Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What albums did you listen to today?...continued
    Posted: July 30 2016 at 08:04
Ok so the last thread have passed the 500 pages, so here's the new and improved thread of which we can go on and on about the music we like so much.

For me not a vast selection:

The Winstons (three times really, this is just outstanding!)
Mike Oldfield - Hegest Ridge

Edited by Sagichim - July 30 2016 at 08:48
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 08:10
Thanks buddy
Oh and just so folks can better differentiate between the two threads, it'd be cool if you could edit the title a tad; maybe call it Sagi's best buns or the slightly more unadventurous: part two.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 12:50
I'll kick this one off.
Christian Vander/Magma - Tristan et Iseult (aka Wurdah Itah).
Zeuhl, zeuhl, zeuhl... Really loving this genre recently! This one is quite a bit different from most Magma album, but no less enjoyable. I really like the vocalisation on this album as well as the use of grand piano. In addition, I also read a pretty big interview with Christian Vander today (The Wire Issue 381 November 2015, my dad has all issues of The Wire) and I must admitt - he is just such an interesting figure! Probably not someone most would love to deal with, but he is really a unique character. Highly recommended - both the article and the album!
Peter Fromhader/Nekropolis - Cultes des Goules, The Ballet of Death. Woah! This is quite a discovery to me! Peter Fromhader is probably rather unknown around these parts, for instance this album has no reviews (only ratings) and I'll be more than happy to pave the way for other reviewers. Anyway, to the album. This is such an outstanding work of art! Fromhader creates an incredibly dark, ominous, unsettling trip! It is sort of zeuhl-type-of-dark in my opinion, but most of the music could get the title of "dark ambient." This is nothing short of a masterpiece! Something to be experienced. Check it out, guys!
Michael Hoenig - Departure From the Northern Wasteland. Even better! After looking for my "perfect" Berlin School album for a few weeks now, I think I've found it. This music cannot be really put to words. This takes all of the best elements of Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, and Ashra, mixes them in a blender, and the result is the tastiest possible sauce one could imagine! Ever! Sometimes you're in a great mood and when you pair it with incredible music, you nearly feel as if you were a part of the sonic landscape it creates. See me there? Or is there something wrong wth me? Anyway, if this album was a woman, I'd never ever get my eyes off it.
Ga'an - Black Equus. Sometimes you've got to catch up with some newer releases, huh? Ga'an are an excellent modern zeuhl band from Chicago. Their style really appeals to me, I really like that symphonic thing that's going on there. The female vocals from Lindsay Powell are beautiful and, from what I've seen on Google, so is she. These guys really know what they are doing and they've really got feeling for the classic zeuhl sound without being a clone of any of zeuhl bands. Very nice!
Amon Duul II - Tanz Der Lemminge. I remembered this album as a very enjoyable experience, yet not very distinctly. Naturally, I had to come back to it. And man, it's so good! I like how it's incredibly consistent, yet has a great variety and diveristy, truly making it a psychedelic journey! However, it is differnt sort of psychedelic than Yeti - here, Amon Duul II's sound is much more refined, I think. Ein kosmische Klassiker! Ich liebe es!

You know how sometimes you just wake up in perfect mood and music just tastes incredibly good? Everything about it is just so exceptionally enjoyable, it flows right through you. Something inexplicably "clicks", you can feel this incredible chemistry? It's rare for me, but today was one of those days! Man, I love music! Smile
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 14:28
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I'm curious to how that was. Is it in any way similar to Bells?
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 15:21
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Well it is but it's also not. It is in the way that they are both epics (and that is true about all his 70's albums) long epics that evolves from one idea to the next, exploring and playing around every motif, using alot of both acoustic and electric guitars and of course no drums! you'll definitely recognize right away it is Oldfield, so yeah it is pretty similar in that sense. But of course this is a different product with new ideas (Duhh) I for example am not a big fan of Bells, I like this album much better, it is a bit richer imo and has a better or should I say a more pleasant sound, but this is maybe because it is more symphonic.

But if you're interested in Oldfield definitely check out Ommadawn, it is simply beautiful beyond any measure, a masterpiece imo Approve
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 15:26
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I concur with Sagi.  Hergest Ridge is better than Tubular Bells.  And Ommadawn is great also, probably his most accessible recording of those early ones. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 16:36
I also prefer Hergest Ridge these days, although it took me some spins to start appreciating it, especially because of the wall of sound on the second half.

An eclectic selection to start this thread Smile
Big Red Panda - s/t
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole...
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 16:40
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Locanda Delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole...

