Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 00:25
Dream Theater - "Images and Words"
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 05:47
Hamster Theater - Carnival Detournement 8/10
Fred Frith - Guitar Solos 7/10
Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - Contaminazione 6/10
Archie Shepp - Mama Too Tight 8.5/10
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 08:33
Le Orme - Contrappunti
Chrome Hoof - Pre-Emptive False Rapture
Bent Knee - Say So
Heldon - Agneta Nilsson
Et Cetera - S/T
Magma - Floe Essi Ektah
Present - Certitudes
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 09:49
Over the last few days:

Peter Gabriel - New Blood.
The Verve - No Come Down (B Sides & Outtakes).
Jean Michel Jarre - Hong Kong.
The Afghan Whigs - Unbreakable: A Retrospective 1990-2006.
Unkle - Never Never Land Deluxe Special Edition (CD 2).
Mick Harris and Eraldo Bernocchi - Total Station.
Tangerine Dream - Thief.
Gang Of Four - Solid Gold.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - B Sides And Rarities (CD 3).
Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Music.

Edited by King Only - August 26 2016 at 10:10
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 12:44
Il Balletto di Bronzo - Ys Love this album by bits. Somewhat similar to Museo Rosenbach's Zarathustra, but more technical, less Genesis-y and more... Dunno. Their sound is so original. Heavy, yet finesse and tasteful. Amazing. They are such good writers. The music is nearly flawless. I like how someone once said (I think it was Dereck Higgins in one of the vlogs) that the vocals are over the top, but the music deserves it. Exactly that!
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother This is Pink Floyd in its creative peak. Probably not, but close. I really like the experimental era of Floyd, pretty much everything up until Meddle. Not that I don't like Meddle or DSOTM, but I would love to hear what Pink Floyd would have sounded like if they kept on experimenting. I think, as we once speculated with Tom, the band Dom with their album Edge Of Time gets pretty close to being a more developed Saucerful Of Secrets.
Latte e Miele - Passio Secundum Mattheum This name shows up frequently when it comes to RPI, so I decided to check them out. Their music has something of krautrock, in my mind. As delicate and varied as it is, it is pretty raw and rough and just by the music, you can hear they were a rather obscure act. The music does not remind me of anything specific, sort of a melting pot of the influences from all around, I think. Solid writing and performance.
Henry Cow - Western Culture One of the best from HC (but then again which one isn't?), their swansong is really mature and well-thought. The compositions are nothing like old HC, instead they seem to take this chamber rock using jazz instrumentation and add touches of industrial (Tim's Farfisa glitch sounds). When I had first reviewed it, I gave it 5 stars, which I regreted later, only to find out this was a right move recently.
Alphataurus - Alphataurus I guess it's a pretty good album. I did not go crazy about it, I probably just wasn't in the right mood. Sometimes, even the best music just does nothing to you. You don't seem to get any fun out of it or feel any passion, feel wasted, having to force yourself to notice music. That sucks. But it's a good album and I can tell that even if I did not appreciate it when I listened to it. Pretty Yes-y, in my mind. Kind of similar to Seramis' one-shot.
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra I started writing a review on that album yesterday. Today it was mostly just polishing (and I still find some mistakes there Wacko) It's the longest review of mine by far (almost 1400 words). I won't say anything about the album here. I would appreciate it if you could take some time to check the review out, even if you provided feedback and tips on how to improve and what bores the reader. I'd appreciate it!
Fred Frith - Guitar Solos This album was on top of my head for a few days now and seeing one of the peeps here had listened to it, I had to revisit it. This serves well as background music, really interesting what Frith was doing other than writing compositions in 51/16 for Henry Cow. LOL Sort of like free jazz. This is very hypnotic and goes suprisingly well with cleaning the house.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 12:56
Charlemagne Palestine - Strumming Music (first listen, tough to rate but once it gets going, it's pretty great)
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy 7.5/10

Listening later tonight to 1930 and Pulse Demon, both by the almight Merzbow. I weep for my soon-to-be lost hearing.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 23:40
Jupiter - Your Eccentric State Of Mind
Temnee - Dialectics 
Tank 86 - Obey 
Triptonus - Triptonus
Earthmass - Collapse
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 00:30
Dennis Wilson - "Pacific Ocean Blue"
Rush - "Hemispheres"
Rush - "Moving Pictures"
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 07:30
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
I started writing a review on that album yesterday. Today it was mostly just polishing (and I still find some mistakes there Wacko) It's the longest review of mine by far (almost 1400 words). I won't say anything about the album here. I would appreciate it if you could take some time to check the review out, even if you provided feedback and tips on how to improve and what bores the reader. I'd appreciate it!

