Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 99100101102103 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 12:12
Larry Coryell (RIP) & John McLaughlin - Spaces
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention - We're Only in It for the Money
Brainticket - Celestial Ocean
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 21:29
Tangerine Dream - Atem - Wow, this is a cool album! Say what you want about the majesty of Rubycon or Phaedra, the opening to this one is possibly the most epic, bombastic, dynamic thing that Tangerine Dream ever put out. Simply incredible. 

Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri - Man, these early Tangerine Dream albums were cool. Definitely a lot more elements to their sound than when they got fixated on using sequencers in the mid-70's. The organ that starts this one off is a nice touch in particular, and the flute later on. Breathtaking stuff. 

Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel - I just can't get enough of this trippy cosmic stuff tonight. Only this one has more of a punk edge to it than the Tangerine Dream ones did. More like getting caught in the midst of a supernova or a scorching cloud of interstellar dust than drifting through the void, if you will. 

Lift - Caverns of Your Brain - Got a little intrigued by the name and cover art. A not-bad-but-not-remarkable American obscurity from the late 70's. The guitar and keyboard players are pretty good whenever they really get going, but ultimately I can't see myself adding this one to the collection. Actually, listening to the last track in particular, I feel like this band would have been great to see live. The rhythm section really is rock solid, and the bassist is on fire. But this second rate studio recording doesn't really do it justice.

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - February 23 2017 at 21:40
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 02:17
Thursday...

Mantric Muse - Mantric Muse  (Copenhagen, Denmark  2012)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

Space Mirrors - Memories Of The Future  (Moscow, Russia  2006)
Psychedelic space rock jams with minimal vocals 

Hypnos 69 - Legacy  (Diest, Belgium  2010)
Psychedelic prog 

Electric Age - Sleep Of The Silent King  (Southern Louisiana 2017)
"A swampy mix of hard rock and metal"

All Them Witches - Sleeping Through The War  (Nashville, TN  2017)
Second listen, still sounds good.

Mars Red Sky - Apex III  (Bordeaux, France  2016)
Stoner, desert, doom, metal 

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Don't Get Lost  (San Francisco, CA  2017)
Psychedelic rock, garage, folk 

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 06:04
^ Still haven't heard that Mantric Muse album...and they're Danish for crying out loud!

How's the new Brian Jonestown Massacre btw Gary? Such a big fan of Anton - in fact ever since I first saw the now cult-like documentary called Dig! Talk about sex, drugs and rock n roll

Yesterday:
Miles - In A Silent Way
Arco Iris - Sudamerica
NEU! - s/t
A.R. & Machines - Die Grüne Reise
Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
Suicide - s/t
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Moving Gelatine Plates - The World Of Genius Hans
Necromonkey - Show Me Where It Hertz
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 06:37
Listening to The Melvins' EP The Bulls and the Bees craked to ELEVEN.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 08:26
^^  David, you really need to listen to Mantric Muse, especially if you're a fan of Oresund Space Collective. 
The new album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre is my first experience with the band and I enjoyed the first listen. There's a variety of vocal styles and music but the album still maintains a loose consistency from beginning to end. I will definitely be listening to it more and it will probably be my first purchase from the band. 
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 21:45
Alternative TV - Vibing Up The Senile Man
Throbbing Gristle - The Second Annual Report
Einsturzende Neubauten - Halber Mensch
Diamanda Galas - Diamanda Galas
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 02:17
Friday...

Electric Magma - Canadian Samurai II  (Toronto, Canada  2012)
Instrumental stoner rock power trio

Stone Oak Cosmonaut - One Evening In The Desert  (Utrecht, Netherlands  2015)
Psychedelic, stoner, space rock 

Spaceking - The Piper At The Gates Of Stone  (Saint Petersburg, Russia  2016)
Instrumental, stoner, metal  

Stonia - Chaos Legacy  (Greece  2017)
Instrumental blues rock, psych, stoner 

Electric Valley - Two Realities At War  (Madrid, Spain  2017)
Desert, stoner, psych trio 

WolveSpirit - Blue Eyes   (Wurzburg, Germany  2017)
FFOBR - Hard rock, psych rock with heavy guitar and Hammond 

REZN - Let It Burn   (Chicago, IL  2017)
Heavy psych, doom, fuzz 

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 04:36
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^^  David, you really need to listen to Mantric Muse, especially if you're a fan of Oresund Space Collective. 
The new album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre is my first experience with the band and I enjoyed the first listen. There's a variety of vocal styles and music but the album still maintains a loose consistency from beginning to end. I will definitely be listening to it more and it will probably be my first purchase from the band. 

