Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5 Best Albums to get someone into Classic Prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed5 Best Albums to get someone into Classic Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 10:27
some really great suggestions, folks

I think the list would be incomplete, though, without Triumvirat-Illusions On A Double Dimple
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 10:40
Hmmm...gateway albums. Not too proggy with 20+ minute magnum opuses (like TAAB, Foxtrot or CttE), and certainly nothing that would scare someone away simply by off-kilter vocals alone (like VdGG or Comus, for instance). Ease them in slowly and then hit 'em with a f*cking sledgehammer.

Trick of the Tail (accessible but very fusion-like compositionally, with some balladry and acoustics thrown in)
Dark Side of the Moon (probably the most accessible Floyd album, with excellent lyrics and memorable songs)
Aqualung (probably one of the best blends of acoustics and hard rock ever attempted, with sly lyricism to boot)
Crime of the Century (so pleasant, you're unaware its prog)
I Robot (again, you can actually hum along to some prog, maybe even dance with 2 left feet) 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:28
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hmmm...gateway albums. Not too proggy with 20+ minute magnum opuses (like TAAB, Foxtrot or CttE), and certainly nothing that would scare someone away simply by off-kilter vocals alone (like VdGG or Comus, for instance). Ease them in slowly and then hit 'em with a f*cking sledgehammer.

Trick of the Tail (accessible but very fusion-like compositionally, with some balladry and acoustics thrown in)
Dark Side of the Moon (probably the most accessible Floyd album, with excellent lyrics and memorable songs)
Aqualung (probably one of the best blends of acoustics and hard rock ever attempted, with sly lyricism to boot)
I Robot (again, you can actually hum along to some prog, maybe even dance with 2 left feet) 

VdGG vocals are not out of kilter at all; they go perfectly along with the lyrics. the so-called "beautiful vocals" are in my opinion often out of kilter. what is the point of singing beautifully about emotions that are anything but beautiful?

are these vocals out of kilter?

Edited by BaldJean - July 23 2016 at 11:37

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:42
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

VdGG vocals are not out of kilter at all; they go perfectly along with the lyrics. the so-called "beautiful vocals" are in my opinion often out of kilter. what is the point of singing beautifully about emotions that are anything but beautiful?

Conversely, why drive prospective listeners away with annoying, excuse me, 'eccentric' vocals? The point of this exercise is to get non-prog listeners into the genre. You don't want to drive them away thinking you're a crazy person for forcing them to listen to something that is definitely an acquired taste, like eating roasted crickets or deep-fried banana slugs. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:46

Conversely, why drive prospective listeners away with annoying, excuse me, 'eccentric' vocals? The point of this exercise is to get non-prog listeners into the genre. You don't want to drive them away thinking you're a crazy person for forcing them to listen to something that is definitely an acquired taste, like eating roasted crickets or deep-fried banana slugs. Wink

you have obviously never tasted roasted crickets. they are not an acquired taste at all, they are simply delicious. you are just prejudiced against them

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:51

you have obviously never tasted roasted crickets. they are not an acquired taste at all, they are simply delicious. you are just prejudiced against them
On the contrary, I've had chococlate covered ants, roast cricket and grasshoppers, turtle soup, alligator and other various oddities. It's just that, with so many excellent things to eat, I see no reason to try them again.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:57

On the contrary, I've had chococlate covered ants, roast cricket and grasshoppers, turtle soup, alligator and other various oddities. It's just that, with so many excellent things to eat, I see no reason to try them again.

then why the hell do you consider toasted crickets to be an acquired taste? I am quite certain that if a hundred blindfolded people were given roasted crickets to eat ninety of them would say "delicious". they are definitely not a taste you have to get used to (contrary to, for example, beer)

justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:59
Easy, albums that don't have the stereotypical progressive sound that people make fun of them for. Just great music in general.

Future Days - CAN
Crack The Sky - Crack The Sky
In Search Of Space - Hawkwind
Still Life - Van Der Graaf Generator
Red - King Crimson

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:03

then why the hell do you consider toasted crickets to be an acquired taste? I am quite certain that if a hundred blindfolded people were given roasted crickets to eat ninety of them would say "delicious". they are definitely not a taste you have to get used to (contrary to, for example, beer)
Who said they were delicious? I tried them. I never will again. I'm sure a blind taste test wouldn't suddenly drive the demand for buying cans of crickets to eat at the next football game. Now slugs? Maybe. LOL
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:13

what is in your opinion so eccentric about Hammill's vocals? it the lyrics are "I start to shriek" then "shriek" HAS to be shrieked; anything else would in my opinion be eccentric. and yet things like this are what Hammill is usually criticized for by those who don't like his vocals

Edited by BaldJean - July 23 2016 at 12:14

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:17

what is in your opinion so eccentric about Hammill's vocals? it the lyrics are "I start to shriek" then "shriek" HAS to be shrieked; anything else would in my opinion be eccentric. and yet things like this are what Hammill is usually criticized for by those who don't like his vocals
Honestly, Jean, I just can't stand his vocals. I tried, really I did, but I can't stand listening to him. I've always said I'd buy instrumental VdGG albums because musically I like them - just mask Hammill.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:27

