Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 521>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 12:24
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Guillaume Perret and the Electric Epic - S/T
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 13:07
Magma - Udu Wudu. A very good Magma album, although I like the group at their jazzier. This is more like a continuation from where Kohntrakosz left off. As always - very well written and well performed. That throbbing bass is also something that I love.
Agitation Free - Second. Had not listened to Agitation Free for a while then and thought how many great musicians passed through its lineup (Michael Hoenig, Lutz Ulbrich, Harald Grosskopf etc.) I like this one a lot more than their debut, because I don't find Eastern and African influences to sit well in their mainly jam-oriented style.
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra. One of my favorites from Tangerine Dream. What is there to say about this album? Nothing short of a masterpiece. In terms of composition, it could very well sit alongside works by Philip Glass or Terry Riley.
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon. This one pictures Tangerine Dream shifting towards a less ambient, more Berlin School-esque direction, and although Phaedra is my fave from them, I seem to like that sequencer-dominated type of sound a bit more.
Art Zoyd - Musique Pour L'Odyssee. This was, I think, my second encounter with this one and quite a revelation to me, in a sense that I had remembered it much differently. In reality, it was not as dark, ominous, Univers Zero-like as I had remembered it to be.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 17:33
A couple of old favourites. Not feeling adventurous today:
Led Zeppelin - s/t
Jean Michel Jarre - Équinoxe
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 23:10
The Rolling Stones - "Beggars Banquet"
Elvis Costello and The Attractions - "Armed Forces"
Patti Smith - "Horses"
Roy Orbison - "16 Biggest Hits"
The Rolling Stones - "Out of Our Heads"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 00:28
Saturday...
88 Mile Trip - Through The Thickest Haze
Dune Pilot - Wetlands

Sunday...
Forming The Void - Skyward 
Blues Funeral - The Search
Transcendent Sea - Ballads Of Drowning Men
Spirit Division - No Rapture
Mothers Of The Land - Temple Without Walls 

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 10:39
Last days...

Nick Drake - Way to Blue: An Introduction to Nick Drake
Pink Floyd - BBC Archives: 1967
Henry Cow - In Praise of Learning (Partially)
Gilgamesh - Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into
The Muffins - Manna/Mirage
Henry Cow - Hamburg (Partially)

Edited by DeadSouls - August 01 2016 at 12:47
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 13:22
Serge Bringolf Strave - Vision. This was definititely a very ncie zeuhl album! However, it was not very inventive or innovative, sort of repeating most of the genre's cliches. It did highlight its best parts, though. Not memorable after first listen, will have to revisit.
Manuel Gottsching & Michael Hoenig - Early Waters. I always love those relentless, lengthy soundscapes, really krautrock's (or Berlin School's too, for that matter) very own characteristic. I could listen to this, E2-E4, "Hallogallo" etc. on repeat for days! This one is very good!
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet. I am really glad I revisited Tangerines yestarday and rediscovered their genius once again. Ricochet  is such a great album. BTW, I believe the main motiff of Part 1 is the same thing they played at the Coventry Cathedral concert, right? Anyway, I love their melodic, classical electronic stuff!
Egg - The Polite Force. Most of you, or at least those, who I frequently meet on other threads, know this is my absolute #1 of all time. Wow. It's just so extremely good. Long Piece No. 3 is so perfect, varied. It's nineteen minutes long and has moments that are probably the most sophisticated in the whole prog rock history (I'm sure) and even spacey ambient parts. Killer!
Peter Frohmader - Musik Aus Dem Schattenreich. (twice) This has been playing on repeat lately here in ALotOfBottle cavern. I am currently working on a review for this dark, sinister masterpiece and I want this to be the best review I've ever written, sort of to commemorate my promotion to a title of a "Prog Reviewer" (again, big thanks to all admins and those who congratulated). Anyway, guys, check it out, you won't regret it. In fact, I've worked out a deal with my former bandmate (a stoner/doom fanatic) that we would meet for a little jam the day after tomorrow and play something in the vein of this one. Love it!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 23:30
Monday...

