Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 04:39
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

year : 2034
user : barbebrousse

message : Pink Floyd box set The Early Years sealed for sale.

price : 17641.32 trumpdollar.
method : Cash.

Cash? In 2034? I fear with great fear that the age of cash will be ended even before 2019 Stern Smile.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 05:07
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

year : 2034
user : barbebrousse

message : Pink Floyd box set The Early Years sealed for sale.

price : 17641.32 trumpdollar.
method : Cash.

Cash? In 2034? I fear with great fear that the age of cash will be ended even before 2019 Stern Smile.

Which gives everyone time to save up and buy them individually. It's a drag about the exclusive content, but that's what their official YouTube channel is for!
May Martial Law from PM May come for me as I waltz around my crowded bedroom to Atom Heart Mother (Band Only) blasts from my system!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 09:02
Hi,

I'm glad to see both films included ("More" and "Obscured by Clouds"), and even happier that Barbet Schroeder allowed this to happen. The addition of the material from "Zabriskie Point", had been in a couple of bootlegs, but otherwise this is the first time we really get to hear the material that was supposed to be used, that both Antonioni and the American producers, rejected for the film, because it was too different, or weird. Antonioni had quotes given him by Roger as "too sad!" for a lot of the PF material for the film.

"More", I have reviewed and posted here a few times, but it one of those films that a lot of people do not like, because it does not follow the Hollywood tradition that the music must "augment" the moment, and not be a part of the moment for the actors/story, as much as it would be for your idea/fantasy of it all. Thus, the music is not on the "outside" of the film, and instead the girl carries along a cassette player and the music that is in it, is Pink Floyd, and that is what she is tripping to every single time she gets stoned, or the film enters into a stony trip. AS SUCH, it is a very stony experience, and very strong, since it is not a "fantasy" ... you are almost there, right next to her, also feeling it, instead of fantasizing it. This makes the film really good, and personal, and very warm. However, the critical destruction of this film, was almost single handedly done by people that were upset that PF was not used LOUD and CLEAR on the soundtrack, and not on the cassette recorder ... which in this case separates you from the experience altogether, and that is not what Barbet Schroeder wanted to do.

"Obscure by Clouds" is a very different film, and I think the music used was incidental, and is used "externally" and none of it is actually connected to the film or its story, except one piece, and it is minor, and over seeing a very long shot of clouds over a valley ... that is the extent of the use of the music, that makes sense in this film, and I have a feeling that it was too late to add anything different or to change the film. The film does feature two incredible film acting schools together with each other, and they were the French/Paris Grouping and the Royal Shakespeare Company, many of whose folks had just participated in a huge Ken Russell orgy or two. The mix of the two is interesting, and when later the folks in New Guinea are shown, it actually makes for a rather strange mix, but it is like you are just an outsider watching this ... there is a distance here, I always thought, and I'm not sure the film recovers from that.

I'm not sure I can afford this, or that I will buy it. But if the films get redone, and cleaned up and with added bits and pieces, they are both worth getting. "More" is very much an "experiment" that works for me, although I think that too many film viewers are too stuck on their film fantasies to appreciate a "real film about a real story" which is so close to us, as to make us afraid. This was something that Barbet Schroeder did in a lot of his films. We won't discuss one drunk or two later in his films!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 11:47
27 discs of stuff most people probably won't listen. Maybe only a couple of new songs or a couple of live songs. I don't see the use of releasing all this stuff. It reminds me of King Crimson releasing bootleg after bootleg. You don't have to release every concert you have ever played... :)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 14:43

Can I afford it? No

Do I need it? Not really

I'm still wondering why I bought the immmersion sets.

but I'll probably get one or two volumes if they effectively went on sale separately.

Can I afford it? : yes, I could
Do I want to (afford it)? : really not sure
Do I need it? : not really
Do I want it (the boxset)? : well, some discs for sure, but others not.

For sure if the discs are sold separately, I will splurge for a few (7 or 8) including some of the DVDs, but not the films
But I'm kind of pissed off by the way most of these CDs have been assembled... Why not regroup and concentrate all of the BBC archives on three discs, instead of scatering them all over the place?
The two Shoerder movies have been available on DVD for at least 7 or 8 years, so it's kind of useless. And I prefer Zabriskie to both. As for Pompeii, I've still got the VHS and the DVD

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 02:42
A video from the upcoming Early Years box set:

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 08:10
New video from the upcoming Early Years box set, Childhood's End (2016 remix):

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 15:57
Obviously nobody I know could afford the box set!
But I am loving "Cre/ation" 2CD! Loved the sneaky appearances of "Us And Them" and was delighted to see the ghost of "Crumbling Land" on the second disc.
Thr version of"In The Beechwoods" is different to the one that used to be on YouTube. Pity, as the organ riff for that was the same melody Syd played for the track "Opel".
And a four man Atom Heart Mother (And I never listened properly to the bootlegs) is (as you know from those that do listen to bootlegs) a work of delight!
Happy Pink Floyd week!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 16:05
^ IS the plan still to release the CDs individually? If so, I'm not sure of the point of this Cre/ation album.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 16:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

^ IS the plan still to release the CDs individually? If so, I'm not sure of the point of this Cre/ation album.