Honestly, Jean, I just can't stand his vocals. I tried, really I did, but I can't stand listening to him. I've always said I'd buy instrumental VdGG albums because musically I like them - just mask Hammill.

well, de gustibus non est disputandum. but you make me curious now - what do you consider to be good vocals?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:40

well, de gustibus non est disputandum. but you make me curious now - what do you consider to be good vocals?
I suppose I could be a smart-ass and say "anyone singing other than Peter Hammill". LOL

But honestly, there are just certain performers I simply don't like to listen to. Not in the same range as Hammill, of course, but Lou Reed, for instance, should have never been allowed to sing, even alone in his shower in the morning. Leonard Cohen is another one. Great lyrics, splendid, but his songs are better sung by someone else. But again, that isn't really fair to Hammill, who actually has range beyond monotone. I just don't care for Hammill's delivery and pitch. That's all.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:51
OP: an impossible yet, obviously, highly personal task. I'd go with your original gut choices. 

(Though I'd definitely choose Fragile over CTTE or TYE as an introductory album--because of its diversity; and I might choose Dark Side or even Animals over WYWH, but, then, that, again, is me.) (P.S. Why does Rush get to be included in a "classic" prog list when they arrived very late to the scene? And why not a non-English-speaking album à la RPI or Krautrock? So tough!)

Will there be a complementary go-to site for 21st Century Prog?
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 16:22

Tarkus - Emerson, Lake and Palmer

The Yes Album - Yes

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson (I actually prefer LTiA but feel one needs to listen to Court before taking on LTiA).

Nursery Cryme - Genesis

Benefit - Jethro Tull

HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 17:30
For those who want to hear "classic prog" in a nutshell:
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis - Foxtrot
Camel - Moonmadness
Eloy - Ocean

For those who want to hear weird and funny things:
East of Eden - Mercator Projected
Family - Entertainment
Samla Mammas Manna - Maltid
Gong - Flying Teapot
Pink Floyd - Relics

For those who tend to hear some more serious experimentation:
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Art Zoyd - Generation Sans Futur
King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic
Soft Machine - Third

For those who came from hard rock/heavy metal circles:
Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble
Birth Control - Operation
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You
King Crimson - Red
Jethro Tull - Benefit

For those who listen to pop/mainstream music mostly:
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Kayak - Phantom of the Night
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Traffic - When the Eagle Flies
Kansas - Masque

For those who want to get into jazzy side of prog:
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
Soft Machine - Third
Samurai - Samurai
If - If 3

For those who want to get into foreign language prog:
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
Triana - El Patio
Omega - Csillagok Utjan
Novalis - Sommerabend
Sfinx - Zalmoxe

Edited by HosiannaMantra - July 23 2016 at 17:35
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 08:03
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

For those who want to hear "classic prog" in a nutshell:
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis - Foxtrot
Camel - Moonmadness
Eloy - Ocean

For those who want to hear weird and funny things:
East of Eden - Mercator Projected
Family - Entertainment
Samla Mammas Manna - Maltid
Gong - Flying Teapot
Pink Floyd - Relics

For those who tend to hear some more serious experimentation:
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Art Zoyd - Generation Sans Futur
King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic
Soft Machine - Third

For those who came from hard rock/heavy metal circles:
Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble
Birth Control - Operation
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You
King Crimson - Red
Jethro Tull - Benefit

For those who listen to pop/mainstream music mostly:
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Kayak - Phantom of the Night
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Traffic - When the Eagle Flies
Kansas - Masque

For those who want to get into jazzy side of prog:
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
Soft Machine - Third
Samurai - Samurai
If - If 3

For those who want to get into foreign language prog:
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
Triana - El Patio
Omega - Csillagok Utjan
Novalis - Sommerabend
Sfinx - Zalmoxe

Nice - you've pretty much done what I was thinking of doing!

Clap
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 07:19
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Dark Side of the Moon, Close to the Edge, Selling England by the Pound, Thick as a Brick and In the Court of the Crimson King.

As far as 'classic prog' goes ....that's a nice list. I wouldn't change it. For newbies it's a fine place to start.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 07:39
I think that most of the "classical period" Genesis albums including SEBTP are quite uneven, and I'd rather use their 1973 "Live" album, which is much more consistent in presenting highlights only; also some people (like me) tend to prefer the less polished live sound more generally when done well, and therefore it may be good to have one live album in the collection.
(And I think that this reasoning may apply to newbies just as well.)
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 16:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Dark Side of the Moon, Close to the Edge, Selling England by the Pound, Thick as a Brick and In the Court of the Crimson King.

As far as 'classic prog' goes ....that's a nice list. I wouldn't change it. For newbies it's a fine place to start.
Smile

Yep, what a way to start your journey ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>