Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 15:15
Probably all I'll be listening to today, might go for Nico's Desertshore tonight if I have time.

Captain Beefheart - Mirror Man
Cabaret Voltaire - Red Mecca
Biglietto per l'inferno - Biglietto per l'inferno
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 18:47
The Clash - London Calling
Mac DeMarco - 2
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Lost Trident Sessions
Focus - Focus III
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other
Tangerine Dream - Zeit

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 22:50
Van Halen - Fair Warning - Yeah he ha! That favourite guitar solo thread yesterday really reminded me just how awesome these guys were, and I'd have to call either this one or Women and Children First their finest work. Love the dark, aggressive feel of the album. Some of Eddie's best guitar work is on here and it's only made better by the fact that basically the whole album is tuned a half-step below drop D. The Mean Street intro, the main riff from Dirty Movies, the end of One Foot Out The Door - all essential hard rock guitar. 

Blackfoot - Strikes - A pretty weak album in general. Out of the 10 tracks, I'd only really consider 2 to be worth your while: the opener, Road Fever, and the closer, Highway Song. The others are more or less average, forgettable hard blues rock. But the two quality tracks make the album worth looking into. As I was saying in the favourite guitar solo thread, the closing track here was one of many Southern Rock songs to be written in the Free Bird format; this is one of the best, though. The more "lonely summer night" type of vibe that it gets from the minor key is beautiful, with Medlocke's vocal performance augmenting the mood. And the self-referential lyrics are an added bonus touch. Certainly Rickey Medlocke's finest hour.

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - October 03 2016 at 23:34
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 23:00
Danny Brown - "Atrocity Exhibition"
Danny Brown - "Atrocity Exhibition"
Autechre - "elseq 1"
Bert Jansch - s/t
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 01:04
Monday...

Fuzz Evil - Fuzz Evil  (Sierra Vista, Arizona  2016)   Heavy fuzz stoner rock 
The Hazytones - The Hazytones  (Montreal, Canada  2016)   Psych rock, stoner rock trio
The Blue Stones - Black Holes  (Ontario, Canada  2016)   Blues / Rock / Alternative / Garage two man band 
Saturna - Saturna  (Barcelona, Spain  2016)   70s Classic Rock / Hard Rock
Sonora Ritual - Dust Monument  (Germany  2016)   Heavy, atmospheric psych concept album 
Domo - Domo  (Alicante, Spain  2010)   Mostly instrumental psychedelic stoner rock with heavy guitar
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 02:01

Saga  - Generation 13

IQ - Subteranea
Fish - Fellini Days
Fish - Sunsets on Empire
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 03:14
Promenade - Noi al Dir di Noi (First listen. It's surprisingly great, it ticks all the right boxes for me Clap)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 03:44
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Řresund Space Collective - Live at Reverence Festival (Pretty strange to hear a concert I went to, especially when I can hear myself shouting LOL)
Mad Fellaz - s/t (Quite overwhelming at first listen but it seemed really good. These fellaz are mad indeed Big smile)

That's awesome, was that one of the OSC's free downloads or through their Bandcamp page? That would be great if it gets a proper CD release, what a way to remember a show you were at. That Tangerine Dream Melbourne concert CD set from a few years ago for the Melbourne Music Festival was a nice memento!

Ah, so you listened to the good Mad Fellaz album?!

Just kidding, the second one is plenty good, just a world away from the knockout first effort. I much prefer that first one, when their were still RPI traits worked in. Sadly as soon as I hear the vocals I start to cry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 06:25
It was from the archive, it will probably not get a CD release though. The sound quality is not very good, it has a few technical problems and you can sometimes hear the sound technicians talk Ermm
Syndone also released a live album from the concert I attended last year (with much better quality) although it's digital only, unfortunately.

I'll have to listen to the second to see what I think.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 11:20
Terje Rypdal – Terje Rypdal This is excellent! The overall atmosphere of the record is very “sleepy”, however, the musicians are on fire. Terje’s solos are beyond description, incredibly tasty to say the least. Keyboard work as well as use of oboe add great amounts of mysticism.

This Heat – This Heat Another album I love dearly. The soundscapes This Heat creates here are unearthly – very unsettling, disturbing, industrial, yet elegant and very minimalistic. Really rainy album, perfectly suited for today’s weather!

Centipede – Septober Energy Many thanks to José for reminding me of this album. It is indeed a wild, freaky jazz-fest of 50 musicians. This is not only “listening”, it’s the whole experience. A bit like a festival of avant-garde arts, where a huge group of artists follows a loose recipe, enriching it with improvised elements of their own. Amazing!

