Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 06:43
It depends on your taste of course but up till their 4th album Rebirth the music is more heavy hard rock prog with heavy guitars and keyboards more inspired by Deep Purple/Uriah Heep, great stuff really I would recommend Rebirth from that period. Their next two are just outstanding progressive albums, their sound is different now, the arrangements are much more complex and interesting and the overall sound is progier.
My personal favorite is Plastic People but Backdoor Possibilities is their most progressive album very tight and their most complex, excellent stuff!
Later they went towards a more friendly sound less complex but still good imo, I don't have all their albums, I just have the first eight or so.

I know Michael adores the first period and would probably recommend Rebirth or Hoodoo Man, so it's up to your taste really.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 07:31
Hah, Sagi, I just transferred the first few Kraan albums back onto my Ipod for nightshift tonight!

You can't go wrong with most of the first several Birth Control albums, Sam. The debut is nice but forgettable, but the next few after it like `Operation' and `Hoodoo Man' and the `Live' album are all terrific. Sagi mentions `Rebirth' as well, but for some reason I find that one absolutely dull, I can't work out why I just simply don't engage with it. I've bought `Plastic People' several months ago but still haven't listened to it, but `Backdoor Possibilities' is terrific, very Gentle Giant-flavoured into comparison to the early Hammond organ crunchers.

OK, this nightshift block I'll make my way through them all again!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 07:53
Thanks guys Thumbs Up I'll listen to all albums between "Operation" and "Backdoor Possibilities" then.
There's not much happening this year so I have more time to discover some classic Prog.
I never heard anything from Uriah Heep either, by the way Embarrassed
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 10:00
Moanin' (Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers)
Trout Mask Replica (Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band)
Homotopy To Marie (Nurse With Wound)
Cartoon (Cartoon)
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 13:35

What a great day!

Maxophone - Maxophone Hmm.... interesting sound. They alternate those powerful organ/guitar passages, in the vein of Banco, Museo Rosenbach, which I've found I like in RPI and more popular song-like parts, rightfully compared to Peter Gabriel. Great musicianship and it's definitely well-thought. Pretty nice!

Henry Cow - LegEnd As I mentioned over in that Henry Cow Appreciation Collective thread, this listen today did something that music rarely does to me. The atmosphere was so tense at one point, I started crying like a little kid. This is as good as music gets for me. It's unbelievable what it does to me.

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Banco del Mutuo Soccorso Being in an outstanding mood, I decided to carry on with my favorites. And heck, is this one of them! There is nothing I would ever want to change about this album. It's one of the reflections of my character and my soul. I only wish I could speak Italian.

Kollektiv - Kollektiv Kollektive lays on a jazz-rock-influenced, jam-based side of krautrock music. And this album is very representative of the style. Very enjoyable, if (like me) you like listening to bunch of guys jamming to one chord for 10 minutes. The flute playing is definitely a highlight!

Robert Wyatt - The End of an Ear This is one of the CDs I bought on my trip to London and it was a good idea to finally get myself to revisit Wyatt's first solo effort. I was pleasantly surprised, I remembered this one as sort of dull and uninteresting, while in reality it's a highly original journey through a twisted, original mind of a visionary.

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia Di Un Minuto I think I actually like this one better than Per Un Amico, as I mentioned in the Italian Poll thread today. The compositions are very fulfilling, romantic, satisfying, and aesthetic - just how I like it.

Earthstar - Salterbarty Tales Only a supreme reptilian elite knows this band. It's as obscure as Berlin School gets. Although these guys come from the US, they allegedly travelled to Berlin and were embraced by Klaus Schulze and co. Their music is a very avant-garde take on Schulze-like ambient. Tasty!

All of the above mentioned works go so well with my current lecture - Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (which would make for an amazing prog concept album).

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 24 2016 at 13:37
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 13:50
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Henry Cow - LegEnd As I mentioned over in that Henry Cow Appreciation Collective thread, this listen today did something that music rarely does to me. The atmosphere was so tense at one point, I started crying like a little kid. This is as good as music gets for me. It's unbelievable what it does to me.

Was it the transition from Teenbeat Introduction to Teenbeat? That build up from scattered improvisational playing to a grandiose, unified crescendo is easily one of my favorite Henry Cow moments. In general, I love songs that subtly transition from free-form to structured or vice versa.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 13:51
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Was it the transition from Teenbeat Introduction to Teenbeat? That build up from scattered improvisational playing to a grandiose, unified crescendo is easily one of my favorite Henry Cow moments. In general, I love songs that subtly transition from free-form to structured or vice versa.

No, that is tense indeed, but it was actually two moments. The very beginning of "Teenbeat Reprise" and the closing of "Nine Funerals." But you've got a great point there! I exactly see what you meant! Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 14:51
Birth Control - Operation

Kraan – s/t – How odd, I’ve listened to their second and third albums `Wintrupp’ and `Andy Nogger’ plenty over the years, yet for some reason I’ve neglected the s/t debut, and why?! It’s freaking excellent! Going to put this baby into repeat play over the next few weeks.

