Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 522>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 10:47
^ There's something about their creative intentions and attitude that I really dislike about Oasis. I have Standing something on CD that I barely spun, I really should sell it someday.

How's that Roach & Rich album? It seems like quite a collaboration.

Today:
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
Mário Pacheco - A Música e a Guitarra
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 08:37
Thanks everyone for so much awesome back-and-forth conservation over the last few days. You're all an awesome bunch.

Glad you dug that Mansun album, Sam, it IS good! Ha, but speaking of Oasis, consider checking out their third album `Be Here Now', so fuelled by ego and cocaine that almost every track goes for between five and nine minutes, just endlessly overblown and bombastic! So many of the pieces have reprises over and over and never know when to end, it's freaking hilarious. But it's also actually rather good in parts, some decent tunes buried in there as well

My choices last night:

Renaissance – Prologue

The Beach Boys – Smiley Smile (great bent psych album, love it way it unravels in several spots, total album career suicide, but some impeccable moments of beauty and cohesion as well)

The Beach Boys – Wild Honey (charming and classy pop album)

The Byrds – Notorious Byrd Brothers
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Aphrodite’s Child – 666 (first disc)
Robert Rich – Filaments
Steve Roach & Robert Rich – Strata
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 02:29
"Future Days" is so awesome that it never leaves my 1GB MP3 player :P I love listening to it on the beach :)

Yesterday:
Giorgio Moroder - From Here to Eternity
Mansun - Little Kix (The only problem I see is being released after "Six". It's a fine album indeed, I'd rather play this than any Oasis album :P )
Sleep - The Sciences (This album kicks ass!)
Sun Mammuth - Cosmo
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte (Doing some homework for the concert next Saturday :) )
Carlos Paredes - Guitarra Portuguesa
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 19:55
King Crimson - Live in Hyde Park
Cos - Postaeolian Robbery
Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian
Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 18:11
Hoy es miercoles

The Feelies | The Good Earth
The Voidz | Virtue
Ut Gret | Time of the Grets
Oregon | Roots in the Sky
The Clang Quartet | Recycled
Joni Mitchell | Travelogue
Royal Trux | s/t
Triumph | Just a Game
Yes | Tormato

Edited by HolyMoly - May 02 2018 at 18:11
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 16:36
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Future Days is like summer condensed into this fever-like psychedelic calypso gallop.

Aaahhh, missed that. Another excellent description.
I first “got” Future Days (several years after buying it) while I was high on Ny-Quil. Same kind of feverish, nervy, oddly relaxing haze.
Not that I’m condoning such things

Edited by HolyMoly - May 02 2018 at 16:39

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 13:30
Thanks man. It's been a while Tymon. Good to hear from you
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 13:16

Future Days is like summer condensed into this fever-like psychedelic calypso gallop.

Aaahhh, missed that. Another excellent description.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 13:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Thanks for your nice words, Tymon. I know many people find that depression and anxiety are frequently linked. I'm fortunate that I don't really get anxious or go through some of the things associated with that (I've had occasional stretches where I've had panic attacks, but those are few and far between...although a few days back they seemed to return for a few days in a row, and I'm not sure what triggered them again), but I have a lot of trouble most of the time finding much in the way of self-worth, and I feel terribly invisible in the world around me. I've gotten better over the last year or two at turning unhappier situations into positives, but I still struggle here and there. Still, just catching up with you, Sam, Dave and plenty of others on the Archives....you don't know what it means to me! Very grateful and appreciative for this community and people like you, mate! I hope you can get on top of your troubles as well, my friend. Do what you can to combat it and keep working at it, and try not to let it pervade so much of your life as it goes on. I know, easier said than done, but...I hate how much time I've lost on negativity, dwelling on insecurity and convincing myself of how easily replaced and unmemorable I am...and it is seriously no way to live.

Anyway, no surprise that music has been (and continues to be) a constant source of inspiration, happiness and excitement! Long way it carry on!