Ahh this is your BJM cherry being picked? Do yourself a favour and check out that documentary at some point - here's a small taste: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8gOOXljpc
It is rather brilliant and it shows the band at it's musical peak during the mid 90s.
Their most recent albums (or indeed Anton's) are also pretty good imo...but I am a massive fan.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 11:10
Steve Tibbetts - Steve Tibbetts Amazing experimental guitar-based music, somewhat similar to many ECM releases. Steve Tibbetts is probably my favorite guitarist at the moment, his musical personality and ideas are exceedingly original. The last track, “How Do You Like My Buddha?” is one of the best pieces I’ve heard in the last month or so. Highly recommended!

Deuter - D The guitar is also a prominent instrument on this album, but it’s obviously much different, considering the time and the place it was recorded in. D is dripping with meditative oriental arrangements for electric guitar, sitar, and organ. I remember when I was discovering krautrock and heard this album for the first time - I was blown away. It still remains an album I really love.

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts One of my favorite classic prog albums, if not my number one. This one evokes images no other album can produce in my mind. For me, “Plague of Lighthouse Keepers” is a particularly intriguing experience, because, on one hand, it seems like the epic never ends, as if an infinite supply of segments and ideas are waiting around the corner, and on the other, it never gets boring.

Asmus Tietchens - Der Fünfte Himmel It wasn’t until hearing “Atommacht Indien” from this album that I found out about this legendary musician, whose album covers, seemed to ring a bell when I looked at them. This is one of his newer albums, but it’s situated somewhere in the experimental rhythmic lo-fi ambient realm, not all that far from Musik von Harmonia, although more modern. Very enjoyable.

C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell One of my favorite unknown psychedelic rock obscurities. This really does sound like a trip thru hell. There is something very “Aleister Crowley” about the feeling of this album and the evil atmosphere is enhanced by the use of those Mexican-sounding trumpets. Excellent!

Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron I did not find anything that would particularly impress me on this album, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. It is indeed a spacey psychedelic album like so many, but songwriting and use of electronic devices definitely stand out here.

Nurse with Wound - Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella I have been putting off checking Nurse with Wound out for a longer while and felt like I was in the mood to check Steven Stapleton’s music out. The music is really interesting. It’s all dirty noisy improvisation, but it does not get on your nerves, it’s incredible to just sit down and listen to this.

Joe Meek & the Blue Men - I Hear a New World I just have a real soft spot for space-age music. Sometimes things age so much, you can find something very modern and fresh about them. That’s the case with this one.

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 11:15
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Nurse with Wound - Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella I have been putting off checking Nurse with Wound out for a longer while and felt like I was in the mood to check Steven Stapleton’s music out. The music is really interesting. It’s all dirty noisy improvisation, but it does not get on your nerves, it’s incredible to just sit down and listen to this.

Ah, one of my favorite albums, glad to see you're looking into the immortal NWW. Be sure to check out Homotopy to Marie, Merzbild Schwet, and Soliloquy For Lilith. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 13:37
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Ah, one of my favorite albums, glad to see you're looking into the immortal NWW. Be sure to check out Homotopy to Marie, Merzbild Schwet, and Soliloquy For Lilith. 

Thanks for the recommendations! Smile I will ilisten to Soliloquy For Lilith, I have heard many good things about it and I think I even have that on CD (or my Dad has, I should say).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 18:58
Jon Hassel - Fourth World Volume Two: Dream Theory in Malaya
Naked City - Grand Guignol
Coil - How To Destroy Angels
June of 44 - Engine Takes To The Water
Gorguts - Obscura
Gary Burton - A Genuine Tong Funeral (RIP Larry Coryell)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 00:41
Saturday...