Among The Serpents - The Grand Betrayal
Throttlerod - Turncoat
The Worship Of Silence - In The Early Hours
Psicomagia - Psicomagia
Space Debris - Phonomorphosis
Space Debris - She's A Temple  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 00:30
The Rolling Stones - "Out of Our Heads"
Devo - "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!"
The Police - "Sycnhronicity"
v/a - "Grind Madness at the BBC: The Earache Peel Sessions" disc 3
Radiohead - "In Rainbows"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 03:16
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Tangerine Dream - Ricochet. I am really glad I revisited Tangerines yestarday and rediscovered their genius once again. Ricochet  is such a great album. BTW, I believe the main motiff of Part 1 is the same thing they played at the Coventry Cathedral concert, right? Anyway, I love their melodic, classical electronic stuff!
If you're talking about the video of the Coventry concert on Youtube, they used the album recording over the image. If you listen to the bootleg, it's completely different.

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Psicomagia - Psicomagia
I haven't spun this one in a while. I learned my lesson though, I won't end the day with that album LOL

Philippe Lenfant de Dagobert - Suite Mégalique Apocalyptico Foulfuitique
La Curva di Lesmo - s/t (I'm more familiar with it now, I was able to listen to the whole album without losing focus. I still think the second track is the best one though)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 03:44
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

If you're talking about the video of the Coventry concert on Youtube, they used the album recording over the image. If you listen to the bootleg, it's completely different.

Oh, ok, I see now. Kind of the shame, because this main theme from Ricochet Part 1 (you know, the most rhythmic, the most catchy one) is simply phenomenal, in my opinion. One of my favorite moments from Tagnerine Dream, probably. I just listened to parts of the original Coventry recordings and they are also very nice, although a lot more ambient.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 03:56
^ I agree, it's fantastic Thumbs Up That makes sense, if you consider the venue they played at. Now that I think about it, it's probably why all their concerts are so unique.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 04:04

this main theme from Ricochet Part 1 (you know, the most rhythmic, the most catchy one) is simply phenomenal, in my opinion. One of my favorite moments from Tagnerine Dream, probably. I

Clap
The track that really made me want to explore TD

Edited by Modrigue - August 02 2016 at 04:09
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 04:07
Today's choices, just a few Krautrock-related discs:

Xhol Caravan - Mother f**kers GMBH (2 Years On) - awesome disc, a cross between droning Krautrock jamming, noisy Soft Machine-sounding jazz eruptions, drifting acid-folk Deuter-like reflections and organ-drenched Birth Control-like proto prog and hard Sixties R&B.

Heldon - Electronique Guerilla - interesting mix of Kraut droning and electronic experiments, spoken word passages, etc.

Siddhartha - s/t - a loopy and eclectic German band that had both male and female vocals, English and German lyrics, and a range of different styles and sounds.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 02 2016 at 04:09
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 07:04
Happy The Man - The Muse Awakens
Kevin Ayers - Whatevershebringswesing 
Soft Machine - 4
King Crimson - Larks..
King Crimson - Starless And...

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 09:31
Henry Cow - Legend
Caravan - If I Could...
Soft Machine - Alive in Paris 1970
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Jethro Tull - Thick As a Brick
Osanna - Palepoli