Hugh Hopper/Elton Dean/Keith Tippett/Joe Gallivan – Cruel But Fair Wow, what an amazing, elegant work this is. As innovative and experimental as it is, it retains the colors typical of Hopper’s, Dean’s, and Tippett’s music. Great, great album. Thanks for the recommendation, José, friend!

King Crimson – Larks’ Tounges In Aspic I’ve had real difficulties enjoying King Crimson outside the first three releases. Still, even on this album, which I love dearly, there are chunks, patches, and gristles, pretty hard to digest for me, which just proves how demanding this music is (and that it's a pretty long sentence, doesn't it?).

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 04 2016 at 11:21
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 11:41
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

This Heat – This Heat Another album I love dearly. The soundscapes This Heat creates here are unearthly – very unsettling, disturbing, industrial, yet elegant and very minimalistic. Really rainy album, perfectly suited for today’s weather!

Always good to see some appreciation for my favorite album. This Heat doesn't get enough love around these parts, but then that's true of a lot of the late 70's and 80's experimental acts (Pop Group, Nurse With Wound, Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten etc). But then this is a prog forum and This Heat really isn't prog anyway. 

So far today:
Glenn Branca: The Ascension
Archie Shepp: Mama Too Tight
Nico: Desertshore

And later tonight I'll be listening to Univers Zero's Heatwave for the first time, but for now I have classes to go to. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 11:52
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Always good to see some appreciation for my favorite album. This Heat doesn't get enough love around these parts, but then that's true of a lot of the late 70's and 80's experimental acts (Pop Group, Nurse With Wound, Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten etc). But then this is a prog forum and This Heat really isn't prog anyway. 

Well, it's progressive music, maybe not prog rock, but definitely progressive. While Throbbing Gristle (whom I consider to be the band capturing the spirit of the era in the very same way as This Heat) are not that great of instrumentalists and composers (with their potential lying in the ability to create incredible sonic landscapes), This Heat could really play and compose well. As a side note, I've seen Einstrurzende Neubauten live last summer and they were steaming (they actually said that was their best performance of the whole tour).

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 04 2016 at 11:52
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 22:03
Lemon Demon - "Damn Skippy"
Death Grips - "The Powers That B"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 01:44
Tuesday...

Horizon - The Last Man In Terminus  (Alicante, Spain  2014)   Desert / Space / Stoner trio
Space Invaders - Invasion On Planet Z  (Germany / Switzerland  2013)   Instrumental space rock recorded live
Kaleidobolt - The Zenith Cracks  (Helsinki, Finland  2016)  70s style heavy, psych, stoner trio 
Train - Train  (Avila, Spain  2016)   Classic hard rock, stoner rock
Desert Mammooth - An Elephant In The Room EP  (Portugal  2016)  Instrumental heavy psych desert stoner trio
Interstelar - Resin  (Los Angeles, CA  2016)   Mixture of stoner / grunge and psych / space rock 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 03:09
Vespero - Lique Mekwas
Řresund Space Collective - Ode to a Black Hole
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 04:31
Tonight's choices (although still 90 minutes to go at work!):

Anekdoten – Until all the Ghosts are Gone
Beardfish – Comfortzone
Neal Morse – Question Mark
Yuka & Chronoship – Dino Rocket Oxygen - that reminds me that I should get back to that more recent album from them)
Knight Area - Hyperdrive
FEM Prog Band – Sulla Bolla di Sapone
Tangerine Dream – The Park is Mine
Tangerine Dream – Quantum Key

Sanhedrin – Ever After – Sagi, it’s about that time, surely another year has passed from when we last got to whinge about how there hasn’t been a second album from this group yet?!

Hawkwind – The Machine Stops - Tom, I assume you and Daniel have this already? It’s a terrific album from them, certainly up there with their better later discs like `Blood of the Earth’, `Space Bandits’ and `Alien 4’ for me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 05:54
Two more:

Tangerine Dream - Optical Race
Tangerine Dream - Miracle Mile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 13:32
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet Probably one of my favorite Tangerine Dream albums and German live albums in general. The march at the beginning of the first part is definitely my favorite Tangerine Dream moment. The whole album is great though, the sound of the synths is so clear, crystal.

The Keith Tippett Group - You Are Here... I Am There I have written a review on this album. If you wish to read it, you can do so here. As always, constructive criticism is appreciated.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 16:34
Felt a bit jazzy today..
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 19:50
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record
Il Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys
Guru Guru - Hinten
DNA - DNA on DNA
Earth - Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 522>