Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 10:32
Fairport Convention - 'Liege & Lief': Really nice mix of traditional folky jigs and a bit of rock jamming. Add Sandy Denny with flowers in her hair and I'm all set. Pleasing stuff, and I really dig Tam Lin.

The Pentangle - 'Basket of Light': More folk prog with some rock thrown in, and this one's right up there. It's like I want to roam the English countryside and guzzle so much tea that I could flood the Fens. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 11:23
Stick Men - Prog Noir
Mike Keneally - Scambot 2
Popol Vuh - In Den Gärten Pharaos
Vago Sagrado - s/t
New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 12:03
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Popol Vuh - In Den Gärten Pharaos

ClapLove this album so much! What are your thoughts on it, Sam?
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 21:32
Birds and Buildings - Multi-Purpose Trap - Although I prefer Bantam To Behemoth, this one is still so incredibly twisted, complex and downright cool. My only complaint with Birds and Buildings is that I wish they didn't include any vocals in their songs; there's enough going on with just the instrumental arrangements, so why clutter it up with generally weak singing? Having said that, this is still one of my favourite modern releases. Catapult is one powerhouse track.  

Gentle Giant - Octopus - A personal favourite, as I'm sure it is for many. Absolutely hated it at first, but now I just can't get over how tight the playing is and just how many ideas they packed into such a short collection of short songs. And it's so consistent, too; there isn't a single weak minute on the whole album. Simply incredible, and always a delight to put on. 

Magma - Kobaia - This is another first listen for me as part of my Zeuhl expansion binge. Love how creative Vander & Co. are; no shortage of interesting ideas to be heard here. Definitely one I'll be revisiting fairly often.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 21:49
Steely Dan - "The Royal Scam"
Japanese Breakfast - "Psychopomp"
Slowdive - "Souvlaki"
Kayo Dot - "Plastic House on Base of Sky"
Ultimate Painting - s/t
Antonín Dvořák/Barry Tuckwell/The London Symphony Orchestra - "Symphony No. 9 'New World' / Carnival Overture"
Kayo Dot - "Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue"
Johannes Brahms / Robert Schumann / BRT Philharmonic Orchestra, Brussels / Alexander Rahbari - "Brahms • Schumann: Symphonies"
Johannes Brahms / The Halle Orchestra / Sir John Barbirolli - "Symphony No. 4 In E Minor, Op. 98"
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 23:06
Today I've listened to (in non-classical):

Plus a bit of Shining on Youtube SmileSmile
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 00:48
Thursday...

Ultramafic - Ultramafic  (Arcata, CA  2016)   Instrumental heavy stoner power trio 
Brunt - Brunt  (Guernsey  2014)   Instrumental psych, doom, sludge trio 
Lee Van Cleef - Holy Smoke  (Naples, Italy  2016)   Heavy instrumental psychedelic guitar driven jams
Dead Otter - Pathfinder  (Glasgow, Scotland  10-26-16)   Mostly instrumental psychedelic hard rock jams 
DeepSpacePilots - Point Of No Return  (Chicago, IL  2016)   Psych, stoner, doom trio 
Hypnos 69 - The Intrigue Of Perception  (Diest, Belgium  2004)   Psychedelic progressive rock 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 03:30
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

ClapLove this album so much! What are your thoughts on it, Sam?
It's definitely an improvement over the debut: better production, musical ideas and the band sounds more confident. The second part with organ and percussion is very much to my liking Cool

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Birds and Buildings - Multi-Purpose Trap - Although I prefer Bantam To Behemoth, this one is still so incredibly twisted, complex and downright cool. My only complaint with Birds and Buildings is that I wish they didn't include any vocals in their songs; there's enough going on with just the instrumental arrangements, so why clutter it up with generally weak singing? Having said that, this is still one of my favourite modern releases. Catapult is one powerhouse track.
Fortunately the vocals are so low in the mix that they barely offend Tongue
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 09:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Stick Men - Prog Noir

Sam, about a week ago unfortunately I've missed the Stick Men concert in Tel Aviv, although I only know their debut I still wanted to go after seeing them live as part of The Crimson Project, so anyway how do you feel about this album?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 09:13
^ I checked it thanks to Ivan's review, although I never heard anything from them before. Like any KC or related album, it's difficult to have a clear opinion at first listen, but it seemed quite accessible despite the incredible musicianship.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:29
Depeche Mode - Violator
Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquième Saison
Maneige - Les Porches
Nil - Nil Novo Sub Sole

Edited by Meltdowner - October 28 2016 at 11:31
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 13:25
Friday after a very busy week.

Mike Westbrook Orchestra – Metropolis This. Is. BRILLIANT!!! I love the English jazz scene (which some of you might already know) and no, not only for its connections with the Canterbury scene. Metropolis is a big-band type of affair, but not a traditional one. The artificial term “avant-fusion” comes to mind as the primary influence. This sounds like a giant concert of the most sublime musicians played in the most beautiful place on earth. And is it progressive? YES! You need to hear this.