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 12:50
Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïẁ Kommandöh. Ok, it's not 1000°Centigrades, it's this one that's my favorite Magma work (duh, originality, as if saying that Close to the Edge is my favorite Yes album, which is not BTW). But really, I started enjoying MDK enormously recently. It's so well composed and so well performed. Vander really followed through on this one, everything is top-shelf here. I just realized how great the guitar is here with its tasty fills and how organ really works with Magma's music. Amazing!
Zanov - Green Ray. It's the first time I've ever listened to Zanov. First thing that came to mind was Klaus Schulze, obviously, but there is something very distinctive about his music. I feel it's much lighter and not as... massive, overwhelming (which does often work well for Klaus, but makes Zanov's work equally good). Not all that memorable, but good enough to make me want to explore the rest of his discography.
Yatha Sidhra - A Meditation Mass. Wow, that's a good one. I've been wanting to listen to Yatha Sidhra's only album for a while now, but never actually got around to doing so. And how stupid were I! This feels like a spiritual journey into the imaginary realm of inner space. The Eastern influences work incredibly smooth and well. The instrument choice and performance is out of this world and the band build fantastic atmospheres!
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme. A Love Supreme is probably my favorite Coltrane album (duh, originality, once again) along with My Favorite Things and maybe Meditation. The mixture of free, yet restricted modal improvisation on slow, hard-bop-esque rhythms combined with a healthy dose of mysticism really does it for me. Plus, because Coltrane is not playing ultra fast, like on some other records, you can cop some of his phrases.
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch. I thought that while I'm at jazz that I like, I would listen to some Eric Dolphy from around the period. However, this was a much more experimental effort than A Love Supreme. But I like that vibe that's in the air in Eric's music - his use of bass clarinet, vibraphone, an upright bass with a bow. For most part, this is free jazz, sometimes even free-form, yet you can easily (or maybe not so easily) distinguish the progression.
Arkham - Arkham. Again, Michael, many thanks for telling me about this band - it's so close to what I love in the music of Egg and Soft Machine. Arkham are such phenomenal musicians and really, what I like about Egg, I like about this band. Egg's music has a bit more in common and puts less emphasis on improvisation (I'm talking especially about The Polite Force, which was highly likely the one they were influenced by, considering this was recorded in 1971 and 1972, their debut features more improv). But really, the arrangements are so great and it actually uses Farfisa organ... WITH FUZZ! Heart
Tim Blake - Crystal Machine. THE KINGDOM OF THE ANALOG MODULAR. I really like Tim Blake's style. I think it's much different than that of his German and French contemporaries. His tones are so beautiful, mellow. I'm smelling a VCS3, right? And a Minimoog. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing Blake's New Jerusalem, as I enjoyed this one immensly.

Also, a tiny part of Peter Frohmader's debut to complete my newest review on it.
Today the music just "clicked." I think I made a great playlist. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 00:14
Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Get Happy!"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 01:25
Tuesday...

Domadora - The Violent Mystical Sukuma 
Abrahma - Reflections In The Bowels Of A Bird 
Electric Octopus - This Is Our Culture 
Balero - The Impossible Crusade 
Soul Thief - Cosmic Woman  EP 
Bailjack - Show Me Your Heart 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 03:06

Zanov - Green Ray. It's the first time I've ever listened to Zanov. First thing that came to mind was Klaus Schulze, obviously, but there is something very distinctive about his music. I feel it's much lighter and not as... massive, overwhelming (which does often work well for Klaus, but makes Zanov's work equally good). Not all that memorable, but good enough to make me want to explore the rest of his discography. 

Tim Blake - Crystal Machine. THE KINGDOM OF THE ANALOG MODULAR. I really like Tim Blake's style. I think it's much different than that of his German and French contemporaries. His tones are so beautiful, mellow. I'm smelling a VCS3, right? And a Minimoog. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing Blake's New Jerusalem, as I enjoyed this one immensly.
Green Ray is really great. His next album is even more accessible but still good, the one after that is better though. The two recent ones sound very different, he mostly used VST's, but his compositional style is the same.

I have "New Jerusalem" but never heard that one. I'll have to change that.

Tangerine Dream - Poland (I only listened to this one once two years ago. It's really good, I'll have to get a copy of it someday)
Egg - The Polite Force (This one seemed more psychedelic than the debut. Great stuff Cool)
Siddhartha - Weltschmerz (Thanks for posting the video, Michael Thumbs Up)
Psicomagia - s/t (An adrenaline shot...)
Deuter - Aum (...followed by a sedative. This was a great idea, I can listen to aggressive music at night and also listen to a calm album without falling asleep Tongue)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 521>