Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 01:16
Today's choices for me:

Metallica - Death Magnetic
Sandrose – s/t
Earth and Fire – Song of the Marching Children
Oresund Space Collective – Out into Space (disc 1)
Pendragon – The World
I.Q - The Wake - I swear this is tons better than the debut.
Jadis – More than Meets the Eye - Their one truly great album.
Arena – Songs from the Lion’s Cage - A really strong debut for them.

Marillion – Fugazi - With each passing year, I’m oddly finding the Fish-era Marillion albums more and more cold, shrill and harsh.

Marillion – Holidays in Eden - So many of the Hogarth-led Marillion albums (especially the newer ones) resort to him delivering these mumbled, scattered vocals, so at least this album is very focused and melodic…not every track is a knockout and the album gets a bit `samey’ towards the end, but it’s still a consistently punchy mix of pop/rock smarts and crisp soloing from guitarist Steve Rothery – something of an underrated album.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Supersister - Present for Nancy I've recently focused on revisiting the terrific band that Supersister is. This album is very much in the vein of Soft Machine's Volume Two, now that I'm thinking, but it has more variety, some great ambeint passages.

Hope you pull together alright, mate! Hmmm, you might just have to stay home for a while doing nothing but listening to music - oh the horror!!

That Supersister one is a ripper! I sadly don't have it (I've lost count of how many times I've spun it on YouTube though), although I've noticed there's quite a few budget-priced sets that cram two of their albums onto the one CD. The only thing is, it seems to play havoc with my OCD, it's like a mix of their first and fourth album, etc. I'm like `Dammit, I need continuity, not re-arranging the order of their discography!' But I'll be getting onto them shortly. I do have the CD of their fifth and final album `Spiral Staircase', but I don't recall it being too special. Might have to give it a fresh spin. Their fourth album `Iskander' is in a different style as well, but still a fine album on its own.

Yeah, I was looking for some Supersister records online yesterday and they are all pretty pricey. Not inexpensive enough to be owned by an average Joe, yet not expensive enough to be reissued, if that makes any sense. LOL I'll maybe look into the sets you've mentioned. A comp of Present For Nancy, To the Highest Bidder, and Pudding en Gisteren on three seperate CDs would be just what I'm looking for. Big smile
But yeah, Supersister are a great band! If you like them and have not investigated Moving Geltaine Plates yet, that band is highly recommended. Although the instrumentation is different and the style is a bit more Soft Machine Third-like, they do share common elements and are a must-listen if you are into creative re-interpretation of Canterbury sounds.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - September 30 2016 at 02:04
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 03:24

Darn, I can't walk (see my previous post for what happened). Spent the whole day in my house, in between kitchen, my room, and the turntable upstairs. It's an interesting experience, though. 
Man, that sucks Ouch Feel better soon, Tymon Thumbs Up

Hey, mate, yes, that was a nice surprise about the Glass Hammer preview! They initially asked would I like to contribute a quote, which I was happy to do, but I figured it was for a Facebook post or something, and then when it showed up on a promo video I nearly fell over!
Your quote is the preview image on both the trailer and the presentation song. Lots of talk about it on FB, I'm seeing you everywhere LOL

No music yesterday, I'm feeling itchy LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 03:29
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

QUOTE=Aussie-Byrd-Brother]Hey, mate, yes, that was a nice surprise about the Glass Hammer preview! They initially asked would I like to contribute a quote, which I was happy to do, but I figured it was for a Facebook post or something, and then when it showed up on a promo video I nearly fell over!
Your quote is the preview image on both the trailer and the presentation song. Lots of talk about it on FB, I'm seeing you everywhere LOL

No music yesterday, I'm feeling itchy LOL
[/QUOTE]
Ha! Actually secretly I'm trying to re-invent myself as the whore of the prog world, spreading myself around with as many people as possible!

No music? Pretty sure that gets you a suspension for the Archives!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 05:14
Hmmmm... whaaaat!? Wacko 

Well, I actually heard some tunes in random while driving but it's not nealy as satisfying as listening to an album. I'm crazy, right? LOL
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 07:09
Over the last few days:

Andy Summers - Mysterious Barricades.
Kanding Ray - Solens Arc.
Stina Nordenstam - The World Is Saved.
Richard Pinhas - Metal / Crystal.
Sharkboy - The Valentine Tapes.
Coil - The Ape Of Naples.
Godflesh versus Khost - Needles Into The Ground EP.
Jochem Paap - Various Ambient Pieces 95 - 98 Volume 1.
Speedy J and Uziq - Sl*g Boom Van Loon.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 10:35

Today's choices for me:

Metallica - Death Magnetic
Sandrose – s/t
Earth and Fire – Song of the Marching Children
Oresund Space Collective – Out into Space (disc 1)
Pendragon – The World
I.Q - The Wake - I swear this is tons better than the debut.
Jadis – More than Meets the Eye - Their one truly great album.
Arena – Songs from the Lion’s Cage - A really strong debut for them.

