Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 03:31
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Zanov - Green Ray. It's the first time I've ever listened to Zanov. First thing that came to mind was Klaus Schulze, obviously, but there is something very distinctive about his music. I feel it's much lighter and not as... massive, overwhelming (which does often work well for Klaus, but makes Zanov's work equally good). Not all that memorable, but good enough to make me want to explore the rest of his discography. 

Tim Blake - Crystal Machine. THE KINGDOM OF THE ANALOG MODULAR. I really like Tim Blake's style. I think it's much different than that of his German and French contemporaries. His tones are so beautiful, mellow. I'm smelling a VCS3, right? And a Minimoog. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing Blake's New Jerusalem, as I enjoyed this one immensly.
Green Ray is really great. His next album is even more accessible but still good, the one after that is better though. The two recent ones sound very different, he mostly used VST's, but his compositional style is the same.

I have "New Jerusalem" but never heard that one. I'll have to change that.

Tangerine Dream - Poland (I only listened to this one once two years ago. It's really good, I'll have to get a copy of it someday)
Egg - The Polite Force (This one seemed more psychedelic than the debut. Great stuff Cool)
Siddhartha - Weltschmerz (Thanks for posting the video, Michael Thumbs Up)
Psicomagia - s/t (An adrenaline shot...)
Deuter - Aum (...followed by a sedative. This was a great idea, I can listen to aggressive music at night and also listen to a calm album without falling asleep Tongue)

I'll check out that Zanov album later on today. Glad to see you enjoyed The Polite Force. It might indeed be interpreted as more psychedelic, yet far more technical. I need to check out Aum, I really liked Deuter's D.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 03:44
^ It's very different from "D", basically a set of short meditative/psychedelic ideas with acoustic guitar, sitar and lots of percussion linked by sea and bird sounds. It's quite good if you're in the right mood.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 04:01
I had an absolute smashing day of listening yesterday:

Earth & Fire - Song Of The Marching Children (Revisit 1 of the day)
Eberhard Weber - Yellow Fields (Revisit 2 sports the most velvety fusion almost akin to symph)
Egg - s/t (Up down sideways and in between. More organ please!)
Clivage - Mixtus Orbis (Saliva hits the floor)
Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Osorezan (Possibly the most outrageous album in my collection)
Gerard Manset - La Mort d'Orion (Ode to a planet)
Hermeto Pascoal - Slave Mass (Fusion a la Miles meets Brazil)
Herbert F Bairy - Traumspiel (1979 album that reeks of 1971 and acid and fumbling round in strange dark places.)
Hiro Yanagida - Hirocosmos (Canterbury feels from Japan)
Anna Själv Tredie - Tussilago Fanfara (Sweden's finest Berliner)

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 04:04

^ It's very different from "D", basically a set of short meditative/psychedelic ideas with acoustic guitar, sitar and lots of percussion linked by sea and bird sounds. It's quite good if you're in the right mood.

Seconded. There's sadly nothing that sounds like the debut in his subsequent career, but if one is looking for meditative and slowly brooding atmospheric music, then Deuter is the man. He is often heralded as one of the very first "New Age" composers.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 10:13
Joy Division - Closer
Pink Floyd - Animals
Camel - Mirage
National Health - Of Queues and Cures
Phil Miller / In Cahoots - Recent Discoveries
Phil Miller / In Cahoots - Parallel
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 11:31
Yesterday and today:

Simple Minds - Glittering Prize 81/92.
Vangelis - L'Apocalypse Des Animaux.
Peter Baumann - Machines Of Desire.
Placebo - Placebo (10th Anniversary Collector's Edition with extra tracks).
Suzanne Vega - Days Of Open Hand.
David Bowie - David Live 1974 (CD 1).
Goldie presents Rufige Kru - Malice In Wonderland.
Rapoon - Song From The End Of The World.
Otomo Yoshihide, Bill Laswell and Yoshigaki Yasuhiro - Soup Live (CD 1).
Boris Blank - Electrified (CD 2).

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 12:09
Magma - M.D.K.
Magma - KA

First time I've actually gotten around to listening to Magma and I've gotta say, they've won me over. Thumbs Up
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 13:47
Weidorje - Weidorje. It's not as great as I thought it was during my first listen, when I fell in love with zeuhl for the very first time.  However, don't be tricked by my first sentence. It's darn fine music. Phenomenal melodies, great, unorthodox arrangements, crispy, throbbing bass, and my favorite sound of all - Fender Rhodes.
Tim Blake - Blake's New Jerusalem. I didn't know a fusion like this was actually possible. The fantastic mixture of excellent electronica from Blake's first album and carefully-crafted post-hippie space-folk-pop gives really good, original results. The instrumental synth parts are what you come for, however. Blake knew how to dial in perfect sounds!
Popol Vuh - In Den Garten Pharaos. A great continuation of what Mr. Fricke and company presented on their debut. A bit more of that classic "Popol Vuh" sound with ethnic influences - more percussion anyway as well as a wider variety of keyboards. It's overall more focused than their debut. Which is equally good!
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things. Well, this is my second favorite thing from Coltrane, after Love Supreme. His playing is so tasty here. Only one musician so good could make a jazz-pop standard that "Summertime" is seem so cool, laidback. The title track is obviously a favorite and (fun fact) The Door's instrumental section on "Light My Fire" is based on the main progression from that.
Gila - Free Electric Sound. I'm starting to like that one! At first listen, I thought it was quite boring and unoriginal, but I guess I just wasn't in the mood. This time I started appreciating how this puts distinctive jamming themes to the table with great variation in between them. Great organ and guitar solos!
Klaus Schulze - Body Love. Thanks, Nico! Your review really made me want to check this one out. It was great! I really liked the overall stylistic o the album. It was very melodic (and had amazing synth timbres from Klaus), but also kept that very Schulzy integrity of slowly evolving soundscapes! Great, hope vol. 2 is nearly good!
This was my day. Smile
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 14:22

