Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 12:53
From the stressful days filled with exhausting work and anxiety connected with it, finally comes a wonderful, passionate listening day.

Clivage - Mixtus Orbis My first Indo-Prog album, I think. Absolutely love this. Very spiritual, symphonic, exotic-sounding, jazzy, highly intelligent music. In terms of how the music reacts with me, it sits very close to Magma. However, it stands fantastically on its own. Really looking forward to revisiting this in the close future.

Throbbing Gristle - D.O.A: The Third and Final Report This is where musical interests of mine and my dad's come together. We had a listen to this one during breakfast and agreed that Throbbing Gristle is a very original, exceptional band. No, this is definitely not easy listening. In some circumstances, this kind of music is really sterling.

Soft Machine - Volume Two Having watched the BBC Radiophonic Workshop broadcast with Soft Machine that I've shared over in the other thread, I felt a very strong urge to revisit the album it took me a while to like, by one of my favorite bands of all time. And now I'm here, unable to get "Hibou Anemone and Bear" out of my head. LOL

Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz This was not an easy album to dig for me during the first few listens, but I've really started appreciating the music recently. What gets me everytime is the cute, percussive, harpsichord-imitating synthesizer sound. The guitar is fantastic, too. All in all, I've got to admit - this music is excellent.

Musica Elettronica Viva - Friday If you've been following my posts on this thread, you might have noticed I really enjoy deep listening. This album is fabulous proto-industrial, avant-ambient, early electronic effort that really captures the spirit of late sixties' academic approach to experimental music.

Sun Ra - Atlantis I have really been enjoying Sun Ra recently. This is perhaps the most experimental of the albums I've listened to. His cosmic instrument, Farfisa, is on the lead here together with ethnic percussion.The big band supports the background.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 13:41
Damn you Jim and Mike. All this Pantera talk is getting me hot!
They bring it, man! Tenfold! Vinny Paul is a seriously good drummer. He is and has always been the highlight for me in Pantera.

Laze man on a Sunday afternoon....

DTP-- Transcendence
Rush-- Different Stages (disc 1 only.)
IQ-- The Road of Bones
Slipknot-- .5 The Gray Chapter ( f**k this album is incredible and having it 24/96k adds to the joy like mad!)
Slipknot-- S/T ( another incredible recording.)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers-- The Getaway MQS (24bit/48k) ( wow. I'm so glad I gave this album a chance. It's the best album they've ever done. I haven't liked anything from these guys since 1999's Californication. They've crushed it with this album and have expanded their musical depth by quite a fair margin. I highly recommend this album. It will shock you by how bloody easy it is to listen to. All 13 tracks are lovely.
Arena-- Immortal? ( I wonder how many times I will ever have to listen to this album to get it out of my system...it just won't leave. )
Autechre-- Incanabula ( electronic/ambient gold!)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 14:07
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Yeah, there's a couple of tracks on side 4 of PG I can do without as well ("Boogie with Stu" and "Black Country Woman"), but the rest of it I like. I have more problems with "Kashmir" myself. Sleepy

B&B are crazy, that's true. Crazy good that is. Wink
Really? Got to love the Mellotron on that one Smile

Indeed! Big smile

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Agusa - TVA  (Malmo, Sweden  2015)   Instrumental / Psychedelic Space Rock  (with a bit of Folk) 
Here's an album I forgot to check out last year Embarrassed
Definitely check out the Agusa album. I also like Katarsis (live) that came out last month.  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
I second the Agusa - Två recommendation. Thumbs UpThumbs Up A top 2 album from last year for me (no two-puns intended, believe it or not LOL). The enhanced Nordic folk touches here, contra their debut, makes this a truly emotional album for me (love that Nordic folk stuff).
Thanks for the recommendation, guys Thumbs Up I heard a track from it on a local radio Prog show last year and it sounded lovely Smile

The Rising Sun Experience - Beyond The Oblivious Abyss  (Lisboa, Portugal  2014)   Funk, psychedelic, folk, classic rock with heavy keys, percussion and guitars   
Hmmmm, I'm intrigued! I never heard of them Shocked

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Jethro Tull – Songs from the Wood (Sam, I’m kind of shocked, but this Dull album actually seems rather good...or at least nothing enrages me on it, and it's much more complex instrumentally lol Have you heard it yourself?)
I never heard it, I'll keep it in mind... I heard Aqualung last month and it's still early to give JT another try Dead

This weekend:
Wolfmother - s/t (In the car, it's less offensive to the ears Tongue)
Salem's Pot - Pronounce This! (Even better this time Smile)
Jamiroquai - A Funky Odyssey
Earth Wind & Fire - Spirit
Mr. Bungle - California
The Winstons - s/t (Great way to start a Sunday morning Approve)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 20:42
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Damn you Jim and Mike. All this Pantera talk is getting me hot!
They bring it, man! Tenfold! Vinny Paul is a seriously good drummer. He is and has always been the highlight for me in Pantera.

Thumbs Up

Slow day here...

