Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 20:18
Caravan  - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Rush - Hemispheres
Muse - Drones
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Opeth - Sorceress
Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Beardfish - The Void
Lonely Robot - Please Come Home
Cheap Trick - We're All Alright!
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 03:29
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Birds and Buildings - Bantam To Behemoth

...aaaand finishing it all off with the coolest space-themed South American album of all time! 
Arco Iris - Agitor Lucens V
By the way, what do you think of Crucis' debut?

I looked into that B&B album yesterday on Discogs, since I bought the second a while ago. It's very expensive for a CD.

Ah, you got my attention :D

Last night:
Iron Maiden - Book of Souls (1 of 3 LP's)
Yes - Gooooing for the One
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
Steve Roach - Structures From Silence
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 07:55
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Birds and Buildings - Bantam To Behemoth

...aaaand finishing it all off with the coolest space-themed South American album of all time! 
Arco Iris - Agitor Lucens V
By the way, what do you think of Crucis' debut?

I looked into that B&B album yesterday on Discogs, since I bought the second a while ago. It's very expensive for a CD.

Ah, you got my attention :D

Crucis' debut is another good one. Not as "proggy" as Mariscal since the songs are shorter and more compact, but the musicianship is definitely still there. It doesn't have any spacey element to it, either, but it still has some solid grooves.

Jeepers, yeah, that Birds and Buildings CD is expensive. Wacko I just downloaded it for $10 on iTunes. Tongue

And yeah, that Arco Iris one comes highly recommended. Normally I find concept albums beyond cheesy but this one is based around alleged pre-Columbian extraterrestrial contact with the Andean peoples. How sweet is that? The music is pretty sweet, too, with an eclectic blend of jazz, Andean folk, and, of course, psychedelic rock. And despite being a double album, it doesn't feel too long at all. Probably one of my 5 favourite South American albums. Be warned if you ever plan to buy it on CD, though. The "official" release cuts off the last 15 minutes and completely screws up the track titles. Angry Luckily it, too, is available on iTunes now.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 12:24
Quiet Sun - Mainstream
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 03:08

Crucis' debut is another good one. Not as "proggy" as Mariscal since the songs are shorter and more compact, but the musicianship is definitely still there. It doesn't have any spacey element to it, either, but it still has some solid grooves.

Jeepers, yeah, that Birds and Buildings CD is expensive. Wacko I just downloaded it for $10 on iTunes. Tongue

And yeah, that Arco Iris one comes highly recommended. Normally I find concept albums beyond cheesy but this one is based around alleged pre-Columbian extraterrestrial contact with the Andean peoples. How sweet is that? The music is pretty sweet, too, with an eclectic blend of jazz, Andean folk, and, of course, psychedelic rock. And despite being a double album, it doesn't feel too long at all. Probably one of my 5 favourite South American albums. Be warned if you ever plan to buy it on CD, though. The "official" release cuts off the last 15 minutes and completely screws up the track titles. Angry Luckily it, too, is available on iTunes now.
OK. I'll go back to that one later.

Eh, for me it's CD/vinyl or nothing, I never even downloaded the few digital albums I bought on Bandcamp (which is why I haven't released my own album yet).

I was expecting Space Rock but it was just as good, and very eclectic indeed. I didn't pay attention to the concept but it can't be cheesier than "10000 Anos Depois..." Tongue
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 04:18
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Eh, for me it's CD/vinyl or nothing, I never even downloaded the few digital albums I bought on Bandcamp

Hey Samuel, do you fear any kind of digital contamination I'm not aware of ? Geek

Because lately I practically only download (generally in over-CD resolution whenever available, which is becoming ever more frequent)

Listening right now to Big Big Train, just out on bandcamp (HiRes)

Edited by Quinino - June 23 2017 at 04:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 04:37
^ No, I stream all day at work. I enjoy collecting as well as picking the albums from the shelf and play the album, read the booklet, look at the artwork, etc. I already have so much digital interaction all day that I need a different experience at home.
I didn't specify more, I have some albums on DVD/BD and would buy more if there was more selection.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 04:55
Yeah, I'm from the time we carried the LP under our arm to show off at school Clown
When (if...) one day I go back to vinyl, it will have that additional  power to recall my younger age (good/bad?) besides the pleasure you mention
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 05:02
I am one of those who prefers a tangible release as well. I hate when artists only do digital releases although I fully understand why.
As for myself; I want the full vinyl cover art and I want to sniff in the grooves and recycled cardboard. Digital is the smart option especially if you have a girlfriend, but it is a cold medium imo. All subjective I know and I some times I secretly envy my old friend who got rid of all his cds and lps. Now he has room for an indoor swimming pool and a small horse.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 05:19
^^ I used to bring my CD's to listen at school. In the era of MP3 players it was already uncool even without showing off LOL
I don't think one invalidates the other, just like I alternate between CD and vinyl. Sometimes I miss the sound/experience of vinyl and other times I don't have patience to flip or I'm tired of background noise (especially with Electronic music) and play a CD.