Yes, panic attacks are definitely very uncomfortable to say the least. But I'm glad you are now feeling better than you used to and that ProgArchives has something of a therapeutic effect. I can definitely relate. I'm also really thankful for the whole community and that includes you. I am fine really, my older troubles are thankfully becoming more fictious and I know, more or less, how to approach new ones, which is great. And yeah, negativity is a horrible time waste if you think about it, on the other hand, though, there is always something one can get out of even the most negative experiences.

Yeaah! Big smile
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Sensations’ Fix – Music is Painting in the Air (best compilation/mega-mix ever
Can – Future Days

I'm going to see Sensations' Fix at a festival this summer! Big smile Only heard their 70's stuff, so not sure how (and what) they are playing these days, but I'm still quite excited.

Michael, don't you think Future Days is the ultimate musical cure for anxiousness? I recall seeing a review that said Future Days is one of those albums to remind you that everything is alright.
Future Days is my favorite album. It is relaxing but in a very “alert” way, if that makes sense. There’s lots of choogling beneath the surface no matter how chill it gets. Like a lot of electronic music, come to think of it.

Exactly! That's a pretty spot-on description with "relaxing, but in a very "alert" way."

Last two days:
Tim Hecker - Harmony in Ultraviolet
Herbie Hancock - Sextant

Edited by ALotOfBottle - May 02 2018 at 13:15
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 11:55

Goodcstuff lately David! Sorry about yer back.

Today:

Greta Van Fleet | From the Fires
John Maus | Songs
Colouratura | s/t
The Sonics | This is the Sonics
Algiers | The Underside of Power
John Zorn | The Big Gundown

Thanks buddy. Please feel free to donate a new one if you’re thinking about spending the rest of your life sitting comfortably in a chair
I’ve been spinning the newest Maus album a lot lately and am digging the hell out of it. Touchdown as well as the last couple of tunes are among the finest I’ve heard from him.

Bit disappointed about that Algiers album, but I did love the debut to bits. It was always going to be a tall order to top.

Yesterday:
Igor Wakhevitch - Docteur Faust
Warm Digits - Wireless World
Aktuala - s/t
The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits
Bauhaus - Mask
Franco Battiato - Clic
Miles Davis - Big Fun

I just got the Maus box set - all his albums on coloured vinyl with a book of lyrics, some musical scores, etc. i preordered it last summer at the same time I preordered the new album. Thing is, I like what he does but I don’t understand it at all. It’s intriguing, his style. It was his connection to Ariel Pink that got me interested, and I’m still trying to figure him out. He’s a pretty deep guy.

I’m entirely new to Algiers (though I think they’re from my town), I picked up that CD in a used bin based only on the fact that Anthony Fantano (of “the needle drop”) liked it. Not that I trust him entirely, but now and then I like to blindly experiment with new music outside my usual buying habits, so if I see something used, I’ll sometimes take a blind chance. Hey, with The Knife’s Shaking the Habitual, that impulse buy resulted in one of my favorite albums. So it’s worth the risk. I do enjoy this Algiers album but wasn’t even aware of any other albums, so I’ll ck the prior one out.

I listened to Battiato ‘s Clic album recently, and I’m still tempted to get the vinyl reissue. But if I got one of them, I’d have to get all of them , and I’m not sure I want to spend that much on stuff I already have on CD. But....damn.

That's a bit odd actually, but then again I got into Ariel and Maus almost simultaneously and have always felt a kindred spirit and sound. That slightly psychedelically tinged 80s hypnagogic pop style with weird fittings, cartoonish brushstrokes here and there and the occasional rock bursts. Maybe I'm mad. I had the same experience when I started listening to the brothers Tame Impala and Pond - though nowadays I vastly prefer the latter. They still share 'a sound' though just like I think Ariel and Maus does.

The Algiers debut is pretty much a more...erm direct? Nahh...it just seems to share all of the same ingredients as the sophomore album but arranged altogether differently...and better to these ears. There's more snarl to the dynamics - especially between the keys/electronics and the main vocalist. I find the style refreshing to say the least. Sorta like industrial post-punk gospel. Hah that sounds insane!

