Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrexit leave voters vs. Trump supporters.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brexit leave voters vs. Trump supporters.
    Posted: July 15 2016 at 04:27
When Donald Trump publicly supported the UK's right to leave the EU, he implied similarities of the feelings of his US supporters with that of UK's Brexiters. I feel that the similarities  between the two are mostly superficial as there are vastly different political and economic systems between the United States and any member nation of the EU. But are there some true similarities to the UK leave voters such as "immigrants  are taking away our jobs"  and "we want our country back", etc., that seem to be both the mantra  and main issues of Trumps' supporters?   

Edited by SteveG - July 16 2016 at 04:27
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 05:36
Can't speak for American Trump supporters but something many Brexiters were unable to wrap their ale addled heads around was the fact that immigrants were taking jobs that the locals refused to do. Someone has to pick that fruit, and if such jobs are deemed to lowly for unemployed young British working class men, then someone else has to do it, so while they languish on welfare waiting for a non existant high paying golden job to come knocking on the door, these businesses have to source the labour from a willing job pool.

It's not just menial jobs though. Our health service is run by vast numbers of immigrants because we can't train enough nurses and doctors here. Without wishing to seem too disengenuous, it could be that such professions are deemed 'too hard' form many young Brits who would rather make their money in marketting, PR or fashion, or simply spend the day slurping lattes playing Pokemon on their numerous 'cool' devices.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 05:46
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Our health service is run by vast numbers of immigrants because we can't train enough nurses and doctors here.
Seems like you have too many patients. How is importing more people going to help?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 05:56
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Our health service is run by vast numbers of immigrants because we can't train enough nurses and doctors here.
Seems like you have too many patients. How is importing more people going to help?

Every adult who lives beyond the age of 70, and every baby that is born is not 'helping' the situation, it's not just high levels of immigration. I would certainly agree that immigration needs to be managed intelligently, but it can't be presented as the sole reason for the stress on our public services. The government has the money to invest, but chooses not to for ideological reasons.

In any case we're leaving the EU, but I suspect that will have no bearing on immigration. Access to the singe market will probably be dependent on the free movement of labour.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 07:47
I don't know about the level of racial hatred and ignorance of Brexit voters, I'm sure there are other issues there that caused the result. It would be unfair to paint all of the Brexit voters with the same brush. I've even read doctored articles finding positives about Brexit. I suppose it was better to remain than to leave but even I, coming from a leftist perspective, can find things that may be better about not being bound to the elite bureaucracy of Brussels. 

Trump voters, on the other hand, and to use his infamous words, are ignorant, are racists, have vested interest in his triumph, and some, I assume, are good people. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 08:32
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I don't know about the level of racial hatred and ignorance of Brexit voters, I'm sure there are other issues there that caused the result. It would be unfair to paint all of the Brexit voters with the same brush. I've even read doctored articles finding positives about Brexit. I suppose it was better to remain than to leave but even I, coming from a leftist perspective, can find things that may be better about not being bound to the elite bureaucracy of Brussels. 

Trump voters, on the other hand, and to use his infamous words, are ignorant, are racists, have vested interest in his triumph, and some, I assume, are good people. 

Many Brexiters are not racist at all, and I agree it's wrong to tar all with the same brush.

I know Trump supporters who also don't fit the stereotype liberals are peddling.

With regard to Brexit, the remain mob also get on my t!ts to be frank, with all their joyous adoration of Brussels and disdain for anyone who criticises the EU. I actually voted to remain - believe it or not - not because I necessarily want to part of the cult, but I simply don't trust the politicians on the right over here to run the show here in anyones favour but their own and their rich friends. For all the EU's faults they have passed some positive legislation regarding workers rights, which I'm not convinced our tory overlords won't try to repeal once we've left.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 04:36
^

Well, I can’t (or will not) comment on the UK’s decision to leave the EU, as I’ve always been a guest of the British government, who graciously let me visit and at times work in the UK.

As an American, I can comment on the Trump supporters. I also feel that most are not the closet KKK that they are betrayed to be. Although, a few could be.

Where I think the problem arises with Trump supporters is the notion that Trump can magically recall  numerous jobs and industries back to the US from “overseas”, which is generally China. This is a pure pipe dream. The infrastructure to support those jobs, as well as the factories and necessary tooling is long gone and will never return. Unfortunately, China remains some unknown entity to Americans. For God’s sake, why? The US borrows money from China and imports practically every household item from that country.

Perhaps it’s time that Americans realize that all the cheap imports that they enjoyed years ago are coming back to haunt them. The ghosts of jobs and factories that Mr. Trump can never conger up for them, as if pulling a rabbit from a hat.

It's this type of mass delusion that frightens me.

Edit: Sorry for the large script as I'm trying out a new visual aid on my PC, and I'm still working out the bugs.

Edited by SteveG - July 16 2016 at 04:43
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 05:39
Didn't want to chime in here but the problem is something I've alluded to in the EU thread and on FB:

Quote Yes, it's crass to make sweeping generalisations but you don't get to cherry-pick either.

Unfortunately the cost of standing next to people who want the same outcome as you but for different reasons is being counted alongside them. Sometimes that is too steep a price to pay..

... Leave voters cannot ignore that some of those who promoted the vote to leave played the racial angle, and with that some of those who voted leave did it for that reason alone. While other's undoubtedly voted leave over the current immigration and refugee situation, which in itself isn't motivated by racial difference, without being able to read people's minds no one actually knows the motivation and thinking behind their views. "I'm not a racist but..." isn't a get out of jail free card.