^ I'm starting to understand why too. Eh, who needs a girlfriend, a swimming pool and a horse? LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 05:27
Out of the three the horse is obviously the most importantWink
We're far too many people on this earth anyway.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 05:33
Yeah, fuel is so expensive that having a horse is really not a bad idea :P
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 05:40
Me yesterday:

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
John Coltrane - Coltrane For Lovers (I've changed my mind Samuel - THIS one is the best way of getting people into jazz...in a soft and very melodic manner no less. Music never makes me weep but this one almost did last night.)
Klaus Schulze - Androgyn (2017 back catalogue release)
Angles 9 - Disappeared Behind The Sun (Brilliant new big band fusion in the vein of avant Sun Ra. Blew my cat straight through the living room!)
Avec Le Soleil Sortant De Sa Bouche - Pas Pire Pop, I Love You So Much (Krautrock and zeuhl makes a post rock baby?)
Faust - Fresh Air
Grails - Chalice Hymnal
Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - Il Ludere (I was interested in hearing the new album to see if my opinion of them had changed or if they'd changed path...I didn't and they haven't. Cheese on cheese.)
La Bocca Della Verita - Avenoth (Much better cheese! Really been digging this album recently.)
The Orb - COW (Chill Out World!) 

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 23 2017 at 05:42

- Douglas Adams
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 07:42
Yesterday's albums: 

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster
Sea Level - Cats On The Coast
Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 11:01
Some really good stuff today. Big smile

Cluster - Cluster '71
Hailu Mergia and the Walias - Tche Belew
Sun Araw - Ancient Romans
Nik Pascal Raicevic - Beyond the Eternity... End
DOM - Edge of Time (did this just become one of my all-time favorite albums today?)
Sun Ra & His Solar-Myth Arkestra - Solar-Myth Approach vol. 1
Zippo Zetterlink - In the Poor Sun
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 11:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

John Coltrane - Coltrane For Lovers (I've changed my mind Samuel - THIS one is the best way of getting people into jazz...in a soft and very melodic manner no less. Music never makes me weep but this one almost did last night.)
Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - Il Ludere (I was interested in hearing the new album to see if my opinion of them had changed or if they'd changed path...I didn't and they haven't. Cheese on cheese.)
La Bocca Della Verita - Avenoth (Much better cheese! Really been digging this album recently.)!) 
Never heard it, but it can't be worse than those late night Jazz songs with drippy vocals people listen to.

They changed... it's a less vintage cheese now :P

Got to agree, good to hear that.

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

DOM - Edge of Time (did this just become one of my all-time favorite albums today?)
It's not difficult to imagine :)

I went all over the place today:
Haken - Affinity
Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork
Pristine - Ninja
Marta Ren & The Groovelvets - Stop Look Listen
Giorgio Moroder - From Here to Eternity
Kim Wilde - s/t
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 12:01
It does sound very close to those old timey jazz recordings one hears over the radio without the artificial sweetener.

I definitely also hear a more contemporary cheese unfolding, but it isn't helping.

Hey btw you guys - do you own the cd version of that DOM album? If so then how about that Flotenmensch?
Soooo incredibly strange and avant tune one seriously ponders whether or not it was made by the same group. Free ticket to the mad house!

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 12:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hey btw you guys - do you own the cd version of that DOM album? If so then how about that Flotenmensch?
Soooo incredibly strange and avant tune one seriously ponders whether or not it was made by the same group. Free ticket to the mad house!

I like the album just by itself, without the bonus tracks. They are good, but not for sustaining the experience with the original recording. "Flötenmenschen" is quite nice, though  "Let Me Explain" sounds like a remix to me or just a later recording. It's dead good, though.

But seriously, guys, I listened to Edge of Time today, just lying on my bed and drowning in the sonic texture - it carried me so far! I rarely get experiences this intense with music. "Silence" is so unbelieveably hypnotic, evocative. At one point, I even had dream-like visions. As pathetic as that might sound, it really felt like a spiritual awakening. What an excellent album. Fascinating how powerful music can be.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 23 2017 at 12:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 12:29
My vinyl copy has these bonus tracks on a second disc, which I only played once. Maybe I should give a listen to that one only, it sounds terrible after such a sublime album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 13:16
Heh I kinda feel the same way. I only listen to Flotenmenschen on it's own. It's just from another planet compared to the album. To me it feels produced much in the same manner as The Cosmic Jokers: invite a couple of musicians over to the studio. Spike their drinks with acid. Secretly record their drugfuelled jam.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 520>