I think I have Shaking the Habitual somewhere in my folks' garage (one of these days I really should do an inventory count or maybe just sell some of the old stuff I don't listen to anymore. Maybe I could get more room to fill up with music katjing!

I am still on the fence about those Battiato lps. Damn why did you have to remind me?
I am actually listening to Fetus right this minute. I love how raw and naive it feels. So compliments the overall theme when looking at the cover art.

Yesterday:
Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
Faust - Fresh Air
Steve Hauschildt - Strands
The Orb - COW/Chill Out, World!
The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks (Real jungle panther music. Great for canooing. I tried it)
Alain Goraguer - La Planete Sauvage (Everytime I listen to this I wonder why I don't spin it more often. It is brilliant. Sorta like Ennio Morricone going psych rock. Recommended to just about everyone. It's addictive.)
Thundercat - Drunk
David Bowie - Low

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 02 2018 at 11:56
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 11:23

Sensations’ Fix – Music is Painting in the Air (best compilation/mega-mix ever
Can – Future Days

I'm going to see Sensations' Fix at a festival this summer! Big smile Only heard their 70's stuff, so not sure how (and what) they are playing these days, but I'm still quite excited.

Michael, don't you think Future Days is the ultimate musical cure for anxiousness? I recall seeing a review that said Future Days is one of those albums to remind you that everything is alright.
Future Days is my favorite album. It is relaxing but in a very “alert” way, if that makes sense. There’s lots of choogling beneath the surface no matter how chill it gets. Like a lot of electronic music, come to think of it.

I also like 'relaxed in an alert way'. That's basically Can (but also very much this album right down to a t). Kinda in between everything. Styles, the beat, melodies and sense of direction...but somehow it works.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 02 2018 at 13:26

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 02:27

Mansun – Little Kix – Sam, did you ever listen to this follow-up to `Six’? I think, seeing as how you’re currently on a synth-pop/New Wave/New Romantic bender, you would dig the heck out of it, because it always sounded more influenced by those styles. At the time it came out it was a bit of a disappointment and kind of felt like the band giving out (actually the final track even kind of seemed to hint that it was all wrapping up) and it seems quite straightforward in comparison, but...it’s a fine little indie-pop album!
I never heard it but I'm curious to hear now. I'll report back.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 02:25
Jonas Munk - Pan
Caldera - Sky Islands
Causa Sui - Return to Sky
Monarch - Two Isles
Tangerine Dream - Optical Races (Side A)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 02:24
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

the Damned: Live Shepperton 1980

Haven't played this in decades, so I gave it a spin. Still holds up as my favorite by them alongside The Black Album. Side 2 I especially dig. It cranks and it's punk, but with a lot of cool spaced-out guitar solos. I especially like "Plan 9 Channel 7", moreso than the studio version even.

Noticed in the end of the listening that those live tracks in Black Album was taken from the same gig. But anyway great to hear to whole gig!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 00:46
King Crimson - The Power to Believe
Van der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other
Van der Graaf Generator - H to He, Whom Am the Only One
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 23:01

Is that a new album from Dirk? I've been listening to the live album of his and it's been really helpful on nights where my back feels like a clenched fist. So soothing and yet still menacing in all the right places much thanks to the ol Tangerine Dream snarl from the sequencers.

It's a fairly recent Cosmic Ground release from 2016, essentially two side-long pieces recorded during the third album sessions but ultimately offered up as a free download, but it did get an LP release. It's on its way to me right now.

Sorry to hear about your back, man, I totally relate. I'm actually literally right now about to depart to do 30 minutes of stretches before bed to help strengthen up my back, which has been getting a little creaky again!

Mate, you should definitely look into this release, I just bought the LP of it, Scattered Purgatory's `Sun-Hiam-Zun' from late 2017. A stunner of a modern Krautrock disc (although very short!), they're a Japenese duo that craft hypnotic, ethnic flavoured psychedelic drones with thick electronics ala Cluster/Popul Vuh, with a rough around the edges stripped-back production. I think it would be just your thing https://scatteredpurgatorygggb.bandcamp.com/album/sua-hiam-zun

I had no idea about that 2016 release of his. Thanks for the heads up!
Creaky back? Arghh man. You need to oil the hinges buddy. No getting around that. I guess stretches can do the trick, like yoga or tai chi.