Happy Rhodes - Building the Colossus
Happy Rhodes - Warpaint
Seven Impale - Contrapasso

Edited by Finnforest - September 25 2016 at 21:58

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 21:53
Vangellis - Rosetta (2016)....  Awesome!!!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 21:54
Allman Brothers Band - SUNY at Stonybrook: 9/19/71
Nau Aletheia - S/T
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic 

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 21:58
Vangellis - Rosetta (2016)....  Awesome!!
North Sea Radio Orchestra..... 100% brilliant!!  Great music, who appreciates good music!!!
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 22:48
The Band - s/t
Bob Dylan - "John Wesley Harding"
Bob Dylan & The Band - "The Basement Tapes"
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Cosmo's Factory"
Trendy Dog With Sunglasses  - "Trendy Dog And Her Home In The Mountains"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 01:03
Sunday...

The Rising Sun Experience - Under The Same Sun  (Lisboa, Portugal  2009)  Classic psychedelic rock, hard rock, debut album
Solar Blaze - Seen The Light  (Vienna, Austria  2014)   Progressive Rock / Psychedelic Rock  
Pyramidal - Frozen Galaxies  (Alicante, Spain  2013)   Instrumental psychedelic space rock 
Galaxies In The River - Old Still  (Toronto, Canada  2013)   Instrumental heavy psychedelic rock 
Dead Sea Apes - Soy Dios EP  (Manchester, England  2010)   Instrumental experimental psychedelic rock 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 03:59
Last night:
Arena - Contagion Max (CD2)
Esfera - All the Colours of Madness (I really like this album but the Post Rock-ish production is a letdown in my opinion, especially when keyboards and vocals are buried by layers and layers of guitars.)
Dom - Edge of Time (No need for lots of instruments to make an epic album. Am I the only one who heard "beam me up Scotty" on the second track (besides the KC sample)? Tongue)
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 04:07
Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager
Moody Blues - The Present
Moody Blues - A Night at the Red Rocks
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 04:29
Violator - Depeche Mode
Breakfast in America - Supertramp

so far... It's only 11:30am...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 04:57
Steve Hillage - L
Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship - Blows Against the Empire

Kansas - The Prelude Implicit - Their new album, a risky blind buy...and it's terrific! The new singer sounds a lot like a smoother version of Ted Leonard of Enchant and the recent Spock's Beard albums, he has an incredible voice, and despite it having plenty of AOR moments (which, to be fair, have been on every one of their albums since the self-titled debut!), it sounds like they just picked up from where `Point of Know Return' left off, and even sounding a lot like the Neal Morse/Spock's Beard albums. Within one minute of the opening track the album sounds like classic Kansas, I think fans will absolutely love it. Definitely a very unexpected and welcome surprise!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 12:31
Supersister - To the Highest Bidder
White Noise - An Electric Storm
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 12:47
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Steve Hillage - L
Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship - Blows Against the Empire

Kansas - The Prelude Implicit - Their new album, a risky blind buy...and it's terrific! The new singer sounds a lot like a smoother version of Ted Leonard of Enchant and the recent Spock's Beard albums, he has an incredible voice, and despite it having plenty of AOR moments (which, to be fair, have been on every one of their albums since the self-titled debut!), it sounds like they just picked up from where `Point of Know Return' left off, and even sounding a lot like the Neal Morse/Spock's Beard albums. Within one minute of the opening track the album sounds like classic Kansas, I think fans will absolutely love it. Definitely a very unexpected and welcome surprise!

Hey Michael, I was curious what this new Kansas album would be like.  From your thoughts here and others that I have seen, looks like they found a little bit of that old magic with new blood from the recent members.  I think I will pick this one up.

What I listened to yesterday on a road trip:
Styx - Wooden Nickel Recordings
Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water
Black Sabbath - Technical Ectasy

Edited by AEProgman - September 26 2016 at 12:50
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 21:47
Grateful Dead - The Closing of Winterland 12/31/78
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 22:38
Monday...

1000mods - Repeated Exposure To...  (Corinth, Greece  2016)   Heavy rock, psych, stoner, fuzz
Burn Thee Insects - Droid Intelligence  (Jerome, Arizona  2016)   Desert / Stoner / Fuzz  (father and son duo)
Greenleaf - Rise Above The Meadow  (Borlange, Sweden  2016)   Hard Rock / Stoner Rock  
Toundra - (I)  (Madrid, Spain  2009)   Instrumental Post Metal with dual guitars
Witchrider - Unmountable Stairs  (Graz, Austria  2014)   Alternative / Stoner / Occult 
Sun Drifter - Not Coming Back  (Boston, Mass.  2016)   Heavy Rock / Desert / Stoner 

Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 23:14
The Band - "Music From Big Pink"
The Band - s/t
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"
Doc Watson - "Memories"
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 02:09
Moody Blues - This is the Moody Blues (symphonic rock)
Penguin Prison - Lost in New York (indiepop)
St. Lucia - Spotify Sessions (indiepop/indietronica, with a distinct 80's feel)

Edited by Kingsnake - September 27 2016 at 02:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 03:19
Agusa - Två (Lovely album with plenty of Hammond. Wasn't this too much keyboard based for you, Gary? Tongue)
La Düsseldorf - s/t
Klaus Morlock - Penumbra
Maserati - Rehumanizer
Shamblemaths - s/t (It seemed better this time but it still needs more listens)
Acid Mess - II
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 522>