Samla Mammas Manna – Måltid Really like this album. As funny and entertaining as it is, there are quite a few places that are quite demanding and would appeal only to some. Although out of the three SMM albums from the 70’s, for some reason, this one is my least favorite, it occupies  a special spot in my heart. Great listen!

Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention  - Weasels Ripped My Flesh Along with Uncle Meat, this is my favorite Zappa album. It features my favorite Zappa composition, “Oh No/Orange County Lumber Truck”, which I consider the most representative of how Zappa was influential on countless prog/jazz bands from England. Fabulous album!

Franco Leprino - Integrati ... Disintegrati I first heard about this album just a few hours ago over at one of the threads here and by what I’ve heard on the little YouTube link, I needed to investigate this record right away. It’s superb. Beautiful composition and what sounds like incredibly proficient performance. I will definitely be coming back to this one.

Bernie Maupin – The Jewel in the Lotus Never enough of those ECM releases, huh? Bernie Maupin apparently played bass clarinet on Bitches Brew. This is his first solo album and it’s very tasty. It has a souly element, but for the most part it’s avant-garde jazz compositions with a fusion sauce. Very original music.

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 13:47
^I much prefer Samla Mammas Manna debut than Maltid to be honest
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 16:28
Dark Funeral - 'The Secrets of the Black Arts': The most admirable aspect here is the stamina of the drummer thanks to consistent blasting on his kit. First I was impressed, then amused, then annoyed.

Trees - 'On the Shore': Brilliance. Probably my favorite release from that late 60's/early 70's prog folk/rock scene featuring female vocals. The great guitarwork and snazzy solos play a role in this opinion.

Marduk - 'Opus Nocturne': Another black metal blast-happy deal? Yeah, kind-of...but unlike that Dark Funeral release, this bugger boasts a great atmosphere and some cool riffs. Killer howls too. Good stuff.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 16:49
Herbie Hancock - Sextant - Tymon, are you familiar with this one? If you aren't, it seems to me like the kind of thing you'd be into. Not free jazz, per se, but there are quite some abstract and dissonant moments. Very cool, though; I can't even begin to describe the atmosphere. Both futuristic and sci-fi, but also primordial and earthy. And great album art, too.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 17:23
Vas Deferens Organization - Drug Bubbles
King Crimson - Discipline
Jean Louis - Jean Louis
The Mothers of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh (I second this and Uncle Meat being the best albums by the Mothers)
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (was a bigger fan of this in my melodramatic teenage years, holds up surprisingly well)
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 21:07
Steely Dan - "Alive in America"
Porches - "Pool"
Japanese Breakfast - "Psychopomp"
Zebra Zebra - "I'm Still Playing"
thescientist - "Twintastic Fantastic"
Steely Dan - "Countdown to Ecstasy"
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 21:19
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Samla Mammas Manna – Måltid Really like this album. As funny and entertaining as it is, there are quite a few places that are quite demanding and would appeal only to some. Although out of the three SMM albums from the 70’s, for some reason, this one is my least favorite, it occupies  a special spot in my heart. Great listen!

Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention  - Weasels Ripped My Flesh Along with Uncle Meat, this is my favorite Zappa album. It features my favorite Zappa composition, “Oh No/Orange County Lumber Truck”, which I consider the most representative of how Zappa was influential on countless prog/jazz bands from England. Fabulous album!

I adore these two very much! Clap

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 22:54
Friday...

Hypnos 69 - Legacy  (Diest, Belgium  2010)   Psychedelic space rock 
Cuzo - Alquimia Para Principiantes  (Barcelona, Spain  2012)   Instrumental psychedelic stoner rock trio 
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring  (Boston, MA  2011)   Heavy psychedelic rock, stoner rock trio 
Pet The Preacher - The Cave & The Sunlight  (Copenhagen, Denmark  2014)   Hard rock, blues rock trio
Mothers Of The Land - Temple Without Walls  (Vienna, Austria  2016)   Instrumental psych, stoner rock with dual lead guitars

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 23:17
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Herbie Hancock - Sextant - Tymon, are you familiar with this one? If you aren't, it seems to me like the kind of thing you'd be into. Not free jazz, per se, but there are quite some abstract and dissonant moments. Very cool, though; I can't even begin to describe the atmosphere. Both futuristic and sci-fi, but also primordial and earthy. And great album art, too.

Yeah, I have heard bits of Sextant a few times, but never the whole album. I will have to listen to it, because it sounds totally like my cup of tea. Me and my uncle have been groovin' to Crossings a few weeks ago and we really liked it. Thanks for the recommendation, mate! Smile The cover is indeed amazing.
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

^I much prefer Samla Mammas Manna debut than Maltid to be honest

Me too. Although I think SMM is much better with Coste Apetrea on guitar, I seem to like the compositions on their debut a bit more. Loads of great keyboard sounds there.
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

I adore these two very much! Clap

Smile

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 28 2016 at 23:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 522>