Never heard of Scattered Purgatory (insane name right there) but the way you describe em makes me look forsard to the meeting:) Thanks again.

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 20:10
Aphrodite’s Child | 666
Julian Casablancas + the Voidz | Tyranny
Dogbowl | Flan
Ariel Pink / Black Moth Super Rainbow | split 7”
Esmectatons | Deformidade Jovial

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 19:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

the Damned: Live Shepperton 1980

Haven't played this in decades, so I gave it a spin. Still holds up as my favorite by them alongside The Black Album. Side 2 I especially dig. It cranks and it's punk, but with a lot of cool spaced-out guitar solos. I especially like "Plan 9 Channel 7", moreso than the studio version even.

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness: Grind meets death in such a wonderful disgusting way. Hilariously grisly lyrics littered with medical references. I started losing interest in them when they got more polished afterward. 

Mary's Blood - Bloody Palace: Wow...this album is FIRE. Saki's guitar solos are fantastic. She can do the neo-classical shred w**k without issue, but layers that stuff with a mean attitude, nasty notes and guitar screams, like Hendrix meet Yngwie. She's boss, and some of these songs are ripping fast. They got a great singer too.

The Beatles - The Beatles (side 3): "The White Album" may not be my favorite of theirs, but this side is my favorite of any of their albums. I love every song on it, including "Sexy Sadie". It's got some of their heaviest stuff (sure "Helter Skelter", but how about that "Yes we're going to a party party" deal in "Birthday"...that's like punk man! Plus that monkey tune is the bomb), and damn, "Long Long Time" deserves more love. George was on his game, and it's one of their moodiest, haunting things they ever did.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 18:54
Herbie Hancock - Thrust
Herbie Hancock - Manchild

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 18:31

Goodcstuff lately David! Sorry about yer back.

Today:

Greta Van Fleet | From the Fires
John Maus | Songs
Colouratura | s/t
The Sonics | This is the Sonics
Algiers | The Underside of Power
John Zorn | The Big Gundown

Thanks buddy. Please feel free to donate a new one if you’re thinking about spending the rest of your life sitting comfortably in a chair
I’ve been spinning the newest Maus album a lot lately and am digging the hell out of it. Touchdown as well as the last couple of tunes are among the finest I’ve heard from him.

Bit disappointed about that Algiers album, but I did love the debut to bits. It was always going to be a tall order to top.

Yesterday:
Igor Wakhevitch - Docteur Faust
Warm Digits - Wireless World
Aktuala - s/t
The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits
Bauhaus - Mask
Franco Battiato - Clic
Miles Davis - Big Fun

I just got the Maus box set - all his albums on coloured vinyl with a book of lyrics, some musical scores, etc. i preordered it last summer at the same time I preordered the new album. Thing is, I like what he does but I don’t understand it at all. It’s intriguing, his style. It was his connection to Ariel Pink that got me interested, and I’m still trying to figure him out. He’s a pretty deep guy.

I’m entirely new to Algiers (though I think they’re from my town), I picked up that CD in a used bin based only on the fact that Anthony Fantano (of “the needle drop”) liked it. Not that I trust him entirely, but now and then I like to blindly experiment with new music outside my usual buying habits, so if I see something used, I’ll sometimes take a blind chance. Hey, with The Knife’s Shaking the Habitual, that impulse buy resulted in one of my favorite albums. So it’s worth the risk. I do enjoy this Algiers album but wasn’t even aware of any other albums, so I’ll ck the prior one out.

I listened to Battiato ‘s Clic album recently, and I’m still tempted to get the vinyl reissue. But if I got one of them, I’d have to get all of them , and I’m not sure I want to spend that much on stuff I already have on CD. But....damn.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 522>