Marillion – Fugazi - With each passing year, I’m oddly finding the Fish-era Marillion albums more and more cold, shrill and harsh.

Marillion – Holidays in Eden - So many of the Hogarth-led Marillion albums (especially the newer ones) resort to him delivering these mumbled, scattered vocals, so at least this album is very focused and melodic…not every track is a knockout and the album gets a bit `samey’ towards the end, but it’s still a consistently punchy mix of pop/rock smarts and crisp soloing from guitarist Steve Rothery – something of an underrated album.

What a great post/listing. Very interesting my friend. Weirdly enough those a fish era Marillion albums I've come to love more and more, especially that 'clutching at Straws' album. It is such a great reminder to me that I'm really glad I kept my drinking in check over the years. A good teacher fish is. Will leave it at that. :)

Today. (Friday.) have a day off and Monday I have a Symphony X concert to go to. :)

Symphony X-- Underworld
Genesis-- 3 sides live
Depeche mode-- 101 (both A&B discs)
Devin Townsend project-- transcendence
Believe-- Yesterday is a friend
Symphony X-- Divine Wings of Tragety
The mission-- Live & Last (disc 2 only)
IQ-- The Road Of Bones ( both discs)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 22:30
Rush - "Different Stages - Live" disc 3
Tera Melos - "X'ed Out"
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 22:50
Ooh, quite a productive day today in the music department!

Deep Purple - Made In Japan (sides 2-4) - Not quite as impactful as the first side, but you can never really go wrong with the jam on Strange Kind of Woman. The Space Truckin' goes on far, far, far too long, though. Still an essential early hard rock live record, though.

Toubabou - Attente - My first time listening to these guys. I was intrigued after seeing how well they did in my Quebec prog poll a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised; some of the more original jazz fusion I've heard from La Belle Province. Not quite as fond of it as, say, Maneige, but definitely one I'd recommend to other fusion lovers.

Allman Brothers - Shades of Two Worlds - The Betts-Haynes dual guitar dynamic is fantastic; possibly the best Allman lineup since Duane's passing. Some of the more general blues rock material on this one is pretty forgettable, but Nobody Knows and Kind of Bird are phenomenal guitar jams. 

Marshall Tucker Band - Dedicated - This is probably one of the shakier classic MTB albums, but always satisfying to get through. The two or three full-blown pop songs on here are simply laughable. Those ones aside, it's a little difficult to get through the album just because there's a definite melancholy undercurrent to the whole thing, but to hear Ride In Peace at the end makes it all worthwhile. This track was the true send-off to the classic era of Southern Rock. Duane, Ronnie, and Tommy...ride in peace to you all!

Rush - A Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres - I tried to listen to these ones back to back but it just didn't gel... I did just fine until the end of Xanadu, then it started sounding a little repetitive. By the time I was halfway through Book 2 I just couldn't continue. I have no idea what people see in these Rush epics, they're really just hard rock riffing, chunking along, but for 10+ minutes. Now if there was ever a bloated concept in prog, it would be Cygnus X-1... 

Van Halen - Diver Down - This is always a fun album to put on. I guess after the generally dark Fair Warning Van Halen had decided to stop caring and just have fun messing around in the studio. Little Guitars is one of my favourite Roth-era tracks, classical guitar intro and all, and Big Bad Bill is just hilarious.

King Crimson - Lizard - Phenomenal as always. Lizard has got to be the textbook example of experimentation in music that was a resounding success. Very few artists have been able to pull off something so intricate, like clockwork, yet still so atmospheric and expressive. 

Maneige - Les Porches - I experimented with my own alternate track order, starting with side two, then playing "La Grosse Torche" to segue into the title track, and I've gotta say, it works really well! Les Aventures is a perfect intro track and Les Porches De Notre Dame is a grandiose closer. Love it!

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 23:56
Hey, thanks for kind words regarding my leg, everybody!

Yesterday:

Musica Elettronica Viva - Leave the City Nice! I really like early electronic experimental music that came simultaneously with what K(C)luster or Conrad Schnitzler alone have been producing at that time. These guys have a really academic approach to that music, which I appreciate immensly.

Wigwam - Fairyport Love Wigwam. Although this album did not hit me as much as it did the first time I'd heard it, it's still a magnificent record in my ears.

Miles Davis - On the Corner I've recently been carefully investigating Miles Davis' post-1966 era, finding some amazing gems and discovering what an innovative man he was. This album is one of the more difficult ones, but still a great one.

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn I actually forgot how good this album is. Not only does it hold a sentimental value, "Astronomy Domine" always has a very special effect on me, close to bringing tears to my eyes. Amazing album!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 01:59
Friday...