The plan is to still release each disc next year. I suppose the point of the Cre/ation album is to fill the gap of the people who can't afford the full box, provide a sampler that tells an edited story of the band's development, and also acts an an alternative "Greatest Hits" that is like a fusion of their 2001 compilation and "Relics".
It might be streaming soon, so if still unsure you could give that a listen.
But afterwards you'll appreciate why it's 1967-1972.
Will I buy a 2CD sampler of future box sets 1973- 1984? Haha, well see what they've got on it first! I don't think we'll get a collection like this again or at the same level.
McCartney must be kicking himself with that "Anthology" series! Pink Floyd have done it better.
Even the 90's Bowie reissues with extra B-Sides comes close.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 17:53
I just picked up the two disc sampler. Here's my thoughts on some of the parts I skimmed:

-Nice to finally have a mono version of "Paintbox".

-I've always been iffy about the 2010 mixes. They sound more, well, 2010 than 1967. Other than that, it's nice to finally have an official version of "In The Beechwoods" in my possession. And it sounds goooooooooooood.

-The Floyd's mix of the Montreux version of "Atom Heart Mother" is just as good as the one in the bootlegs. Plus, never again will I have to listen to the song having a skip error in the beginning, so bye bye, bootleg version of this.

-"The Riot Sequence": Never noticed how much "Us And Them" sounded like a tango.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 18:19
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

The plan is to still release each disc next year. I suppose the point of the Cre/ation album is to fill the gap of the people who can't afford the full box, provide a sampler that tells an edited story of the band's development, and also acts an an alternative "Greatest Hits" that is like a fusion of their 2001 compilation and "Relics".
It might be streaming soon, so if still unsure you could give that a listen.
But afterwards you'll appreciate why it's 1967-1972.
Will I buy a 2CD sampler of future box sets 1973- 1984? Haha, well see what they've got on it first! I don't think we'll get a collection like this again or at the same level.
McCartney must be kicking himself with that "Anthology" series! Pink Floyd have done it better.
Even the 90's Bowie reissues with extra B-Sides comes close.

Ok, good. I'll probably h old out then. Thanks.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 23:29
See as the separate sets for Volumes 1 to 6 came out yesterday, I think it would be a good time for me to discuss my thoughts on Vol. 1.

-Similar to the my experience with live "Atom Heart Mother", the official versions of "Vegetable Man" and "Scream They Last Scream" have good mixes. "Scream"'s mix could have been better with its sound effects, but it's not bad enough to fling my arms madly about.

-The Stockholm show has surprisingly good sound for a bootleg. The vocals are every bit as inaudible as advertised, but everything else sounds clean as a bell. My favorite bits have to go to "Reaction In G", "Matilda Mother", "Pow R. Toc H." and "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun".

-The songs on the 1965 demo haven't aged as well as, well, everything else the band has done, but it's nice to hear how the band started.

-The "John Latham" stuff was basically a half hour of noise.

-From the videos, the "Nick's Boogie" part was my favorite, if only to see Syd thrashing about on the guitar with a lighter and bearing.

Overall, definitely worth getting if you're a fan of this era of the band.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 03:33
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Can I afford it? : yes, I could
Do I want to (afford it)? : really not sure
Do I need it? : not really
Do I want it (the boxset)? : well, some discs for sure, but others not.

For sure if the discs are sold separately, I will splurge for a few (7 or 8) including some of the DVDs, but not the films
But I'm kind of pissed off by the way most of these CDs have been assembled... Why not regroup and concentrate all of the BBC archives on three discs, instead of scatering them all over the place?
The two Shoerder movies have been available on DVD for at least 7 or 8 years, so it's kind of useless. And I prefer Zabriskie to both. As for Pompeii, I've still got the VHS and the DVD

Self-quote, but I don't give a hoot...
I'm going for some of these smaller boxsets.

Well, in my neck of the woods, these separate small boxsets will be costing 36.99 (for 68 to 71) and 41.99 (£$€, it doesn't matter much these days, as they're almost on par, I believe) for the 65-67 and the 72, and from this wednesday to the following one, there will be a 2+1 sale... So I'll get four sets for the price of three >> so what I wanted from that boxset will cost (37 x3) 111.00 + the two-disc set already out last fall.

TBH, I'll only get the four cheaper ones (but money's not the point), as only the 68, 69, 70 and 71 sets really appeal to me.
I'll definitely not get the 65-67 piece (I really don't give much a hoot for the Syd years), and I'm trying to find a reason to get the 72 piece, since it's mostly about Pompeii and OBC soundtrack remix, and I've got what I need in both departments. The only point that bugs me about shunning away from the 72 set is that the Roland Petit Ballet stuff is on that DVD
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 10:01
yowsers... now that is a box set.  Love Floyd.. who doesn't... but nah. Some disks I'd really want, others much less so.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 11:28
Apologies for my enthusiasm earlier in the thread. I thought the individual boxes would be sensibly priced. They aren't. So I'll stick with the 2CD one that came out last year.
I slaved in a call centre arguing with morons who didn't read the terms and conditions on their Argos cards so I could save up only to find reality kicked in when the job finished in January.
Ah, life!

Edited by AZF - March 26 2017 at 11:29
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 11:57
2CD/DVD? £25 tops and surely even that's pushing it? Nope!
OK, how about the 1971 1 Cd/DVD?

"Full price, mate."

Fffffuuuuuu-
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 08:24
Yeah, I do wish they separated it even further. I really have no need for the DVDs, I just want the CDs.

that said, I have two on order, and plan to order two more in the near future. The two earliest ones I'll get at some point, but I don't feel an inherent rush to get them with this setup.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 16:14
At least they've all been put up on Spotify.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 18:47
I am not a dentist so it's no, baby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>