1975. Dull again.

"Tales from Topographic Oceans" from 1973 is the ultimate Prog Epic recorded, they may exist others as coherent works out there but itīs hard to beat.  

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - April 05 2017 at 08:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 08:05
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

In know tens of albums that are as harsh sounding (in parts only, of course) like certain Kraut, King Crimson etc. as this but they are truly progressive, both musically and technically. Sacrificing the essence of (symphonic, (Yes are a symphonic prog band)) music, melody and harmony, which happens to be THEIR FORTE, for total favor of technical "competence" which in this case happens to be aimless pouching and jumping here and there just resulting in noise. And in total boredom in the last tune which is one of the most boring pop song from Yes and pretty much from any band. Progressive ? Give a break.

I have heard thousands of better balanced/sounding rock albums in any genre. 

The same happened to GENESIS too, but luckily in lesser extent. The Lamb. Despite its brilliance in most parts/sections like "Hairless Heart" and "Waiting Room"  I have never been excited about the end result as a concept album per se, the last parts, side four. As being lame and actually anti-climax to the previous stuff just heard before it doesnīt quite fulfill the promise for a perfect Epic Concept Double Album. And itīs too American in sound, style, images etc. A story of a Puerto Rican guy ? After a romanticism of Salmacis and old stories from 1871, and the really funny "Harold the Barrel" ? Not in a million years Smile 

Despite the wonderful Soon section, the decline of Prog starts right there. And there is no Rick Wakeman to breathe a little life into that corpse. Donīt get me wrong, it is not Patrick Moraz fault, he just gets the thankless job to fill the empty spaces but did the best he possibly could. If he just had got a little bit more space and time in the chaos the end result would had been much better. Poor Patrick, always got mistreated by his arrogant English fellows.

Dull stuff, well nobodyīs perfect. With the exception of some Italians, of course Smile

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - April 05 2017 at 09:23
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 09:45
The correct answer is:

Tales From Topographic Oceans
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>