Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShooting in Munich, Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:06
I don't think you have to worry about sexual stimuli if you're an Islamic extremist.
After all, all you have to do is hit the button in a crowd and wham!: instant pedophile.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:06
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

You're not sure ? So why begin with an insult ?

You seemed offended on behalf of some group of people, but I have no idea who. Since I was talking about a mass murderer that is all I could ascribe it to (jokingly, obviously)
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:08
Topic too sensitive for a joke.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:13
Vompatti didn't reply to some group of people, and you didn't call a "standard nutter" some group of people. Anyway I don't feel offended on behalf of some group of people.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:16
Oh surely, someone must be offended on behalf of someone? Come on, people!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:17
It seems to me as if someone were offended on behalf of the shooter.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:21
^ Aren't terrorists merely people offended to the extreme? I can't stand your mode of living so much that I have to kill you, your family and your friends, even if I've never met you, or your way of life doesn't impinge on my life at all. Just the thought of you living your life the way you want to, and not the way I think you should live your life, makes me sick.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:28
Note: I've hidden the bodily fluid comment as it seemed extremely tasteless and inappropriate in the discussion of this tragedy. I don't think the murderer deserves respect, but I do think that the seriousness of this issue, the victims, and the family and friends of the victims deserve a certain solemnity and dignified response.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 13:36
We've all seen this movie and we're sick of it. Solo wacko or mass wackos, it all results in the same ending. Unhappy
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 14:52
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Vompatti didn't reply to some group of people, and you didn't call a "standard nutter" some group of people. Anyway I don't feel offended on behalf of some group of people.

In that case nvm then. I did not mean to invoke any idea of mental illness though (due to the fact that he apparently was treated for one), it is often blamed as a cause for shootings despite the fact that a vast majority of mentally ill people are more of a danger to themselves than anyone else.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 15:36
Sure nevermind ?... Actually it's better we forget this conversation because I'm paranoidly mistaken : I'd thought you were commenting to Vompatti on me, and not on the mass shooter...

Enmity between us is thus powered by no comment, and I have the rest of my life to go figure why I wouldn't read your comments the proper way.

So all the best and let's locate lunatics-to-be and get them on better tracks !!!

Sardonite Calamity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 18:07
Again! Muslim Terrorists! If its not Islam then I don't know what the
fk it is!
I used to have a really good signature but I forgot it...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 18:10
^ Ah, our new resident fear-monger.  Welcome to the party.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 18:11
Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

fk it is!

Big smile ignorance and stupidity know no borders...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 19:08
Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

fk it is!

1. the thread is on an incident with a perpetrator with no religious motivation.
2. if you are referring to the machete attack there is no stated religious motivation.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 21:59
Another incident in Germany: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/25/ansbach-explosion-german-town-deliberate-blast-latest :(

Edited by Logan - July 24 2016 at 22:05
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 00:44
First of all, I must admit that this is an emotional response, after this latest attack I’m not nearly calm enough for a measured reply. I am very, very angry.

I have lived in Germany for many decades now and have therefore been living in a civilized, safe environment and society. This now appears to be over.

The mornings now consist of getting up and scanning the news headlines, not so much as to read about any new world developments, but wondering if a new attack has happened on my home soil, where this happened, and how many casualties there have been. I expect this now.

This is the country in which I now live.

When the refugees first arrived, I belonged to the faction that supported the decision of the German government to help these people; it was the civilized and humane thing to do. I supported this view vehemently until very recently. I couldn’t understand the other European countries closing their borders and refusing entry to all these poor people seeking shelter and help from war and destruction in their own countries.

Now I am forced to admit that they were right and I was wrong.

The problem is that I still firmly believe that the vast majority of refugees are frightened and helpless people who need support after a terrible ordeal, and there are relatively few who pose a threat or danger, but it’s these few who are threatening me and my friends’ and family’s personal safety. The comforting feeling of safety is gone, the war has now been moved to my home turf.

I know I may be overreacting; as I said earlier, this is an emotional response, but I no longer feel 100% safe in our own cities. My response is to eye foreigners I pass everywhere with careful suspicion, something I’ve never done before. It’s an unconscious reflex response. I don’t want it to be that way, but I can’t help it. It’s not really that I suspect some of them to go berserk all of a sudden, but wondering if I’m unlucky enough to come across one of those few who spell trouble. It could happen anywhere, anytime. That’s the country I now live in. And because of that, I feel angry.