Robert Schroeder – Driftin’
Rush – Moving Pictures
P.F.M – Chocolate Kings
Various Artists - Ambient Arkansas

P.F.M – Paper Charms Live (disc one) - Live PFM performances were incredible in the early 70’s (there’s several nice bootleg recordings scattered around the net too), especially the lengthy improvised/jamming passages – I just wish they resisted more often the urge to go `Full Tonto’ with their frequent fall-back on the William Tell theme! )
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 15:34

Maxophone - Maxophone Hmm.... interesting sound. They alternate those powerful organ/guitar passages, in the vein of Banco, Museo Rosenbach, which I've found I like in RPI and more popular song-like parts, rightfully compared to Peter Gabriel. Great musicianship and it's definitely well-thought. Pretty nice!
I bought it recently, I'm still getting into it. I'm not happy about the sound quality of my reissue though Ouch

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Rush – Moving Pictures
P.F.M – Chocolate Kings

P.F.M – Paper Charms Live (disc one) - Live PFM performances were incredible in the early 70’s (there’s several nice bootleg recordings scattered around the net too), especially the lengthy improvised/jamming passages – I just wish they resisted more often the urge to go `Full Tonto’ with their frequent fall-back on the William Tell theme! )
Listening to Lanzetti after Geddy? I don't think I could do that LOL

There is no PFM concert without William Tell Tongue

All first and second listens today:
Eloy - Live (I didn't notice many significant differences from the studio versions, but it always sounds different live)
Pulsar - The Strands of the Future (It seems better than the first album, it has such a great spacey atmosphere)
Birth Control - Operation (I really liked it, there's certainly Deep Purple influence but some songs had percussion and lots of Hammond that reminded me of the early Santana albums. The last track was also quite different from the previous ones)
Cherry Five - s/t (It's funny, I had the sudden idea to give this album another listen and curiously one of the songs is the title of the book I'm reading. It sounds a lot like Yes but it doesn't sound like an imitation to my ears)
T2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland (Very nice album and quite heavy for 1970)
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 00:18
Dennis Wilson - "Pacific Ocean Blue"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 00:21
In The Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 00:50
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

In The Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad

that's an awesome album Clap 
I've got to make time for it, haven't listened to it in quite a while Smile
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 06:03
^  I agree, it is an awesome album and the guitarist is excellent.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 07:30
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Listening to Lanzetti after Geddy? I don't think I could do that LOL

There is no PFM concert without William Tell Tongue

I prefer Geddy of the two, that's for sure!

So they always did that damn William Tell thing?! Boooooooooo!

Cool you dug Birth Control's `Operation', pretty easy album to enjoy. I've put `Rebith' back on my Ipod for tonight, giving that a spin now. I think it's probably a good album, but I always seem to remember that the drummer Noske doesn't sing lead vocals on it as much (and to me, he's just as important to the identity of BC as, say, Frank B is to Eloy), so it doesn't like like a classic Birth Control disc to me so much, plus it has a more American sound. Who knows, maybe tonight will be the first time I love it.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 08:12
^ Operation is the only album I have that I still don't really like, it's been a few years since I last heard it so it might sound different now, I'll give it a spin now.

Sam I absolutely adore that T2 album, hard rock prog at its finest.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 08:19
I just finished `Rebirth' again now, I don't mind it, but it still seems really unengaging compared to the albums on either side of it. I think the longest track `Together Alone Tonight' is beyond dreary, and that wretched drum solo in the final minutes of `Back From Hell' is tedious. The fact that Peter Föller sings lead vocals on two or three of the tracks doesn't help either, his voice has no character or flair like Bernd Noske's does! The first side is better than the second though, for me anyway.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 13:15
Le Orme - Felona e Sorona I did not particularly enjoy the previous one, this one was far better, for me. The instrumental parts are the highlight for me. Very skilled. The vocal parts sound a bit poppy, but still in great taste. And (probably I'm the only one), but Aldo's voice reminds me very much of Martin Turner from Wishbone Ash.

Happy the Man - Happy the Man I'm happy I'd decided to check out Happy the Man a while ago. Althogh they sit in the eclectic prog category, they are very much up my Canterbury/avant-rock alley. Sometimes, the string synth overtones annoy me a bit, but still, the band sounds very creative here.

Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - Contaminazione Along with Palepoli, Area's and Banco's debut, Zarathustra, and a few others, this is my favorite RPI album by far. It's hard to describe, but those guys really fulfill my aesthetic taste and I absolutely love their performance of the music.

News From Babel - Letters Home I prefer this to their debut, which I'm not saying is of lesser quality, by no means. It's less accessible in my opinion. We've got Robert Wyatt singing on this one. Not even a second in his singing, my mind already patches little cables to call the final message - Wyatt. I would recognize that voice in every situation. Amazing album, very Cow-like I'd say.

Premiata Forneria Marconi - L'Isola Di Niente It's very interesting, it sounds different from PFM's previous albums. And it is indeed very Yes-like. It's kind of hard to say anything specific about this album for me. It's pretty enjoyable and the choir is a nice touch!

John Zorn - O'o After seeing José listen to this album often, I was curious to check it out. A few minutes in and I'm thinking "but where is the saxophone?" And then I realized John Zorn does not even play on this album, I take it these are his compositions. But look, we've got the amazing Mark Ribot. The music serves for great background and is very chill.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 14:40
Tonight's selections:

Birth Control – Rebirth
Libra – s/t
Black Sabbath – Never Say Die
Premiata Forneria Marconi – L’Isola di Niente
Procession – Frontiera
Amon Duul 2 – Tanz der Lemminge
Tangerine Dream – Firewalker
Dragon – s/t
Arti e Mestieri – Tilt
Steve Roach & Robert Logan – Biosonic
Steve Roach – Sigh of Ages
Bing Satellites – Twilight Sessions: Volume 18
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 15:45
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Quasar - Man Coda
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Zygoat - Zygoat
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 23:32
Cambrian Explosion - The Moon
Slomatics - Estron 
Elysion - Someplace Better
Yuri Gagarin - Yuri Gagarin 
Sungrinder - From Within The Cosmic Cloud
Shrinebuilder - Shrinebuilder
Papir - Papir IIII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 522>