I just read through your review and ultimately I think you nailed it. I loved all of the historical background and I was certainly inspired to revisit the album. All I would make note of is that you tended to "over-write" when describing side one. I found that whole paragraph a tad overwhelming to follow. Perhaps just remove a few of the redundant adjectives and adverbs and I think it'll make the whole review a lot more streamlined. Again, great job!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 07:48
Tymon, it’s a great review, mate. I wouldn’t worry too much about what other people think, it’s best to develop a writing style that best suits you, whether it be shorter or longer. I used to like what I affectionately referred to as the `biblical length epics’ (and I still make the exception for those on the bigger `event’ releases that demand a bit more time spent on them), but nowadays I find a better sense of flow and rhythm with about four paragraphs – intro, discuss side a, discuss side b, conclusion (or splitting CD contents into roughly two halves of the same size). Another thing to remember is, for every review you write, either some people will read it and respond to it in some way, or no one will read it all! So it’s best to simply focus on yourself and writing in a way that is personally fulfilling first and foremost. After all, in the end, us amateur reviewers are simply just music dorks with too much time on our hands! I personally write from the perspective of `This album is absolutely amazing and I must tell the whole world about it!!’, whether anyone is listening or not! I’ve had some reviews that have been completely ignored, others that have had hundreds of likes on Facebook (which absolutely baffles me, who are these people, and where are they seeing my review?!), and even one or two that have had over a thousand `likes’, which I have absolutely no explanation for!

Last night's choices:

Marsupilami – Arena
Birth Control - Live
Deuter - D
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso – Darwin!
P.F.M – Live in the USA (wish I had the expanded `Cook’ version)
Mirror - Daybreak
Amon Duul – Yeti
Tangerine Dream – Alpha Centauri
Tangerine Dream – Underwater Sunlight
Wolfgang Gsell – Everlasting
Steve Roach – Shadow of Time
Bing Satellites – Twilight Sessions: volume 18
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 07:59
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Tymon, it’s a great review, mate. I wouldn’t worry too much about what other people think, it’s best to develop a writing style that best suits you, whether it be shorter or longer. I used to like what I affectionately referred to as the `biblical length epics’ (and I still make the exception for those on the bigger `event’ releases that demand a bit more time spent on them), but nowadays I find a better sense of flow and rhythm with about four paragraphs – intro, discuss side a, discuss side b, conclusion (or splitting CD contents into roughly two halves of the same size). Another thing to remember is, for every review you write, either some people will read it and respond to it in some way, or no one will read it all! So it’s best to simply focus on yourself and writing in a way that is personally fulfilling first and foremost. After all, in the end, us amateur reviewers are simply just music dorks with too much time on our hands! I personally write from the perspective of `This album is absolutely amazing and I must tell the whole world about it!!’, whether anyone is listening or not! I’ve had some reviews that have been completely ignored, others that have had hundreds of likes on Facebook (which absolutely baffles me, who are these people, and where are they seeing my review?!), and even one or two that have had over a thousand `likes’, which I have absolutely no explanation for!

Love the way you put it, mate! Smile I really enjoyed your review of Marsupilami, the name seemed familiar (probably from the times when I explored this early organ-driven prog, like Aardvark, Czar etc., like a madman LOL). Nice list there!

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I just read through your review and ultimately I think you nailed it. I loved all of the historical background and I was certainly inspired to revisit the album. All I would make note of is that you tended to "over-write" when describing side one. I found that whole paragraph a tad overwhelming to follow. Perhaps just remove a few of the redundant adjectives and adverbs and I think it'll make the whole review a lot more streamlined. Again, great job!

Knew it! Sometimes I just can't cut the chase when discussing the things I love, which, as you might have noticed, was the case with the title suite here. LOL I will try to follow your advise. And thank you for your compliments!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:19
Arti + Mestieri - Tilt Amazing. I have loved this one since I decided to check it out after reading about it in one of the prog rock books. In fact, this might be the first RPI album I've listened to. Anyway, I think they really nail that fusion of jazz-rock a la Softs or Mahavishnu and symphonic elements of PFM. The closing title track is absolutely killer!
Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde Di Aries Were I suprised? Just by looking at micky's avatar the album cover, I would think this is some really romantic Italian prog. What this is in reality is what I would call Kluster from Italy with all the typical Italian goodies. Interesting to say the least!
Potemkine - Foetus A teeny tiny bit boring, but a very original and fascinating take on zeuhl. I love that Fender Rhodes sound and as a guitarist, I find the guitar-dominated melodies simply addictive. Dynamically, this is rather unvaried, but it's a great album!
John Zorn & Fred Frith - The Art Of Memory  This album feels like drinking bleach. Confused I have watched Fred Frith's movie Step Across the Border today and it was a very interesting watch. I need to watch it once more to fully comprehend the whole vision, but still, I am slowly getting familiarized with the whole improv/free-form scene, which, at times, is difficult for me. This particular album is good (Frithetronics, noises from Guitar Solos, plus typical Zorny wailings on sax), but definitely not for every occasion.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 27 2016 at 13:19
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:26
Very enthusiastic Zarathustra review, Tymon. Great read Thumbs Up

Last thursday:
Birth Control - Hoodoo Man (More proggy than the previous album. The title track was the only I knew from them before, because of the pipe organ solo)
Michael Brückner - The Days of Johnnie Zilch (A fictitious soundtrack, very fun listen)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:58
I haven't heard that particular Michael B one, Sam.