Uh oh....

Hope you went and rolled around in the dirt afterwards, Sam!

I still can't make it through more than half that album....too sweet, it would actually make a fine soundtrack to that `Candy Crush' game!

OK, I'm overreacting and being snarky, but you know what I mean!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 16:53
I listened to the first side of Tai Phong's debut yesterday and I was so full of it. This one is much less sweet.

I watched Indiana Jones' second movie afterwards, does it count as rolling in the dirt? :P
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 16:59
Didn't like `Temple of Doom'?!

Heh, a lot of people would replace that with `Kingdom of the Crystal Skull', but even that isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to think!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 17:11
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I listened to the first side of Tai Phong's debut yesterday and I was so full of it. This one is much less sweet.

P
I haven't spun my record of this for at least 12 years........BUT, I love that Locanda Delle Fate album.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 17:28
That Locanda Delle Fate album is just one I can barely get through, Tom, I'm so sick of it after about the third track. It's too damn pretty and swooning - ALL THE TIME!

I think I could name dozens of Italian discs I'd place ahead of it.

How did you go with Greg Walker's latest update, mate? Any titles got your interest?

If you don't already have it, there's a cool Italian disc called `MO.DO - LA SCIMMIA SULLA SCHIENA DEL RE' on the LP section available, I'd highly recommend that one!

Also, there's a modern Zeuhl album called `RHÙN - FANFARE DU CHAOS (WHITE VINYL) (HAND-NUMBERED EDITION OF 300) (SOLEIL ZEUHL) $30' that you should absolutely snap up. It's a dark one, and quite short, but it delivers the goods. I remember Sagi and I both overdosing on it when it came out a few years back. I also recall a friend listening to it and she said `Man, I get such a bad feeling from that album, it really digs at your skin'!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 19:07
^ Yep !! I have several titles in mind, that Rhun being the very first where I wet my pants
- Algarnas Tradgard being another I've been searching for several years.......
Curious about that Tusmorke album and the Nemrud.....
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 00:11
Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Imperial Bedroom"
Patti Smith - "Horses"
Dain Bramage - "I Scream Not Coming Down"
Patti Smith - "Banga"
Public Image Ltd. - "First Issue"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 04:10
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Didn't like `Temple of Doom'?!

Heh, a lot of people would replace that with `Kingdom of the Crystal Skull', but even that isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to think!
Of course I liked it Smile I didn't say it with that intention but in literal sense, since Indy rolls in the dirt Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 04:34
Nice save, buddy!

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 10:00
This Heat - Deceit.
Talking Heads - The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads (CD2: Live 1980-1981).
Soundgarden - Down On The Upside.
Kangding Ray - OR.
Cocteau Twins - BBC Sessions (CD2: 1983- 1996).
Clock DVA - Horology 2 (Radiophonic Dvations 2 disc).
Pink Floyd - The Endless River.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 10:06
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Michael Hoenig - Departure From the Northern Wasteland. Even better! After looking for my "perfect" Berlin School album for a few weeks now, I think I've found it. This music cannot be really put to words. This takes all of the best elements of Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, and Ashra, mixes them in a blender, and the result is the tastiest possible sauce one could imagine! Ever! Sometimes you're in a great mood and when you pair it with incredible music, you nearly feel as if you were a part of the sonic landscape it creates.

Yeah, this album is really good, I love it. It's a pity he never made any other albums like this. His album Early Water (with Manuel Gottsching) is okay but very unfocused. And his later albums and soundtracks have a very eighties digital sound.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 10:25
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Michael Hoenig - Departure From the Northern Wasteland. Even better! After looking for my "perfect" Berlin School album for a few weeks now, I think I've found it. This music cannot be really put to words. This takes all of the best elements of Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, and Ashra, mixes them in a blender, and the result is the tastiest possible sauce one could imagine! Ever! Sometimes you're in a great mood and when you pair it with incredible music, you nearly feel as if you were a part of the sonic landscape it creates.

Yeah, this album is really good, I love it. It's a pity he never made any other albums like this. His album Early Water (with Manuel Gottsching) is okay but very unfocused. And his later albums and soundtracks have a very eighties digital sound.

Interesting. I liked this one especially because it did not have that digital sound. Everything sounded extremely organic, glassy, smooth, spacious, yet quite "analog", if you will. And the compositions were also smooth as heck. Never overwhelming, never underwhelming. It was close to... Perfect?
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 10:29
Yesterday:
The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager
Genesis - Trick of the Tail
Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
http://fryingpanmedia.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 520>