Holy Mount - The Drought  (Toronto, Canada  2016)   Heavy Psych Rock / Stoner Rock  
Aural Hex - Essentia  (Joensuu, Finland  2016)   Psych, doom, stoner trio with minimal vocals
Omega Massif - Geisterstadt  (Wurzburg, Germany  2007)   Instrumental /Doom / Metal 
Russian Circles - Memorial  (Chicago, IL  2013)   Instrumental post rock trio
Tera Melos - Untitled  (Sacramento, CA  2010)   Instrumental experimental math rock trio
Hail The Sun - Culture Scars  (Chico, CA  2016)   Heavy Prog  (would have liked less vocals)
High Priest Of Saturn - High Priest Of Saturn  (Trondheim, Norway  2013)   Heavy Psych / Doom 

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 05:14
Yesterday:

Sun Ra - The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Vol 1
Sun Ra - The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Vol 2
Univers Zero - Ceux du deheurs
Univers Zero - Uzed
The Dead C - Harsh 70's Reality
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 07:56
Saturday morning...better than cartoons now for me at this stage of my life. ;)

Evanescence-- Fallen ( the voice is everything to me on this album)
Prophets of rage-- the party's Over
Genesis-- Nursery Cryme
NIN-- Hesitation Marks
Baroness-- the (Red) album
Slipknot-- Subliminal Verses
Arena-- Contagion ( standard addition)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 10:52
Today i've already listened to:
Il Paradiso degli Orchi - Il Corponauta
Musique Noise - Dans le temps que s'etire
Glass Hammer - Valkyrie

i'm gradually returning to prog againSmile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 11:47
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

Glass Hammer - Valkyrie

Hey, you've been gone for a little while, haven't you, mate? Good to see you again.

Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe Wow, beautiful music. I like how it really successfully makes ambitious, laidback jazz-fusion shake hands with dark, so-called "contemporary classical" (something bugs me about the term though). Nonetheless, it's a great album.

Jurgen Muller - Science of the Sea I've noticed it has recently become trendy for musicians to create fake identities for themselves, inventing various stories of German synthesists. This is a great album. The sound is nothing short of being "fresh" and the title describes the music quite well.

Camel - Moonmadness This Camel album has never been my favorite and I'm yet to see why some consider it to be a stronger effort than Mirage. Yes, it has great tracks (particularly the last two), but it leaves me feeling a little unmoved. Really good, but not great, to me at least.

Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun Have I mentioned that listening to fully improvised noisy music feels like drinking bleach? And I still love to do it! Although the recording quality of this one is very rough, the chemistry is strong!!! Worth hearing if you want to clear your mind off of beautiful melodies once in a while.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 12:33
Midterms are coming up, and you all know how that affects listening time...

Actually it doesn't, I kept up with my work, went ahead a little, and actually I kind of have more time than usual. Standard prog day:

Focus - Focus III
Focus - Moving Waves
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Collegium Musicum - Konvergencie
Hatfield and the North - Hatfield and the North
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 13:32

Glass Hammer - Valkyrie

Hey, you've been gone for a little while, haven't you, mate? Good to see you again.

Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe Wow, beautiful music. I like how it really successfully makes ambitious, laidback jazz-fusion shake hands with dark, so-called "contemporary classical" (something bugs me about the term though). Nonetheless, it's a great album.

Camel - Moonmadness This Camel album has never been my favorite and I'm yet to see why some consider it to be a stronger effort than Mirage. Yes, it has great tracks (particularly the last two), but it leaves me feeling a little unmoved. Really good, but not great, to me at least.

That Eberhard Weber one is delightful. I should really try getting around to listening to more of his stuff. Yellow Fields and and Silent Feet are my two favourites of his.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you about Moonmadness. I used to consider that one and Mirage as equals but Mirage has much better staying power whereas Moonmadness loses its magic after a while. I can see why some might consider it better, though; while Mirage is a consistent album start to finish I've always found Moonmadness to have more peaks and valleys, ups and downs, and I guess that the highlights of Moonmadness stand out stronger to some people than the ones on Mirage do.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 14:24

Glass Hammer - Valkyrie

Pretty much my number 1 and 2 prog albums of 2016 so far for me!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 14:34

I will tell you one thing I get a bit of a guilty laugh from, Jim...I think a bit of confusion sometimes comes from my alias of Aussie-Byrd-Brother (which I kind of regret in retrospect, but it was initally a way to fly under the radar of my loopy ex-partner! ). I've noticed several instances where some artists have nicely made mention of a review of mine on their Facebook page, or had some nice correspondance with me, where they've sometimes said `Wow, it's so exciting that we're so popular in Australia!!!', and in my mind I'm like, `Er, wait a minute...'

I think it's just a gentle misunderstanding (always with the artists that don't hail from English-speaking countries)...I mean, just because I'm the lunatic that gets these albums shipped over here!

Indeed.  It has always been something of an adventure for me trying to communicate with many Italian musicians.  Bless their heart they use English with me, for it is the only way we could communicate.  There have been a few times when I've gotten a full-on Italian reply from someone who spoke little or no English.  In those cases, Raffa and Andrea P have been so helpful. 

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 21:37
Let's see....

Pumpkins - Adore
Rollins Band - Live / The Only Way to Know for Sure
Iona - Another Realm
Sabb - TE

There is no better music for working out than Rollins Band.  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 520>