While I admit to pulling my punches there because I had no desire to offend the person I was replying to, (who objected to a perceived view that those who supported the "Leave" vote were racists or idiots), the point being made is if you stand with racists and idiots then you cannot complain if you too are perceived to be a racist and an idiot... 

Now, I would never call a Leave supporter a racist or an idiot, and I wouldn't do that to Republican voters either, who through no fault of their own now find themselves supporting a candidate that not only has overtly racist supporters, he has actively campaigned to incite and promote racial tension and fear. 

You don't get to cherry-pick the good bits and ignore the bad bits because the bad bits won't magically go away and you cannot water them down with platitudes and excuses to make them more palatable. 

What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 06:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I wouldn't do that to Republican voters either, who through no fault of their own now find themselves supporting a candidate that not only has overtly racist supporters, he has actively campaigned to incite and promote racial tension and fear. 

I'll do that for both of us.  Trump is doing nothing that 20+ years of Republican leaders have not done themselves.  His crime is stripping away politco double speak and nicities.  That is what scares the Republican establishment... it isn't he doesn't beleive the same things... he makes it hard for even the ignorant and ambliivlant (ie most Republican voters) to ignore the fact their party, their leaders stand for division, fear, and discrimation.

The elephant in the room of American Politics is that The Republican Party is a ideologically bankrupt party.. whose only recourse to stay relevant.. stay in power... is to appeal to peoples fear.

Communists, Gays, Transgender, Hispanics, and now Muslims...

Taking a page from Trump.  Speaking without nicities. Those who support bigots and racists.. are in themselves such.  America is changing.... either you embrace it as part of what the flag beaters always say makes this country so great.. or you actively fight (through legislation) against those elements changing and harken back to what made American 'great' in the eyes of Republicans... when white Christians made the rules and immigration from other countries was outlawed... and blacks.. which we could not deport or shift out of the country once this country freed them..  well just lynch them.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 08:41

You don't get to cherry-pick the good bits and ignore the bad bits because the bad bits won't magically go away and you cannot water them down with platitudes and excuses to make them more palatable. 

Point well taken. I never said that Trump himself was not a bigot and a hate monger, and I believe that members that view this site are intelligent enough to know that a person is judged by the company he keeps, or in this case, supports.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 08:44
good to see you back Steve...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 08:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

a person is judged by the company he keeps, or in this case, supports.

word....

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 08:48

Thanks micky. It's a bit strange but I'm getting re-acclimated. If such a word exists! Smile

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 08:50
Thumbs Up pfff... it is the internet... we make things up as go. Words included...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 15:31
Am I the only one to think that Donald "Duck" Trump and Boris "BoJo The Clown" could be idiot twin brothers???
Physically, they both look like retarded blond idiots...
And as soon as they open their garbage trap, they go out and prove they are.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2016 at 21:08
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Am I the only one to think that Donald "Duck" Trump and Boris "BoJo The Clown" could be idiot twin brothers???
Physically, they both look like retarded blond idiots...
And as soon as they open their garbage trap, they go out and prove they are.

The Blond Brothers.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 02:21
^ a momentary off-topic hijacking but what are your views on the likelihood of an FTA between the India and the UK Madan?
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 02:30
I do not know that it is top of the agenda right now.  It may well be but with a lot of domestic political chaos, the Monsoon session of Parliament coming up, and our Prime Minister's ahem globe trotting ways, we don't really know what the Prime Minister is thinking.  As I see it, we don't stand to lose much if anything at all since Britain does not really manufacture low cost consumer products in any great volumes so it won't hurt our manufacturers.  On the other hand, India would stand to gain via greater access to the UK's services market (which may not go down well in UK, though, more jobs going away to India).  

I am not very much clued into British politics but I understand Theresa May had tightened the rules for post work visa for foreign students when she was Home Secretary.  So how likely do you think she is to modify her stance now that she is PM?  One complaint I had heard from a Leaver was that UK could not get enough market access to say ASEAN because of being part of the EU.  I don't know how being part of the EEA instead of the EU solves it but assuming it does, any move to open up trade is bound to affect some domestic sectors and thus spur dissent against FTAs.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 04:00
Thanks, that goes someway to confirm what I suspected. 

As the free movement of people is pivotal in the establishment any kind of agreement with the EU then Commonwealth countries will (or at least should) use that as a lever to any agreements they strike-up with the UK after Article 50 has been ratified. Leave supporters are desperate to show that leaving the EU is a good thing at the moment so will bend over backwards to make it work.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2016 at 04:06

Thanks, that goes someway to confirm what I suspected. 

As the free movement of people is pivotal in the establishment any kind of agreement with the EU then Commonwealth countries will (or at least should) use that as a lever to any agreements they strike-up with the UK after Article 50 has been ratified. Leave supporters are desperate to show that leaving the EU is a good thing at the moment so will bend over backwards to make it work.

Yeah, afraid this is very much a possibility.  UK may not be able to negotiate from a position of strength with all but those countries who depend much more on access to the UK market than UK does on theirs.  From that point of view, UK may actually fare better in negotiations with ASEAN who are more dependent on manufacturing and may see UK as an important market for their exports, as opposed to India which has a large service sector of its own and not very strong on manufacturing exports.  The other problem is of India, both Indian companies and non resident Indians, holding significant investments in UK businesses.  That too could be used as a lever by India in negotiations.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>