Topic ClosedShooting in Munich, Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:27
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Then I suppose we can agree on the assumption that religion in general seems to lie at the root of the problem.
So now what?

I do not agree with that.

Neither do I. It is a simplistic, albeit understandable, reaction to a problem the Western world is facing across the board. The liberal view of a pluralistic, content, diverse, integrated society fed by mass immigration is falling apart at the seams. What we have, instead, are poverty stricken ghettos, cultures who do not seem to want to integrate, with a indigenous population scared witless with wages and living standards driven down by mass corporate efforts to drive down wages and living standards fuelled by aforesaid mass immigration.

The perfect cocktail for nut cases of all shapes and sizes to prosper, be they religiously motivated, or politically motivated, and certainly manipulated like marionettes on strings by powerful forces seeking to hate and divide.

Western democracies have singularly failed to deal with these issues successfully. Intervention in parts of the world where we had no business interfering have merely fanned the flames.

We are living, I believe, on the cusp of extremely serious times which pose an existential threat to our societies. How we deal with this will define this era in future times.

A lot more love, tolerance, and understanding on all sides would go a long way. We are simply not ready, or mature enough, as a race for this, I am afraid.

Going back to an earlier post, I spend a lot of time in London, Birmingham, and Manchester with work. Every time I use public transport, or walk through built up areas, I feel a great sense of anxiety at what might happen. We cannot carry on like this, but, like most, I do not even begin to know what the answer is.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:43
^I agree with your post, Steve. Holding religion totally responsible is a symptom of much bigger problems. I believe you touched on all of them. Brilliant.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 02:08
I just saw this video by a woman from my previous home country who is living in Germany. she has a weekly video in which she talks about her life as an American in Munich and her experiences with the German language. I couldn't have put my feelings any better than she does, so here it is:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 07:02
It seems like almost every day there is more heartbreaking news.  I really do despair.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 08:34
Next one in a church in Northern France.
Priest dead and one injured.
Terrorist attack confirmed by French authorities.

Edited by npjnpj - July 26 2016 at 08:36
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 15:08
I've resigned myself to this never ending. Even military occupying everywhere isn't going to stop this. I can see people rushing to join the Armed Forces in the hope of being friendly to the people walking past, sitting outside cafés. But instead being used to fight another thing like Russia.
I don't want that as much as I don't want these things happening.
But I realise it's still going to happen so don't do it yourself.
Although these are events, let's not forget the fear hype twist factor of television and Newspapers.

R.I.P. All the murdered.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 04:59
So, it appears that the murderer was fascinated by Hitler and Breivik and had some racist views about Turks and Arabs (searching for news in English):
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/f-a-z-exklusiv-amoklaeufer-von-muenchen-war-rechtsextremist-14359855.html
http://www.liberation.fr/planete/2016/07/27/munich-la-piste-du-tireur-raciste-se-precise_1468867

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 09:24
Such shocking stances being highways for people formerly bullied at school

Edited by jayem - July 28 2016 at 09:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234