Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat annoys you about songs you like?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 00:36
"No Lullaby" and "Moths" by Jethro Tull: Why is John Evan's piano mixed so far back? It's not inaudible, but that extra piano would have been nice.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 12:00
Ok I've got one, Spooky Tooth's album Ceremony. This is actually a collaboration album with the avant garde composer Pierre Henry, now I do love my fare share of avant garde music but this collaboration imo just don't click. You know sometimes when two songs are playing together by mistake? This is the feeling I get when I listen to the album, it's like both artists recorded their music separately and then combined them together.
Now I do like the album because of the music of Spooky Tooth but I really have to be in the mood and try to overlook the rest of the mix.
At first I thought cool!! This is weird!!!! But no...this just spoils the album for me. 
Judge for yourself...

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 17:30
^ It wouldn't surprise me if Pink Floyd and Ron Geesin listened to this record during the Atom Heart Mother sessions and learned how not to make an avant-garde/rock mix as a result. 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 05:11
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I adore The Revealing Science of God but the squeaky dog toy noises make me a bit crazy.

I'm seeing Yes Wednesday night in Ohio, when they will be playing sides 1 and 4 of TFTO. If they choose not to replicate the squeaky dog toy that will be just fine with me.
Just curious what you consider "squeaky dog toy noises" in that tune.
I know the bit he means - there's this double high pitched "squeak" bit in the "Starlight, movement, reasons release forward" bit

Edited by chopper - July 29 2016 at 05:16
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 06:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I adore The Revealing Science of God but the squeaky dog toy noises make me a bit crazy.

I'm seeing Yes Wednesday night in Ohio, when they will be playing sides 1 and 4 of TFTO. If they choose not to replicate the squeaky dog toy that will be just fine with me.
I know the bit he means - there's this double high pitched "squeak" bit in the "Starlight, movement, reasons release forward" bit

it's what she means - but never mind. It's indeed the high pitched "squeak" bit but it's repeated so it sounds like my daughter's dog chewing on his favorite toy.

Glad to say the show on Wednesday night did NOT include the squeaky dog toy noise, and for that my husband and I both gave thanks.  Also because the band played the song very very well overall.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 07:11
Weather Report's "Birdland": the heavy intro on synths (or bass, depending on the version), the light yet active drumming, then the thunderous arrival of the saxophone... All of this is perfect, but what follows after the third minute disappoints me. I have the sensation of listening to some TV game show musical theme.
Even the vocal version with Manthattan Transfer can't get this idea out of my mind.

Mike Oldfield's "Five Miles Out": I love, I love, I loooove the musical track. It's just the lyrics that prevent me of trying covering this one. Yeah, this story of "great leader" of a plane that saves his passengers from an accident is too... "down to the ground" for me...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 07:22

it's what she means - but never mind. It's indeed the high pitched "squeak" bit but it's repeated so it sounds like my daughter's dog chewing on his favorite toy.

Glad to say the show on Wednesday night did NOT include the squeaky dog toy noise, and for that my husband and I both gave thanks.  Also because the band played the song very very well overall.
My apologies.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 07:26
Black Sabbath - "After Forever"

Musically it's top notch: cool opening, killer riffs and heavy guitar tone. Not surprisingly, the lyrics always bugged me. They're hilariously preachy. Sabbath can do the "warning against siding with the dark side" quite well, such as during "Lord of This World" off the same album in which Ozzy plays the role of the devil mocking a potential follower.  But with After Forever, I'm not sure if Ozzy's holy roller shtick is a tongue in cheek mockery or a blatant pro-Christian stance. The "Pope on a rope" line rings like the former since Ozzy sings it with seeming glee, but much of the rest of it is pamphlet-waving fundamentalism. Either way, sometimes the lyrics annoy me while at other times I just enjoy the hell out of the song for what it is...great heavy music.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - July 29 2016 at 07:27
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:14
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

- The very end of TD's Force Majeure track (completely out of place IHMO)
- The narration in Amon Düül II's Deutsch Nepal (ruins the ambiance)
- Most spoken interludes in 70-80's Hawkwind studio / live albums
- The "prehistoric cavern" man voice in Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells Part 2

well, the vocals in "Deutsch Nepal" are much less annoying if you understand them. I will give a translation:

"a general stood at my cradle, spoke "it is a beautiful child. he will become a man like I love them - governor perhaps in Deutsch Nepal". I was born in the land of warriors, try hard to be a hero. but the victories keep me waiting. maybe he was wrong, the general"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:20
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

- The narration in Amon Düül II's Deutsch Nepal (ruins the ambiance)

well, the vocals in "Deutsch Nepal" are much less annoying if you understand them. I will give a translation:

"a general stood at my cradle, spoke "it is a beautiful child. he will become a man like I love them - governor perhaps in Deutsch Nepal". I was born in the land of warriors, try hard to be a hero. but the victories keep me waiting. maybe he was wrong, the general"

Thanks for the translation!

I'm not criticizing the words, but just the ridiculous grandiloquent vocal tone adopted (and the cough too). Wink

Edited by Modrigue - July 29 2016 at 09:28
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 12:37

My apologies.

no worries, after two years on this site I'm used to the assumption that all posters are by default male. 
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 03:56
Oh, and I forgot:

I do not dislike Steve Joliffe's punky singing in TD's Cyclone album, but I find his vocalizations at the end of "Rising Runner..." quite out of place and a bit ridiculous for such a catchy and futuristic track.

BTW, if you think the same thing as me, although a little repetitive, the instrumental remix on Dream Mixes 4 is surprisingly not bad at all:

Edited by Modrigue - July 30 2016 at 10:15
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 08:07
You're mad as mokkasins Nico! The narrative vocals in Deutsch Nepal are wonderful...that is if it's the right version. There is another one not featured on Wolf City that absolutely blows compared to the "original" (truth be told, I'm not sure which version came first).
I love the military vibe of it and the way it openly makes fun of Germany's past - especially with that fabulous doomsday riff from the piano. A perfect tune for me

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 30 2016 at 08:08
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 08:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You're mad as mokkasins Nico! The narrative vocals in Deutsch Nepal are wonderful...that is if it's the right version. There is another one not featured on Wolf City that absolutely blows compared to the "original" (truth be told, I'm not sure which version came first).
I love the military vibe of it and the way it openly makes fun of Germany's past - especially with that fabulous doomsday riff from the piano. A perfect tune for me

both versions were at the same time. while Amon Düül 2 were recording "Wolf City" there was a quarrel among the band, and they split up. some of the members formed the band Utopia who recorded an album of their own.

but both bands recorded their album in the same studio, and during the recording sessions they made peace again, which resulted in all members of the band appearing in both projects. and "Deutsch Nepal" was liked so much that both projects wanted it on their album. and so it happened.

this is described in detail in the Amon Düül biography "Tanz der Lemminge" by rock journalist Ingeborg Schober, a close friend of the band.

the self-titled album of Utopia was later re-released as as Amon Düül 2 album, but historically this is not correct

Edited by BaldJean - July 30 2016 at 08:31

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 15:54
^ I love that 'Utopia' album - seems it's rightfully a Lothar Meid project ?? It can pass as an ADII album, but it was never of that intention from the outset. Another marketing ploy, methinks........
Plus, Utopia gets confused with Todd Rundgren's project of the same name. I recall often seeing the German Utopia vinyl lumped in with Todd's collective. There was a bargain to be found !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12