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things. Well, this is my second favorite thing from Coltrane, after Love Supreme. His playing is so tasty here.

These two albums are a tight choice for me, both are great!
I recommend checking "Crescent" too.

Klaus Schulze - Body Love. Thanks, Nico! Your review really made me want to check this one out. It was great! I really liked the overall stylistic o the album. It was very melodic (and had amazing synth timbres from Klaus), but also kept that very Schulzy integrity of slowly evolving soundscapes! Great, hope vol. 2 is nearly good!

Thanks!
Vol 2. is worth the listen too Wink

Edited by Modrigue - August 03 2016 at 14:25
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 17:51
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Vangelis - L'Apocalypse Des Animaux

Stunning album, one of his best! I love that early period of Vangelis where all his albums sounded completely different.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 17:54

Arkham - Arkham. Again, Michael, many thanks for telling me about this band - it's so close to what I love in the music of Egg and Soft Machine. Arkham are such phenomenal musicians and really, what I like about Egg, I like about this band. Egg's music has a bit more in common and puts less emphasis on improvisation (I'm talking especially about The Polite Force, which was highly likely the one they were influenced by, considering this was recorded in 1971 and 1972, their debut features more improv). But really, the arrangements are so great and it actually uses Farfisa organ... WITH FUZZ! Heart

Awesome, mate, glad you dig it. That's one great thing about prog/krautrock, etc, there's always more albums that keep popping up or you accidently discover just waiting around the corner!
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 00:10
Morphinist - "Giants"
Bernard Herrmann - "Psycho"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 03:16
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Stunning album, one of his best! I love that early period of Vangelis where all his albums sounded completely different.
Hmmm, I never heard that album. How is it?

Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple
Fire! Orchestra - Ritual
Happy The Man - Crafty Hands
Eloy - Planets
La Coscienza di Zeno - La Notte Anche di Giorno
Nemo - Coma
Michael Brückner - Naura
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 03:26

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hmmm, I never heard that album. How is it?

Simply one of the best soundtracks of Vangelis Smile

Edited by Modrigue - August 04 2016 at 03:26
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 03:39
I'm intrigued, I'll give it a listen later Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 03:45
I'm sure you'll dig it, Sam.

I sadly have been away from work with a kind of food poisoning, so all I have to offer is what I listened to on the way home from work last night:

Steve Roach - Shadow of Time/This Place to Be

and the first 20 minutes of `Cluster 2' this morning, before I pulled over in the car feeling my stomach churning and thinking `Nope, not risking this!' and drove back home!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 04 2016 at 03:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 03:54
^ Sorry to hear that. Is it because "Cluster 2" is a difficult album to stomach? Tongue

That's the new Steve Roach album, right?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 04:07
Put it this way, Sam. If you decide you have a craving for brussel sprouts, and for some reason you were lazy and bought a pre-packaged pack of them instead of picking them fresh like you usually do, and then when you decide days later you actually want them, notice that the `best before' date is two days out, and you can tell that they don't exactly look the best anymore, but you decide to cook and eat them anyway - DON'T!

Yep, the new Roach has a long track in the middle, and it initially said that the digital download version of that particular track will run 74 minutes, and now two days later after the announcement, seems like they're going to do two different CD releases, kind of like that `The Delicate Forever/Delicate Beyond' twin releases.

I'll admit, I wasn't able to concentrate on the second Cluster album much, I was too busy clutching my stomach trying to get home before the twisting pain in my guts (as Roger Waters would say on `The Wall') `fills me with the urge to defecate'!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 04 2016 at 04:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 04:30
It's better to never take risks in these cases. I had a terrible case of food poisoning when I was 14, I spent a whole week recovering and I sure learned the lesson.

Nice! I'm sure he'll make one of those combo packs. How many albums did he release this year, so far? Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 05:53
Not good Michael.
On the other hand, I've had a good run of listening this eve :
BANCO DMS - Banco
BERNARD PAGANOTTI - Paga
FRUUPP - Seven Secrets
ELEPAHANT9 - Walk The Nile
and currently on GURU GURU - Hinten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 522>