Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe most progressive album by Yes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 20:38
This is an interesting question. No two albums by Yes have exactly the same stylistic approach, so it's hard to pin down one defining moment of "progression" in their discography. I think that the "proggiest" albums by Yes are undoubtedly TFTO and Relayer; and let's be honest, they really pushed their limits on those albums more than any others. Of course, Fragile and Close to the Edge were the albums that really defined the classic Yes sound, so an argument could be made for either of them. Then, there are the later albums; if progressive means blending the old with the new to create something fresh, the albums like Talk and Magnification were quite progressive, as the band experimented with some brand new ideas (incorporating prog metal and recording with a full orchestra, respectively). Really though, each Yes album brought something new to the table, so they were all progressive in their own way. For me, I have to go with TFTO; it's super eclectic and way beyond anything they had done up to that point.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 23:04
CTTE.  It was one of the earliest of the long-song LPs issued, incorporated some very progressive instrumentation (Howe's use of electric sitar and pedal steel guitar, Wakeman's use of pipe organ etc.), and broke the mold for the genre.  
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 15:02
The one and only: Close To The Edge.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 21:53
I know I commented before but I'll reply again. If by progressive we mean the most ground breaking and daring then I'll say Relayer. It's not necessarily their best(although it is probably my personal favorite). 
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:22
Yessongs. It defined progrock of the early seventies and earned both them and Roger Dean a place in progrock folklore. They should have really thrown in the towel after Going For The One. Seriously.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:42
Topographic. That's it. Topographic.
Not that their other albums aren't incredibly progressive, but really, Tooographic.
I'm one of those weirdos that fell in love with the album from my first spin back around 1989......still have the (almost) pristine vinyl I bought back then. The Ancient was the piece that sealed the deal for me !!
Just INCREDIBLE.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 05:26
90125. Progression is all about change and change boots listeners right in their comfort zone. Now they had crafted epics inside 4 - 7 minutes which caused an out cry among the prog establishment. How dare you pay songs in 5 minutes when it should take you 20. And memorable choruses... swoon.

Oddly this contrasts with the Tales fans who think it's too long and have actually edited their Tales so it's shorter; like y'know, a pop rock album.

Still you had 9012 Live The Solos. Or Union with it's songs on side 1 and a kind of conceptual side 2. Bit like the old days...

For progress from one to the other I'd probably pick The Yes Album Fragile through to Relayer is probably the peak as opposed to 90125 which really produced pique. ;)
70sBoy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 09:39
Topographic - it seems to be the summation of everything Yes were developing in the previous few years. I can't forget discovering on a tinny transistor listening to Radio Caroline around 6pm one 70s evening when stuck in bed with the flu. Talk about an epiphany moment.
Shiny globe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 10:17
They were all made in a spirit of being progressive, regardless of advanced special effects in some albums, so I'd point only the ones that weren't , such as the last ones (or so it seems).
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 22:51
Definitely Close To The Edge
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 10:17
Very difficult choice, but I vote in Tales From Topographic Oceans !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234