At the same time I realise that this is the intended response, so I also feel manipulated and bad about my own changing viewpoint.

I don’t think there is a solution. There is no opponent to talk to or no one with whom to come to an agreement, and the killing in the country in which I live will go on, becoming more and more common with each passing week.

The mistake has been made, the floodgates have been opened and the enemy that can’t be seen is walking among us, and it’s now a new country that is only beginning its downward spiral with no solution in sight. This sounds melodramatic, it probably is, but that’s the way I feel about it.

I can only hope that, given enough cause, this country won’t descend into vigilantism with angry mobs starting to roam the streets at night. Looking at the ghastly political developments with the far right parties on the rise, I don’t think this is very far away. After all, a few months back none of us would have thought it possible what’s happening here now.

Both God and Allah help us all.

Edited by npjnpj - July 25 2016 at 00:45
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 01:46
That's a very heartfelt post, and I feel terrible about the situation.

Incidentally, for those that haven't read the articles or heard this on the news, apparently Ian Anderson was set to perform at the music festival that the suicide bomber was not allowed into.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 02:03
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

First of all, I must admit that this is an emotional response, after this latest attack I’m not nearly calm enough for a measured reply. I am very, very angry.

I have lived in Germany for many decades now and have therefore been living in a civilized, safe environment and society. This now appears to be over.

The mornings now consist of getting up and scanning the news headlines, not so much as to read about any new world developments, but wondering if a new attack has happened on my home soil, where this happened, and how many casualties there have been. I expect this now.

This is the country in which I now live.

When the refugees first arrived, I belonged to the faction that supported the decision of the German government to help these people; it was the civilized and humane thing to do. I supported this view vehemently until very recently. I couldn’t understand the other European countries closing their borders and refusing entry to all these poor people seeking shelter and help from war and destruction in their own countries.

Now I am forced to admit that they were right and I was wrong.

The problem is that I still firmly believe that the vast majority of refugees are frightened and helpless people who need support after a terrible ordeal, and there are relatively few who pose a threat or danger, but it’s these few who are threatening me and my friends’ and family’s personal safety. The comforting feeling of safety is gone, the war has now been moved to my home turf.

I know I may be overreacting; as I said earlier, this is an emotional response, but I no longer feel 100% safe in our own cities. My response is to eye foreigners I pass everywhere with careful suspicion, something I’ve never done before. It’s an unconscious reflex response. I don’t want it to be that way, but I can’t help it. It’s not really that I suspect some of them to go berserk all of a sudden, but wondering if I’m unlucky enough to come across one of those few who spell trouble. It could happen anywhere, anytime. That’s the country I now live in. And because of that, I feel angry.

At the same time I realise that this is the intended response, so I also feel manipulated and bad about my own changing viewpoint.

I don’t think there is a solution. There is no opponent to talk to or no one with whom to come to an agreement, and the killing in the country in which I live will go on, becoming more and more common with each passing week.

The mistake has been made, the floodgates have been opened and the enemy that can’t be seen is walking among us, and it’s now a new country that is only beginning its downward spiral with no solution in sight. This sounds melodramatic, it probably is, but that’s the way I feel about it.

I can only hope that, given enough cause, this country won’t descend into vigilantism with angry mobs starting to roam the streets at night. Looking at the ghastly political developments with the far right parties on the rise, I don’t think this is very far away. After all, a few months back none of us would have thought it possible what’s happening here now.

Both God and Allah help us all.

I have been living in Germany since 1993. I don't share these feelings, but I understand them. I do however not support your conclusion "Now I am forced to admit that they were right and I was wrong". excuse me?

the Munich shootist was born and raised in Germany; he held German as well as Iranian citizenship. he does not have any connections to refugees at all. he was German period, just as I am German now. and everything points to him being someone running amok; there is no terrorist background at all. and I sincerely doubt his ethnicity has anything to do with his amok run.

as to the bombing in Arnsbach: nothing is known of the background of that bombing yet. it is therefore just jumping to conclusions as to the perpetrator(s) of that bombing.

so I don't see how you arrive at your conclusion

Edited by BaldJean - July 25 2016 at 02:05

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 02:25
As I said, my response is emotional.
In cases such as Munich I do see an indirect connection to terrorism, as the psychological threshold to commit  acts off mass violence seems to be dropping in relationship to recent actual terrorist motivated attacks. This would especially include mentally unstable individuals without direct ties.
This is a very frightening aspect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>