Siena Root - Pioneers   (Stockholm, Sweden  2014)
Blues based hard rock, psychedelic, heavy prog 

Electric Valley - Multiverse  (Madrid, Spain  2015)
Desert, blues rock, stoner, fuzz trio 

Humanoid - The Mists Of Pluto  (Porto, Portugal  2017)
Mostly instrumental, psychedelic, space, stoner

Hypnos 69 - The Eclectic Measure  (Diest, Belgium  2006)
Heavy psych, space, stoner, prog 

Brutus - Behind The Mountains  (Oslo, Norway  2013)
Classic hard rock, blues rock with dual guitars

Deadneck - Levitation  (Lappeenranta, Finland  2017)
Heavy blues rock, stoner, doom 

Hammada - Sfaira   (Freiberg, Germany  2017)
"Downtuned psychedelic stoner rock"

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 04:52
Last two days:

Plat du Jour – s/t
Lethe – s/t
Arena – The Seventh Degree of Separation
Arena – Pepper’s Ghost
Ayreon – Into the Electric Castle (disc 1)
Mantra Vega – The Illusion’s Reckoning
Dave Kerzner – New World
Nemo – Coma
Big Big Train – English Electric: part two
Big Big Train - Folklore
Steve Roach – The Passing
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 12:15
Charlemagne Palestine - Strumming Music
Basil Kirchin - Worlds Within Worlds
Don Bradshaw-Leather - Distance Between Us
Nurse with Wound - To the Quiet Men From a Tiny Girl
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 02:18
Moulin Rouge - Moulin Rouge Sun  (Athens, Greece  2017)
Instrumental desert rock, stoner rock

Particula - El Pasado No Ha Servido Para Nada  (Alicante, Spain  2017)
Psychedelic, space, krautrock, doom trio 

Sonora - The Fire From Within EP  (Barnaul, Russia  2017)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

Into Orbit - Unearthing  (Wellington, New Zealand  2017)
Instrumental, space, post metal, doom  (guitar and drums duo)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 03:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahh this is your BJM cherry being picked? Do yourself a favour and check out that documentary at some point - here's a small taste: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8gOOXljpc
It is rather brilliant and it shows the band at it's musical peak during the mid 90s.
Their most recent albums (or indeed Anton's) are also pretty good imo...but I am a massive fan.
You'll probably think less of me, but I had the chance to see them at a festival last year, and I slept for a couple of hours instead LOL According to reviews, the band was incredibly bored, so I guess I didn't miss much.

German Friday:
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Faust - IV (Very experimental but accessible at the same time, similarly to "Future Days".)
Deuter - Celebration (Got to agree with the hazy afternoon part.)
Kraftwerk - Computer World

Cleaning Saturday:
Kasabian - s/t (The Mellotron is strong with this one.)
Franz Ferdinand - Right Notes, Right Words, Wrong Order (When the bonus CD is better than the actual album.)
Maserati - Rehumanizer
The Crooked Vultures - s/t

Mike Sunday:
Mike Oldfield - Return to Ommadawn (5.1 DTS. I was wondering how this one would work in surround, without many tracks for five channels, but it's lovely. Sometimes he puts the main tracks in front and background tracks, like keyboards and percussion, in the back but it also alternates. There are also lots of guitar delays to fill in the space, some with back and forth effects. It's good for a change, I have so many SWilson surround mixes, that it becomes very predictable.)
Michael Brückner & Tommy Betzler - Triplet
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 04:27
Stil pretty nice that Deuter one, eh Sam?

Tonight's choices for me:

Finisterre – s/t – such a cracking 90’s RPI album, truly one of the best from that decade.
Neal Morse – Sola Scriptura
Sound of Contact – Dimensionaut
Arti e Mestieri - Tilt
Gong – Angels Egg
Gong – You
Finch – Glory of the Inner Force
Plat du Jour – s/t
Jack Hertz and Wolfgang Gsell - Sleeping Trees on Earth
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 11:34
^ Yeah, it's really nice.
I barely know any 90's RPI, what do you suggest besides Finisterre?

Today:
Kosmischer Läufer - Volume One
Kosmischer Läufer - Volume Two
Mantra Vega - The Illusion's Reckoning
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 99100101102103 522>