Tonight's busy selection!

Area – Arbeit Macht Frei
Birth Control – Plastic People
Embryo – Father, Son and Holy Ghost
Banco del Muto Soccorso – Io Sono Nato Libero
Andreas Volenweider – Down to the Moon
Ange – Le Cimetiere des Arlequins
Cherry Five – s/t
Festa Mobile – Diario di Viaggio Della Festa Mobile
Gong – Expresso II
Guru Guru – Tango Fango
Uriah Heep – The Magician’s Birthday
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 18:56
Tangerine Dream - Atem 7.5/10  Hate the first six minutes, but the rest is pretty good. TD's strangest, quietest album
Univers Zero - Ceux du Dehors 7.5  Better than the first time I listened to it, surprisingly varied and inventive for what initially comes off as a formulaic album (by RIO standards). Might have to raise the rating.
Nadja - Bliss Torn From Emptiness (first listen) No idea how to rate this one. Wildly inconsistent, with material befitting anywhere from a 9/10 to a 5/10. Most contemporary experimental metal albums don't live up to their incredibly lofty ambitions but this one came pretty close. Generally, the dark ambient stuff is great, while the metal elements feel tame and dull in comparison. The first six minutes (quite ironically) are fantastic, but then a simplistic riff comes in and partially-ruins the next ten minutes. I'll give this a 7/10 for now, it probably deserves more. A weird, flawed semi-masterpiece to join the ranks of Asva's Whatever You Don't Know is Frontier and Boris' Absolutego; other albums that didn't quite succeed at being truly great, but tried so hard and so admirably that I still enjoy and respect them a great deal. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 23:58
Rush - "Hemispheres"
Blue Öyster Cult - "Agents of Fortune"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 02:08
Electric Magma - Silverball 
Mother Engine - Muttermaschine
Sun Mammuth - Cosmo
Old Blood - Old Blood
Mother Mars - Steam Machine Museum

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 02:20
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Birth Control – Plastic People
I hope your CD wasn't mad you forgot about him Tongue
Did you have a good first listening?

Me yesterday

Henry Cow - Legend (it's been too long I think, what an amazing album it is!)
Blocco Mentale - Poa
Birth Control - Operation
Le Orme - Uomo Di Pezza
Le Orme - Contrappunti
King Crimson - Live In Toronto 2015 (outstanding!!)
Alcatraz - Vampire State Building
England - Garden Shed
Ayreon - The Final Experiment
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 05:20
Tymon. I really liked your review. Back stories and historical References livin' up any review.
I like the way Michael put it...'epic biblical.' He is right cause sometimes you feel you have to cover every ground or possible avenue of love and passion for which you have for the album. I'm like that as well sometimes.
Being carried away with words can be a lot of bottle....I mean fun sometimes. I still dig your passion!
Thank you for the read.   

Listening pleasures for the last week. Not a lot cause my work hrs are crazy, but as you all know one thing about me is that I will always put b up a fight to grab at least 1 hr a day for time in my sonic universe.

Steve Roach-- Halcyon days
APP-- Live In Colombia 2013
Saviour Machine-- Live In Deutschland (2002)-- this is one of my favourite live albums. A real commitment to the legend trilogy. Absolutely excellent. Nearly 3hrs in length. Had to space it out over 2 days to finish it. I miss the winter cause by then I have waaaaay more time to and for myself. :)

Peter Gabriel-- Plays live! (1984.) pretty damn good but not quite as good as live in Athens (1987.)
Logos-- La Enigma del vita ( omg I just love the modern and retro melding of RPI sounds/styles.)

Talk with you guys next week. Traveling to London, ONT for work. May the PROG be with you.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 09:04
Yesterday:

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Magma - 1.001° Centigrades Clap Thanks Tymon. That was truly fantastic, the feelings I had are the same when I listened LegEnd for the first time. Mind-blowing! Thanks for encouraging me to listen to it. I'm really excited to listen more Zeuhl, but I don't know what should be the next one... Approve

Spinetta Jade - Alma de Diamante
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 522>